PDA

View Full Version : Is this a joke ????

Jarro
29th June 2006, 04:54 PM
looks like somebody can't stand not being in the spotlight while the Origin series is on :roll:

what a friggin joke :evil:

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19618915-23214,00.html

Grunt
29th June 2006, 05:02 PM
I agree Jarro, how would just about every fringe cricketter feel now that they are having celebs play instead of them.

Jarro
29th June 2006, 05:03 PM
i'll bet Newcastle aren't exactly thrilled about their #1 player standing in front of Shaun Tait off the long run :roll:

Grunt
29th June 2006, 05:05 PM
Will be in the off season, he plays lower grade cricket anyway. Thing is it may harm Tait more than Johns. Imagine if Johns actually hits him around the park.

Jarro
29th June 2006, 05:24 PM
can't see that happening Grant

Fishman Dan
29th June 2006, 05:29 PM
If it were Wally Lewis you'd be creaming yourself Jarro.

Fact is, I'd put him up against the Bulls. No chance any Queensland team in any sporting code can beat him.

Jarro
29th June 2006, 05:34 PM
well we'll soon find out won't we Dan

Fishman Dan
29th June 2006, 05:39 PM
Not sure what you're getting at. I guess?

Fact is, it's a 20-20 game. Publicity stunt. I don't know if it was warranted because these ridiculous games seem to get a decent crowd anyway. The other thing is that it's a competition, real prize money at stake. Surely there are NSW cricketers who will rightfully have the $hits because he is taking their spot.

But i think he'll go ok. Batting at the Newcastle Oval isn't the same as the WACA. Tait is quicker than anything he's ever faced, but what how many balls will he face from Tait? Considering the bloke gets 24 for the match, he's not likely to face any more than what.... 5?

Jarro
29th June 2006, 06:04 PM
i think he's a self-absorbed wanker who should stick to League

AndyP
29th June 2006, 06:19 PM
It's not like it would do any damage if he copped a bouncer to the head.

Courty
29th June 2006, 06:51 PM
Might break his glass jaw like a QUEENSLANDER did a few years back in State of Origin!

Can't even remember his name now (Jamie Gold-something?) but DAMN was it a good punch.

Jarro
29th June 2006, 06:54 PM
Jamie Goddard was the mans name Courty

Courty
29th June 2006, 06:59 PM
Jamie Goddard was the mans name Courty

I knew that! ;)

Moe Norman
29th June 2006, 07:19 PM
its a complete joke.

at least get someone with some sort of cricketing ability, not a complete retard.

McCoy
29th June 2006, 08:06 PM
Do they really expect "huge" crowds to a 20/20 match because Andrew Johns is playing? Weren't 20/20 matches practically selling out last year anyway?
I'm not particularly interested in watching Johns play league, let alone cricket - but there is someone from Newcastle I would go to watch.......

Jarro
30th June 2006, 06:26 AM
me too McCoy .... i'd crawl down to Newcastle to see JH lose her skirt again :smt118

Fishman Dan
30th June 2006, 08:02 AM
its a complete joke.

at least get someone with some sort of cricketing ability, not a complete retard.

And you base calling him a retard on what?

Nice constructive post mate. Fact is he's one of those kids in the schoolyard we all hated - they were good at sport they tried.

I reckon he'd towel you up at golf too ;)

Jarro
30th June 2006, 08:08 AM
i don't believe he'll do the 20/20 concept any good at all Dan, wouldn't you rather see a talented junior playing in it rather than a semi-retired league player.

.. i know Michael Slater would.

He'll look like a tosser out there jumping out of the road of a couple of quick, rising deliveries.

that's if he's good enough to get outta the way :twisted:

connico
30th June 2006, 09:08 AM
his a waste of space on the pitch, the 20-20 match that i saw last year was almost packed, i like slaters comment about the idea being constructed over a boozy lunch, they must of been drinking moonshine...

ffs.....a waste of space, id rather see howard try to bowl again...

raidrboy
30th June 2006, 08:24 PM
Surely there are NSW cricketers who will rightfully have the $hits because he is taking their spot.

Good call. Whats with the selectors I think they had to much raspberry cordial at the meeting when they made this decision.

jimandr
30th June 2006, 10:16 PM
20/20 is the ultimate hit and giggle. The players don't give a rats about it (as long as they get paid to play).

Johns is very unlikely to see any action unless the game is either already won or already lost.

If he does get a bat you can guarantee it won't be while the express bowlers are on. Johns can't afford to get injured, the cricket association can't pay the injury costs (surely no insurer would cover this), and the game would suffer very badly if they bowl deliberately at him and hurt him.

I don't think he should be playing, but if he does there'll be a gentleman's agreement as to how to deal with it.

Don't be surprised if the other states now do something similar. It has generated publicity, and marketing types love headlines.

Jarro
1st July 2006, 06:44 AM
i wouldn't have thought the 20/20 game needed any publicity, it seemed to be pretty popular already with the general public :-s