PDA

View Full Version : Old school driver

okitoki
21st July 2017, 10:39 PM
OK... Took the M1 and an old Callaway Warbird 11*
I struggle to get a decent speed on the M1.. Fastest on the stiff shaft was around 95mph...and the consistency is just not there... Straight one day... Slice the next.

After changing the grip of the warbird. And hitting shots after shots of solid straight drive... I was wondering why I bothered with the M1 or other newer clubs. Not sure how fast my swing were but it gives that satisfying ting sound and the ball flight just seems more solid rather than floaty

Now I am wondering how can I replicate the feel of the old club in the newer generation drivers? Smaller heads? Shorter shafts? Any suggestions?

Ferrins
22nd July 2017, 06:35 AM
I got a Titleist 975D to trade for your M1👍

okitoki
22nd July 2017, 09:16 AM
Haha... Sounds like a good deal

Jazz18
22nd July 2017, 10:26 AM
OK... Took the M1 and an old Callaway Warbird 11*
I struggle to get a decent speed on the M1.. Fastest on the stiff shaft was around 95mph...and the consistency is just not there... Straight one day... Slice the next.

After changing the grip of the warbird. And hitting shots after shots of solid straight drive... I was wondering why I bothered with the M1 or other newer clubs. Not sure how fast my swing were but it gives that satisfying ting sound and the ball flight just seems more solid rather than floaty

Now I am wondering how can I replicate the feel of the old club in the newer generation drivers? Smaller heads? Shorter shafts? Any suggestions?

You won't be able to. You're talking about 20 years difference and you're not going to get the old type feel in the new generation of clubs. If your measured driver swing speed is 95mph, try a regular shaft in the M1. You could also try more loft. The other thing that will be different is the shaft length. If the warbird is a graphite shaft, it will be 44" long. If it's a steel shaft, it will likely be 43 or 43.5" long. The M1 will be 45.25" at least. Try a shorter shaft in the M1 as well and you'll find more consistency with it.

okitoki
22nd July 2017, 10:33 AM
Have tried a regular shaft and was just as inconsistent as the stiff on my normal day.

Not sure if the head also makes a difference.... Old warbird felt whipped and fast while the M1 felt like I have resistance fan attached to it after.

Stuart
22nd July 2017, 01:36 PM
Low lofted three-wood instead? The head size will probably be closer, and, as Jazz says, the shaft length will probably also be similar.