PDA

View Full Version : Pretty pissed off

Jake peralta
18th December 2017, 08:11 PM
Here is my rant......i grew up racing motorcycles both amature and then professional......there is a lot of shitty ways to get ahead in that sport......but at the end of the day......if your lap times suck......well it shows where you rank. Took my daughter to our xmas hit yesterday, was her first outing. Now she didnt have a chance but she had a ball...... but what pisses me off greatly in this golf world.....and ive only been at it about 12 months is that on a fun day for xmas hams and cakes etc......or basically a fun day.........my daughter says daddy did i do good......and i say baby you were awesome......and a bunch of Muppets in a nine hole run playing off there handicap score at about 12 under and 10 under is about equal third. We dont expect to win, dont want to win and play for enjoyment......but you blokes hitting those creative scores....... what do you tell your kids

thecollective
18th December 2017, 08:20 PM
Jake; my guess is that your pissed off because you don't like handicap scoring, some call it the 'special olympics'.

My suggestion is to steer well clear then of any team scramble style event particularly the bogan Holden one

Goes with the sport im afraid - grant any human an advantage and they will exploit it to its full content - if its all about winning that is

Jake peralta
18th December 2017, 08:24 PM
Mate ill just continue to try improve my game, encourage the kids, but not push them if they dont want and drink a ton of rums on the way round.......its just that the fun days should be fun, not blokes claiming shit they dont deserve

Lagerlover
18th December 2017, 08:24 PM
Jake.... are you taking... the piss??....

Jake peralta
18th December 2017, 08:26 PM
And have no probs with handicap scoring....but i can tell you ive never seen anyone hit 10 under there hcap in one round.......much less a group of em do it.......handicaps be handicaps......cheating only cheats yourself.

thecollective
18th December 2017, 08:37 PM
Jake.... are you taking... the piss??....

Sounds like he is drinking it - on the course that is

Jake peralta
18th December 2017, 08:45 PM
Sounds like he is drinking it - on the course that is Try to have a few...... and why not

AndyP
18th December 2017, 08:47 PM
Handicap competition golf is stupid, especially single day.

"Congratulations mate, you had a good day compared to your normal shitty standard of golf. Here's a prize."

Top concept, that couldn't possibly be exploited.

Jake peralta
18th December 2017, 08:51 PM
Lol......thats bout it i think.......you may have forgot

What did you score mate........i lost count off the tee as you hit three in the water, then took two to get to the green then there was a cpuple of putts......yep it was a 4...*** mate top par that

jimandr
18th December 2017, 10:11 PM
Hmmm...

A friend of mine had 48 points in the Vets comp today. I play with him fairly regularly, and I've seen him shoot low 20's quite often. It happens. That is handicap golf.

It happens even more often in ambroses and 4bbb's and other events where the teammate can cancel out your three balls in the water.

The bottom line is this. Unless you actually saw someone cheat, keep quiet. Despite what you read on golf forums, most golfers do not cheat (except maybe in Holden Scrambles).

Hard_Pan
18th December 2017, 11:06 PM
We limited this years' Holden Scramble and our recent a Xmas Hambrose comp to our club members only. Winners still shot low scores but not stupid low scores and they both ended up being much more fun for everyone.

Johnny Canuck
19th December 2017, 12:31 AM
Our former club captain recently dropped 49 points, and he is no bagger.

Followed it up with 21.

Jake peralta
19th December 2017, 05:57 AM
Whats with the holden scramble thing, everyone seems to think a lot of it going on. Dont they have marshalls or is that another comp im thinking of

wazamac
19th December 2017, 07:22 AM
Scrambles are all down to the club. Last year we had 1 marshal but they can't be everywhere at once.
Played in one at Royal North Haven and they had two groups go on every tee. Seems like the best option to me as the opposition are always there to watch. Didn't slow up play all that much either.

I guess the possibility of a free trip brings out the best in people.

Captain Nemo
19th December 2017, 08:01 AM
Take up bowls...

Lagerlover
19th December 2017, 08:16 AM
Scrambles are all down to the club. Last year we had 1 marshal but they can't be everywhere at once.Played in one at Royal North Haven and they had two groups go on every tee. Seems like the best option to me as the opposition are always there to watch. Didn't slow up play all that much either.I guess the possibility of a free trip brings out the best in people. You're right waz, two teams in each group is the only way. "Randomly paired" by the committee to minimise funny business.

AndyP
19th December 2017, 12:44 PM
Take up bowls...I'm not very good at bowls. Will there be a handicap system available to allow me to compete and beat better players, and feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

okitoki
19th December 2017, 01:11 PM
Do most clubs still implement different grade comp for big tournaments? The Group A, B and C so everyone compete in their own grade. Then you would have the scratch scores as the "main events"

Sorry as I have not played in many major club comps recently, and this was common practice for weekly and major club comp when I was a kid.

mrbluu
19th December 2017, 01:12 PM
I agree with JP, if I've been playing for a year and a team beats my daughter (who is a jnr) and I, then the system is obviously crap!!!

Dotty
19th December 2017, 01:26 PM
The club is at fault.

First three prizes should be a couple of Callaway rocks or a cap for each player.

The good stuff like hams, cakes, golfbags and shirts should be lucky draw, for whoever stayed fo the presentation.

Sookie1
19th December 2017, 03:52 PM
The club is at fault. First three prizes should be a couple of Callaway rocks or a cap for each player.The good stuff like hams, cakes, golfbags and shirts should be lucky draw, for whoever stayed fo the presentation.What if you are a morning golfer? I always stay after my round for a couple of drinks and something to eat with the guys but I'm not going back at 5.30 Just for presentations. That's my kids and family time.

Dotty
19th December 2017, 04:01 PM
What if you are a morning golfer? I always stay after my round for a couple of drinks and something to eat with the guys but I'm not going back at 5.30 Just for presentations. That's my kids and family time.
Two comps. Two presentations.

It's a good way to move morning players from carpark only members to club members with a couple of drinks and a light meal after a game. Kids may even be welcome, and attract them early to golf.

Lagerlover
19th December 2017, 05:18 PM
That would solve the 3pp problem

Grumpy8
19th December 2017, 05:39 PM
I'm not very good at bowls. Will there be a handicap system available to allow me to compete and beat better players, and feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Only handicap is a beer after each end

Jake peralta
20th December 2017, 08:20 PM
Hey all, yeah didnt mean to be rude or start a shitfight but when groups of people score 12 under there regular handicap each.....in 9 holes!!!!!

All good ive cooled down, will throw the sticks around tomoz.....just mostly upset for the kids

Captain Nemo
20th December 2017, 08:28 PM
Grab a rose and come in here...
https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/29517-The-Ozgolf-chill-out-and-group-hug-room.?p=1366844#post1366844

mrbluu
20th December 2017, 10:31 PM
Hey all, yeah didnt mean to be rude or start a shitfight but when groups of people score 12 under there regular handicap each.....in 9 holes!!!!!

All good ive cooled down, will throw the sticks around tomoz.....just mostly upset for the kidsWas it an Ambrose event??

Jake peralta
21st December 2017, 07:13 PM
Was it an Ambrose event?? No