PDA

View Full Version : How good is the 510 TP

Pinglauncher
5th July 2006, 01:25 PM
I could not be happier with my 905R at the moment and don't see it moving out of my main bag.

I have however always loved the look of the 510 TP head and even as a backup driver I would prefer something around the 400cc mark in size.

I am sure there are plenty of ho's out there that either have played / still play this club and would welcome your thoughts.

Jarro
5th July 2006, 01:28 PM
great club.

perfect size and shape.

grab one mate, you won't be disappointed.

Courty
5th July 2006, 01:32 PM
They're good.
Got one in my bag now, and it ain't going anywhere.

Moe Norman
5th July 2006, 01:34 PM
i have one in the bag, so I guess that means i really like them.

i think the 905S is perhaps just as good though, depends on the shaft really.

prmeier
5th July 2006, 01:39 PM
Have used plenty of drivers and the 510TP is the best for me.

Great feel, not too big, and as long as anything else out there with the right shaft.

rick3003
5th July 2006, 01:42 PM
Awesome stick. Very tempted to buy a Tour 510tp.

The 510tp I played was 8.5 and was a little too demanding. Would have to be at least 9.5 with a high launch shaft! Fuji Six/Diamana Red etc

They are going fairly cheap these days too. They have such a solid feel, the only club I have found close to in feel is the Bridgey 460! More forgiving too!

Courty
5th July 2006, 01:42 PM
Id be surprised if anyone around here (except the ant-ho's :roll:) had anything bad to say about them.

Moe Norman
5th July 2006, 01:47 PM
my Mizuno MP001 was definately longer - but it was far less forgiving and you really had to catch it ion the middle to see the benefits.

miro
5th July 2006, 01:48 PM
Best driver ever, can't imagine buying another driver till my TP breaks.

perci
5th July 2006, 01:51 PM
I picked up a Bridgey J33p [375cc] yesterday,the look and feel reminds me a lot of the numourous 510tp's iv'e had but it seems to launch a little higher witch i need.

Webster
5th July 2006, 02:00 PM
I think the r510TP is really over-rated and I dont like it at all.

Jarro
5th July 2006, 02:01 PM
I think the r510TP is really over-rated and I dont like it at all.

.. all the more reason to get one

Webster
5th July 2006, 02:07 PM
.. all the more reason to get one
Thats a bit silly Jarro - aren't I allowed to not like something?

Jarro
5th July 2006, 02:09 PM
Thats a bit silly Jarro - aren't I allowed to not like something?

no.

you're supposed to come in here and praise the 510 like the rest of us :roll:

get with the program

Grunt
5th July 2006, 02:11 PM
What is 510? ;)

Webster
5th July 2006, 02:12 PM
Ok then. I change my mind just to suit you.

The r510 is sweet......
It's the longest driver I've ever hit.
I can work this baby both ways.
etc, etc, etc....

kwantfm
5th July 2006, 02:20 PM
Jack,

What don't you like about it?

T

3oneday
5th July 2006, 02:21 PM
Id be surprised if anyone around here (except the ant-ho's :roll:) had anything bad to say about them.crap crubs, be actually good if they were made by Callaway ;) but all Taylormade sucks.

Webster
5th July 2006, 02:29 PM
Jack,

What don't you like about it?

T

Finally some sensible comments to respond to.

For starters, please understand that I have hit this thing in a number of differnent shaft and loft combinations. (9.5 speeder stiff, 9.5 accra stiff, 9.5 vista pro stiff, 10.5 speeder reg, 10.5 grafalloy blue). Its a nice looking club and I really wnated to like it, beleive me. And just so you can get a feel for my ability, I swing it at about 110mph with a mid to low launch and generally play a draw (sometimes a hook).

I found it too low launching and couldn't get consistent ball flight with it. It just wanted to go low to the right with an inconsistent pattern. And it went short. Way short. Just no "ping" to it at all.

I suspect this driver is something that only high launchers should be using. Low ball players like me are better off with something else. There is also a fade bias (or square) which stops me from turning the ball over as per normal. it wouldnt go where I wanted it to go.

So I just dont like it at all, for all the reasons outlined above. I found the r580XD a much better driver to be honest.

I have gone to a Titleist 905T in 9.5 grafalloy blue in stiff (44") which is working very well. It is easily 10-15 metres longer than any of the 5r10tp's I tried, probably because of the better launch.

Jack.

Pinglauncher
5th July 2006, 02:53 PM
crap crubs, be actually good if they were made by Callaway ;) but all Taylormade sucks.

Took you long enough !!!!!!!

Pinglauncher
5th July 2006, 02:56 PM

For starters, please understand that I have hit this thing in a number of differnent shaft and loft combinations. (9.5 speeder stiff, 9.5 accra stiff, 9.5 vista pro stiff, 10.5 speeder reg, 10.5 grafalloy blue). Its a nice looking club and I really wnated to like it, beleive me. And just so you can get a feel for my ability, I swing it at about 110mph with a mid to low launch and generally play a draw (sometimes a hook).

I found it too low launching and couldn't get consistent ball flight with it. It just wanted to go low to the right with an inconsistent pattern. And it went short. Way short. Just no "ping" to it at all.

I suspect this driver is something that only high launchers should be using. Low ball players like me are better off with something else. There is also a fade bias (or square) which stops me from turning the ball over as per normal. it wouldnt go where I wanted it to go.

So I just dont like it at all, for all the reasons outlined above. I found the r580XD a much better driver to be honest.

I have gone to a Titleist 905T in 9.5 grafalloy blue in stiff (44") which is working very well. It is easily 10-15 metres longer than any of the 5r10tp's I tried, probably because of the better launch.

Jack.

Thanks Jack, this does give me something to work with. Although my SS is no where near yours it sounds ball flight is similar and low lauch heads are not good for me.

I was thinking 10.5* with something like a Fuji Tour Platform 26.3 reg.

Courty
5th July 2006, 02:59 PM
Thanks Jack, this does give me something to work with. Although my SS is no where near yours it sounds ball flight is similar and low lauch heads are not good for me.

I was thinking 10.5* with something like a Fuji Tour Platform 26.3 reg.

Mine is a 10.5° with a Tour Platform 27.3 Stiff. It's not quite as long as my old R580 w/ Rifle Graphite, but it is much more stable and consistent.

AndyP
5th July 2006, 03:32 PM
Id be surprised if anyone around here (except the ant-ho's :roll:) had anything bad to say about them.
Who the hell buys and sells ants?
Can you get TOUR ants?

Fishman Dan
5th July 2006, 03:36 PM
It's a sweeeeet stick.

Forgiving for a blade.

Btw Jarro.... get with the programme ;)

Courty
5th July 2006, 03:43 PM

A few people (http://p211.ezboard.com/bantfarm) apparently.

Can you get TOUR ants?

Why don't you sign up and ask them?

Choppa
5th July 2006, 04:07 PM
Can you get TOUR ants?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I love your input Andy

AndyP
5th July 2006, 04:20 PM
A few people (http://p211.ezboard.com/bantfarm) apparently.

Looks like the ant-hoing must have got out of control at some stage.

Please click here (http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/messageboardrules.html) to read the news, notes, tips, rules (e.g., no trading and selling ants)

BrisVegas
5th July 2006, 04:21 PM
I've only hit one once or twice and it felt fine. I don't like the shape of the head, in fact all of hte Taylormades look weird to me.

If you are looking for a 400cc backup to go with your 905R, why not look at the 905S?? At least it would offer you a different (lower, less spin) ballflight option, whilst keeping the same "look".

Falcon
5th July 2006, 05:24 PM
I picked up a Bridgey J33p [375cc] yesterday,the look and feel reminds me a lot of the numourous 510tp's iv'e had but it seems to launch a little higher witch i need.

This would be the PERFECT choice... they're the same pear shape. With beautiful feel to boot. I'm sure a brand newy could be had for a steal.

Jarro
6th July 2006, 01:25 AM

well why didn't you just tell us in the first place what it was you didn't like about the 510 ? we're not mind readers Jack, just tell us straight out ... no need to get all narky up there in the ivory tower.

geez, you're starting to sound a lot like Fishman Dan :roll:

AndyP
6th July 2006, 03:45 AM
Sweeeeeet!
http://www.foogle.biz/ants/ants_Pseudomyrmex_apache.jpg

3oneday
6th July 2006, 07:05 AM
This would have to be thread that has gone the furtherest off topic in memory !!!!!!!!!!

nice work by the way !!!;)

Webster
6th July 2006, 07:19 AM
well why didn't you just tell us in the first place what it was you didn't like about the 510 ? we're not mind readers Jack, just tell us straight out ... no need to get all narky up there in the ivory tower.

You really are demonstrating to everyone here what a complete and utter nuffy you really are Jarro.

Other than "perfect size and shape" you have failed to add anything to this discussion to convince anyone why you have A CLUE as to what you are talking about. Maybe thats why you are stuck on a crappy 11 handicap - its now clear that you not only cant play the game at a serious level, but you cant talk about it with any credibility either. You are an idiot!!!!!!

Jarro
6th July 2006, 08:58 AM
everyone here knows what i think of the 510TP's Jack ... i say it often enough and actually get people telling me to shut-the-hell -up about it :roll:

thanks for sharing what urkes you about the 510 .. we are all a bit wiser now for knowing a little more about your likes/dislikes.

for your info too, i'm off 12, not 11.

Fishman Dan
6th July 2006, 09:32 AM

Reow!

How on earth am I the chief protagonist? Remember - i'm (unfortunately) on the TaylorMade bandwagon.... for now.

Note - 1 round with a Cally FT3 and I shoot 40 points. Next stop, anything but TM.

3oneday
6th July 2006, 10:19 AM
Note - 1 round with a Cally FT3 and I shoot 40 points. Next stop, anything but TM.;)

Jarro
6th July 2006, 10:21 AM
Note - 1 round with a Cally FT3 and I shoot 40 points. Next stop, anything but TM.

What was the breakdown of your round then ?

How many fairways/putts/GIR's did you have ?

pretty keen to hear how a new driver can inspire an extreme anti-ho to shoot 40 points.

.. you should've started Ho-ing ages ago ;)

Fishman Dan
6th July 2006, 10:47 AM
Fairways, or 'effective tee shots'? :roll:

5th - Tee shot was in the trees, able to punch 120m to dead-centre of the fairway to set up the approach. Made par on a hole that i stuff up regularly.
7th - Centre of fairway, about 20 metres further than normal.
9th - Middle of fairway.
12th - Middle of fairway
14th - Pulled it over trees to neighbouring fairway. Note - ball went left, not right! ;)
15th - left tree line, in a little trouble. Still made par ;)
18th - Tired Power-fade after dropping shots on 16 and 17 :oops: Still got my 6/2.

I'd sooner spend my money on an FT3 than anymore TM garbage, even though after every shot i thought "BUGGER, mishit..." only to see it flying beautifully, straight where it was aimed. The sound the FT3 makes takes some getting used to!

I was actually 7-up standing on the 16th tee and had a couple of brain farts on 16 and 17 :( 40 points with 30 putts... crikey.

Sorry Ping - have your thread back. But Jarro did ask! ;)

3oneday
6th July 2006, 11:11 AM
I'd sooner spend my money on an FT3 than anymore TM garbage;)

Fishman Dan
6th July 2006, 11:29 AM
.....except i'm waiting for 3oneday to drop his price to something a little more reasonable. :p

;)

3oneday
6th July 2006, 12:24 PM
.....except i'm waiting for 3oneday to drop his price to something a little more reasonable. :p

;)
Here is a task for you, find a better price........ ;)

Fishman Dan
6th July 2006, 12:30 PM
All i can find in that bargain basement price range is TaylorMade equipment.... :roll: :p

Jarro
6th July 2006, 12:32 PM
just take your time and make sure you get one with the right shaft in it the first time FD :roll:

Jarro
6th July 2006, 02:52 PM
OK ... THAT'S IT !!!!!

if an FT-3 can sort out the trainwreck that is Fishy's game ... then i'm going to get one too 8)

Courty
6th July 2006, 02:54 PM
OK ... THAT'S IT !!!!!

if an FT-3 can sort out the trainwreck that is Fishy's game ... then i'm going to get one too 8)

Ho. ;)

3oneday
6th July 2006, 03:03 PM
OK ... THAT'S IT !!!!!

then i'm going to get one too 8)http://ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5167

Jarro
6th July 2006, 03:05 PM
http://ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5167

too expensive, and too many pop-ups :mrgreen:

AndyP
6th July 2006, 03:10 PM
That's brilliant, jarro. And you didn't have to go "off-topic" in his pro-shop thread to do it.

Jarro
6th July 2006, 03:12 PM
thankyou very much

Ducky
6th July 2006, 05:37 PM
Please tell me you are not serious.

3oneday
6th July 2006, 08:09 PM
Please tell me you are not serious.who and about what ???? :confused:

Jarro
7th July 2006, 01:03 AM
Please tell me you are not serious.

i might be.

i'll have to demo one first, and see if all the hype is indeed just that ;)

Fishman Dan
7th July 2006, 07:58 AM
Hype??? What do you call 10 hackers praising a 510TP?? :lol:

Jarro
7th July 2006, 03:09 PM
i think i'd listen to a 10 capper before i listened to you Fishy :roll:

no offence intended ;)

3oneday
7th July 2006, 03:21 PM
i think i'd listen to a 10 capper before i listened to you Fishy :roll:jack was right ;)

:p

Fishman Dan
7th July 2006, 03:45 PM
i think i'd listen to a 10 capper before i listened to you Fishy :roll:

no offence intended ;)

Consider me a 10 handicapper with a TaylorMade driver ;)

terryand
7th July 2006, 06:57 PM
FWIW, my 510 is in the bag until it breaks or get stolen or whatever.

Being a lefty and only being able to get it in 9*, I was a bit apprehensive after using 7* driver for along time.

Coupled with the Harrison Striper, I actually hit the 9* 510 lower than my previous 7* drivers.

I find with this driver I have the ability to hit it high or low, left to right or right to left.

I've thought of trying out other drivers, but figured why spend money on something that "might" give me an extra 5 metres.

So is this hype Fishy,I'm I considered a hacker or capper?

Terry.

Jarro
7th July 2006, 07:05 PM
now ya done it Fishy, you got Tezza on your case ;)

terryand
7th July 2006, 07:05 PM
You really are demonstrating to everyone here what a complete and utter nuffy you really are Jarro.

Other than "perfect size and shape" you have failed to add anything to this discussion to convince anyone why you have A CLUE as to what you are talking about. Maybe thats why you are stuck on a crappy 11 handicap - its now clear that you not only cant play the game at a serious level, but you cant talk about it with any credibility either. You are an idiot!!!!!!

from the Nudgee website :

JARRETT, Mark (12) DIV 1 WINNER (Nett 66)

GRUNDIE, ANDREW ( 8 ) DIV 1 R/UP CB (Nett 68 )

:-# ;)

Terry.

Webster
7th July 2006, 07:12 PM
could you be any more selective?

Terry, what is your handicap.

Ducky
7th July 2006, 07:17 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/AssNinjaLoLo/OWNED.jpg

terryand
7th July 2006, 07:18 PM
could you be any more selective?