PDA

View Full Version : Toulon Putters

Jazz18
10th October 2017, 12:30 AM
Was maybe keen to grab one of the San Diego's when they came out here but there's no chance of that now. Heard RRP is going to be around the $650 mark! Really Callaway? Scotty Camerons at $500-550 are steep as it is for an OTR putter but $650 for something that's not custom? They are f%&kin kidding themselves.

Ok, rant over. First world problem I know. Sorry, as you were.

benno_r
10th October 2017, 12:55 AM
Was maybe keen to grab one of the San Diego's when they came out here but there's no chance of that now. Heard RRP is going to be around the $650 mark! Really Callaway? Scotty Camerons at $500-550 are steep as it is for an OTR putter but $650 for something that's not custom? They are f%&kin kidding themselves.

Ok, rant over. First world problem I know. Sorry, as you were.Strong following in the US where pricing is on par with a Scotty. Which is what you expect as they have similar features.

Unlikely to make a dent here at that price, except maybe purists who don't want an insert. I will grab a Columbus one day (when one pops up second hand).

Jazz18
10th October 2017, 01:02 AM
Strong following in the US where pricing is on par with a Scotty. Which is what you expect as they have similar features.

Unlikely to make a dent here at that price, except maybe purists who don't want an insert. I will grab a Columbus one day (when one pops up second hand).Agreed. Would have expected them to be around the same price as a SC but as you say, won't get much of a following at that price OTR. What a shame.

benno_r
10th October 2017, 07:17 AM
Agreed. Would have expected them to be around the same price as a SC but as you say, won't get much of a following at that price OTR. What a shame.I don't think Aus would be a big concern for them. Already too much Ody range for a small market like ours.

ZENNON
11th October 2017, 03:59 PM
Yeah no way I'll ever spend that sort of money on a putter, having said that

This site is quite well done IMO
http://blog.odysseygolf.com/toulondesign/

and the whole design-your-own idea is clever
http://www.odysseygolf.com/toulon-garage/

Jazz18
11th October 2017, 04:05 PM
I would have no issue paying that for a putter but certainly not for an OTR putter that will be worth less than a second hand Scotty as soon as I carry it out of the shop.

Love the Toulon custom putter idea too but I believe it's not being offered in Oz and with the pricing of the OTR stuff, I dare say the pricing would be absurd!

ZENNON
11th October 2017, 04:51 PM
Just designed The Coin Daddy, which can be purchased for 914.99USD :mrgreen:

Matt 3 Jab
11th October 2017, 05:41 PM
Think I'd rather 2 lajosi's for that price or a few second hand mills / byrons

Jazz18
11th October 2017, 05:42 PM
Just designed The Coin Daddy, which can be purchased for 914.99USD :mrgreen:

46553Nice! I did one a couple of weeks back based on the San Diego in black with a site dot (no line) and with yellow white and grey paintfill. Wasn't quite that much $ wise but you can't go through to checkout as an international customer I believe.

Callaway suck!

benno_r
11th October 2017, 06:13 PM
Think I'd rather 2 lajosi's for that price or a few second hand mills / byrons

Have a think what that gets you new in the custom putter market in the US.

Custom Scotty - us$2k
Custom Betti - us$1.2k
Custom Byron - us$500
Custom Mills - us$750

The Toulon garage has been quite popular with the US custom putter crowd. The mistake here was pricing OTR above Scotty. Quality / performance would be quite similar.

Mayborn
11th October 2017, 06:35 PM
The San Diego looks excellent.

Jazz18
11th October 2017, 06:48 PM
Think I'd rather 2 lajosi's for that price or a few second hand mills / byronsYep, I'm starting to think the same. A Lajosi might be more feasible than a San Diego.

Jazz18
11th October 2017, 06:52 PM
Have a think what that gets you new in the custom putter market in the US.

Custom Scotty - us$2k
Custom Betti - us$1.2k
Custom Byron - us$500
Custom Mills - us$750

The Toulon garage has been quite popular with the US custom putter crowd. The mistake here was pricing OTR above Scotty. Quality / performance would be quite similar.Custom Byron might be nice too!

I priced a custom shop SC a few months back and with the price of the putter would have been about $1k. Do you mean the gallery putters Benno? They are minimum $3-3.5k these days. Some of them are so nice though.

Tyson Lamb make some amazing stuff as well but minimum $1.2k USD I believe.

benno_r
11th October 2017, 07:12 PM
Custom Byron might be nice too!

I priced a custom shop SC a few months back and with the price of the putter would have been about $1k. Do you mean the gallery putters Benno? They are minimum $3-3.5k these days. Some of them are so nice though.

Tyson Lamb make some amazing stuff as well but minimum $1.2k USD I believe.

Yeah Gallery putters - the less desirable can get as low as $2000. You could argue a custom shop Scotty and Toulon garage are similar, and the Toulon probably pips the CS in price.

Lamb is an odd case. He has been spending more time spruiking himself as the new Scotty Cameron and not making putters. Most putters he makes go straight to collectors and not the mass market. Customer service seems fairly poor, so I'd be surprised you could get one, especially a cheapie at $1200

Jazz18
11th October 2017, 07:37 PM
Yeah Gallery putters - the less desirable can get as low as $2000. You could argue a custom shop Scotty and Toulon garage are similar, and the Toulon probably pips the CS in price.

Lamb is an odd case. He has been spending more time spruiking himself as the new Scotty Cameron and not making putters. Most putters he makes go straight to collectors and not the mass market. Customer service seems fairly poor, so I'd be surprised you could get one, especially a cheapie at $1200OK, I didn't know the gallery stuff could be had that cheaply. Yeah agreed SC custom shop and Toulon Garage is pretty much the same type of thing.

Jazz18
11th October 2017, 07:38 PM

Lamb is an odd case. He has been spending more time spruiking himself as the new Scotty Cameron and not making putters. Most putters he makes go straight to collectors and not the mass market. Customer service seems fairly poor, so I'd be surprised you could get one, especially a cheapie at $1200Interesting about Tyson Lamb. It certainly looks like the website hasn't had any action from when I first saw it months ago so not surprised if it's more marketing than substance.

Matt 3 Jab
11th October 2017, 07:41 PM
I still have my C&L putter which are now black lab or something

I think even slighter still make customs, bobby grace, xenon, machine and the like. BUT scottys and the others would have resale. The others less so.

There is a super nice clean looking cameron circle t midslant on ebay that looks pure, but $1500 is a lot.

Ferrins
28th November 2018, 07:14 AM
Rolling a San Diego atm however probably prefer the milled collection ss it's lighter.

Rodent
28th November 2018, 07:38 AM
What's the return on investment? That is to say, how much does the expensive putter improve strokes gained putting? Hopefully it's not just a fashion accessory like a lady's designer handbag.

Ferrins
28th November 2018, 08:00 AM
The harder it is to justify the cost the more potential value it has, like a Jackson Pollack painting. Your putter could be worth 50 bucks but if Tiger Woods borrowed it and won the next major with it then you could probably get $100000 plus