PDA

View Full Version : Chipping around greens

Jake peralta
14th January 2018, 07:23 AM
When around the fringes should i be using my 60' mostly, or just regular wedge? We dont always have fluffy lies and sometimes its just dirt in which case then ive been using a 7 iron just to clear some of the bumpy/ uneven ground. Or am i going about it really wrong. It is by far the worst part of my game

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
14th January 2018, 07:29 AM
When around the fringes should i be using my 60' mostly, or just regular wedge? We dont always have fluffy lies and sometimes its just dirt in which case then ive been using a 7 iron just to clear some of the bumpy/ uneven ground. Or am i going about it really wrong. It is by far the worst part of my gameYeah 7 iron for me. Or a hybrid ( useing a adapated putting stroke ) but it also depends on the lie

JoeS
14th January 2018, 07:56 AM
There is no right or wrong way.I try to find a clun that will carry to the green so I take the fringe out of play.The loft I chosr is relative to ball speed as well.I might chose a 7 iron if uphill,but if that same distance shot is flat I might chose a 9 or wedge.If that shot is downhill I might try to flop it with a sixty.The most important thing when working around greens is soft hands,not slowing down through the ball and picking a landing spot for my chosen club.Speed will be a similar thought to putting

mrbluu
14th January 2018, 08:47 AM
When around the fringes should i be using my 60' mostly, or just regular wedge? We dont always have fluffy lies and sometimes its just dirt in which case then ive been using a 7 iron just to clear some of the bumpy/ uneven ground. Or am i going about it really wrong. It is by far the worst part of my game

I would recommend using anything but it 60* especially if u are playing off dirt patches. I like chipping with a 8iron around the greens when I have to run the ball off dirt patches. But u should try Hybrids or any other clubs you feel comfortable with.

For normal course conditions I use my 54 probably 80-90% of the time. I only use my lobby when absolutely can't use the 54.

okitoki
14th January 2018, 08:53 AM
I find it hard to control the distance with a chip and run. Do you guys swing with a stiff or loose wrist?

Jake peralta
14th January 2018, 11:09 AM
I find it hard to control the distance with a chip and run. Do you guys swing with a stiff or loose wrist? Yeah i struggle there as well

Jake peralta
14th January 2018, 11:10 AM
On the hard ground i try run the 7 iron mostly. Trying hard to use the 60 better but distance control sucks....maybe im using it too much

JoeS
14th January 2018, 11:21 AM
I find it hard to control the distance with a chip and run. Do you guys swing with a stiff or loose wrist?With a chip and run I play it back in my stance with a stiff grip.The chip and run should be played as a small low punch shot,line and speed the big contributor to how hard.If you select a finish area for the shot that allows for an easier putt then you will find chipping easier.If you are above the hole then you want to finish below the hole,if you are already below then chip towards a length you feel comfortable putting from.As amateurs the chip in is really low percentage and often leads to poor position for the putt.

JoeS
14th January 2018, 11:24 AM
On the hard ground i try run the 7 iron mostly. Trying hard to use the 60 better but distance control sucks....maybe im using it too muchHow are you trying to use the 60.It is probably the hardest club to control face contact for most amateurs if not using a full swing.By this I mean it is easy to slide the club face under the ball on a fluffy lie,or even fat it if you deaccelerate through the ball before strike

okitoki
14th January 2018, 11:34 AM
Teeing off in an hours time for round 2.... Yesterday was struggling with the chipping as not familiar with the new course and how they behave on the greens.... Hopefully today will be a better day

JoeS
14th January 2018, 11:41 AM
Teeing off in an hours time for round 2.... Yesterday was struggling with the chipping as not familiar with the new course and how they behave on the greens.... Hopefully today will be a better dayDo a few putts on the practice green to get the speed,then just stick with 1 process around the greens today and see how you go.Dont ask me about putting though,My last 6 months have been tragic

okitoki
14th January 2018, 06:18 PM
Yeah... Had a few practice around the green.... Surprisingly I managed to do a few good chips.. And even **** ups didn't ended up too bad... Just kept missing my putts just behind the holes a few times. Close but no cigar type of putts.

JoeS
14th January 2018, 06:46 PM
Yeah... Had a few practice around the green.... Surprisingly I managed to do a few good chips.. And even **** ups didn't ended up too bad... Just kept missing my putts just behind the holes a few times. Close but no cigar type of putts.What club did you use for the chipping

okitoki
14th January 2018, 06:51 PM
Pw and 9

davidw88
14th January 2018, 07:32 PM
I use mainly my 52 and 58 wedges to chip with but our greens are small so need them to check up a bit. Main thing is to get it through the rough and landing on the green where you will get a true roll and bounce. The more loft you have the more chance you have of fluffing it.

benno_r
14th January 2018, 07:40 PM
Every club from hybrid to lob wedge.

Lob wedge only for extreme shortside or lobs.

99% of the time, there is no wrist movement in my stroke.

Grumpy8
14th January 2018, 07:49 PM
Hit more greens in reg , then u don’t have to chip .

PapaBravo
15th January 2018, 11:55 AM
I use everything from 5i to 60 to chip depending on the ratio of carry to roll out combined with the speed of the greens. Slightly modified putting action, with the key being choking down on the grip for more control over the flatspot at ground contact.

I try not to use 60 or 56 if I can help it unless its deeper rough and I need that ball up as quickly as possible and stopping as quickly as possible.

Lower lofts = more ball roll = ball has more chance of going in the hole is the theory, the ability to pick the right carry/roll ratio club is the variable.

okitoki
15th January 2018, 12:05 PM
how do you deal with raised greens?
I find that if I chip it short, it can bounce awkwardly or stop before the green, or just roll too much if land on green...

do you use the same length on your back swing for all chip and run and adjust the distance by using different club, or you adjust your back swing distance but use 1 or 2 clubs for different distance.

watching the low hdcp players I played with last weekend, their chip and runs seems to have an ability to bite into the green with a degree of distance control, but the concept of it still seems foreign to me....
I am trying to apply my distance control similar to my putting "sense" as I seem to be doing a half decent job recently.... but guess I am not swinging consistent enough yet to figure out which club to use for what distance.

Grumpy8
15th January 2018, 12:34 PM
I use everything from 5i to 60 to chip depending on the ratio of carry to roll out combined with the speed of the greens. Slightly modified putting action, with the key being choking down on the grip for more control over the flatspot at ground contact.I try not to use 60 or 56 if I can help it unless its deeper rough and I need that ball up as quickly as possible and stopping as quickly as possible.Lower lofts = more ball roll = ball has more chance of going in the hole is the theory, the ability to pick the right carry/roll ratio club is the variable. + 1

Grumpy8
15th January 2018, 12:40 PM
how do you deal with raised greens?I find that if I chip it short, it can bounce awkwardly or stop before the green, or just roll too much if land on green... do you use the same length on your back swing for all chip and run and adjust the distance by using different club, or you adjust your back swing distance but use 1 or 2 clubs for different distance.watching the low hdcp players I played with last weekend, their chip and runs seems to have an ability to bite into the green with a degree of distance control, but the concept of it still seems foreign to me.... I am trying to apply my distance control similar to my putting "sense" as I seem to be doing a half decent job recently.... but guess I am not swinging consistent enough yet to figure out which club to use for what distance. Use 56 or 60 if you need to go over/ up quickly and stop it . 54 52 50 deg to get that bit of bite then some roll out .Do a you tube search there are plenty of tips , find some that suit what you think you can do and fit what you are looking for

3Puttpete
15th January 2018, 12:55 PM
how do you deal with raised greens?
I find that if I chip it short, it can bounce awkwardly or stop before the green, or just roll too much if land on green...

do you use the same length on your back swing for all chip and run and adjust the distance by using different club, or you adjust your back swing distance but use 1 or 2 clubs for different distance.

watching the low hdcp players I played with last weekend, their chip and runs seems to have an ability to bite into the green with a degree of distance control, but the concept of it still seems foreign to me....
I am trying to apply my distance control similar to my putting "sense" as I seem to be doing a half decent job recently.... but guess I am not swinging consistent enough yet to figure out which club to use for what distance.Just get it on the green and 2 putt. Occasionally you'll make a putt.

okitoki
15th January 2018, 01:03 PM
Just get it on the green and 2 putt. Occasionally you'll make a putt.

haha... will work on it... :)

3Puttpete
15th January 2018, 01:11 PM
haha... will work on it... :)Golf is hard. Don't complicate it.

Dotty
15th January 2018, 02:47 PM
Golf is hard. Don't complicate it.
+1

Gap wedge with the ball lined up on the inside of the front foot for a long carry short roll.
Gap wedge with the ball lined up on the inside of the back foot for a short carry long roll.

PerryGroves
15th January 2018, 02:57 PM
My mate is a 60 degree "expert", can hit it 1.4m or 140m, unfortunately nothing much in between. Causes way more angst for the average punter than it solves.

Haven't carried one for years, went the way of the mini driver (and other fads) and 20 odd putters, locked in the cupboard of broken dreams.

#snapthe60

coalesce
15th January 2018, 04:05 PM
What is the specific issue with a 60 degree wedge compared to, say, a 56?

PapaBravo
15th January 2018, 04:15 PM
What is the specific issue with a 60 degree wedge compared to, say, a 56?

For most, the risk of blading it or chunking it is higher with the 60 than the 56. Because of so much loft, if the technique in relation to clubhead/hand position is incorrect, they also bring a double hit into play.

Bounce plays a big role, understanding the lie is another - combined these 2 elements account for much of the difficulty.

The first chunk/blade/doublehit with the wedge can snowball into the mindset of "I just don't get chipping" which can last for decades.

Toxic
15th January 2018, 04:23 PM
There is no right or wrong way.I try to find a clun that will carry to the green so I take the fringe out of play.The loft I chosr is relative to ball speed as well.I might chose a 7 iron if uphill,but if that same distance shot is flat I might chose a 9 or wedge.If that shot is downhill I might try to flop it with a sixty.The most important thing when working around greens is soft hands,not slowing down through the ball and picking a landing spot for my chosen club.Speed will be a similar thought to putting

Its okay for you - you have a great short game! :lol:

Jake peralta
15th January 2018, 05:34 PM
Spent a couple hours chipping today......used a bunch of clubs......was hitting better as i went on......proof is in the pidding tomorrow though

Lagerlover
15th January 2018, 05:36 PM
I use my putter whenever possible, even on the green.

Daves
15th January 2018, 06:05 PM
I use the least amount of loft I can get away with.

TheNuclearOne
15th January 2018, 07:34 PM
Spent a couple hours chipping today......used a bunch of clubs......was hitting better as i went on......proof is in the pidding tomorrow though

I wouldn't expect miracles from a couple of hours practise. Practise, practise, practise.

Jake peralta
15th January 2018, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't expect miracles from a couple of hours practise. Practise, practise, practise. Agree, but its a start, and its a mind game as well

Johnny Canuck
15th January 2018, 07:55 PM
Whatever club you use, make sure that you accelerate through the ball. That is one of the biggest keys around the ground that too many people fail at.

Jake peralta
15th January 2018, 08:04 PM
Rogie

JoeS
15th January 2018, 08:34 PM
Its okay for you - you have a great short game! [emoji38]Wish I could drive it 300 like you do[emoji6]

Toxic
16th January 2018, 06:58 AM
Wish I could drive it 300 like you do[emoji6] We'd be a handy Ambrose pair indeed

thecollective
16th January 2018, 09:24 AM
I use my putter whenever possible, even on the green.

even to putt into bunkers #RA17

:D

Lagerlover
16th January 2018, 10:02 AM
even to putt into bunkers #RA17:D Hahahaha..Did it with some confidence too.

okitoki
16th January 2018, 10:09 AM
Was it trying to putt over the bunker?

LarryLong
16th January 2018, 10:22 AM
I can't give you any tips about chipping around greens, but I'm very good at putting around bunkers.

Lagerlover
16th January 2018, 10:31 AM
Was it trying to putt over the bunker? It was a long day, others in our group would agree.

okitoki
16th January 2018, 11:02 AM
well I have played with people who are really good hitting a rug burner right at the bunker to as use the lip of it as a launching pad to land on the green.... success rate is maybe less than 10%? but still pretty impressive to watch :mrgreen:

thecollective
16th January 2018, 11:12 AM
well I have played with people who are really good hitting a rug burner right at the bunker to as use the lip of it as a launching pad to land on the green.... success rate is maybe less than 10%? but still pretty impressive to watch :mrgreen:

oki; I know of someone who has a much higher success rate than 10%, actually using the putter to 'putt out' of bunkers rolling the ball hard into the lip and then popping out with topspin, almost like a net cord in tennis

Witnessed it myself; quite an interesting and creative way to play out from the sand

Jake peralta
16th January 2018, 04:49 PM
Well i played 2 rounds today.......drove the cart, took, my time and to be honest really enjoyed it.....bit rooted now though. Chipping i think was better overall, not by a lot but in the second game after a few hours break i played my first ever even par round. Was some luck involved but that game im not sure why i drove and hit greens all day. Got an eagle on the 521 yard par 5 with about a 3 foot put so yes bit lucky.....but i did use the 7 iron a couple times from about 15 yards and worked well. First round played to my handicap.

davepuppies
16th January 2018, 06:54 PM
For chip and runs i use a GW, or a PW, but hands waaaayyyyyyyy forward, delofting the club

ensures my hands stay forward, and wrists firm.

For a flop, or elevated pitch i use a SW or a LW, and use hinge and hold method

mrbluu
16th January 2018, 07:09 PM
For chip and runs i use a GW, or a PW, but hands waaaayyyyyyyy forward, delofting the club

ensures my hands stay forward, and wrists firm.

For a flop, or elevated pitch i use a SW or a LW, and use hinge and hold methodI can't do either of those techniques..... hahaha

okitoki
16th January 2018, 07:32 PM
got a chipper from a package deal i picked up.... might try it out of desperation :D

Lagerlover
16th January 2018, 07:37 PM
got a chipper from a package deal i picked up.... might try it out of desperation :D Had a mate that got a chipper.

Dotty
16th January 2018, 07:39 PM
Had a mate that got a chipper.
Was he in Fargo?

3Puttpete
16th January 2018, 07:45 PM
Had a mate that got a chipper.I hope you're talking about Hatchy

davepuppies
16th January 2018, 07:48 PM
I can't do either of those techniques..... hahaha

Come to the Puppies short game tour school

mrbluu
16th January 2018, 07:52 PM
Come to the Puppies short game tour schoolNah, I not looking to get worse [emoji13][emoji13]

okitoki
16th January 2018, 07:59 PM
Had a mate that got a chipper.

how did it go for him?

3Puttpete
16th January 2018, 08:37 PM
how did it go for him?Horribly. Worst decision he ever made.

The chipper was no good too.

Lagerlover
16th January 2018, 08:50 PM
how did it go for him? "Had"

Hatchman
16th January 2018, 09:34 PM
how did it go for him?

Excellent, great for par 3's

https://youtu.be/SWPVq23LvJo

Craig_Syd
18th January 2018, 12:30 PM
Two years of chipping nightmare lifted in the past month! Paul Gow golf show goes on about feel the weight of the head, turned me around big time!