PDA

View Full Version : Different shaped putter heads & putting strokes

FuzzyJuzzy
14th January 2018, 12:28 PM
Of late I’ve been alternating between an Odyssey #7 and Odyssey #9 putter, and I’ve had good putting rounds and bad putting rounds with both.
Obviously it comes down to the Indian and not the arrow more than anything else, but I know certain shaped putter heads suit certain types of putting strokes more than others. So I’m just curious - what type of stroke is the #7 shape meant to suit and what type is the #9 shape intended to suit? I’m thinking I should probably try to settle on one type of putter.
Thanks for any input Gents. Appreciate it, FJ.

Captain Nemo
14th January 2018, 12:42 PM
There's a thing SC put out a while ago showing head shapes for swing paths etc...Google or YouTube it.

davidw88
14th January 2018, 01:38 PM
Has to do with how the shaft goes into the head etc. and how much toe hang or if it is face balanced and all that, but certain alignment marks make a difference as well.

benno_r
14th January 2018, 02:02 PM
I have major doubts head style has an effect on putting stroke. Putters with more toe hang are supposed to be for "arc" strokes, where face balanced is for straight back straight through. The idea is the toe hang helps with release.

A putter head might move at 5-10mph - the amount of inertia in the head is not going to overcome the strength of your arms / hands holding the grip.

IMO - buy a putter you feel confident looking down at.

Dotty
14th January 2018, 02:13 PM
Has to do with how the shaft goes into the head etc. and how much toe hang or if it is face balanced and all that, but certain alignment marks make a difference as well.
+1.

If I concentrate, then something with the hands going through the ball (like #7) works. But when it goes off, it really goes off.
I like a heel shafted putter (like #9), as it feels like the other 13 clubs in the bag, but needs well controlled hands.
The Anser 2 will generally knock these out of the bag, due to ease of use, especially distance control.

3Puttpete
14th January 2018, 03:50 PM
I have major doubts head style has an effect on putting stroke. Putters with more toe hang are supposed to be for "arc" strokes, where face balanced is for straight back straight through. The idea is the toe hang helps with release.

A putter head might move at 5-10mph - the amount of inertia in the head is not going to overcome the strength of your arms / hands holding the grip.

IMO - buy a putter you feel confident looking down at.And any stroke longer than a foot has an arc of some sort.

I reckon your mate Scotty says the same thing.

Bigbad
14th January 2018, 05:10 PM
I alternate between a #7 and a TM Juno blade. At the moment I’m using the blade, but when I feel I lose my stroke I go back to the odyssey 7. Like it’s been mentioned by Benno, the 7 is meant to suit a straight back straight through stroke, and the blade is the arc. I actually prefer looking st a blade, but know that it’s nice to go back to the mallet from time to time.

davidw88
14th January 2018, 05:46 PM
I use a #7s and I find I can line that style of putter up better, always seem to putt better wth a putter with straight lines, not a curved head shape.

benno_r
14th January 2018, 06:12 PM
And any stroke longer than a foot has an arc of some sort.

I reckon your mate Scotty says the same thing.I agree that any stroke over a foot has an arc too.

I also think toe hang vs "stroke style" / "arc style" (whatever you want to call it), is more effect of marketing, not physics.

I mean, it is Scotty we are talking about.

3Puttpete
14th January 2018, 06:42 PM
I agree that any stroke over a foot has an arc too.

I also think toe hang vs "stroke style" / "arc style" (whatever you want to call it), is more effect of marketing, not physics.

I mean, it is Scotty we are talking about.Are you saying it's marketing hype? As if!

Captain Nemo
14th January 2018, 08:02 PM
Whether it's SC, Odyssey or whoever, it's not marketing hype.
Go visit someone with Sam putt lab or the like, and they will tell you and show you different
I'd like Kari to join this conversation....

benno_r
14th January 2018, 08:24 PM
Whether it's SC, Odyssey or whoever, it's not marketing hype.
Go visit someone with Sam putt lab or the like, and they will tell you and show you different
I'd like Kari to join this conversation....It's funny you say that.

When I got my SAM putt lab done it showed head shape / neck style made little difference.

Captain Nemo
14th January 2018, 08:27 PM
It's funny you say that.When I got my SAM putt lab done it showed head shape / neck style made little difference. Maybe your just a really good putter, or the putter you had with you was best suited for you.

benno_r
14th January 2018, 08:38 PM
Maybe your just a really good putter, or the putter you had with you was best suited for you.Ha! It showed I am certainly not a good putter. I am consistently bad though.

I took 3 of my own putters, a mid mallet, a countetbalanced mallet, and an anser style.

I understand the concept of why they do it, but when you look at the inertia implications of 350g moving at 10km/hr, the difference is minimal.

timah!
14th January 2018, 08:53 PM
I don’t buy into it. Pick something you like looking down at. That’s a good place to start with to gain confidence.

Johnny Canuck
14th January 2018, 11:47 PM
Of late I’ve been alternating between an Odyssey #7 and Odyssey #9 putter, and I’ve had good putting rounds and bad putting rounds with both.
Obviously it comes down to the Indian and not the arrow more than anything else, but I know certain shaped putter heads suit certain types of putting strokes more than others. So I’m just curious - what type of stroke is the #7 shape meant to suit and what type is the #9 shape intended to suit? I’m thinking I should probably try to settle on one type of putter.
Thanks for any input Gents. Appreciate it, FJ.

Odyssey 7 is for a straight back and through stroke, 9 is for a strong arc.

I am a big believer in putters to suit swings.

I personally achieved by far my best putting results once I made the switch to a face balanced putter.

Jerrymoo
15th January 2018, 11:49 AM
I am a big believer in putters to suit swings...

Ditto.

I recall Mickelson, in one of his DVDs, offers some good analysis re: how face balance/neck setting relate to stroke type.

davepuppies
15th January 2018, 01:24 PM
I have used a #9 shape most of my life, and had a arc stroke. Changed to a daddy long legs and a SBST stroke several years ago, and my short range putting is measurably better, but my distance control a lot worse

3Puttpete
15th January 2018, 01:38 PM
I have used a #9 shape most of my life, and had a arc stroke. Changed to a daddy long legs and a SBST stroke several years ago, and my short range putting is measurably better, but my distance control a lot worseHow did you change your stroke?

thecollective
15th January 2018, 03:49 PM
Changed to a daddy long legs and a SBST stroke several years ago, and my short range putting is measurably better, but my distance control a lot worse

I find these putters no good for lag putting - the tour (DJ) model is ok but the 38" counter balance really bad for long distance judgement.

davidw88
15th January 2018, 07:31 PM
I used a counterbalanced putter and had trouble with distance control as well.

Johnny Canuck
15th January 2018, 07:59 PM
I used a counterbalanced putter and had trouble with distance control as well.

I’ve bought two and moved them both on after 1 round for that very reason.

FuzzyJuzzy
19th January 2018, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the input gents.
So if I have good bouts of putting with both a #7 and a #9, then my putting stroke must have multiple personality disorder - it doesn’t know who it is nor what it wants to achieve in life:).
I’ve spent a little time on the putting green this week with my #7 concentrating specifically on making SBST putting strokes. Seems to be helping with consistency. Will see how it goes tomorrow morning.

Dotty
19th January 2018, 10:39 AM
Why not an Anser (or clone), which is midway between a #7 and #9, in construction and technique?

For me, the squarer Anser 2 lines up just as easy as a mallet/mid-mallet.

davepuppies
19th January 2018, 12:45 PM
How did you change your stroke?

Was a arc with slightly open stance with #9, is straight alignment and stroke with daddy long legs or versa jailbird

KristianJ
19th January 2018, 05:46 PM
I've found that both the 7 and 9 are more useful than the Anser/Newport when it comes to picking the ball up after a disappointing wipe.

FuzzyJuzzy
20th January 2018, 06:00 PM
A focussed effort on a SBST stroke worked like a charm today with the Odyssey #7. Had 29 putts, which included nine one-putts. Had two three-putts though, due to cruel lipouts. Holed a bunch of 6-10 footers, felt very confident over those putts.
Not totally sure if it was a conscious change from an arc stroke to a SBST stroke, as DavePuppies did, but just now knowing that the #7 favours a SBST stroke and trying to swing the putter like that did the trick for the most part. Can’t wait to get back out there and stroke some more putts.

JoeS
20th January 2018, 07:06 PM
I have been using the number 9,used a oworks rline today with slightly better results