PDA

View Full Version : how many putts do you have ?

Grumpy8
7th November 2017, 11:51 AM
Recently had a putting lesson and am now focusing on improving my putting .Part of which is keeping a count of my putts per round . Thought it might be interesting to compare stats . Have heard teaching pros say you should be down under 30 putts per round and to get down around 26 . Obviously some of that would depend on how many greens in reg you hit or don't hit(as in my case) and how close you can get it to the hole . There is an opportunity for some bragging but I am trying to compare my putting and get an idea of how I am going . Be competitive and lets see how low we can get the numbers .

Only count putts as on the green , putting from the fringe or around the green is a chip , eg holing out from the fringe is zero putts .

On saturday I had 27 putts from 4 GIR, no 3 putts ,84 gross 74 nett ,no birdies, I rated my putting as good, my chipping as bad and Iron play average ,this was on recently cored greens

WBennett
7th November 2017, 12:47 PM
Grumpy

Week 1 of GL club champs, I had 24 putts with 2 three putts where I had 20+ metre first attempts. Missed greens and collars by a couple of inches all day, but got up and down and had 9 one putts in a row. Shot 79.
Last weekend I had 34 putts, with one three putt. Hit so many GIR's, but made one putt over 6 foot for the day, but only had 2 putts from between 6 and 15 foot all round. Shot 79.

Putting is a handy stat to count, but doesn't necessarily tell the story of your day.

3Puttpete
7th November 2017, 01:27 PM
You've gotta keep putts per GIR and putts per non GIR. The raw numbers are meaningless I reckon.

WBennett
7th November 2017, 01:37 PM
Former poster Jack aka Webster (Hi Shane, still loitering I see) used to to talk about number of feet of putts holed as a useful stat.

If you can hole over 100 foot of putts, you are probably having a good putting day.

Grumpy8
7th November 2017, 01:47 PM
GrumpyWeek 1 of GL club champs, I had 24 putts with 2 three putts where I had 20+ metre first attempts. Missed greens and collars by a couple of inches all day, but got up and down and had 9 one putts in a row. Shot 79.Last weekend I had 34 putts, with one three putt. Hit so many GIR's, but made one putt over 6 foot for the day, but only had 2 putts from between 6 and 15 foot all round. Shot 79.Putting is a handy stat to count, but doesn't necessarily tell the story of your day. This is what I am trying to get at and gauge , 27 putts sounds good but may not be , that's why gir and chipping need to be included .However, after awhile trends should become evident that I can compare my putting too

Toxic
7th November 2017, 02:19 PM
Former poster Jack aka Webster (Hi Shane, still loitering I see) used to to talk about number of feet of putts holed as a useful stat.If you can hole over 100 foot of putts, you are probably having a good putting day. Thats a great way indeed. Unless your running 6ft passed on a 5ft putt and holing the return putt

wazamac
7th November 2017, 02:21 PM
Too many. :cry:

3Puttpete
7th November 2017, 02:22 PM
Too many. :cry:More stableford rounds mate. Problem solvered.

wazamac
7th November 2017, 02:24 PM
Just come off playing 6 stroke rounds in a row, so glad when Champs is on.

Won't have to count any putts cause will be out of shots before the green.

3Puttpete
7th November 2017, 02:26 PM
That's the spirit!

jimandr
7th November 2017, 05:00 PM
You've gotta keep putts per GIR and putts per non GIR. The raw numbers are meaningless I reckon.

This is the closest so far, as far as us amateurs are concerned.

Total number of putts is almost meaningless, particularly if you are doing the professional standard of not counting putts from inches off the green.

For us amateurs, two things are important (and importantly, can be improved). Number of successful two-putt attempts, and number of putts holed from between 4 and 10 feet. I think Bushy may have had something in his stats program that covered this.

Realistically, we should be aiming to hole everything within 3 feet, and we should be aiming to get everything outside 20 feet within 3 feet so we can get off the green with no more than 2 putts.

The day I had 22 putts (my personal record) was mainly a result of chipping to tap in distance a number of times. The days I have 39 putts (done many times) are always because I can't get the long ones close, and then because I can't hole anything outside 3 feet.

Personally, I don't bother with putting stats. I know when I've putted well, and I know when I haven't. I also know that putting practice is the most boring thing in golf, and I lose interest after 5 minutes.

mrbluu
7th November 2017, 07:21 PM
On saturday I had 27 putts from 4 GIR, no 3 putts ,84 gross 74 nett ,no birdies, I rated my putting as good, my chipping as bad and Iron play average ,this was on recently cored greens

Ur on the right track mate. If ur aren't having any 3 putts then it's not ur putting that is the issue unless u are consistently missing putts inside 3-5 feet.

I would look at ur ball striking or it chipping.

Grumpy8
7th November 2017, 07:33 PM
Ur on the right track mate. If ur aren't having any 3 putts then it's not ur putting that is the issue unless u are consistently missing putts inside 3-5 feet. I would look at ur ball striking or it chipping.In the above round it was my chipping I had 3 on one hole .followed by my ball striking with my irons . On further analysis I only had two gir .The reason for the putting lesson was even when I had good scores there were several 3 putts and missed short putts .

Matt 3 Jab
7th November 2017, 07:50 PM
I play a course with bigger greens, so i hit a fair few greens. And as such i usually have 34 putts (or more) on average.

The feet of made putts would be better to keep but damn hard to record.

A good round for me is 30 putts.

ZENNON
8th November 2017, 04:52 PM
Most of the time between 1 and 4 per hole, so simple maths gives us a range of 18 to 72

mrbluu
9th November 2017, 09:39 AM
Ur on the right track mate. If ur aren't having any 3 putts then it's not ur putting that is the issue unless u are consistently missing putts inside 3-5 feet.

I would look at ur ball striking or it chipping.Now that you had putting lesson keep working on that and then get ur chipping in order and then u can move to ur irons.

With chipping try to leave the ball below the hole so it's an easier putt. Also not short siding yourself with approach shots will make it easier to get it up and down.

I average around 30-31 putts and hit about 7 greens around.

Grumpy8
9th November 2017, 09:44 AM
Now that you had putting lesson keep working on that and then get ur chipping in order and then u can move to ur irons. With chipping try to leave the ball below the hole so it's an easier putt. Also not short siding yourself with approach shots will make it easier to get it up and down. I average around 30-31 putts and hit about 7 greens around.Thanks , is what I am planning , will be happy to hit 7to 9 greens and average 30 putts .

Grumpy8
11th November 2017, 09:54 AM
Ok so I played on Thursday and had 30 putts with two three putts . Greens are recovering from the coring and were quicker, both 3 putts were speed errors.Had 86 nett 76 (par 71).
Did some analysis of my last two rounds and have come up with a system to keep tabs of my golf .
Shots outside 100 mt and inside 100 including putts fairways in reg , greens in reg . Putts I am going to break down into under 2 mt 2-4 , 4-7 , +7 .
Aim being 1 putt under 2 mt and no 3 putts any distance and 2 putt all +7 .
Thoughts ??

3Puttpete
12th November 2017, 10:31 AM
0 greens, 29 putts, 32 points.

Make of that what you will.

Captain Nemo
12th November 2017, 10:38 AM
0 greens, 29 putts, 32 points. Make of that what you will. Looks like we have the new Fav for the Vic Champs. Better start preparing your victory speech....

Courty
12th November 2017, 11:23 AM
According to GameBook (over 180 rounds in my history), I average a tick over 30 putts per round. To break it down further... 1.72 putts per hole, 1.96 per GIR, 1.58 per missed green.
For comparison, my average GIR per round is just under 7.

Lagerlover
12th November 2017, 12:23 PM
Looks like we have the new Fav for the Vic Champs. Better start preparing your victory speech....

lol. Gold Nemo

#howgoodarechippers

Captain Nemo
12th November 2017, 01:14 PM
lol. Gold Nemo

#howgoodarechippers

He should be thankful.
Most years I've been down someone in my room has won a day event or the whole thing!
(Including me winning 2 Friday events...) :)

Grumpy8
12th November 2017, 01:45 PM
So this mornings round , 30 putts no 3 putts , under 2 mts 2 from 3 , u4 3/6 u 7 0/5 +7 1/4 , fir 9/13 gir 6/18. Shots from +100 was 31 from -100 was 50 .
To break 80 I need to go under thirty and 50 . There was a penalty in the 31 and a bladed chip thru the green in the 50
Score was 36 points so think today might be the average yardstick to work off