PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder vs GPS vs Shot Tracker

Anthony
25th August 2017, 06:27 AM
Hey everyone, I've noticed lately that now that I'm starting to hit the ball more consistently I often pick the wrong club on approach shots and either end up long or shot. I've been thinking about getting either a ranger finder, gps or shot tracker like game golf to help with this.

Doing some googling it seems like rangefinders are option preferred by most but I just wanted to get everyone's opinions. My current handicap is 20, should I go for a rangefinder or is one of the other options better for a high handicapper like me?

Dotty
25th August 2017, 07:06 AM
Rangefinder 99.99% of the time.

Occasionally let down by needing line of sight, if a hillock or forest is between my ball and the pin.
No good at pointing out hidden bunkers and hazards, when visiting new courses.

okitoki
25th August 2017, 11:22 AM
Im a beginner too, and I find having the option to see exactly how far I am hitting is slowly improving my game by teaching me how to judge distance better, and understand if I am hitting the ball correctly to get a better consistency to my distance.
I use a cheap Tomtom GPS watch for my approx distance for my fairway shots on approach...
if I am planning to attack the pin, then I use the range finder..... (or trying to see if the group in front is within my drive distance)

Note, I do not use it for every shots I make, as I still like to use my train own "judgement" just in case I dont have my watch or range finder... and plus, I think I look like a "try-hard" if I keep using them for every, single, shot.... :D

wizard_of_oz
25th August 2017, 12:16 PM
Rangefinder 99.99% of the time.

Occasionally let down by needing line of sight, if a hillock or forest is between my ball and the pin.
No good at pointing out hidden bunkers and hazards, when visiting new courses.

+1. Go for a Bushnell or Leopold. I've had both, I prefer Bushnell but others will say Leopold. Can't go wrong.

milo-man20
25th August 2017, 12:32 PM
Definitely get a rangefinder. Even on foreign courses, i use it to have a look around the green for undulations, where exactly the pin is, bunkering etc.

Anthony
25th August 2017, 03:53 PM
Thanks everyone, sounds like a rangefinder is the way to go.