PDA

View Full Version : PGA Traineeship? Should i Shouldn't I?

Golfnapier
28th November 2017, 06:26 PM
Gday fellow golfers. New to the site and have a question right away for you all. I am considering starting a Traineeship, i am 28 years old, is this age classed as being "too old to start"?
Does anyone here have any advice or gone through the system recently? I'm off a 4 Handicap currently (I know the game will need to improve)

3oneday
28th November 2017, 06:29 PM
If you're after a Pro Shop job and can teach, not too late.

Otherwise, join the greens staff :)

Lagerlover
28th November 2017, 07:30 PM
This was my greatest regret...

Do it!!

Toxic
28th November 2017, 07:40 PM
Gday fellow golfers. New to the site and have a question right away for you all. I am considering starting a Traineeship, i am 28 years old, is this age classed as being "too old to start"? Does anyone here have any advice or gone through the system recently? I'm off a 4 Handicap currently (I know the game will need to improve) Not even worth the question, hell yes! Whats the worst thing that can happen

Steve57
28th November 2017, 07:44 PM
If you're after a Pro Shop job and can teach, not too late.

Otherwise, join the greens staff :)
This^^^^^^^

Dotty
28th November 2017, 08:03 PM
I hope you like dealing with the members, the other staff, the general manager, the reps, the committee, the members that think they know more than the committee, the ladies committee, the sub-ccommitees, the public, the tyre-kickers and anyone that can find the fitted equipment cheaper online.

Which leaves very little time for playing your own round of golf.

Golfnapier
28th November 2017, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the opinions, yeah thats exactly my thoughts about it. I don't want to look back and think "I should have".
Being new to this site I'm not too sure if this si the right place to post this? Could one of you regulars tell me if it is in the right forum?

3Puttpete
28th November 2017, 08:45 PM
Not even worth the question, hell yes! Whats the worst thing that can happen

It doesn’t work and he ends up in a job he doesn’t like. Not much to lose really.

Go for it.

Johnny Canuck
28th November 2017, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the opinions, yeah thats exactly my thoughts about it. I don't want to look back and think "I should have".
Being new to this site I'm not too sure if this si the right place to post this? Could one of you regulars tell me if it is in the right forum?

Definitely do it.

You never want to think “I should have”.

Lagerlover
28th November 2017, 09:28 PM
Definitely do it. You never want to think “I should have”.Like after reading Nemo's posts

Bomber55
28th November 2017, 10:14 PM
Yes,Yes,Yes. If it is your passion go for it. You only live once, have no regrets.

Rascal
28th November 2017, 11:14 PM
Alan from Aussie Golf reviewer on Youtube is a school friend of mine, He finished his traineeship in 2011 so i think he would have been about 26, a little earlier but not much from what your are saying. He was married and starting a family through the whole thing and would have a good idea of whats involved and options after you have finished. Seek him out on Social Media, I'm sure he would be able to answer any questions you might have.

Shreko
29th November 2017, 11:31 AM
Alan from Aussie Golf reviewer on Youtube is a school friend of mine, He finished his traineeship in 2011 so i think he would have been about 26, a little earlier but not much from what your are saying. He was married and starting a family through the whole thing and would have a good idea of whats involved and options after you have finished. Seek him out on Social Media, I'm sure he would be able to answer any questions you might have.

Alan Staines is his name, Awesome bloke,

A lot of political BS to get a decent position anywhere though

3Puttpete
29th November 2017, 11:45 AM
Chopper. Hasn't hit the middle of the club for years

Lagerlover
29th November 2017, 12:00 PM
Played a 4 man ambrose with him at Bribie a while ago...it was a choice of my drive or his most of the day.

He's a better bloke than a golfer.

Shreko
29th November 2017, 03:05 PM
Played a 4 man ambrose with him at Bribie a while ago...it was a choice of my drive or his most of the day.

He's a better bloke than a golfer.

Very true,

Most of us are I reckon!!!!

sticks
29th November 2017, 03:17 PM
I would do it for sure if I had a golf game. If you can get to a handicap of 3 or better go for it.

Golfnapier
29th November 2017, 09:27 PM
Cheers for the feedback. Yeah I'm currently on around 4/5, I'm guessing it will take me a bit of hard work to get down to a 2/3 and PLAYING to it consistantly.

Lucasto23
30th November 2017, 07:40 AM
From memory, you only need to maintain a playing handicap of 5 once in the program over 30 rounds max per year.

Captain Nemo
30th November 2017, 07:55 AM
If you’ve got a good education and a trade or something to fall back on if it fails go for it.
Nothing worse than having regrets...

Progolfgear
5th December 2017, 11:10 AM
I completed it in 2007. It is expensive (probably up to about $4,000 per year now) and time consuming. On top of your 38 hours per week obligation for shop/teaching/club tech, you have about 10 hours of academic studies + practice and playing golf (could easily be 10 hours for most).

Now that I have a young family and a mortgage, there is absolutely no way I could afford the pay cut +fees and the time I would need to set aside for academic and playing requirements. Am guessing you probably don't have such commitments to be considering doing a traineeship, but you have missed this years intake so best case you would be +4 years from now before completing your time so carefully consider your plans for the future.

From memory, you only need to maintain a playing handicap of 5 once in the program over 30 rounds max per year.

The playing standard doesn't directly correlate to an equivalent playing handicap, plenty golfers I know who play off 2/3 that wouldn't pass, consistency is the key for the playing standard.

The actual requirement put simply:
Must play a minimum of 30 rounds under approved conditions (trainee matches, pro-am's etc)
80% of the rounds count toward average (30 rounds played would mean you count your best 24 rounds)
Scores are adjusted against the par of the course (74 at a par 72 course would give you a +2)
Adjusted average must be no greater than +4.75

Compare this to the current handicapping system where only 8 out of 20 rounds count you can see why it is more about consistency than being able to shoot a good score.

Golfnapier
5th December 2017, 11:35 PM
Thank you very much for your input Progolfgear. Yes you are correct i don't have any commitments i.e. family and mortgage at this time. Very good point regarding looking ahead towards future plans (4 years time)
So it does seem to be a very time consuming commitment.
Yes the consistency regarding the scores could be an issue for me as you could appreciate being a 5 marker i am more then capable of the 80s blowout score.
Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

Shreko
6th December 2017, 08:38 PM
Thank you very much for your input Progolfgear. Yes you are correct i don't have any commitments i.e. family and mortgage at this time. Very good point regarding looking ahead towards future plans (4 years time)
So it does seem to be a very time consuming commitment.
Yes the consistency regarding the scores could be an issue for me as you could appreciate being a 5 marker i am more then capable of the 80s blowout score.
Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

I like your openness to all the info being offered,

If you can maintain a 5 marker at the course or similar you are looking at going trainee, I cannot see why you could not reduce that right down if you are committed to it, Yes, long hours in pro-shop/exams etc, but if this is your current chosen journey, I would imagine you will be eating and breathing golf and practice for the 4 years you need? And who knows, maybe it will spark something in your game and you can compete at a decent pro level?

Blackhelmo
10th December 2017, 11:09 PM
There are worse jobs out there than being on the green staff.... I mean you could be a tradie or lawyer or accountant or anything like that and pretend you know all there is to greenkeeping..... :) ;)

Go for it mate it's 3 years of your life.. That's nothing

All the best in your endeavours

PerryGroves
11th December 2017, 01:01 PM
Like most as you move towards retirement its the roads not travelled that cause you some discomfort. My only concern with going down a solely teaching/shop role is:

Does the old style "PGA Pro" in the pro shop model survive another 10 years, comprising lessons during the day with no Trackman equipment, very little retail etc.

I don't know the answer but I would ask the same thing about every sizeable club having a GM, a finance person and a F&B Manager

johnnyskiba
13th January 2018, 09:05 AM
You're only gonna get older and wonder about it more

oncewasagolfer
13th January 2018, 09:45 AM
Good luck golfnapier whatever you decide.

Toolish
16th January 2018, 10:13 AM
I am 36 with 2 kids and pondering the same thing having just got down to 3.0 so close to the mark!

Financially for me I think it may be doable, but one thing I have never understood (and honestly not looked into that much) is how do you actually get a traineeship at a certain club. Do I just approach the pro there and ask if there is a position available?

Having to relocate would probably kill the dream!

Golfnapier
20th January 2018, 12:34 PM
Hey Toolish,

Yeah i know the feeling, the better you keep scoring the more appealing the traineeship becomes.
In regard to getting a traineeship i believe you just have to approach club pros and ask them if they are looking at taking on a trainee. If you are lucky enough to get one then you just have to attend a playing aptitude test and ten you are on your way, from what i have heard