View Full Version : Ping G400 Range!

Captain Nemo
7th August 2017, 05:22 PM
Needs its own thread..
Believe the hype!

Captain Nemo
7th August 2017, 05:29 PM
Better size, sound, shape, feel.
Spin more with the stock shaft v G30 Alta.
Ball flight obviously higher...

wazamac
7th August 2017, 05:29 PM
Borrowed a demo on Saturday and jeeeeezzzzz the flight was high.
Had it set on 10.5 with a stock reg shaft. Was impressed with the forgiveness but probably was way too windy to to test properly.
Tried the epic on Sunday but the shaft was a little stiff for me.

Do you find it better than the Xr?

Captain Nemo
7th August 2017, 05:34 PM
Hard to tell as I didn't take it there (at Headquarters).
I don't think there Ball Flight system is as good as trackman but it serves its purpose.
They didn't have any LST or SFT heads (arrive on Friday?).
I'm going back when they do as my swing speed is 98mph so might benefit with lower spin head?

Hard_Pan
7th August 2017, 07:40 PM
Demo-ed the G400 driver and G400 irons last Thurs at HOG. Irons soo easy to hit. Got fitted with the Standard 9deg head with the 60s tour shaft. Yes, sound is totally muted and impact feels more 'solid'. Head looks a little more compact but mostly because the face is a little narrower. That said, nothing revolutionary enough to knock my G out of the bag.

oldracer
7th August 2017, 07:56 PM
Hard to tell as I didn't take it there (at Headquarters). I don't think there Ball Flight system is as good as trackman but it serves its purpose. They didn't have any LST or SFT heads (arrive on Friday?). I'm going back when they do as my swing speed is 98mph so might benefit with lower spin head?SF Tec head Capt'n 😜

Captain Nemo
7th August 2017, 07:57 PM
Id say so Al...��

oldracer
7th August 2017, 08:02 PM
Head on driver is smaller, 440cc instead of 460cc, marginal but noticable

TS
7th August 2017, 08:28 PM
I played couple games with the G400 with the regular Tour shaft, very easy to hit straight and distance is quite for an old chopper like me.

okitoki
7th August 2017, 08:42 PM
Demo-ed the G400 driver and G400 irons last Thurs at HOG. Irons soo easy to hit. Did the iron feel bulky like a GI irons?

Jazz18
7th August 2017, 09:32 PM
Did the iron feel bulky like a GI irons?

I haven't hit them yet but I have seen them in store. They are GI irons, no mistaking that. But I'd say they are probably the best GI iron I've ever seen. They looked excellent from address for a GI iron. The finish is mint as well.

Hard_Pan
7th August 2017, 11:24 PM
Did the iron feel bulky like a GI irons?As above, they're GI irons through and through but having played various iterations of the G clubs in the past, these do look quite nice and not overly bulky at all IMHO.

BUSHY
8th August 2017, 07:43 AM
Needs its own thread..
Believe the hype!

I agree. I hit the standard G400 a few weeks back on the range and it is a massive improvement over the G30 and G drivers in terms of feel, sound and look. Performance seemed as good if not better. Played alongside two guys with the demo and they both rated it highly.

Jerrymoo
8th August 2017, 11:04 AM
I've hit the G400 3-wood, and against the 2016 G series 3-wood (my current gamer)... I can't be convinced it's an improvement.

The G400 is kinda big, fairly round... and sort of loud. It does feel pretty hot, though.

okitoki
8th August 2017, 11:27 AM
I am hoping to try the G400 again this weekend... since I have sort of "figured" out my driver issue... so would be interesting to see how it compares to my XR16
But yes, it was very straight compare to my M1 previously.

TheNuclearOne
8th August 2017, 12:20 PM
I agree. I hit the standard G400 a few weeks back on the range and it is a massive improvement over the G30 and G drivers in terms of feel, sound and look. Performance seemed as good if not better. Played alongside two guys with the demo and they both rated it highly.

Even with similar performance some some sort of upgrades in feel, sound and look would make this one heckuva driver.

FuzzyJuzzy
8th August 2017, 02:34 PM
I swapped out my Ping G driver for a 2017 M1 as the M1 looks, sounds and feels better. Sounds like Ping has addressed those issues with the G400 driver...

oldracer
8th August 2017, 02:45 PM
Had an M2 and was probably my gumby swing but mostly felt dead coming from a Cleveland Custom XL, got onto a G SFTec and love it all, doesn't sound too tinny to me, certainly louder than the M2 but not obnoxiously

wazamac
8th August 2017, 03:08 PM
I might see if I can have a bash of the 9* on Saturday to try and get the flight down more.

Captain Nemo
8th August 2017, 03:26 PM
Had an M2 and was probably my gumby swing but mostly felt dead coming from a Cleveland Custom XL, got onto a G SFTec and love it all, doesn't sound too tinny to me, certainly louder than the M2 but not obnoxiously If that's the one you had at the champs, hands down winner!

oldracer
8th August 2017, 07:37 PM
That's the one, 12* SF Tec, give one a crack if u can, roll it back to 11.4* 👍

Captain Nemo
8th August 2017, 08:00 PM
That's the one, 12* SF Tec, give one a crack if u can, roll it back to 11.4* 👍 Yeh that's what I'm going back for as I'll benefit from less spin. Oh and they have my fav shaft there, AD MT 6s...😉

Johnny Canuck
8th August 2017, 09:48 PM
I swapped out my Ping G driver for a 2017 M1 as the M1 looks, sounds and feels better. Sounds like Ping has addressed those issues with the G400 driver...

I just put a bunch of polyester filling in my head as I felt the same about the feel and sound. It's helped on both fronts.

Daves
9th August 2017, 09:48 AM
Based on the number of G Series and G30s that have hit the Bay in the last week or so, plenty are trading up in the US.

Horse
11th August 2017, 06:57 AM
Borrowed a demo on Saturday and jeeeeezzzzz the flight was high.Had it set on 10.5 with a stock reg shaft. Was impressed with the forgiveness but probably was way too windy to to test properly.Tried the epic on Sunday but the shaft was a little stiff for me.Do you find it better than the Xr? PING say it launches a degree higher than the G Series and recommend that people try the lower loft....

3oneday
11th August 2017, 06:52 PM
I just put a bunch of polyester filling in my head as I felt the same about the feel and sound. It's helped on both fronts.performance should be impacted too not doubt :)

Bet JC saved some coin on the hype too.

Same ole same ole, you guys need to buy that putter that guarantee less than 30 putts a round :)

Captain Nemo
11th August 2017, 08:05 PM
performance should be impacted too not doubt :)

Bet JC saved some coin on the hype too.

Same ole same ole, you guys need to buy that putter that guarantee less than 30 putts a round :)
Pffft, I'm getting mine free! ��

davidw88
11th August 2017, 09:00 PM
Bought a driver, hopefully turn up next week.

Captain Nemo
12th August 2017, 10:18 AM
http://www.golfwrx.com/463792/review-pings-g400-and-g400-lst-drivers/

petethepilot
12th August 2017, 10:48 AM
Tried a demo at a round in melb the other day. Bought it after the round.
Didn't want the new one....the demo felt great!

Johnny Canuck
12th August 2017, 11:30 AM

Goddam it.

Here I was hoping Pete was going to say it was terrible and that way i could forget about it.

Captain Nemo
12th August 2017, 12:02 PM
****, surprised they let you do that...
You hear so many stories from guys who hit the Demo pure, then when they ordered or had it built didn't feel the same!
Happened to a Pro mate of mine (not ping but other OEM).

petethepilot
12th August 2017, 01:09 PM
****, surprised they let you do that...
You hear so many stories from guys who hit the Demo pure, then when they ordered or had it built didn't feel the same!
Happened to a Pro mate of mine (not ping but other OEM).
Capt, it helps that I am a member of the club and the club owns/runs the proshop. The staff there are renowned for their service.
Another plus was the demo was virtually new. No sky marks etc from hackers who had preceded me!

I bought a Callaway years ago that the demo was a weapon ....but the new one felt totally different!
Shouted the assistant pro a plate of hot chips and we changed all of the stickers etc to the new club!
Win both ways!!

Captain Nemo
12th August 2017, 01:16 PM
Capt, it helps that I am a member of the club and the club owns/runs the proshop. The staff there are renowned for their service.
Another plus was the demo was virtually new. No sky marks etc from hackers who had preceded me!

I bought a Callaway years ago that the demo was a weapon ....but the new one felt totally different!
Shouted the assistant pro a plate of hot chips and we changed all of the stickers etc to the new club!
Win both ways!!

Ahh, sorry my bad thought it was Ping demo day one....

fredstar
12th September 2017, 04:40 PM
Played my first round with the G400 driver today. It was automatic, crazy easy to hit and just repeatable ball flight drive after drive. As much as I loved my M2, its out of the bag!

Captain Nemo
12th September 2017, 04:55 PM
Played my first round with the G400 driver today. It was automatic, crazy easy to hit and just repeatable ball flight drive after drive. As much as I loved my M2, its out of the bag!
Obviously not at the Doon!
;)

wazamac
12th September 2017, 05:00 PM
Tried the 9* with a SR shaft on Saturday along with the 3 wood.

Driver: Pretty much hit the middle everytime with a lot more penetrating flight than the 10.5*. Distance wise I probably picked up a couple of metres at most with my piddly swing.
3 Wood: Don't know why I bother with these things. Seriously got to get me a 2 iron. :mad:

fredstar
12th September 2017, 08:29 PM
obviously not at the doon!
;)

nsw! 8-)

davidw88
20th September 2017, 01:33 PM
Cracked the hosel on this, just noticed today. Hit one out of the heel and thought it felt shit and looked and seen it cracked.

Wenz
20th September 2017, 01:48 PM
Ha. Ping can't seem to fix this issue.
They'll probably come out with a new adapter for their next release.

davidw88
20th September 2017, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I've had the previous models with the same adapter and haven't had trouble with them, this is the first one to bugger up for me.

3Puttpete
20th September 2017, 02:28 PM
New Ping driver, new hosel crack. At least you know what you're getting.

oldracer
20th September 2017, 04:43 PM
Hosel crack bum crack same same

wizard_of_oz
20th September 2017, 05:00 PM
How much are people paying for this new driver?

wazamac
20th September 2017, 05:30 PM
My Pro quoted me $549.00.
Didn't get one though as they didn't come with a new swing so I could hit it 300 yards.
Just been borrowing the demos.

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2017, 06:05 PM
Hoping I might get my hands on a G400 after this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171202/2d5b1f90c0e95529fee18b6a1a09dce9.jpg

3Puttpete
2nd December 2017, 06:36 PM
Hoping I might get my hands on a G400 after this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171202/2d5b1f90c0e95529fee18b6a1a09dce9.jpgStop using distance balls, chopper.

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2017, 07:10 PM
Stop using distance balls, chopper.

The ball said Supersoft

3Puttpete
2nd December 2017, 07:40 PM
The ball said SupersoftAnd our cool-killing friend calls himself cuddly.

Bomber55
2nd December 2017, 07:57 PM
Found the G400 driver pretty good on a demo round.
Hit a 7 iron demo close to my species on the driving range and they are very easy to hit. My variation on distance was dramatic not counting the bad mishits. 150-175m Too much for my liking and that's why I am going I200. The G400 series will be great for those that need to get the ball going but I am not there yet.

davidw88
2nd December 2017, 08:10 PM
Still haven't got this Driver back, probably got sent a couple of weeks after I posted on here as the pro was sick and then went missing up there. Hope to get it back soon, prefer it to the epic subzero I'm using at the moment.

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2017, 08:50 PM
Still haven't got this Driver back, probably got sent a couple of weeks after I posted on here as the pro was sick and then went missing up there. Hope to get it back soon, prefer it to the epic subzero I'm using at the moment.

I didn’t even have the luxury of a spare driver.

My last drive yesterday made a funny sound, but I didn’t look at the head.

Discovered the crack on the first tee. Hit 3w instead and my tee shot got stuck in a tree.

Great start to monthly medal.

davidw88
2nd December 2017, 08:53 PM
I never had a spare, noticed it broken on the 18th tee when it sounded a bit off. Went home that arvo and got one off golf box for the weekend, haha

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2017, 09:17 PM
I never had a spare, noticed it broken on the 18th tee when it sounded a bit off. Went home that arvo and got one off golf box for the weekend, haha

Nice.

I’m now happy I’ve been too lazy to sell my FlyZ+

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2017, 10:19 PM

Nice.

I’m now happy I’ve been too lazy to sell my FlyZ+

grandmasterb
4th December 2017, 02:57 PM
I've been demoing 2 x G400 heads/shaft combo's and can't believe how good they both are to hit. I've seen an increase in swing/club head speed as well as distance but still trying to come to terms with hitting an x-flex shaft (all in my head)

Id jump on either of the set ups and game them if it wasn't for the $700 & $1000 price tags....

Johnny Canuck
4th December 2017, 05:51 PM
I've been demoing 2 x G400 heads/shaft combo's and can't believe how good they both are to hit. I've seen an increase in swing/club head speed as well as distance but still trying to come to terms with hitting an x-flex shaft (all in my head)

Id jump on either of the set ups and game them if it wasn't for the $700 & $1000 price tags....

Good to hear.

Dropped my head off this morning to be sent back to Ping.

Apparently there are no G heads left in Aus, but there are in the US.

If my claim is accepted, I’m hoping I just get the G400LS

grandmasterb
5th December 2017, 08:26 AM
Good to hear.

Dropped my head off this morning to be sent back to Ping.

Apparently there are no G heads left in Aus, but there are in the US.

If my claim is accepted, I’m hoping I just get the G400LS

I sent a couple of pics of the caved in/cracked face of my RBZ to TM Australia as a joke (asking if it would still be covered under warranty even though its 7 years old haha) and to my shock they offered a new driver at a heavily discounted price haha

Captain Nemo
5th December 2017, 08:39 AM
I sent a couple of pics of the caved in/cracked face of my RBZ to TM Australia as a joke (asking if it would still be covered under warranty even though its 7 years old haha) and to my shock they offered a new driver at a heavily discounted price haha So they should, it’s called good customer service, brand awareness , goodwill.

grandmasterb
5th December 2017, 01:22 PM
So they should, it’s called good customer service, brand awareness , goodwill.

Honestly I didn't expect them to do anything it was more a joke really, but hats off to TM Australia for the customer service they offered me.

The head is 7 years old and god only knows how many golf balls it's hit in the that time so I'm actually shocked it lasted this long given all the stories I've heard about them cracking!

Captain Nemo
5th December 2017, 02:32 PM
Honestly I didn't expect them to do anything it was more a joke really, but hats off to TM Australia for the customer service they offered me.The head is 7 years old and god only knows how many golf balls it's hit in the that time so I'm actually shocked it lasted this long given all the stories I've heard about them cracking!Shouldn’t matter and shows it deosnt hurt to ask. So then you tell everyone here and it’s good Promo for them...

AlexMc
16th December 2017, 11:14 AM
Anybody know if there is any difference in the Tour 65 shaft from the G and the G400 bar the graphics?

Johnny Canuck
16th December 2017, 01:04 PM
No upgrade for me. Word is Ping is sending a replacement G Head from the states.

Disappoint, but happy to have a replacement nonetheless. The G works great, I just wanted to hit the 400.

KC4802
16th August 2018, 06:59 AM
Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay for a g400max ? Struggling to find an Australian price with the restrictions on online selling.
And is the upcharge still 35bucks for the tour shafts?

grandmasterb
16th August 2018, 08:02 AM
Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay for a g400max ? Struggling to find an Australian price with the restrictions on online selling.
And is the upcharge still 35bucks for the tour shafts?

About $580ish with the tour shaft, if they quote you more than that I wouldn't deal with them!

I think the tour shaft had a $80-100 upcharge originally and the Hzrdus yellow was $150

KC4802
18th August 2018, 06:59 AM
About $580ish with the tour shaft, if they quote you more than that I wouldn't deal with them!I think the tour shaft had a $80-100 upcharge originally and the Hzrdus yellow was $150 Thanks, that helped a lot. Both local quotes came at 630, so I got a bunch of lessons thrown in by the club pro to make up for it.