PDA

View Full Version : Different Formats

AndyP
4th July 2006, 04:26 PM
I just received a leaflet from Brookwater with a couple of interesting and quite different formats for a golf round.

The Mulligan Swindle (30/7 - $75)
Single Stableford
Each team receives 3 mulligans (free shots) on each nine holes (6 mulligans in total).

The Rope Challenge (13/8 - $75)
4 person Ambrose
Teams start with 10m of rope and are permitted to move the ball a total of 10m during the round, cutting off a piece of rop the same distance as the ball is moved. Once all the rope is used, no more moves are permitted.

These two formats, especially the latter, sound like fun. For the rope challenge, I think I would use the rope mostly on short putts to put the ball in the hole, or if it was stuck in really big trouble.

Another format, which sounds like fun, that I have heard of, but have never seen played is flag. In this format, everyone carries a flag, and places it on the course where they finish with their last shot (par + handicap).
For example, if the course is a par 72 and my cap is 10, I would get 82 shots. I would place the flag, wherever my 82nd shot finishes. This may be after starting to play the course again. The person who's flag is the furtherest wins.

How would you play the formats above?
Any other different formats that you have played?

Jarro
4th July 2006, 04:29 PM
anything ...... as long as it isn't PAR :roll:

amanda
4th July 2006, 04:30 PM
AndyP - I've seen something similar to the rope at charity days - "get out of trouble" pieces of 1m string available for purchase at $1 each. You can buy as many as you like.

billybaub
11th July 2006, 01:51 AM
so for 6000 bucks i can win with a score of about 5

Flowergirl
11th July 2006, 06:57 AM
We play flag - good fun. Last time we played it the flag for A grade was about 150 mtrs down the 18th fairway and we were one of the last groups. I had two shots left and I thought beaudy - this is mine. Teed off OOB- bugger!!!

Played at Devil Bend week before last and they had preferred lies through the green. That was like the rope game- you could move the ball six inches where ever ( not on the green). Helped a lot!!!!

Have you played bisque (?) par?

markTHEblake
12th July 2006, 09:40 AM
Have you played bisque (?) par?

Bisque is the right spelling.... Bisque Bogey sounds much more catchy though :-)

It's an enjoyable variation on a Par event. Instead of using the Stroke Index, the golfer decides after play of each hole how many handicap strokes he will use on that hole.

Havent played in one since i was on about 20 handicap, and like a lot golfers in this event i stuffed it up and had shots left over at the end.

Ive also played;

Irish Stableford: team of 4, best score first 6 holes, then best 2 scores, then best 3. (apparently there are other variations of irish stableford though)

Multiplier stableford: team of two, multiply your stableford points each hole. eg 2 x 3 = 6.

4B worst ball: team of two, worst score on each hole counts. Makes for very interesting strategy. mate and I had 34 points in one of these and we won convincingly by 4 strokes. our combined score off the bat was +3 and we were both on 5 hcap.

AndyP
12th July 2006, 09:44 AM
Multiplier stableford: team of two, multiply your stableford points each hole. eg 2 x 3 = 6.
When I played this one, it was called tiger stableford, I think.

One thing about some of these formats is that you don't have any idea about whether you have had a good score or not.

FG, nice choke in the flag event. Did you consider hitting a couple of 7Is to get past it instead?

Courty
12th July 2006, 09:59 AM
I've played an Irish Four-ball event at Cairns GC where it is 4BBestB stableford for 6 holes, 4BWorstB stableford for 6 holes and something else (can't remember) for the other 6. A lot of people get caught out because it was a shotgun start, but the scoring format is tied to specific holes, not just the first 6 played. A bit of a novelty event though, usually reserved for the mixed Sunday comps.

markTHEblake
12th July 2006, 10:27 AM
We play flag - good fun. Last time we played it the flag for A grade was about 150 mtrs down the 18th fairway

shouldnt the flag only start on the first (19th) hole?

AndyP
12th July 2006, 10:42 AM
shouldnt the flag only start on the first (19th) hole?
Not if noone was able to break their handicap.

Choppa
12th July 2006, 11:58 AM
Played at Devil Bend week before last and they had preferred lies through the green. That was like the rope game- you could move the ball six inches where ever ( not on the green). Helped a lot!!!!

That's how Nambour plays every time I am there.

MAZA68
13th December 2015, 09:34 AM
Played a format yesterday I've never played before, think it is called a Shambles?

All players hit a tee shot, you choose the best tee shot and then all players play from that spot with their own ball and complete the hole. Scoring was best two stableford scores on the hole.

The team managed a prize with 99 points, the best score being 114 points. Must say it was a different game playing with low markers, that hit it a mile and hitting pitches onto greens that I would usually hit full clubs into.

sms316
13th December 2015, 09:46 AM
Played a format yesterday I've never played before, think it is called a Shambles? All players hit a tee shot, you choose the best tee shot and then all players play from that spot with their own ball and complete the hole. Scoring was best two stableford scores on the hole. The team managed a prize with 99 points, the best score being 114 points. Must say it was a different game playing with low markers, that hit it a mile and hitting pitches onto greens that I would usually hit full clubs into. It sounds shithouse

Lagerlover
13th December 2015, 10:00 AM
Isn't that Texas scramble?

goughy
13th December 2015, 10:11 AM
It sounds shithouse

So how often do people find their clubs playing these alternate formats?

I remember when I was a member years ago looking through the calendar of events at my club to see if there was something different to try, and there were very few alternate scoring events to play. I think usually they were the odd 2 man ambrose, and that one where you alternate shots over a 36 hole round.

And I agree with you sms, don't like the sound of that one.

Lagerlover
13th December 2015, 10:15 AM
We played it with an absolute gun. Very enjoyable day.

3Puttpete
13th December 2015, 12:37 PM
Played a format yesterday I've never played before, think it is called a Shambles?

All players hit a tee shot, you choose the best tee shot and then all players play from that spot with their own ball and complete the hole. Scoring was best two stableford scores on the hole.

The team managed a prize with 99 points, the best score being 114 points. Must say it was a different game playing with low markers, that hit it a mile and hitting pitches onto greens that I would usually hit full clubs into.

When we did it we all played our own ball on par 3s and minimum 3 tee shots for each player on the others. It was a lot of fun

MAZA68
13th December 2015, 12:53 PM
it sounds shithouse

whatever!

MAZA68
13th December 2015, 12:54 PM

could be called that

MAZA68
13th December 2015, 12:56 PM
When we did it we all played our own ball on par 3s and minimum 3 tee shots for each player on the others. It was a lot of fun

had minimum of 4 tee shots per player but included par 3's.

olddogmike
13th December 2015, 03:14 PM
Playing strokes is the only game, I left a playing group because they only played stroke once a month, the rest of the time they played stupid games like ambrose and stapleford which drove me round the bend. Manipulating the way you calculate the score is pointless, youare still counting strokes.

Daves
13th December 2015, 05:28 PM

Texas Scramble/Ambrose, also known as Gentsomes.

Monsta
15th December 2015, 09:30 AM
We play a different game on our Clubs anniversary. (Called Lakeball)

Team of 4, Ambrose style of play with the following changes.
Teams members numbered from 1-4 (lowest to highest h/cap)
On certain holes only one player tees off, then normal ambrose to the green, then the 3 players that didnt tee off putt.
Certain holes only two tee off and other two putt,
Certain holes 3 tee off and only 1 putts.
All par 3's all players tee off and all putt (for nearest the pin prizes)
The order fo play is predetermined (same format every year) and supplied on a printed card ie. Hole 1 player 2 & 3 tee, player 1 & 4 putt etc etc

It is a great fun game. Never seen it played at any other club

Jazz18
15th December 2015, 09:50 AM
We play mostly singles in conjunction with 4BBB stableford at my club. They mix it in with aggregate and a multiplier every now and then. Monthly medal is stroke of course. We have 4 man ambrose twice a year during green renovations.

Olddog, if every club played stroke for every comp round every week, you'd have the club with the slowest rounds in history and people would get very sick of it. Playing stroke every week would do my head in. After 4 weeks on the trot of stroke for club champs, I feel like I need a holiday!

PerryGroves
15th December 2015, 11:18 AM
Playing strokes is the only game, I left a playing group because they only played stroke once a month, the rest of the time they played stupid games like ambrose and stapleford which drove me round the bend. Manipulating the way you calculate the score is pointless, youare still counting strokes.

Whilst endless rounds of stableford with a donation to some punter off +30 handicap for the 4ball can get annoying, I would quit golf if it was stroke every week.

I would certainly like to play more match play events on Saturdays, at least that is fun and avoids the field grinding around in 5 hours.

PeteyD
15th December 2015, 12:04 PM
Yea something to be said for the head to head format the yanks play a lot of. Would like to play more match play.

3Puttpete
15th December 2015, 12:08 PM
Playing strokes is the only game, I left a playing group because they only played stroke once a month

Am I right in guessing this was a social group and not a club?

olddogmike
15th December 2015, 12:52 PM
Am I right in guessing this was a social group and not a club? Yes that's correct

3Puttpete
15th December 2015, 12:58 PM
Fair enough. You might want to avoid golf clubs then.

LeftyHoges
15th December 2015, 02:25 PM

This was the exact format I played on Saturday with a 6, 23 and 24 marker. Had 3 birdies for the day and they were the only times I was on the card. A scratch marker is essentially useless in this format.

3Puttpete
15th December 2015, 02:42 PM
This was the exact format I played on Saturday with a 6, 23 and 24 marker. Had 3 birdies for the day and they were the only times I was on the card. A scratch marker is essentially useless in this format.

For his handicap yes, but if he hits fairways 80 or 100m further up than the 23 and 24 cappers, he is gold

LeftyHoges
15th December 2015, 03:07 PM
For his handicap yes, but if he hits fairways 80 or 100m further up than the 23 and 24 cappers, he is gold 4 times for the day.

Fixed.

3Puttpete
15th December 2015, 03:17 PM
[emoji2]

LeftyHoges
15th December 2015, 04:14 PM
For his handicap yes, but if he hits fairways 80 or 100m further up than the 23 and 24 cappers, he is gold

Fixed.

Actually, that's not true now that I think about it. We did take 5 of my drives and the required 3 of the others.

3Puttpete
15th December 2015, 04:28 PM
Actually, that's not true now that I think about it. We did take 5 of my drives and the required 3 of the others.

Yeah, 4 par 3s, 9 others but your point was valid.

It's a good example of why some enjoy the format more than others. I was happy only using 3 of mine because it meant I got to play from closer to the hole than usual.

The longest in the group on the other hand...

Lagerlover
15th December 2015, 04:55 PM
The longest in the group on the other hand...

Don't feel bad for me... it was just good that you three could come along.

3Puttpete
15th December 2015, 05:35 PM
Don't feel bad for me... it was just good that you three could come along.

About the only contribution you made all day was bringing your mate