PDA

View Full Version : SA: Mt Compass GC, Sunday January 21, 8am (AndyP Visit)

AndyP
29th December 2017, 12:54 PM
Hi Adelaidians

I will be working in Adelaide for a couple of weeks and will be spending the weekend of Jan 20-21 there. Although I don't do this golf thing often, I wouldn't mind having a hit with some of you while I am there. I won't be bringing clubs down, so if someone who wants to play has a spare set that I could borrow, I would appreciate it.

I haven't played a round in SA, so any golf course that we play at will be new to me. I'm happy to let you guys suggest options.

1. AndyP

thecollective
29th December 2017, 02:08 PM
Hi Andy,

Welcome to the land of the grape!

Happy to host you @ Tanunda - but before we commit to the Barossa Valley lets see if you can get on a tier 1 - calling Chilled or even Marcel if he is in town...

thecollective
29th December 2017, 02:10 PM
Ps: looks like the Ozgolf SSL certificate has expired as I keep getting the 'unsafe' prompts on Chrome

marcel
29th December 2017, 02:45 PM
I'm in Melbourne

AndyP
29th December 2017, 03:50 PM
Hi Andy,

Welcome to the land of the grape!

Happy to host you @ Tanunda - but before we commit to the Barossa Valley lets see if you can get on a tier 1 - calling Chilled or even Marcel if he is in town...
I was actually in town two years ago for a couple of weeks, but flew to Sydney for the weekend.

Priority 1 is playing with a bunch of you guys over a tier 1 course. If we can get both, then it's a bonus.

Ps: looks like the Ozgolf SSL certificate has expired as I keep getting the 'unsafe' prompts on Chrome
Yep, I didn't get a reminder of its expiry. It should be fine within a couple of days.

I'm in Melbourne
:(
I expect a similar trip in the middle of this year.

marcel
29th December 2017, 04:26 PM
Here until end of June

Grumpy8
29th December 2017, 04:33 PM
Here until end of June Happy to host you at Beaconhills if you are in the south east and assuming Golf is in your plans

marcel
29th December 2017, 10:34 PM
Thanks Grumpy8. Yes definitely golfing here, busy through Jan, will try and organise something in Feb if you're about

Grumpy8
30th December 2017, 10:25 AM
Thanks Grumpy8. Yes definitely golfing here, busy through Jan, will try and organise something in Feb if you're about Yeah will be about

coalesce
30th December 2017, 09:28 PM
I might come out of retirement for this. We’d best not play somewhere with water after last time I played with AndyP...

3Puttpete
30th December 2017, 09:57 PM
I might come out of retirement for this. We’d best not play somewhere with water after last time I played with AndyP...

Good times

AndyP
30th December 2017, 11:16 PM
My memory is terrible, but I know how to search.

I feel the 11th needs further explanation for the boys and girls to appreciate how entertaining it was.

Tee shot - splash. Not the first bloke to do that. Walk up and take a drop.

In position for a drop and he walks back about 5 metres. AndyP comments about getting the perfect distance for the shot but Coalesce explains if he's too close to the water it messes with his head and he's sure to splash it. Anyway, he's taken his drop and played his shot - splash.

He picks up his bag and is ready to trundle off and be flag boy when Andy reminds him to "never give up a point that easily", take a drop and hole it to salvage a point. Guess what - splash.

I blame Andy.

[emoji2]
I'd take 25 points this time around.

3Puttpete
30th December 2017, 11:18 PM
Awesome

Benje
31st December 2017, 04:28 PM
I don't know that I'll play, but I can help with a set of right handed clubs.
The Collective knows how to contact me.

Benje

HOPHEAD
31st December 2017, 05:32 PM
Should head the the Wheaty while in town for a beer or 3

AndyP
31st December 2017, 07:24 PM
I don't know that I'll play, but I can help with a set of right handed clubs.
The Collective knows how to contact me.

Benje
Thanks Benje. Hopefully you can come along for a hit, wherever that may be....

Should head the the Wheaty while in town for a beer or 3
This is a given for me. I loved the beers there last time. Easy tram ride and a short walk. Let's make it a date.

Any more course suggestions, guys? Or someone who wants to be an organiser/host?

thecollective
1st January 2018, 12:22 PM
I can easily lock in Tanunda - just bear in mind the distance from Adelaide (should that be an issue).

What time would suit you Andy?

AndyP
1st January 2018, 12:32 PM
I will have a hire car, and I'm free all day, so whatever suits the group.

wazamac
1st January 2018, 05:11 PM
Happy to whack off as well wherever.
Happy with Tanunda as still looking at Compass the week before.

thecollective
2nd January 2018, 07:42 PM
Hi Andy, looks like the vines mafia have changed the venue to mount compass GC.

AndyP
2nd January 2018, 08:02 PM
I did decide to look at the other thread to see what was happening there. It doesn't matter to me, and if we are getting two groups, that would be great.

HOPHEAD
2nd January 2018, 08:24 PM
Bit of a story in the new golf digest mag on Mount Compass, sounds like things are improving there.

thecollective
2nd January 2018, 08:30 PM
Yes the new owner is a developer and has poached a greens keeper from RA

nadg63
2nd January 2018, 09:04 PM
Bit of a story in the new golf digest mag on Mount Compass, sounds like things are improving there.

Yes the new owner is a developer and has poached a greens keeper from RA

Things were definitely on the improve when Waza and myself went there last year. Was starting to look like it used to again, still one of my favorite courses.

wazamac
2nd January 2018, 09:14 PM
Will book tomorrow. Any preferable time?

nadg63
2nd January 2018, 10:03 PM
Will book tomorrow. Any preferable time?

Don't aim for too late as they tend to have a lot of group bookings play there - 8am latest!?

Hatchman
2nd January 2018, 10:40 PM
21st at Compass all good this end.

Not sure if you've got loaner sticks organised yet AndyP?

I've got Bag & Buggy plus the following choices of sticks:
Titleist DCI 962 3-PW
Titliest DCI 990 3-PW
Titleist 712 AP2 3-9iron
Ping Eye 2 BeCu 3-9iron
Cleveland Rusty Wedges in 48, 54 and 60
JDM RomaRo Wedges in 50 and 56
Driver options are Jetspeed, SLDR and Titleist 910D3 9 degree
Fairway Wood limited to Titleist 915F 15 degree and Ping G2 14 degree
I have few putters that I can bring down to choose from.
Also have a chipper if that takes your fancy.

AndyP
3rd January 2018, 08:33 AM
Thanks Hatchy, clubs have not been booked yet, and it makes more sense to use clubs of someone who is definitely playing. I don't know what is what from the irons though.....

wazamac
3rd January 2018, 04:54 PM
Booked for 8am. 2 groups

Hatchman
3rd January 2018, 05:42 PM
Thanks Hatchy, clubs have not been booked yet, and it makes more sense to use clubs of someone who is definitely playing. I don't know what is what from the irons though.....

What are you currently gaming Woods and irons wise and I'll go from there on recommending something?

Booked for 8am. 2 groups

Nice work Waz

AndyP
3rd January 2018, 07:01 PM
What are you currently gaming Woods and irons wise and I'll go from there on recommending something?

Anything but the latest technology just won't do for me, as you can see from the link in my signature.

Driver: Ping G2 10* Driver w/- Aldila NV 65R (Jan 2007)
Hybrids: Nickent Genex 3DX Ironwoods 2/17º (Sep 2010) & 3/20º (Oct 2010) w/- stock UST 75g R flex shafts
Irons : Raven Forged CB 231.i 4I-PW (Sep 2005) w/- DG HL R300 (May 2009)
Wedges: Titliest Vokey 250.08 (Feb 2004), Titliest Vokey 254.10 (Apr 2008 )
Putter : Ping G2i Anser (Jul 2011)

The only difference from the above is that a Ping G10 14° 3 wood is also in the bag.

Benje
3rd January 2018, 07:30 PM
The developer is also a keen, well-travelled golfer.
He has a good relationship with the course architect as well.

Hatchman
3rd January 2018, 07:48 PM
Anything but the latest technology just won't do for me, as you can see from the link in my signature.

The only difference from the above is that a Ping G10 14° 3 wood is also in the bag.

Looking at that list, from my offerings I would recommend:
Jetspeed Driver Aldila Red Eyes 70R (good all rounder and easy to hit)
G2 3 wood
Titleist 962 irons 3-PW (these are a CB of sort)
Cleveland 54 and 60 (The RomaRo are better but I don't have a lob wedge in that)

I don't have any hybrids

AndyP
3rd January 2018, 09:20 PM
Thanks Hatchy. I can't imagine my golf being good regardless of what I use.

AndyP
4th January 2018, 12:50 PM
So who have we got in for this?

1. AndyP
2. thecollective
3. coalesce
4. wazamac
5. nadg63
6. Hatchman
7. Benje?
8. Chilled?

wazamac
4th January 2018, 01:19 PM
7. Jasonb
8. Reserved

All others correct thus far.

Peppas
4th January 2018, 01:33 PM
Andy if I were you I'd borrow the following

Jetspeed driver from Hatchy
Ping hybrid from Waz
Srixon I701 irons from Waz
Romaro wedges from Hatchy
Odyssey Rossie putter from Hatchy

Bag done :)

Hatchman
4th January 2018, 01:57 PM
Andy if I were you I'd borrow the following

Jetspeed driver from Hatchy
Ping hybrid from Waz
Srixon I701 irons from Waz
Romaro wedges from Hatchy
Odyssey Rossie putter from Hatchy

Bag done :)

That was the winning formula for the Kapunda Open ��

Hard_Pan
5th January 2018, 01:12 PM
7. Jasonb
8. Reserved

All others correct thus far.

If Chilled is out for this then pencil me in please waz. This instead of the 14th, right?

wazamac
5th January 2018, 01:57 PM
8. HP

Yep. 14th now off the books.
Chilled won't pay to play Compass but everyone else seems to enjoy the course.

Hatchman
5th January 2018, 02:49 PM
8. HP

Chilled won't pay to play Compass but everyone else seems to enjoy the course.

He's more than happy to pay for Lady Boy though.

nadg63
5th January 2018, 03:34 PM
JasonB did mention that his brother might be here for a hit, if that is the case then he can have my playing spot and I'll just come out for a wandering chat :)

coalesce
10th January 2018, 07:45 PM
Sadly I’ve got to pull out of this. I’ve got a family event I have to go to :(

AndyP
10th January 2018, 10:01 PM
Boooooo!

wazamac
11th January 2018, 09:01 AM
Sadly I’ve got to pull out of this. I’ve got a family event I have to go to :( And here I thought I was going to get rid of your buggy.Might put it up for sale 😜

coalesce
11th January 2018, 09:50 AM
And here I thought I was going to get rid of your buggy.Might put it up for sale 

Forgot about that!

I'm actually gutted. For the first time in a long time, I was genuinely looking forward to play, and on a course I like, and meeting up with you lot who I haven't seen in a while.

Instead I have a 5th birthday party. There had better be cake!

Tentatively back for the Sunday after at the Vines tho (pending a check of the calendar)

marcel
11th January 2018, 12:46 PM
Forgot about that!

Instead I have a 5th birthday party. There had better be cake!

)
And I thought I wasn’t aging well

thecollective
11th January 2018, 02:38 PM
There had better be cake!

I'd be asking for Rainbow (considering what you're missing)

AndyP
18th January 2018, 11:05 PM
Hey Guys

I'm looking forward to this on Sunday. I hope everything is still on track. Sorry, I haven't been around, but I guess this is supposed to be a work trip. I just didn't expect to get flogged this much.

I'll be driving the hire car down. I noticed that Goodieson Brewery is nearby. Any good for a lunch and beer afterwards? Or is the clubhouse at Mt Compass the go?

thecollective
19th January 2018, 10:33 AM
The clubhouse does ok with food; from memory it was pretty solid last time we were there

Happy to head to the craft brewery if that is more your thing; Im a big fan of craft beer so its up my alley

wazamac
19th January 2018, 10:48 AM
Live 15 minutes away and have never heard of the place.

nadg63
19th January 2018, 01:14 PM
Live 15 minutes away and have never heard of the place.

Ditto, me neither!

AndyP
19th January 2018, 02:13 PM
Actually, it looks like they don't even do food, so scrap that.

Hatchman
19th January 2018, 02:14 PM
Everything is on track this end.
We'll be done before it warms up too much.
I wont be able to make it for Craft Beers as much as I would like too. The anti fun police will most likely be looking to return home by that time :(

What Golf Balls do you normally use AndyP?

AndyP
19th January 2018, 02:15 PM
Hey Hatchy. I brought down a few golf balls, so unless things are really bad, I should survive.

Hatchman
19th January 2018, 02:20 PM
Compass has Yum Yums that love golf Balls.
I'll throw a few used ProV's in the bag for ballast :D

coalesce
19th January 2018, 03:51 PM
Hey Hatchy. I brought down a few golf balls, so unless things are really bad, I should survive.

I remember saying something along those lines...

Hard_Pan
19th January 2018, 06:06 PM
Actually, it looks like they don't even do food, so scrap that.I played there last Sunday with some mates and had a meal at the clubhouse afterwards. The meals were quite OK.

AndyP
19th January 2018, 07:40 PM
Coopers on tap, or shitty beer? ;)

Got any U-Tri Tours, Hatchy? ;)

Hatchman
19th January 2018, 08:49 PM
Coopers on tap, or shitty beer? ;)

Got any U-Tri Tours, Hatchy? ;)

Larger highly recommends West End :roll:

I've only got Pro V1 and Taylormade TPX unfortunately.

Lagerlover
19th January 2018, 09:00 PM
The best end of the day.

Lagerlover
19th January 2018, 09:04 PM
Stay down there til next weekend..

https://www.compasscup.com.au/blank

Chilled
19th January 2018, 09:33 PM
8. HP

Chilled won't pay to play Compass but everyone else seems to enjoy the course.That axe of yours is getting blunt. Have you been a member there like myself and a mate were for two years? No, I don't think so. We have history. I have always enjoyed the course, but we were screwed over by a club that got too big for it's boots, so I have been reluctant to support them. That doesn't mean I won't ever return for a game there.

At this stage I can't make it now unfortunately :( gf has other plans for sunday, I did want to play however (although Lady Bay is always going to have preference). Sorry andy, would have been good to meet you! Hope you enjoy Compass, it's an absolute gem of the SA country courses, I doubt there is any other country courses better :)

AndyP
19th January 2018, 09:46 PM
Thanks Chilled. Under 40 degrees will be a bonus. I hope I play decent enough to fully enjoy it.

HOPHEAD
20th January 2018, 09:53 AM
Goodiesons do some very nice beers, but they unfortunately dont have food available there but you can byo. Smiling Samoyed brewery at Myponga do food and good beer as well.

AndyP
20th January 2018, 10:40 AM
The guy at Big Shed yesterday recommended Smiling Samoyed, although I was already aware of them.

HOPHEAD
20th January 2018, 11:50 AM
I had lunch and a few beers at smiling not long ago, recommend their saison if it is still available. What did you think of big shed?

AndyP
20th January 2018, 12:02 PM
I went to Big Shed two years ago and was impressed. They distribute into Qld now too. I grabbed a squealer of The Hazing, although I've already had it a couple of times at The King's Head.

AndyP
20th January 2018, 10:52 PM
It will take about 50 minutes from my hotel apparently. I'll aim for 20-30min before 8a. See you then.

And don't you guys even think about colluding with the chef to add tomato to my lunch meal.

wazamac
20th January 2018, 11:25 PM
Not unless it comes mushed and in a Rosella Bottle, I wouldn’t eat it either.

nadg63
21st January 2018, 04:53 PM
Was good to meet you AndyP, hope you enjoyed the morning.

AndyP
21st January 2018, 05:03 PM
Thanks, nadg. I'm glad that you got to meet me too.

It was a great morning, and I enjoyed the course. The condition is a bit of a shame; it would probably be something quite frustrating if you were trying to shoot a score. Fortunately, I wasn't.

thecollective
21st January 2018, 05:41 PM
thanks for the hit guys and great to meet you Andy; course presented well but yes the greens were a problem; hopefully the owner can splash some cash on some new irrigation and fungicide

leaving greens to grow mushrooms really is a no no; you cannot expect anyone to take you seriously when balls start drifting sideways from fungus growth

3Puttpete
21st January 2018, 06:06 PM
you cannot expect anyone to take you seriously when balls start drifting sideways from fungus growth

TWSS

thecollective
21st January 2018, 06:10 PM
TWSS

lol, you have have a one track mind

wazamac
21st January 2018, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the hit today.
Thought it was going to be a cooler day when I got to the top of the hill and my car said 19 degree and the fog was thick, but ended up quite warm.

AndyP
21st January 2018, 06:19 PM
If you wanted cool, we should have played in Victor Harbor. It was 23°C there, while it was still 36°C in Adelaide. I did a walk around Granite Island, and now I'm replacing carbs at Smiling Samoyed Brewery. Good day!

wazamac
21st January 2018, 06:26 PM
Stop off at Yankallila bakery for a kitchener.

AndyP
21st January 2018, 06:31 PM
At this hour?

AndyP
21st January 2018, 11:23 PM
It closes at 5p. There was a detour off the main road by a traffic cop, yet no indication of when we could go back, so I think I bypassed it anyway.

It looks like someone has fallen out of the routine of putting sunscreen on the V at the front of the shirt.....

Hatchman
22nd January 2018, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the game yesterday everyone. Good to meet up with another name from the forum in Andy P.
New owners have a bit of work to do on the course. Fungi in the greens needs to be bought under control real quick before they are at the rip up and start again stage. Bunkers were in the worst condition I have every seen them.
They stuffed our meals up. Clearly ordered Pepper Sauce with Chicken Schnit but they bring out Mushroom. My daughters Beef Schnit was not cooked completely in the middle and had to be sent back.
I keep going back as it’s one of my favorite layouts.

Hard_Pan
22nd January 2018, 11:09 PM
Clearly ordered Pepper Sauce with Chicken Schnit but they bring out Mushroom. Yeah, freshly picked from the 18th green! ;) Thoroughly agree with all the sentiments given above about the opportunity to meet AndyP and have another hit. Fun as always but for those damn little mushies peppering the greens!!! Hope to see you back for a hit in this neck of the woods again soon Andy!