PDA

View Full Version : Course maintenance basics - my secret petty hate

benno_r
25th August 2017, 03:51 PM
I see this happen every time I play with others. Sometimes I will say something, sometimes I won't. Most time people don't know any better, some times people are just lazy.

1. Pitch mark repair on the green. It's not that hard to do properly. Push the sides of the patch mark into the middle.
http://i.imgur.com/pkSpxx9.jpg

2. Raking a bunker. When you rake, push them sand away from you, back into the middle. Don't keep pulling it all to the edges.

3. Rakes in bunkers. Parallel to line of play in the flats. Not that tricky.
http://i.imgur.com/3hOMGhn.jpg

3Puttpete
25th August 2017, 04:09 PM
I thought the R and A recommended rakes outside bunkers

Lagerlover
25th August 2017, 04:31 PM
I thought the R and A recommended rakes outside bunkers You'd be making even MORE trips in and out of bunkers..

3Puttpete
25th August 2017, 04:38 PM
You'd be making even MORE trips in and out of bunkers..

I make very few trips out of bunkers

Lagerlover
25th August 2017, 04:40 PM
Let's just say the latest $35 bunker levy had nothing to do with recent flood damage

benno_r
25th August 2017, 04:45 PM
I thought the R and A recommended rakes outside bunkers

Maybe for their fancy high-falutin championship courses. It's heavy enough carrying our broomstick putters all over the joint here in country Queensland, let alone bunker rakes.

wazandnic
25th August 2017, 04:58 PM
Bunkers don't worry me too much apart from badly or non raked foot prints... but pitch marks are a massive pet hate of mine.

Pitch marks that are lifted in the centre like the one on the right, creating a big dirt patch.... I cringe when I see that!

I spent about 2 days repairing pitch marks on an 18hole par 3 golf course when doing work experience as a green keeper in year 10 at school. Everyone should be made to do that before being allowed on a course! 8)

okitoki
25th August 2017, 05:01 PM
I have to admit I was guilty of the plug repair of pushing up with the prong instead of inward... until the current club captain showed me the proper way during my induction...

Lagerlover
25th August 2017, 05:08 PM
Bunkers don't worry me too much apart from badly or non raked foot prints... but divots are a massive pet hate of mine.
The divots that are lifted in the centre like the one on the right, creating a big dirt patch.... I cringe when I see that!
I spent about 2 days repairing divots on an 18hole par 3 golf course when doing work experience as a green keeper in year 10 at school. Everyone should be made to do that before being allowed on a course! 8)

Divots on greens are another issue

okitoki
25th August 2017, 05:27 PM
Question:
are these any better for pitch repair? bought one and seems to work, but not sure if doing the right thing.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61TubqwD9vL._SX355_.jpg

also, what's the etiquette of pitch repair? do it before or after if it does not affect players putting... and do you repair only yours, or the ones you see even if it means the flight behind you have to wait a little?

wazandnic
25th August 2017, 05:36 PM
Divots on greens are another issue

:lol: post fixed. 8)

wazandnic
25th August 2017, 05:37 PM
Question:
are these any better for pitch repair? bought one and seems to work, but not sure if doing the right thing.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61TubqwD9vL._SX355_.jpg

also, what's the etiquette of pitch repair? do it before or after if it does not affect players putting... and do you repair only yours, or the ones you see even if it means the flight behind you have to wait a little?

It's often said if you repaired your mark and one more we would have perfect greens!

Mayborn
25th August 2017, 05:43 PM
Very interesting about raking the bunker, had no idea nor do I think the people I typically play with. I like to think I am repairing divots correctly, however that may not be the case. I use a tee as I don't own a divot tool.

benno_r
25th August 2017, 06:35 PM
It's such a little thing with the bunker, generally we throw the rake out away from us, making a depression where it lands, then we drag it back to us. Rinse and repeat, by the time you get back to the edge of the bunker you have a number of rake depressions, and a heap of sand up against the edge.

I prefer to think of it like sweeping with a broom. Push the rake through the footmarks and then sweep or splash the sand out over where you just were. Keeps it nice and fluffy with no marks, and the sand still out in the middle.

LarryLong
25th August 2017, 10:21 PM
Or if you're at Victoria or Woodlands, just scrape the rake across the hardpan a few times.

PeteyD
26th August 2017, 05:25 AM
Or if you're at Victoria or Woodlands, just scrape the rake across the hardpan a few times.

After jumping up and down to try and create a footprint

Daves
26th August 2017, 07:07 AM
At Reddie Bay you are lucky for them to do even the most basic maintenance, let alone do it right. I would average 6+ ball mark repairs pretty much every green, and it could be more but I usually run out of time. Ditto on filling un-sanded divots on the fairway. It is not unusual to empty my sand bucket on each hole.

If the bunker has been raked it is a plus, and if it is, it is rarely in the direction of play. And the rake is never put into the bunker as per the very clear diagrammatic on the pro shop counter.

But for me those aren't the biggest issues. We have lots of stones ending up on certain greens, coming out of the bunkers. And not just little stones. I picked up one over 2cms in diameter on Wednesday. No one seems to bother clearing them, and I often have to dig them out, half buried after someone has stepped on them.

And the damage that cart drivers are doing to the course is getting totally out of control. I see someone has proposed a Cart Code of Practice for the AGM, though that is more about Insurance, etc. than on course behaviour (it does get a mention). Cart signs are totally ignored, and they even drive around barriers that are put up to keep them off worn areas. I am contemplating getting a GoPro and videoing them, name and shame I say! Because they all deny they do it, even though they do it regularly and in full view.

okitoki
26th August 2017, 12:18 PM
The next question is how much sand you fill a fairway divot? Is too much just as bad as not enough?

I normally just dump around 2 handful and use my shoe to even it out a little.

Johnny Canuck
26th August 2017, 12:49 PM
Too much isn't good for your mower blades.

It should be level to simulate a fairway lie.

oncewasagolfer
26th August 2017, 01:16 PM
I had an older member tell me the other week that the way I have been pushing the pitch marks into the middle is wrong that I should be forking them upwards. I told him that he was wrong and he begrudgingly accepted what I had to say.

oncewasagolfer
26th August 2017, 01:21 PM
At Reddie Bay you are lucky for them to do even the most basic maintenance, let alone do it right. I would average 6+ ball mark repairs pretty much every green, and it could be more but I usually run out of time. Ditto on filling un-sanded divots on the fairway. It is not unusual to empty my sand bucket on each hole.

If the bunker has been raked it is a plus, and if it is, it is rarely in the direction of play. And the rake is never put into the bunker as per the very clear diagrammatic on the pro shop counter.

But for me those aren't the biggest issues. We have lots of stones ending up on certain greens, coming out of the bunkers. And not just little stones. I picked up one over 2cms in diameter on Wednesday. No one seems to bother clearing them, and I often have to dig them out, half buried after someone has stepped on them.

And the damage that cart drivers are doing to the course is getting totally out of control. I see someone has proposed a Cart Code of Practice for the AGM, though that is more about Insurance, etc. than on course behaviour (it does get a mention). Cart signs are totally ignored, and they even drive around barriers that are put up to keep them off worn areas. I am contemplating getting a GoPro and videoing them, name and shame I say! Because they all deny they do it, even though they do it regularly and in full view.
We have had the same issue with stones out of bunkers being embedded in the greens for years at least they are finally doing something adding meshing and replacing the sand. Only time will tell if this solves the problem.

Jazz18
26th August 2017, 04:47 PM
I prefer to think of it like sweeping with a broom.

And you've got a lot of experience with brooms don't you bud! ;)

I always thought that's how you repair a pitch mark and still do it this way but the superintendent at Pennant Hills will tell you different, depending on the type of pitch mark. There is one type he recommends lifting the middle up. There is a video on you tube somewhere but I can't be bothered looking for it! 

Grumpy8
26th August 2017, 06:48 PM
In two bunkers today both were raked badly, ball ended up with mounds of sand behind it . Another bunker had deep footprints in it on a side wall where some prick had walked around it and not bothered to rake them out , was close to the pin and quiet feasible for a ball to trickle off the green and into one of them , so I raked them over , lazy pricks

Mayborn
27th August 2017, 05:43 PM
On the topic of pitch repair, what is a more practical way of carrying sand with a carry bag? I typically just carry around the bucket if I am by myself, but it becomes tedious. I also don't want to give up the water bottle slot on my bag.

Johnny Canuck
27th August 2017, 06:06 PM
On the topic of pitch repair, what is a more practical way of carrying sand with a carry bag? I typically just carry around the bucket if I am by myself, but it becomes tedious. I also don't want to give up the water bottle slot on my bag.

They used to make a great little bag attachment called the Sandmann.

In your case, an old Gatorade bottle in the water bottle slot would be best.

Put your water bottle in another pocket as you will use it much less.

Carrying a sand bucket is a no go.

oncewasagolfer
27th August 2017, 07:56 PM
They used to make a great little bag attachment called the Sandmann.

In your case, an old Gatorade bottle in the water bottle slot would be best.

Put your water bottle in another pocket as you will use it much less.

Carrying a sand bucket is a no go.
I use a piece of pvc pipe with cap ends for sand when I am carrying my bag. Carried my bag twice this week after pushing the carry bag on a buggy for the last couple of years and it was great not having to push a buggy through wet fairways. I have just ordered one of these to replace my aging mizuno aero light stand bag. https://www.golfbox.com.au/bags/range-bags/mizuno-scratch-bag-white-blue/

Johnny Canuck
27th August 2017, 08:02 PM
Sounds like a good device.

LarryLong
27th August 2017, 09:28 PM
I have a giant carabiner clip attached to my bag so I can hang a sand bucket off that, but it does bounce around a drop a bit of sand. I think OWAG's idea sounds like a good one.

BUSHY
28th August 2017, 03:50 PM
Originally only used this when carrying, now I use it all the time. Goes in the cup holder on my Clicgear while my drink bottle goes in the cooler pocket.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170828/10186512223b2a1ed0e6ab4e037c7768.jpg

Lagerlover
28th August 2017, 03:59 PM
+1

Had a clicgear sand bottle but it broke down over time.... we'll actually in a very short space of time.

Johnny Canuck
28th August 2017, 04:55 PM
+1

Had a clicgear sand bottle but it broke down over time.... we'll actually in a very short space of time.

Did you try and fill it in FNQ?

pt73
28th August 2017, 06:55 PM
I go through at least 14 buckets of sand per round to fill in my divots and plenty from the lazy pr1cks who don't fill in their own.

It's amazing the looks and comments I get from others when I remind of their responsibility after they hack out a huge divot and just walk off.

Nothing our board does makes a difference.

Drives me nutty and don't get me started on pitch marks.

Mayborn
29th August 2017, 07:38 AM
Solid idea regarding the poly tube, I think I may even have some left overs from rod tubes I've made.

One of these days I might actually buy a buggy.

3Puttpete
29th August 2017, 08:18 AM
Originally only used this when carrying, now I use it all the time. Goes in the cup holder on my Clicgear while my drink bottle goes in the cooler pocket.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170828/10186512223b2a1ed0e6ab4e037c7768.jpgBest $2 I ever spent at the reject shop

Daves
29th August 2017, 08:46 AM

Best $2 I ever spent at the reject shop

That would be loads better than the ill fitting piece of crap that ClicGear sell you. Mine is less than a year old and already falling apart.

mrbluu
29th August 2017, 09:01 AM
I go through at least 14 buckets of sand per round to fill in my divots and plenty from the lazy pr1cks who don't fill in their own.

It's amazing the looks and comments I get from others when I remind of their responsibility after they hack out a huge divot and just walk off.

Nothing our board does makes a difference.

Drives me nutty and don't get me started on pitch marks.So tell us about the pitch marks at ur course.....[emoji16]

mrbluu
29th August 2017, 09:01 AM
That would be loads better than the ill fitting piece of crap that ClicGear sell you. Mine is less than a year old and already falling apart.I've had my sand bottle for a couple of years now, never had an issue.

3Puttpete
29th August 2017, 09:12 AM
That would be loads better than the ill fitting piece of crap that ClicGear sell you. Mine is less than a year old and already falling apart.Strange. You being so gentle and all

Daves
29th August 2017, 09:22 AM
Strange. You being so gentle and all

I barely use it, it takes way too much effort to get off the lug. And it is actually rotting away, not wearing out.

Johnny Canuck
29th August 2017, 09:54 AM
Best $2 I ever spent at the reject shop

An air freshener the day after it was your turn to drive?

BUSHY
29th August 2017, 10:44 AM
I use a different pitch repair tool to the traditional two prong. I have a Scotty tool and some others from various clubs around the place but the one I use is the same as the ones below. Same as a tee but easier to use.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170829/4b5c791135878680485575253c485eb5.jpg

BayBum
2nd September 2017, 04:58 PM
First time I have seen a single pronged repair tool.

Rodent
4th September 2017, 08:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=HrY9zAHxjCI