PDA

View Full Version : My first golf instruction book purchase - nirvana!

goughy
4th July 2006, 07:07 AM
I have finally bought a golf book. I read a story in a golf digest about an old instrucor named john jacobs. Many teaching pro's follow his guidlines, but the story about him grabbed me as well as the basics of his theories. So I ordered the book.

Self diagnosis is not my strong point. Usually I need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong as I just don't feel it in my swing.

Anyway, his theory is that you can identify what you are doing wrong at impact by watching the ball flight. It should give you the answer. Obviously he goes into other things like stance, grip etc. But after only the brief flick thu I gave it last night it seems great and right on the money for me. I can see my ballflight patterns and what causes the faults makes sense to me and the fix makes sense to me.

I had a very quick look at the section on putting and I can see stan utley's methods in Jacobs teachings. In general, all swings are an arc. You don't swing straight, and full swings aren't in to out (often told as the correct path) but are an arc.

I shall read more indepth and hopefully will be able to take it on board. It seems to be written in a manner I can understand.

I think Hank Haney is one who follows these methods. Tiger mentioning that he now watch's his ballflight and can instantly tell what he is doing wrong is a hint at this.

Itis called 'Practical Golf' by John Jacobs with Ken Bowden and was originally published in 1972!! It's old, but seems relevant. I've even seen mention of the tension caused by resistance etc, which seems to be the thing these days, as opposed to the all things moving swings of the past.

Flowergirl
4th July 2006, 07:31 AM
My pro is trying to teach me to analyse my swing by watching the ball flight - and my divots. I don't fully get it - and we are working on it. I was hitting so bad last week and I went on the practise range to figure it out. It took me a while - but I was able to figure out what the problem was. I was falling back off the ball at impact causing the ball to run very low. Probably completely the wrong analyses but hey I started hitting it better.

Like to hear more about the putting theory Goughy.

AndyP
4th July 2006, 11:32 AM
Are you going to have the time to work on this stuff though, Goughy?

goughy
4th July 2006, 08:53 PM
I'll update more or review it if I get time to read it.

Amd with the hours I'm pulling I'll be as old as john jacobs (about 90) by the time I get to try it all, but damn I'll have a nice swing.

jimandr
4th July 2006, 11:03 PM
I've got the John Jacobs book titled "Golf Doctor", which is purported to be a suggested diagnosis and cure for most typical golfing faults.

His primary message is that the swing should be 'in to in', with the clubface reaching square at impact. He places an enormous emphasis on the grip as the way to influence the swing plane.

If you properly try it, be prepared to hit lots of snap hooks, as it depends a lot on getting the timing right.

It also totally discounts the possibility that you might sway your body, or vary your swing plane during the swing. As these are some of my greatest faults, it didn't work for me.

Like all other golf swing theories, it is a theory that will work for some people, but not for others.

goughy
4th July 2006, 11:22 PM
I already snap hook, so it should be cool for me. Thanks for the heads up.

Matt 3 Jab
9th July 2006, 11:23 AM
There are only 2 things in the golf swing that effect the shot.
#1 club face angle
#2 club path
thats all i work on, the flight will tell you which you need to correct, worked for me as a basic thorey anyway.

goughy
9th July 2006, 03:12 PM
That's one of the basics of this book.

Matt 3 Jab
9th July 2006, 04:38 PM
Must be a good book then ;)

jaster
11th July 2006, 12:12 PM
2 scariests things in golf

1. Instruction books

2. A golfer armed with an instruction book :p

Sorry goughster but it's true ;) Pick me up next time you are at the range...I'll fix you in 10secs mate.

goughy
11th July 2006, 06:56 PM
Don't panic mate. I'm not trying to deconstruct anything. Just read about him and liked what I read, and what he had to say. It's nothing too weird.

And when do I go to the range. I'm the guy not playing golf who buys instructions books. Makes lots of sense eh :smt119

dougkpga
1st January 2008, 09:44 AM
Just found this thread as related to my post about buying stuff on the internet.

Besides I think it's great to dig these threads up and find out the results when someone works on something.

Just my short opinion. The ball flight laws are important and a basis for the PGA Teaching Manual (USA but used by PGA Academy of Golf) written by Gary Wiren. a

As discussed in other threads, width or space is important as well. This is why coming from the inside without space or width and trying to square the clubface up can lead to snap hooks.

How is it going Goughy? Still working on these things?

goughy
1st January 2008, 09:56 AM
The most work I do on my golf is the walking ;) And lately I've been riding in carts!!! :)

I do use a reverse overlap grip now though!