PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted!!

Golf_Novice
11th July 2006, 11:51 AM
Hi :smt039

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me or at least point me in the right direction... I'm looking at taking up golf. I know some very basics, and I'm not looking to become professional (watch out Michelle Wie) But I just want to be able to have a round without losing my temper because I'm crap...

So what I'm looking for is someone who either knows somewhere for a beginner to go for a lesson or group lesson or if someone is willing to take on this damsel in distress. :smt061

So if anyone can help me out - that would be great!!

Hope to hear back from someone soon....

Have a great afternoon!! :-D

terryand
11th July 2006, 12:03 PM
Hi and welcome.

Oxley driving range have some beginner packages that might be worthwhile checking out.

Terry.

jaster
11th July 2006, 12:03 PM
Hi there and welcome to our forums. Your location says Brisbane so your best bet would be to hook up with one of the fine Ladies or Gentlemen on this board who are based in Brisbane and have them introduce you to a driving range or golf course close to your area that offers practice facilities and beginner lessons/classes. I'm sure they'll post here offering their help. Good luck :)

Terry beat me above, Oxley would be a great place to start if it is anywhere near you.

amanda
11th July 2006, 12:04 PM
Welcome golf novice :) Unfortunately I'm in Sydney so I can't help you out with where to get lessons - but I can definitely recommend them!

Flowergirl
11th July 2006, 12:07 PM
I agree with Mandy. Get lessons first up. Then you're not spending ages later trying to unlearn all the bad habits. :)
I'm in Melbourne - so I can't help you. Watch out for some of the Qland boys on this forum. They are usually up to no good. ( joke):twisted:

andylo
11th July 2006, 12:09 PM
Golf Novice, my wife Christine also just starting on golf. She goes to Logan City GC almost once everyweek for a clinic from Dominic Smiths (which is a young, handsome guy, with plenty of golfing ability and a funny broke from UK) if you are keen you can join us.

terryand
11th July 2006, 12:11 PM
Geez A-Lo, you've been married 4 days and your flirting already :shock:

Terry.

andylo
11th July 2006, 12:12 PM
another 3 hrs then to reach 4 days actually!

terryand
11th July 2006, 12:13 PM
another 3 hrs then to reach 4 days actually!

Sorry :oops:

Terry.

Golf_Novice
11th July 2006, 12:15 PM
Dominic Smiths (which is a young, handsome guy, with plenty of golfing ability and a funny broke from UK)

Is he single ;)

Courty
11th July 2006, 12:21 PM
Is he single ;)

Scorpiochick? Is that you?

andylo
11th July 2006, 12:22 PM
Is he single ;)

Married... but it never hurt to watch

BrisVegas
11th July 2006, 12:23 PM

hehe my thoughts exactly!! Too good to be true.... :smt002

Golf_Novice
11th July 2006, 12:25 PM
Married... but it never hurt to watch

That's a shame!! Is he expensive and how long are sessions??

(Thanks for your help!!) :-D

andylo
11th July 2006, 12:42 PM
That's a shame!! Is he expensive and how long are sessions??

(Thanks for your help!!) :-D

Its a group clinic and it cost $15 per person. You get a bucket of ball. It usually last around an hour and the VERY GOOD THING is, he's a damn good coach, we are hitting off the grass instead of mat, and finally, not many ppl going (which I really surprised)

Quite often 2 of us having a personal lesson for $30 (2 of us, $15 each)

Happens every Tue and Thurs, start from 7pm

Golf_Novice
11th July 2006, 12:55 PM
Its a group clinic and it cost $15 per person. You get a bucket of ball. It usually last around an hour and the VERY GOOD THING is, he's a damn good coach, we are hitting off the grass instead of mat, and finally, not many ppl going (which I really surprised)

Quite often 2 of us having a personal lesson for $30 (2 of us, $15 each)

Happens every Tue and Thurs, start from 7pm

Thank you so much for your help... I know I must be painful... but one last question (I'm naturally blonde) Do I have to ring up and book a spot? Or am I right to just turn up on Thursday night at 7pm???

:razz:

andylo
11th July 2006, 01:30 PM
Just turn up :)

0416 146 992 is Dom's number just if its starts rain a bit you better give him a call to make sure :)

Golf_Novice
11th July 2006, 02:25 PM
Just turn up :)

Thanks heaps! If you are there on Thursday night, I'll see you then :-D

Golf_Novice
11th July 2006, 02:26 PM

:confused:

andylo
11th July 2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks heaps! If you are there on Thursday night, I'll see you then :-D

Yeah, just look for a ugly chinese guy and a beautiful chinese girl ;)

amanda
11th July 2006, 02:30 PM
Don't worry about them GN :) She was a crazy Canberra-based golfer on another website we all used to belong to.

Golf_Novice
11th July 2006, 02:35 PM
Don't worry about them GN :) She was a crazy Canberra-based golfer on another website we all used to belong to.

Oh great... a bit WILD I hear?? Is that right? 8-[

TS
11th July 2006, 02:36 PM

Beauty & The Beast, I wonder which one is ALO.

Jarro
11th July 2006, 02:58 PM
ALo isn't hard to spot in a crowd..... just look for the guy that looks like this = :mrgreen:

terryand
11th July 2006, 03:05 PM
Or you could just look in the recent wedding thread to see what they look like :-D

Terry.

Golf_Novice
11th July 2006, 03:12 PM
Now now guys... I'm sure he's a lovely person

Jarro
11th July 2006, 03:23 PM
we never said he wasn't a lovely person ;)

AndyP
11th July 2006, 03:28 PM
Golf_Novice, a clinic is definitely the way to go. My missus went to some a few years ago when she started. Although she rarely plays, she at least has the basic swing that enables her to move the ball down the fairway.

funny broke from UK
A-Lo, haven't you been told not to spell things how you say them. Prease try harder in the future.

Golf_Novice
11th July 2006, 03:40 PM
Golf_Novice, a clinic is definitely the way to go. My missus went to some a few years ago when she started. Although she rarely plays, she at least has the basic swing that enables her to move the ball down the fairway..

I'm not too bad but I get frustrated VERY easily because my ball doesn't even remotely go in the air (except when I pick it up and throw it in anger!)

Who knows - I could be pro in no time :smt002

dc68
11th July 2006, 03:41 PM
I lead that too:mrgreen:

Just kidding Aro

Ducky
11th July 2006, 06:04 PM
A-Lo, haven't you been told not to spell things how you say them. Prease try harder in the future.
LMAO!

990B Luva
11th July 2006, 07:36 PM
I lead that too:mrgreen:

Just kidding Aro
:smt043:smt082:smt038

Golf_Novice
13th July 2006, 09:49 AM

Hi andy - looking forward to tonight :-D Bit nervous.. but I hope all goes well! Just a query.. do I have to bring anything (apart from my clubs) And where do I go??

Thanks!!

andylo
13th July 2006, 09:55 AM
Just bring your club, glove and $15.

Go to the driving range at Logan City GC. By the time of the nite it will be the only place have a few big flood lights so you can spot it easy.

Do you have the direction of Logan City GC?

Golf_Novice
13th July 2006, 10:01 AM
Just bring your club, glove and $15.

Go to the driving range at Logan City GC. By the time of the nite it will be the only place have a few big flood lights so you can spot it easy.

Do you have the direction of Logan City GC?

I don't have the directions, but I'll just look it up on www.whereis.com.au (http://www.whereis.com.au) :-D Hmmm.... a glove? I'll have to see if I have one (haven't looked in the bag for awhile!!) and when you say my club... which ONE might that be?

Please keep in mind I am an utter beginner!! Hehe (and naturally blonde as mentioned earlier) :oops:

andylo
13th July 2006, 10:15 AM
Just bring your 7 and 8 iron.... might as well bring the driver in :) But I am sure you will be using your 7 iron most of the time tonite.

Golf_Novice
13th July 2006, 10:22 AM
Just bring your 7 and 8 iron.... might as well bring the driver in :) But I am sure you will be using your 7 iron most of the time tonite.

Oh dear - I think I'm in trouble tonight. hehe - not sure what I'm getting myself into!! Do you promise not to laugh???? 8-[

Do you guys go both Tuesday and Thursday, or just once a week?

andylo
13th July 2006, 11:01 AM
I hope you won't laugh at us by the time you see us :D

We usually go just once a week. If there're no good movie we go at Tuesday, else Thursday.

Golf_Novice
13th July 2006, 12:07 PM

Does these irons come in a standard set of clubs?

I told you - I don't have a clue!!!! :oops:

AndyP
13th July 2006, 12:15 PM
Irons look like this:
http://pictures.kyozou.com/pictures/699000/698760.jpg

Grab the ones that have 7 and 8 on the bottom. At least one of them should definitely be in a set.

Golf_Novice
13th July 2006, 12:35 PM
Irons look like this:

Grab the ones that have 7 and 8 on the bottom. At least one of them should definitely be in a set.

I kinda knew that much... just wasn't sure if they are one of those clubs that come standard :)

I figured seeing I can't get the ball to go into the air that I'd use a wood or something? How is that little club (an iron) meant to get my ball to go into the air ??

amanda
13th July 2006, 12:57 PM
GN - you'll have more chance of getting the 7 or 8 iron into the air than a 3 wood :)

Golf_Novice
13th July 2006, 01:07 PM
GN - you'll have more chance of getting the 7 or 8 iron into the air than a 3 wood :)

Does everyone have this much trouble?

amanda
13th July 2006, 01:13 PM
Yes!

Golf_Novice
13th July 2006, 01:20 PM
Yes!

Thank God for that!!! Was starting to feel (and sound, no doubt!) very clueless!!!

AndyP
13th July 2006, 01:39 PM
I figured seeing I can't get the ball to go into the air that I'd use a wood or something? How is that little club (an iron) meant to get my ball to go into the air ??
The angle of the face is what helps it go in the air. The 3 wood makes it come out flatter, so it would be harder to get into the air. The angle of the 7 iron face will help the ball go up. The higher the number of iron, the higher it should make the ball go. This will also mean that it won't go as far.

Iain
13th July 2006, 01:41 PM
Thank God for that!!! Was starting to feel (and sound, no doubt!) very clueless!!!

You are indeed..... :-P :-P

Golf_Novice
13th July 2006, 01:45 PM
The angle of the face is what helps it go in the air. The 3 wood makes it come out flatter, so it would be harder to get into the air. The angle of the 7 iron face will help the ball go up. The higher the number of iron, the higher it should make the ball go. This will also mean that it won't go as far.

I must be really short - coz' that just all went over my head :-(

Iain
13th July 2006, 01:52 PM
I must be really short - coz' that just all went over my head :-(

You are short too!! I will try to explain later, but leave the woods alone until you are able to hit the 7 or 8 iron reasonably well.

AndyP
13th July 2006, 01:55 PM
The explanation really needs pictures, I guess.

Golf_Novice
13th July 2006, 02:00 PM
You are short too!! I will try to explain later, but leave the woods alone until you are able to hit the 7 or 8 iron reasonably well.

So I guess I won't need woods until.. oh say.. 2008?????

And it doesn't need pictures, it needs a diagram!! Hehe :oops:

Golf_Novice
13th July 2006, 02:59 PM
This is all becoming very complicated!!!

If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play at it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf!! Bob Hope!

Flowergirl
15th July 2006, 10:39 AM
WEll - what happened???