PDA

View Full Version : Shafts for Ping Eye 2's

dazza99
1st August 2017, 09:32 AM
Guys. Picked up an old set of Ping Eye 2 irons (not the + version). Playable, but grips are shot and there's a bit of rust pitting on the shafts.

I'm toying with the idea of getting these clubs re-shafted if it won't break the bank. If I do, what kind of shafts (taper? size?) do I look out for? Anything special? I'm no club maker so don't know what to go for or even if clubs this old can be done or are easy for someone to do. Hoping they are not specialized in any way. I thought I read somewhere that these Pings are very hard to remove the shafts. Hope not.

TIA.

benno_r
1st August 2017, 09:39 AM
Depends on the set you have I guess. FYI, they are 0.355 taper.

Problem with eye2 is they have no ferrules, so if you buy pulls with tip prep, you will see the this prep above the hosel. If that doesnt bother you, get taper pulls in any flavour you like.

If it does bother you, you need to go new. It's quite hard to find cheap taper shafts.

I have been looking at TT lite xl for my eye2 heads.

https://www.golfworks.com/true-temper-tt-lite-xl-steel-iron-shafts/p/2XLI/

Cheers,
Ben

pt73
1st August 2017, 06:51 PM
Be on the lookout for a set of Ping stock shafts like CFS, AWT or similar.

They all have minimal tip prep (7/8" on an AWT) but ask for a measurement just to be sure.

pt73
1st August 2017, 06:51 PM
Be on the lookout for a set of Ping stock shafts like CFS, AWT or similar.

They all have minimal tip prep (7/8" on an AWT) but ask for a measurement just to be sure.

Dotty
3rd August 2017, 09:38 AM
I just did this recently with some Zing 2 and the NSPRO 950GH out of a set of KZG.
(Impressed by the G400 wedge, but didn't like the $1K prospect for a half-set of irons.)

Exposed tip prep doesn't look bad with only 5mm showing, when you consider these are 25yo clubs. (Handy for hustling young whippersnappers at the Vic Champs. ;)) Performance is up there with my previous favorites (Cobra S9), but more loft starting up from a 48* PW.

Only problem was swingweight, but 'fixed' that by soft-stepping the NSPRO and not butt-trimming. (If De Chambau can win on tour with longer shafted short irons, then it's good enough for me.)

I'd offer you the JZ pulls from the Zing 2, but they were garage finds, soft-stepped by a clubfitting meathead and probably not worth the postage cost/effort.

dazza99
4th August 2017, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll keep my eyes open for one of the sets mentioned above and I'll then be pestering someone to fit them for me

Captain Nemo
4th August 2017, 08:46 AM
If you find an original set of zz65's hey where great stock shafts.
In fact I'm heading to Ping on Monday, I can ask if they have some sets lying around.

dazza99
5th August 2017, 09:42 PM
If you find an original set of zz65's hey where great stock shafts.
In fact I'm heading to Ping on Monday, I can ask if they have some sets lying around.

Do they have sets just "lying around"? :)

Feel free to ask mate, and what $.

Cheers.

Captain Nemo
6th August 2017, 03:08 PM
Do they have sets just "lying around"? :)Feel free to ask mate, and what $.Cheers. They have heaps of gear lying around!What exactly do you want?

dazza99
7th August 2017, 09:34 AM
They have heaps of gear lying around!What exactly do you want?

Just the shafts to fit my Eye 2's :)

Specifically stiff and el cheapo :)

Captain Nemo
7th August 2017, 09:50 AM
I'll ask today.

Captain Nemo
7th August 2017, 09:51 AM
3-pw

dazza99
7th August 2017, 03:13 PM
If that's a question to me Capt'n, then my set is actually 2-SW. But 3-P would be fine.

Cheers mate.

Captain Nemo
7th August 2017, 05:21 PM
Ok , been and gone and going back.
There's shit everywhere down there, they will take a look for me!

dazza99
7th August 2017, 05:37 PM
Ok , been and gone and going back.
There's shit everywhere down there, they will take a look for me!

You're a legend captain. Cheers