PDA

View Full Version : Club fitting- iron shaft change

8081travis
1st January 2018, 11:54 AM
Gents

I’ve used the s300 shafts and moved to XP300 shaft which is lighter than the s300 a few years back. For my swing speed I knew it was too light, super high ball flight too.

I got fit at the start of 2017 to a heavier much stiffer shaft, Modus 130, dispersion was tighter, not by huge amount distance about the same. Club fitter said can’t be using light shaft, almost laughed me out the fitting.

Bit of advice from anyone with a bit of experience. I struggled through 2017 with heavier stiffer shafts, felt more accurate when I was on but tragic when I was off. Lost a bit of feel etc.

Not sure if I should stick with New shafts or back to what feels better. Have less time to practice with a new baby and work busier so when I get the chance to play want to feel in somewhat control of my game.

Be interested to get some thoughts

Johnny Canuck
1st January 2018, 02:27 PM
My driver ss is probably 112ish. I actually fit into lightweight shafts.

Weight isn’t all about swing speed.

I moved from 130g x flex into steelfiber 95s and love it.

davepuppies
1st January 2018, 02:38 PM
I’m the same.... my swing speed is 110-115, and prefer lighter weight shafts

Daves
1st January 2018, 02:40 PM
IMO your tempo is more relevant to shaft weight matching. Fast = Heavier.

Captain Nemo
1st January 2018, 02:51 PM
GentsI’ve used the s300 shafts and moved to XP300 shaft which is lighter than the s300 a few years back. For my swing speed I knew it was too light, super high ball flight too. I got fit at the start of 2017 to a heavier much stiffer shaft, Modus 130, dispersion was tighter, not by huge amount distance about the same. Club fitter said can’t be using light shaft, almost laughed me out the fitting.Bit of advice from anyone with a bit of experience. I struggled through 2017 with heavier stiffer shafts, felt more accurate when I was on but tragic when I was off. Lost a bit of feel etc.Not sure if I should stick with New shafts or back to what feels better. Have less time to practice with a new baby and work busier so when I get the chance to play want to feel in somewhat control of my game.Be interested to get some thoughts Weirdo!Let’s chat tomorrow when we are strolling the hallowed fairways of the Aussie!😎

8081travis
1st January 2018, 06:07 PM
IMO your tempo is more relevant to shaft weight matching. Fast = Heavier. Yeah I’d be on the quicker side, hence moving up from a 95g shaft to a 130g shaft

8081travis
1st January 2018, 06:08 PM
Weirdo!Let’s chat tomorrow when we are strolling the hallowed fairways of the Aussie!😎 I won’t be on the fairways the way I’m hitting them!

8081travis
1st January 2018, 06:17 PM
My driver ss is probably 112ish. I actually fit into lightweight shafts. Weight isn’t all about swing speed. I moved from 130g x flex into steelfiber 95s and love it. This was me the other way around!!

FuzzyJuzzy
1st January 2018, 07:46 PM
Interesting, and worthy of discussion as changing shafts in a set of irons can be a pain in the arse if you need other than standard specs.
I picked up a great set of MP-64s maybe a year ago. They have Project X 5.0s in them, a pretty light shaft (obviously) that feels to me (and to the guy I bought them off) like it plays like a smooth/light stiff shaft.
These irons have been my gamers for most of the last year and the shaft feels/performs fine, albeit with a slightly high ball flight.
Put a set of MP-32s with S300s in play a week ago; have since played three rounds with them. The S300s have flattened out my flight a bit and given me a more penetrating flight and a bit more distance. Have used S300s before, but not for a few years. Obviously the Px 5.0 is a lighter shaft than the two Travis mentions, but the S300s win it for me out of these two. May need to look at a shaft change for the 64s.

timah!
1st January 2018, 11:17 PM
Is your scoring improving?

8081travis
2nd January 2018, 02:57 AM
Is your scoring improving? Not really, probably worse hcp was gone out to 5 as well probably reflects the struggle