PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Dilema.

Bomber55
27th November 2017, 08:40 PM
Looking at an upgrade after about 30 years after having a fitting by a visiting Ping rep.
I have been using the Tommy Armour 845s irons which I have loved but with age, injuries, etc. I feel it's time to upgrade.
If I was 30 again I might have looked at more of a players iron as I loved to shape shots and get good response/feedback from my clubs but alas WTF happened.
Tried the Ping G400 irons and thought, YES, feel good. Have not had much chance to try other clubs due to the tyranny of distance to a pro shop but visiting Adelaide on Wednesday so looking at the Ping I200's as distance control may be better and the course I play is Bloody Windy with some elevated tees.
I am happy to stay with Ping and would appreciate help/suggestions. Am I on the right track or just a flog and should stay with full game improvement irons.
P.S. Play off 16, should get lower now I am playing more often and have been as low as 7.

WBennett
27th November 2017, 08:55 PM
Whatever you play will be an improvement on 845s. Technology has moved on.

Swing everything in the shop, and have fun. You have waited 30 years for this investment.

TheNuclearOne
27th November 2017, 09:05 PM
The 845's were a game improvement iron back in the day but would now be considered a small head. There would be some players irons no bigger i would think. I would be careful going full game improvement as you might get sick of the size and offset pretty quick.

Going by what you say you'd most likely handle a tweener (between players and game improvement) type set quite easily.

Try the i200 for sure. Main thing is getting the right set up/shaft if you like them.

thecollective
27th November 2017, 09:34 PM
i200 over G400 - plenty of forgiveness and still a reasonable sized head you can work with

G400 is a shovel + very hard to control shots out of the middle as they will fly a mile

PING are the most durable club on the market - my I20's will last me at least another 5 years

Enjoy!

Bomber55
27th November 2017, 10:31 PM
That's what I am concerned about, distance control over side accuracy. Rather be pin high and still on the green than thru.

When I get set up I will take you up on your kind offer to play Tanunda. Should have posted proper reply in the welcome thread, have a look.

Johnny Canuck
27th November 2017, 10:39 PM
Another vote for the i200.

Shovels will fly like crazy when caught in the correct spot.

Jazz18
27th November 2017, 11:55 PM
The most important thing in an iron is spin control and I don't mean getting it lower. Modern irons tend to knock spin off and can create "flyers" from the middle of the fairway as others have indicated. Make sure the irons spin the proper amount. For example 6000-7000 for a 7 iron for most people would be about right.

Most of all though, buy what you like. Don't worry about what your handicap is. Buy the irons that appeal to you, not what handicap bracket they supposedly fit into. Enjoy!

Toxic
28th November 2017, 12:54 PM
Looking at an upgrade after about 30 years after having a fitting by a visiting Ping rep.I have been using the Tommy Armour 845s irons which I have loved but with age, injuries, etc. I feel it's time to upgrade.If I was 30 again I might have looked at more of a players iron as I loved to shape shots and get good response/feedback from my clubs but alas WTF happened.Tried the Ping G400 irons and thought, YES, feel good. Have not had much chance to try other clubs due to the tyranny of distance to a pro shop but visiting Adelaide on Wednesday so looking at the Ping I200's as distance control may be better and the course I play is Bloody Windy with some elevated tees.I am happy to stay with Ping and would appreciate help/suggestions. Am I on the right track or just a flog and should stay with full game improvement irons.P.S. Play off 16, should get lower now I am playing more often and have been as low as 7. Mizuno time

thecollective
28th November 2017, 03:37 PM
Mizuno time

Yes but in terms of durability I don't think they last the distance Toxic - I reckon Bomber is more a PING man as he will not be upgrading his clubs very often (based on previous info)

Each to their own though - best feeling club the Mizzy yes I admit; I am both a Mizuno and PING player

Grumpy8
28th November 2017, 05:00 PM
Yes but in terms of durability I don't think they last the distance Toxic - I reckon Bomber is more a PING man as he will not be upgrading his clubs very often (based on previous info)Each to their own though - best feeling club the Mizzy yes I admit; I am both a Mizuno and PING player I have a set of mizuno jpx cast irons that I bought 2 nd hand off eBay bout 3 yrs ago and I have put a lot of rounds into them .So as I know what to look for what affects their durability and or makes ping last longer

JoeS
28th November 2017, 06:56 PM
Yes but in terms of durability I don't think they last the distance Toxic - I reckon Bomber is more a PING man as he will not be upgrading his clubs very often (based on previous info)

Each to their own though - best feeling club the Mizzy yes I admit; I am both a Mizuno and PING playerI'm with Toxic,MIZUNO time[emoji41]

milo-man20
28th November 2017, 08:49 PM
Another Mizzie vote here. JPX 900 forged sound right up your alley.

I'm with Toxic,MIZUNO time[emoji41]

Bomber55
28th November 2017, 10:10 PM
I will be 92 next time I upgrade guys. Might be looking at walkers.

3oneday
29th November 2017, 06:50 AM
If you get a chance, mizuno h4 or h5 are an excellent all round club, worth comparing.

billp
29th November 2017, 08:26 AM
Cleveland CBX irons, they are a cheaper option, but every bit as good as anything out there.

Gammon
2nd December 2017, 03:22 PM
I will be 92 next time I upgrade guys. Might be looking at walkers.If you buy a set every 30 years go splurge and get fitted properly with cool clubs/ pure form etc. You're worth it Bomber55! [emoji6].

Bomber55
2nd December 2017, 04:24 PM
Thanks for you thoughts guys, appreciate it.
I have had another look at Mizuno and felt pretty good but it looks like staying with the Ping I200 irons 4-UW + 3 Crossover, Ping Glide2 54' + my Clevland 58', Ping G400 Driver + my Mizuno 3Wood. I might just buy anotherrrrrr putter. The Ping G Tyne looks good.