PDA

View Full Version : MGI buggy problems

Michae
8th September 2017, 07:15 PM
I have the latest MGI Quad Gyro remote control buggy and it is horrible. They have upgraded the battery but unfortunately the speed control software cannot cope. Each press of the remote delivers an overly sensitive change in speed. I now have a buggy that is either going too quickly or too slowly when walking with it. MGI reckons there's no problem, even though they admit there is an "issue". So which company offers a better alternative....and better after-sales service?

davepuppies
8th September 2017, 07:48 PM
I have the same MGI quad gyro with remote and love it.

It performs very well!

In a perfect world, there would be a speed "in between" the 2 closest settings to my walking pace, as one goes a little slow, the other a little fast, however i just regulate it as i go...... start of fast, then slow down as i approach my ball.

mrbluu
8th September 2017, 08:05 PM

It performs very well!

In a perfect world, there would be a speed "in between" the 2 closest settings to my walking pace, as one goes a little slow, the other a little fast, however i just regulate it as i go...... start of fast, then slow down as i approach my ball.I thought u would start slow and finish fast [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

3Puttpete
8th September 2017, 08:26 PM

It performs very well!

In a perfect world, there would be a speed "in between" the 2 closest settings to my walking pace, as one goes a little slow, the other a little fast, however i just regulate it as i go...... start of fast, then slow down as i approach my ball.This. Exactly this.

TS
8th September 2017, 09:03 PM
I have the same MGI quad gyro with remote and love it as well.

I just let it get ahead of me and stop it when it gets near my ball.

Johnny Canuck
9th September 2017, 12:53 PM
I have the same MGI quad gyro with remote and love it as well.

I just let it get ahead of me and stop it when it gets near my ball.

That's exactly what I do. Get it in front of everyone and let it go.

Jazz18
10th September 2017, 04:36 PM
Agree with all the replies above. I have a Navigator quad giro and love. I haven't had an issue with MGI after sales service. They are excellent to deal with. Would only buy another brand if MGI didn't have something I wanted in an electric buggy.

tgamez
26th November 2020, 04:44 PM
I have had my MGI zip navigator for approximately one year. It has been reliable and perfect until today. It's suddenly and abruptly took off on its own without any instruction from my remote. It travelled approximately 200 yards at full speed and came to a stop. The remote no longer works. The LCD is Frozen. I cannot find a reset and the battery is fine. I've had no damage to it and have taken very good care of it. This appears to be a software glitch. Perhaps there is a firmware update that is needed.

simmsy
26th November 2020, 05:17 PM
wrty.

Daves
30th November 2020, 04:57 PM
Good luck with Warranty with MGI. My Remote Belt Clip broke again today. This is the third time in 18 months. So I got onto their Support via their Messenger box. I have been told (Guy) that is must be through misuse and they won't replace, I have to buy the spare part. Also tried to tell me that the buggy would not take off if you lock the Remote, I wish!

Johnny Canuck
30th November 2020, 05:37 PM
Simmsy and I had an experience recently where both of our Navigators lost the ability to turn for a short period of time. You could start/stop, increase/decrease speed, but no turning whatsoever.

It rectified itself a few minutes later.

damoocow
30th November 2020, 06:59 PM
Good luck with Warranty with MGI. My Remote Belt Clip broke again today. This is the third time in 18 months. So I got onto their Support via their Messenger box. I have been told (Guy) that is must be through misuse and they won't replace, I have to buy the spare part. Also tried to tell me that the buggy would not take off if you lock the Remote, I wish!

Did you buy it from a physical store Dave?

Daves
30th November 2020, 07:51 PM
Did you buy it from a physical store Dave?

No, I bought it online (eBay).

damoocow
1st December 2020, 11:12 AM
No, I bought it online (eBay).

Was mgi the online seller?

Daves
1st December 2020, 12:04 PM
Was mgi the online seller?

Not as far as I am aware , but I believe the seller (Top Sports) is an authorised dealer as it shipped direct from MGI. We have a sort of resolution. The National Service Manager is shipping me a used one, and I have bought a spare, because breaking again is inevitable and it is a PITA when it does. I was irked when he accused me of misuse. Over use maybe, I am not the average owner in terms of frequency of use, lets face it. But the clip design is fundamentally flawed in my view, and it will break eventually for most users, I suspect.

I bought mine late April 2019 and have now done over 1600kms with it. That is 200+ rounds, an average of about 3 a week with it. The clip is the only thing that has broken so far, though a few parts don't work as well as they should, and it does do some quirky stuff at times, as Johnny C mentioned. But they are minor in the scheme of things and you put up with them. So the Navigator has been pretty reliable so far, if less than perfect in its design. It tipped over again on me yesterday for the umpteenth time. It only take a minor depression or uneven surface and it will power itself over. A combination of too short a wheelbase and track, no suspension, and too powerful a motor.

ruud
1st December 2020, 01:41 PM
My Navi started to move on its on when it was near someones mgi. The frequency was interrupted and only this particular person. When i walked near his buggy about 100m out even my mgi started to move on its own.

Johnny Canuck
1st December 2020, 04:32 PM
My Navi started to move on its on when it was near someones mgi. The frequency was interrupted and only this particular person. When i walked near his buggy about 100m out even my mgi started to move on its own.

Simmsy had this happen to his a few years ago.

Parked it greenside, at the top of a bunker with the remote in the cradle.

Nek minnit, upside down in the bunker. Another nearby frequency must have set it off.

ruud
3rd January 2021, 08:19 AM
MGI Navi had the same frequency as another guys Navi. Happened again last week. He was a few holes in front of me so whenever we were closeby, his remote would control my buggy and vice versa. I was moving it and he was wondering why his buggy was going forward. Was a pain! I didn’t get close enough to talk to him. Will call mgi to see what can be done.

BUSHY
3rd January 2021, 01:09 PM
Simmsy and I had an experience recently where both of our Navigators lost the ability to turn for a short period of time. You could start/stop, increase/decrease speed, but no turning whatsoever.

It rectified itself a few minutes later.

This happened to my Quad AT during a couple of rounds over the Xmas break. The other thing it did maybe 2-3 times was just stop as if it lost the signal from the remote.

LeftyHoges
24th January 2021, 10:29 PM
I can top everyone in this thread. Amateurs.

:lol:

grandmasterb
25th January 2021, 10:42 AM
I'm onto my third gearbox in my Zip Navigator due to the "bad batch" they received 12+ months ago. My charger also just stopped working one day, the remote clip on the buggy and bag strap were broken when removed from the box brand new (nearly 2 years ago) and I'm STILL waiting on replacements from MGI...

Great buggy and makes life so much easier to play golf especially in the 36 hole comps but MGI's lack of customer service is appalling and turns me off buying any of their products again!!!

WBennett
25th January 2021, 10:53 AM

This needs a picture

kennyj
25th January 2021, 11:37 AM
So I have had a MGI Navi Quad now for just on 3 years. Just before Christmas it just stopped working, by this got it out of the car and was operational all the way through the car park to the pro shop. Go in and pay come back out and nothing.
So on the 21st December straight to my local repair agent, whom goes that's fine has a 3 year warranty and we will get it fixed. It now the 25th of January and the problem they thought it was, it isn't (Flex cable from motor controller to handle).

Now bear in mind this was only received by the repairer on the 21st January.
Now chasing up this morning only to be told that the motor controller is fried and the battery shows voltage but once under load it rapid discharges. The repairer has told me looking about $800-900 to repair and its now out of warranty.
Absolutely poor warranty repair information and the MGI website only makes reference to SLA batteries having a 12 month warranty in the quad series no mention of lithium.

Not sure if I should get it fixed, pressure for and outcome or cut my loses and get a motorcaddy.

PS I'm know of at least 3 other people that have had issues with this series of them doing the same thing

markTHEblake
25th January 2021, 01:35 PM
I cant imagine anyone giving a warranty longer than 12 months on a lithium battery. And the silly thing with these, its often just one cell that fails 18650's from memory, same as in your laptops, which cost about $10 each to replace (and an arm or a leg if you are crap at soldering).

I have had the same issue with my ebike. Charges and holds voltage just fine, but put a load on it and the BMS cuts it out because of just one bad cell. But you couldnt pay anyone to fix that, they would probably ask for too much.

Johnny Canuck
25th January 2021, 06:45 PM

Not even amateurs, you’re effort is far beyond pro.

qbnchopper
3rd February 2021, 12:33 AM
I have a qbnchopper frankenstein buggy. i put all the pieces together (2 x motors and a motor controller x and arduino controller) and am presently tuning the software to come up with a good strategy for pace and change of direction according to pace .... its been a bit of hit and miss with testing on multiple surfaces and slopes - I'm arriving at somewhere where you guys seems to be with teh MGI - compromise ...

Craig_Syd
18th February 2021, 09:10 PM
I just received my new Navigator AT and charging it tonight and the charger is almost too hot to touch. Is this normal?

BUSHY
18th February 2021, 09:57 PM
I just received my new Navigator AT and charging it tonight and the charger is almost too hot to touch. Is this normal?

I’ll say yeah.

Mine is pretty Hot

BUSHY
18th February 2021, 09:59 PM
BUT you have to be realistic, hand hot ain’t lava hot and electronics are hot so make a call.

Craig_Syd
18th February 2021, 10:16 PM
I’ll say yeah. Mine is pretty Hot Thanks....

Sydney Hacker
19th February 2021, 05:31 AM

I saw a hack for the remote clip at the club last week, one guy had his break twice and in the end he has replaced it with the belt clip off a tape measure. He broke 2 in a short time frame and hasn’t had a problem since doing the tape measure thing.

Daves
19th February 2021, 02:22 PM

My charger gets warm, but not hot. I can comfortably hold it in my hand. The Battery never shows any heat though

I saw a hack for the remote clip at the club last week, one guy had his break twice and in the end he has replaced it with the belt clip off a tape measure. He broke 2 in a short time frame and hasn’t had a problem since doing the tape measure thing.

I will file that one till I need it. I have some aluminum strip that I thought I might be able to fashion one of out. But the Tape Measure clip sounds better.

LeftyHoges
20th February 2021, 12:31 AM
Also tried to tell me that the buggy would not take off if you lock the Remote, I wish!

I wish too.... [emoji1]

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

markTHEblake
21st February 2021, 11:11 PM
I have a non remote one.... and i put it in the drink couple weeks ago. Thanks to summer rain some long grass saved it from drowning.

markTHEblake
14th March 2021, 08:17 PM
I am finding the umbrella holder on the MGI is useless because its got 2 adjustment section and all plastic so it sways uncontrollably at times, that I have an oversize and longer umbrella probably doesnt help. If i dont hold the umbrella shaft while walking it might even tip everything over and that mount wont last. its probably ok in no wind and very smooth ground.

In comparison the Clicgear 3 umbrella holder is amazingly rigid, anyone come up with any bright ideas how to stabilise this MGI one?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0046/7419/1432/products/Umbrella_Holder_1024x1024.jpg?v=1556855257

BUSHY
14th March 2021, 08:46 PM
I am finding the umbrella holder on the MGI is useless because its got 2 adjustment section and all plastic so it sways uncontrollably at times, that I have an oversize and longer umbrella probably doesnt help. If i dont hold the umbrella shaft while walking it might even tip everything over and that mount wont last. its probably ok in no wind and very smooth ground.

In comparison the Clicgear 3 umbrella holder is amazingly rigid, anyone come up with any bright ideas how to stabilise this MGI one?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0046/7419/1432/products/Umbrella_Holder_1024x1024.jpg?v=1556855257

Upgrade to the new MGI, the umbrella holder on it is awesome [emoji41]

markTHEblake
15th March 2021, 11:23 PM
Yeah I could do that, but mum gave me this MGI, so I wont give it up yet.
Do you think the new Umbrella holder would be backwards compatible?

BUSHY
16th March 2021, 08:41 PM
Yeah I could do that, but mum gave me this MGI, so I wont give it up yet.
Do you think the new Umbrella holder would be backwards compatible?

Possibly. The difference is it doesn’t have the articulation of that double joint. It’s just straight into the handle. I use it with the extender- essentially double height- and it’s perfectly fine.

BUSHY
16th March 2021, 08:43 PM
I’d take a photo but it’s in the locker at the club.

Daves
27th January 2022, 01:13 PM
After over 2.5 years and 2100+klms I posted a review of my Zip Navigator to the MGI site. Nothing happened. Then I got an invite from MGI to complete a review as part of a marketing campaign contest. So I posted basically the same review again. And again nothing. So I posted it one more time 6 weeks ago and guess what! No contact or message, nothing. Maybe it was because I rated it 3 out 5. There is nothing worse than a 4 on their review links. Wonder why?. None of this surprises me after my dealings with MGI Management.

Johnny Canuck
27th January 2022, 01:32 PM
After over 2.5 years and 2100+klms I posted a review of my Zip Navigator to the MGI site. Nothing happened. Then I got an invite from MGI to complete a review as part of a marketing campaign contest. So I posted basically the same review again. And again nothing. So I posted it one more time 6 weeks ago and guess what! No contact or message, nothing. Maybe it was because I rated it 3 out 5. There is nothing worse than a 4 on their review links. Wonder why?. None of this surprises me after my dealings with MGI Management.

I used to work at a club shop back home that managed all of their “reviews” in this manner. The owner would have to approve everything that made it to the site. He actually got called out on it a few times.

To this day, I don’t buy into reading reviews on the actual sites. I always go to Amazon or something of that nature to get “true” feedback.

LeftyHoges
27th January 2022, 01:39 PM
After over 2.5 years and 2100+klms I posted a review of my Zip Navigator to the MGI site. Nothing happened. Then I got an invite from MGI to complete a review as part of a marketing campaign contest. So I posted basically the same review again. And again nothing. So I posted it one more time 6 weeks ago and guess what! No contact or message, nothing. Maybe it was because I rated it 3 out 5. There is nothing worse than a 4 on their review links. Wonder why?. None of this surprises me after my dealings with MGI Management.Not surprising at all. They couldn't give two flying ****s that their malfunctioning product left me $2k out of pocket, PLUS the now defunct buggy.

Money-hungry pricks, with no care for their customers.

****s can **** off and die in a fire.

Daves
27th January 2022, 01:42 PM
Not surprising at all. They couldn't give two flying ****s that their malfunctioning product left me $2k out of pocket, PLUS the now defunct buggy.

Money-hungry pricks, with no care for their customers.

****s can **** off and die in a fire.

That does not surprise me at all. Let me guess; "Remote Malfunctioned"? or it "Tipped over" at the wrong spot.

LeftyHoges
27th January 2022, 01:47 PM
That does not surprise me at all. Let me guess; "Remote Malfunctioned"? or it "Tipped over" at the wrong spot.You could say the remote malfunctioned, yes.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/0cf886399a0e6f8f859bc17b28ef69b0.jpg

Daves
27th January 2022, 01:48 PM
This is my review by the way. Which I will now start posting on "Independent Review" sites;

I have used my Zip Navigator now for just over 2.5 Years (May 2019), 200+ rounds and 2100+ kms. So I have got to know it pretty well. I initially bought it because I was playing multiple courses and end of round fatigue was becoming an issue on some of the tougher walking courses. And the Navigator does help with reducing this fatigue. But I am using it less now because it also has some annoying traits/faults that diminish the experience.
Firstly, its good points;

- The battery is very good, it charges quickly and would probably last 3 round easily. Though I recharge after each round, as recommended by MGI. The Remote Battery also charges quickly.
- It is relatively compact, though I still need to take a wheel off to fit it in my boot with my Clubs.
- It has been reliable.
- It definitely helps to reduce Fatigue, especially towards the end of a round. Stress, often not so much!

Now my issues;
- It tips itself over way too easily and too often. IMO the Wheel Base and the Track are too short, and the front wheels are too small and close together to give proper stability. Add to that motors that are too powerful at times and wheels that lose traction too easily and it will kick itself over when it gets off balance. The AT has a better front wheel set up, but those wheels should also be on the Navigator (as they were on the prior Quad model).
- The Wheels don’t have good traction. Any moisture and they will spin on the slightest inclines, even greened up grass will defeat them at times. When this happens, the brake steering goes awry and the buggy will bog and often turn in the opposite direction to the input. This does not help at all for the above-mentioned stability problem, because wheel spin is quite often the start of instability and a tip over. In addition the Wheels Squeak and Squawk whenever they get wet.
- The Buggy wheelstands on just about any upslope. It takes only a small change in gradient for the wheelstanding to start, which then causes instability (with the front wheels off the ground). The dolly wheel helps, but it is too short and by the time it catches the flip back it can be too late.
- I find I cannot trust the Remote. The buggy has taken off so many times without any input, after I thought it had been parked and locked. I have had to pull it out of bunkers too many times. Thankfully, not out of water so far, touch wood! (I know others that have!). I now leave the remote in the cradle after I lock it, as it cannot be trusted on the belt clip, or in a pocket.
- The Remote Belt Clip has broken 3 times. It happened about ever 6 months. The design has an obvious weak point. It hasn’t broken since I stopped using the belt clip, but then what is its purpose if you can’t trust/use it?
- The Remote Buttons wear out, which is understandable I guess, but after spending $200 on a new remote, I discovered you could just replace the skin for $15. The skin is now listed on the website, but wasn’t when I needed it.
- It went through a long period where the buggy would just stop without input. Often just in front of me as I walked behind. It may have been related to the old (original) Remote as it has not done so since I got the new Remote.
- Despite the Gyro system I find I have to continually correct the direction. It wants to go right all the time. I reset the Gyro system regularly, but that only offers a temporary fix. The Remote left button is the first to wear out for this reason. My new one is already well worn after only a couple of months.
- The buggy has no suspension and it shakes the bag and clubs quite violently at times. Clubs need to have Headcovers to prevent damage. It has even thrown off Headcover at times, such is the violence of the shaking. The buggy bounces about on anything less than perfectly smooth terrain and it will bounce itself off balance if it hits a small hole, tree root, rock etc.
- The Scorecard Holder constantly rattles, even when it is empty.
- The option Seat is another rattler. And balls in the seat pocket end up covered in felt dust, such is the amount of shaking they endure.
- When I first got the Navigator the battery was a loose fit and it started to wear against the plate it fits too. I ended up packing the wear area with some cloth tape and this has fixed the problem. I gather from other owners this is a common fit problem.

Daves
27th January 2022, 01:50 PM
Almost happened to me a number of times. See my review. My new remote doesn't seem as bad as the original one, but I am not trusting it one iota! I carry my Wallet etc in a Waterproof bag for just this reason!

You could say the remote malfunctioned, yes.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/0cf886399a0e6f8f859bc17b28ef69b0.jpg

markTHEblake
27th January 2022, 02:12 PM
As a distributor they might palm off all customer service to the resellers, thats very normal.

But then why have a wesite and review systems.

I sent em an email ages ago.... no reply.

Steve57
27th January 2022, 02:17 PM
You could say the remote malfunctioned, yes.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/0cf886399a0e6f8f859bc17b28ef69b0.jpg

That's not the lake with the croc in it I hope?

LeftyHoges
27th January 2022, 02:18 PM
That's not the lake with the croc in it I hope?No Crocs at Cairns GC, bud.

Had that happened in Port Douglas I wouldn't have been in there.

Steve57
27th January 2022, 02:21 PM
No Crocs at Cairns GC, bud.

Had that happened in Port Douglas I wouldn't have been in there.

Daves
27th January 2022, 02:29 PM
As a distributor they might palm off all customer service to the resellers, thats very normal.

But then why have a wesite and review systems.

I sent em an email ages ago.... no reply.

They are the Manufacturers. Buck stops there as far as I am aware.

3Puttpete
27th January 2022, 02:35 PM
That's not the lake with the croc in it I hope?

Not croc lake.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/1db27f486c8314083a411f356132c631.png

BUSHY
28th January 2022, 07:31 PM

Bahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Johnny Canuck
28th January 2022, 09:40 PM
Best photo ever.

markTHEblake
30th January 2022, 01:01 PM
Best photo ever. Thought solarman doing a shit on Hayseys ute tray was the best photo ever

Daves
1st September 2022, 12:16 PM
My Navigator is now a touch over 3 years old and starting to wear out in places. It has done around 300 rounds/2700kms so far.

The new remote I bought a year ago is starting to play up. The Forward key has become "sticky" . I have pulled it apart and cleaned it, but it made no difference. The Keypad Skin looks to be the problem, so I will probably order a new one.

I have just given the Navigator a clean up an noticed how chopped out the Wheel Hubs are. The locking slots are probably double their original size now. And the tread is 2/3rds gone as well and starting to shed. So some new wheels will be needed. Has anyone bought the AT Wheels? I was told by MGI they are the same as the standard Navigator (the pattern looks to be the same) but they list them separately (same price). The Hub looks a bit different in the website photos. The traction of the stock wheels is very poor. It has never been good, but I was on the slightest of grades (less than 2%) on wet grass the other day, and even whilst wheel standing (one of its worst habits!) with all the weight on and over the back wheels it was just spinning and going nowhere.

I have heard stories of rear axles wearing out prematurely. Mine are still serviceable, but there is definitely noticeable wear.

One of the bottom strap clips has broken. It will still hold when on, but keeps falling off when not in use.

The holding block that fits on the worm thread on the Umbrella Extension has disappeared. I had lost it once before, but by luck found one on the golf course a few weeks later and refitted it. Not sure if you can just buy the block piece? Perhaps I can cut a piece of timber or similar to size? PITA because a replacement extension is $37 plus P & H. For something that is only usable in light winds anyway.

The Battery Fit Pads I installed (Cloth Tape) to tighten up the fit are looking pretty worn so I will install some new tape.

markTHEblake
1st September 2022, 12:22 PM
Gee.... whats the warranty on these suckers?

Daves
1st September 2022, 12:36 PM
Gee.... whats the warranty on these suckers?

Their standard International Warranty is 2 years. They extend it to 3 years in Oz if you register your buggy online with them within a month of purchase. Note, I don't recall them ever acknowledging the registration though, so might be an interesting point of conversation if it came to it. The biggest issue I see in online complaints, and in my own experience, is the demarcation between what they are willing to warrant and what they fob off as natural wear and tear, or incorrect use.

Johnny Canuck
2nd September 2022, 02:44 AM
My Navigator is now a touch over 3 years old and starting to wear out in places. It has done around 300 rounds/2700kms so far.

The new remote I bought a year ago is starting to play up. The Forward key has become "sticky" . I have pulled it apart and cleaned it, but it made no difference. The Keypad Skin looks to be the problem, so I will probably order a new one.

I have just given the Navigator a clean up an noticed how chopped out the Wheel Hubs are. The locking slots are probably double their original size now. And the tread is 2/3rds gone as well and starting to shed. So some new wheels will be needed. Has anyone bought the AT Wheels? I was told by MGI they are the same as the standard Navigator (the pattern looks to be the same) but they list them separately (same price). The Hub looks a bit different in the website photos. The traction of the stock wheels is very poor. It has never been good, but I was on the slightest of grades (less than 2%) on wet grass the other day, and even whilst wheel standing (one of its worst habits!) with all the weight on and over the back wheels it was just spinning and going nowhere.

I have heard stories of rear axles wearing out prematurely. Mine are still serviceable, but there is definitely noticeable wear.

One of the bottom strap clips has broken. It will still hold when on, but keeps falling off when not in use.

The holding block that fits on the worm thread on the Umbrella Extension has disappeared. I had lost it once before, but by luck found one on the golf course a few weeks later and refitted it. Not sure if you can just buy the block piece? Perhaps I can cut a piece of timber or similar to size? PITA because a replacement extension is $37 plus P & H. For something that is only usable in light winds anyway.

The Battery Fit Pads I installed (Cloth Tape) to tighten up the fit are looking pretty worn so I will install some new tape.

I recently replaced my original wheels after about 7 years with these. They are great compared to the originals.

https://www.hillsidebuggies.com.au/product/mgi-quad-winter-wheel-black/

Daves
2nd September 2022, 07:13 AM
I recently replaced my original wheels after about 7 years with these. They are great compared to the originals.

https://www.hillsidebuggies.com.au/product/mgi-quad-winter-wheel-black/

Thanks JC. Do these fit the Zip Navigator then?

Johnny Canuck
2nd September 2022, 08:36 AM
Thanks JC. Do these fit the Zip Navigator then?

The description says Quad Coaster and Navigator, so I’d guess they would. I have the older G800 navigator and they were fine.

Daves
2nd September 2022, 10:19 AM
The description says Quad Coaster and Navigator, so I’d guess they would. I have the older G800 navigator and they were fine.

Thanks JC. I looked up the MGI site parts section and they say that the Axle sizes changed in 2018 (from 12.7mm to 15mm) and they are not interchangeable,unfortunately. They need to make a "Winter" type wheel for the Zips because the standard/AT Wheels are shite tread wise.

markTHEblake
2nd September 2022, 10:49 AM
The more i read this the less inclined I am to buy a electric buggy.

Daves
2nd September 2022, 11:15 AM

There are better, cheaper options. I find the MGI Navigator over engineered on features, but under engineered on practicality and function. Its stability is terrible, and the Remote untrustworthy. Why they went away from the Quad style front wheels beats me?. Ironically, they put them back on the AT model and charge extra for the "privilege"!

I play with a number of Electric Buggy users and the feedback and my observations tells me you should consider the QOD and Alphard. They are half the price and better designed imo, and the QOD is Australian designed and made.

https://www.qodgolf.com.au/

https://alphardgolf.com.au/

Johnny Canuck
2nd September 2022, 11:19 AM
Thanks JC. I looked up the MGI site parts section and they say that the Axle sizes changed in 2018 (from 12.7mm to 15mm) and they are not interchangeable,unfortunately. They need to make a "Winter" type wheel for the Zips because the standard/AT Wheels are shite tread wise.

Sounds like you need these: https://www.hillsidebuggies.com.au/product/mgi-zip-navigator-at-wheel-15mm/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsMGYBhAEEiwAGUXJaZ_QoM29eQwhQiKK0-NR-U_mmwPEfK4EIy61iPH9ZdNsr1dLs8iUtxoCYEoQAvD_BwE

Which I see are naturally out of stock.

Hillside was great to deal with. Free shipping too.

markTHEblake
2nd September 2022, 12:15 PM
Thanks Dave. I do have one eye out for the Alphard, whenever my old MGI mum gave me gives up, or the www.kingcaddy.com.au

For the price of some of those MGI's i would go for the skateboard, www.golfskatecaddy.com.au which is also an Australian product, and local to SEQ. My old pennant mate is the GM, and its much cheaper than the one similar alternative. But yes.... i also prefer to walk.

Daves
2nd September 2022, 02:31 PM
Sounds like you need these: https://www.hillsidebuggies.com.au/product/mgi-zip-navigator-at-wheel-15mm/?gclid=CjwKCAjwsMGYBhAEEiwAGUXJaZ_QoM29eQwhQiKK0-NR-U_mmwPEfK4EIy61iPH9ZdNsr1dLs8iUtxoCYEoQAvD_BwE

Which I see are naturally out of stock.

Hillside was great to deal with. Free shipping too.

That is a shame. I would prefer to buy via them rather than deal direct with MGI.

MGI support continue to be less than helpful. I messaged them about what wheels fit my cart;

David
the only wheels that are suitable for you zip nav are listed below in the email, you purchase these from the MGI website.

(https://mgigolf.com/collections/spare-parts/wheel)https://mgigolf.com/collections/spare-parts/wheel+zip-nav
(https://mgigolf.com/collections/spare-parts/wheel)
So I then asked them if there was any difference other than Cosmetics;

HI David
The wheels in the photo are the only wheels that are combatable with your buggy.

Sigh.....

Johnny Canuck
2nd September 2022, 03:03 PM
That is a shame. I would prefer to buy via them rather than deal direct with MGI.

MGI support continue to be less than helpful. I messaged them about what wheels fit my cart;

(https://mgigolf.com/collections/spare-parts/wheel)
So I then asked them if there was any difference other than Cosmetics;

Sigh.....

Hopefully they get stock soon. My only regret with the new wheels was that I didn't get them sooner.

WBennett
2nd September 2022, 04:34 PM
Thanks Dave. I do have one eye out for the Alphard, whenever my old MGI mum gave me gives up, or the www.kingcaddy.com.auFor the price of some of those MGI's i would go for the skateboard, www.golfskatecaddy.com.au which is also an Australian product, and local to SEQ. My old pennant mate is the GM, and its much cheaper than the one similar alternative. But yes.... i also prefer to walk. My golfing GP had a unicycle which he rode around the course.... Until the day he stacked and now requires a knee reconstruction

Johnny Canuck
2nd September 2022, 11:39 PM
They do have these Daves

https://www.hillsidebuggies.com.au/product/mgi-zip-navigator-wheel-15mm-axle/

Daves
3rd September 2022, 07:28 AM
They do have these Daves

https://www.hillsidebuggies.com.au/product/mgi-zip-navigator-wheel-15mm-axle/

Thanks JC. I decided to try the AT wheels, they can't be any worse. MGI had some parts I needed that Hillside didn't stock so I placed an order. I am worried how chopped out the hubs are and want to replace the ASAP.

Johnny Canuck
3rd September 2022, 12:16 PM
The AT wheels are great.

BUSHY
3rd September 2022, 03:44 PM

Still my favourite and best golf Purchase.

LeftyHoges
5th September 2022, 08:12 AM

Still my most hated and worst golf purchase.....

....and I own a Broomstick putter.

WBennett
5th September 2022, 09:26 AM

After 50km of ownership, I am starting to feel the same way

AndyP
5th September 2022, 09:35 AM
The other day, my playing partner asked why people buy these, particularly fit people. I didn't have an answer.

BUSHY
5th September 2022, 10:07 AM
The other day, my playing partner asked why people buy these, particularly fit people. I didn't have an answer.

For me it’s a few of things.

Not pushing a buggy is a big one and I find this makes the walk more enjoyable. The key is I want to walk- I hate riding in carts.

I’d suspect unless you’ve done it it would seem like a minor thing but to me it’s the key reason I love it. If you’ve ever played with a caddy you’d probably understand. It’s definitely a ‘luxury’ over a traditional cart or buggy but it is the experience that justifies it to me.

Sydney Hacker
5th September 2022, 10:55 AM
I resisted it for a long time, used a mates while away and bought one the next day.

The walk is way more enjoyable, being able to swing your arms while walking, not pushing up and down thick kik grass etc etc. never going back!

WBennett
5th September 2022, 11:06 AM

Medical reasons for mine, and better for my back.

goughy
5th September 2022, 11:36 AM
I have no doubt I'll need to use one of these, one day, if I ever play golf again! Knees and hands f'd, but I'll never be affording a golf cart. And I'd rather walk too.
I see lots of people walking their dogs holding a lead, but I use a waist attach lead. It is totally true that being able to move your arms freely while walking does make a big difference.
I figure I'm getting old enough to justify it one day.

Johnny Canuck
5th September 2022, 02:10 PM

Same here.

Performs better on land.

Johnny Canuck
5th September 2022, 02:11 PM
Medical reasons for mine, and better for my back.

I push a Clic Gear, I end up with tendonitis in both elbows.

Easy excuse to use one.

PeteyD
5th September 2022, 02:19 PM
Are the ones without a remote any good?

Johnny Canuck
5th September 2022, 02:31 PM

I think you need to go all the way and get the remote.

My remote has run out of battery a few times and it’s nowhere near as enjoyable having to hold it the majority of the time.

3Puttpete
5th September 2022, 02:53 PM

Yep.

BUSHY
5th September 2022, 05:02 PM

Yes. But as soon as you use one with a remote you quickly understand the benefits.

Daves
6th September 2022, 03:44 PM

Hips and Knees. Getting old suxs.

goughy
6th September 2022, 04:13 PM
Damn straight there, Daves!!

sms316
6th September 2022, 06:20 PM
Still my most hated and worst golf purchase.........and I own a Broomstick putter. You have serious issues that need addressing.

LeftyHoges
6th September 2022, 07:38 PM
You have serious issues that need addressing.I've never used it in anger...

Which is whenever I putt.

Daves
7th September 2022, 06:29 AM
Hips and Knees. Getting old suxs.

Damn straight there, Daves!!

I found that persevering with a push cart was just putting pressure on other areas (back and feet), as I compensated for hip and knee problems.

Daves
10th September 2022, 08:14 AM
The AT wheels are great.

Unfortunately, in the Zip series, the AT Wheels are basically the same as the Navigators. Only the colour of the spokes is different.

Daves
23rd September 2022, 02:38 PM
Unfortunately, in the Zip series, the AT Wheels are basically the same as the Navigators. Only the colour of the spokes is different.

And no better grip than the old worn wheels. The upside is the lack of drive lash on the new hubs.

Met a fellow Navigator owner during my Wednesday round. He has similar issues to I, namely can't trust remote, tips over too easy, takes off when think it is stopped/parked etc. He had unfortunately had his go into a dam. He retrieved it and rang MGI on some advice to recover/repair/dry it out. They totally wiped him and told him to scrap it as it would never be any good. He dried it out and got it going and is still using it. Albeit with a noticeable Bearing whine.

Mt latest issue is the USB charge port on the Remote I have been using has come loose. It has broken away from the circuit Board mount points. It has always been finicky about the connection, so I suspect it has always been poorly attached.

LeftyHoges
23rd September 2022, 09:17 PM
He had unfortunately had his go into a dam. He retrieved it and rang MGI on some advice to recover/repair/dry it out. They totally wiped him and told him to scrap it as it would never be any good.

Sounds eerily familiar.

markTHEblake
23rd September 2022, 11:41 PM
Electronics will often be fine if you can completely dry them out before turning on again.

And, i guess possible to claim on household insurance if silly enough to pay for cover outside the home ( its expensive)

Ferrins
27th September 2022, 06:40 AM
Got mine out of the back of the garage where it has been sitting over a year. Used it at Cooly/Tweed yesterday and worked fine.

Tongueboy
1st November 2022, 08:01 PM
If you get a flat battery during the round can you actually do anything to make it easy enough to push?

benno_r
1st November 2022, 08:15 PM
If you get a flat battery during the round can you actually do anything to make it easy enough to push?You can move the wheels out a little and off the drive pins, then they just spin freely on the axle instead of pushing against the motor.

Tongueboy
1st November 2022, 08:30 PM
You can move the wheels out a little and off the drive pins, then they just spin freely on the axle instead of pushing against the motor. Ta mate.

WBennett
1st November 2022, 08:31 PM
My battery lasts three walks to the course, 2 walks home, and 51 holes.

And it's bloody heavy to push

virge666
1st November 2022, 09:10 PM
My battery lasts three walks to the course, 2 walks home, and 51 holes.

And it's bloody heavy to push

this is true.

I am on my third MGI Navigator with the bigger battery... bit mine keeps deciding not to be able to turn right in small increments.

BUSHY
4th January 2023, 05:41 PM
I may have a problem :cry:

I played this morning without issue and when I got it out of the car at home and put the battery back on to drive it around the back the screen lit up a bit then went off.
Have tried it a couple of times and have the same thing, partially lights up the screen then goes off.

Will bang it on charge and try again later.

LeftyHoges
4th January 2023, 06:01 PM

I played this morning without issue and when I got it out of the car at home and put the battery back on to drive it around the back the screen lit up a bit then went off.
Have tried it a couple of times and have the same thing, partially lights up the screen then goes off.

I shall watch this with a very keen interest...

simmsy
4th January 2023, 06:53 PM
been driving in to lakes again?

benno_r
4th January 2023, 07:20 PM

Mine did that a couple of times after playing in the rain.

Left it a day or 2 and all good.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-J607F using Tapatalk

markTHEblake
4th January 2023, 10:05 PM
be careful

WBennett
5th January 2023, 08:58 AM

How many kms on yours?

BUSHY
8th January 2023, 03:24 PM
Mine did that a couple of times after playing in the rain.

Left it a day or 2 and all good.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-J607F using Tapatalk

Yeah I left it for a bit, wasn’t wet the last day I used it though so could’ve been residual or unrelated.

I’ve pulled the control unit out and there’s no evidence of moisture in there.

be careful

Charging the battery won’t affect the buggy.

How many kms on yours?

Lots, I’ve had it for 2.5 years probably used it 70-80 times a year?

benno_r
9th January 2023, 12:07 PM
Yeah I left it for a bit, wasn’t wet the last day I used it though so could’ve been residual or unrelated.

I’ve pulled the control unit out and there’s no evidence of moisture in there.

Still playing up now?

LeftyHoges
9th January 2023, 12:16 PM
Still playing up now?

He's borrowing a Clicgear this week, so yes. :lol:

BUSHY
14th January 2023, 06:37 PM
Still playing up now?

Sorry Mate,

I have sent it back to be looked at. Using a mates Clicgear or riding a cart till it gets back.

benno_r
14th January 2023, 09:47 PM
Sorry Mate,

I have sent it back to be looked at. Using a mates Clicgear or riding a cart till it gets back.Thats a bit if a ball ache.

Hacker1975
21st February 2024, 12:15 PM
Does anyone have a MGI G800 Navigator that you will sell parts from? I am after the motor control panel which sits under the motors. Mine has a burnt chip on the board