PDA

View Full Version : Driving Range - Grass Vs Mats

okitoki
2nd August 2017, 12:42 PM
After knocking off work early yesterday to go work on my driver... I brought along my 6 iron for my warm up routine.

Stop by my local club with a grass range. I thought I might also work on my swing ... started off bad... first shot was a top, with a hole mark about 6 inches in front of where my address was.... looked like bugs bunny tried to jump forward and dig a hole to China.

After a few more swing, with a more up right stance, I seem to have found nirvana.... the contact was smooth, don't feel the shot, ball sailed to a nice height, landing about 150M (my avg #6 is 140M)... this was repeated for the rest of the session for me... after 200 balls I was happy with my iron... (Driver is another story)

Anyway, after packing up and heading home, i thought it was still pretty early to go home, and I have some credits left in the other driving range to use up... so I thought I might go for another round...

Now this is a mat range.... I am repeating the same setup for my previous swing ... The shots are nice and straight.... but not that "soft, buttery feel" I had in the driving ranger....

Is this because of the mat vs grass difference, (the mats was pretty matted... no fluff, just card carpet) or did I just fluked my result.....

Another difference is first place is using old balls (still in good nick) while the 2nd place uses range balls.

olddogmike
2nd August 2017, 01:19 PM
It's impossible to know your divot is ok with mats, ok for driver practise though, saves having to use a tee.

Grumpy8
2nd August 2017, 01:49 PM
Could be a difference in the balls , driving range balls can be harder . I would practice on the grass , matts can hide some faults like hitting your irons slightly fat

Wenz
2nd August 2017, 01:55 PM
Range mats are actually more forgiving to hit off compared to grass/turf.

What I find astounding is you hit 200+ balls with 2 clubs? Don't you get bored?

okitoki
2nd August 2017, 02:17 PM
What I find astounding is you hit 200+ balls with 2 clubs? Don't you get bored?

well... I actually have my XR16 and BB V series driver with 2 different shaft... so it was more like 1 iron and 4 drivers :D
and was also practicing my iron punch shot as I found myself in a few situation needing to hit lot under tree branches...

There was an old fella whom I was chatting with, so he kept me entertained.... he was 'inspired" by me and ended up getting another bucket of balls... I think he was pretty nackered at the end, and gave me maybe 30 balls to finish off...

one thing to note,... I dont feel so tired after hitting off the grass, even after 200 balls... I probably would have continued on..... compare to the mat driving range, which I generally feel sore after... especially my left arm...

Mayborn
31st August 2017, 07:02 AM
one thing to note,... I don't feel so tired after hitting off the grass, even after 200 balls... I probably would have continued on..... compare to the mat driving range, which I generally feel sore after... especially my left arm...

I completely agree to this comment. My local driving range on the rare occasion have the grass bays open. I found hitting a 100 balls off the grass less fatiguing. However after 100 balls off the mat my hands and arms are sore. I assumed that the mats offer little shock absorbing qualities compared to the grass.

TheSlicedLife
16th December 2017, 01:41 PM
Can't beat grass.