PDA

View Full Version : Returning to playing after injury

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
12th January 2018, 07:47 AM
Hi there. I am starting to get back into playing after a long ongoing shoulder injury.

What tips have you got to help getting back into playing? I think I'll hit my local pro up and see what he can do regarding help with my swing ( it feels so alien and clunky ).

Should i also think about a change in equipment? All my clubs have stiff shafts would droping down to reg flex help while my swing speed is down?

I look forward to hearing how you guys managed with you're returns.

Cheers

John

Lagerlover
12th January 2018, 10:53 AM
Welcome back

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
12th January 2018, 11:21 AM
Welcome backThank you :)

Johnny Canuck
12th January 2018, 11:40 AM
i'd ease into it before making any big equipment changes. Get a feel for what you can and can't do first before you start spending your hard earned. I'd also take it very slow as well to ensure you are not doing any damage. Avoid playing 18 early on, even if it feels ok, your body might not be up to it.

Welcome back and good luck with it.

Grumpy8
12th January 2018, 01:03 PM
i'd ease into it before making any big equipment changes. Get a feel for what you can and can't do first before you start spending your hard earned. I'd also take it very slow as well to ensure you are not doing any damage. Avoid playing 18 early on, even if it feels ok, your body might not be up to it.Welcome back and good luck with it.+1 Your body will tell you what you can and can’t do just listen to it

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
12th January 2018, 01:33 PM
+1 Your body will tell you what you can and can’t do just listen to itI think I'll tag along with my mates and maybe take a mid iron and just chip away ( excuse the pun ) while they play for there sheep stations. And when i can trust my shoulder may be hit the range and work up loading both shot and balls hit. Thanks guys and gals.

Cheers john

Johnny Canuck
12th January 2018, 02:31 PM
I think I'll tag along with my mates and maybe take a mid iron and just chip away ( excuse the pun ) while they play for there sheep stations. And when i can trust my shoulder may be hit the range and work up loading both shot and balls hit. Thanks guys and gals.

Cheers john

I'd start very small, with half wedges or something of that nature. If your shoulder can't handle it, you'll do a lot less damage on one of those swings that you would with a mid iron.

Dotty
12th January 2018, 05:39 PM
Ask JoeS, how he went last year...

https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/51369-Getting-over-injuries?highlight=muscle

JoeS
12th January 2018, 06:17 PM
Yeah it took me some time and patience.I started with just chipping,that would hurt after a little while so that meant stop.When it felt ok again I would get a small bucket and hit a few.Then as time when on I was able to get into a full swing and finally hit driver again.Dont rush it,dont change clubs or equipment,be patient.

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
12th January 2018, 06:27 PM
Yeah it took me some time and patience.I started with just chipping,that would hurt after a little while so that meant stop.When it felt ok again I would get a small bucket and hit a few.Then as time when on I was able to get into a full swing and finally hit driver again.Dont rush it,dont change clubs or equipment,be patient.Thank you joe. I will for sure take it easy..

Jono
22nd January 2018, 10:06 AM
Hi there. I am starting to get back into playing after a long ongoing shoulder injury. What tips have you got to help getting back into playing? I think I'll hit my local pro up and see what he can do regarding help with my swing ( it feels so alien and clunky ). Should i also think about a change in equipment? All my clubs have stiff shafts would droping down to reg flex help while my swing speed is down?I look forward to hearing how you guys managed with you're returns. Cheers John I had a near complete tear of my right rotator cuff and had surgical repair in early 2013. Couldn't swing a club for 9 months and tried to play again but the shoulder started playing up so I gave up the game.Just started to play again 6 months ago. I have a small tear in my left shoulder which I'm always mindful of.If you get any pain or weakness, I'd back off and rest it.I personally found it easier on my shoulders to flatten the swing and use the body more. Good luck with it.

PapaBravo
22nd January 2018, 12:23 PM
Welcome back to the game!

I think what may be important to understand, is whether the original injury was related to your golf swing or not.

Regardless of the answer, the best solution is probably "go see a pro" however the type of discussion would be very different dependent on the answer to the first question.

I would encourage also having a look at checking lie angles of your clubs, because it seems logical that something too flat or too upright for your "new" swing may have a jarring effect upon turf interaction.

Along the same lines, grip size seems like it could be important as well to reduce grip pressure, which in theory would reduce tension in the hands/arms/shoulders too.

You may be onto something dropping to regular flex, however I could think of nothing more frustrating than redoing everything and it doesn't help.

If you get the return to golf right, you might start playing the best golf of your life. If you don't and you re-injure, I could only imagine the heartbreak.

Find a pro that can tick the technique and the fitting boxes and get the return to golf right.

Good luck!

3oneday
22nd January 2018, 08:43 PM
I agree with the above, I had shoulder pain for 6 months and eventually ruptured a bicep. Returned to golf in early January and shot 98, had a lesson, practiced for two more weeks and shot 79 yesterday.

It's nice to be playing pain free.

mrbluu
22nd January 2018, 09:10 PM
I agree with the above, I had shoulder pain for 6 months and eventually ruptured a bicep. Returned to golf in early January and shot 98, had a lesson, practiced for two more weeks and shot 79 yesterday.

It's nice to be playing pain free.Flusha.

More importantly how many sets did u buy on Sunday night??[emoji16][emoji16]