PDA

View Full Version : Hybrids vs GI long Irons

okitoki
12th July 2017, 01:03 PM
After last weekend's game, managed to hit 33 points playing off 25... however, the scores would have been alot better if I didnt wipe 3 holes , and if my lay up shots for a few holes were a little better. (one hole I hit my 5 iron, topped it and went left, hit the 100 distance marker bounced further back into the trees and hid behind a tree... I was laughing so much I managed to hit the tree chipping it out and went even further back... hole wiped)

Anyway, I realised most of the issues with my 2nd shots seems to be with my 5 iron and the Cobra 4-5 Hybrid at 22*... both seems to be slightly inconsistent... though my 3 Hybrid seems to worked really well for me.

This got me thinking.... would a GI long iron be an alternative option compare to a hybrid?

I am pretty happy with my shorter iron games, and have always preferred hitting irons instead of wood/hybrids.... and I the Razr X Black I had was hitting pretty well with the 4 and 5.

The Apex 4 and 5 seems to hit well in driving range, but just seems to struggle with it on the course.... not sure why....

gameboy
12th July 2017, 01:09 PM
i have played at various times with Cally Apex 4 iron, Apex UT 21 deg and the cally big bertha hybrid at 21 degrees. (play off 16)
i have settled on the UT as i am most consistent with it at that distance, then use the apex 5 iron below it and the cally hybrid at 19 deg above it.

okitoki
12th July 2017, 01:28 PM
i have played at various times with Cally Apex 4 iron, Apex UT 21 deg and the cally big bertha hybrid at 21 degrees. (play off 16)
i have settled on the UT as i am most consistent with it at that distance, then use the apex 5 iron below it and the cally hybrid at 19 deg above it.

I never used a utility before, and when i look at it, I keep thinking it is like the old blade driving irons for ages ago... is it hard to hit off the fairway?

olddogmike
12th July 2017, 01:32 PM
I get near as long with my 3 iron as I do with fairway woods, a lot more reliable too.

3Puttpete
12th July 2017, 01:43 PM
After last weekend's game, managed to hit 33 points playing off 25... however, the scores would have been alot better if I didnt wipe 3 holes , and if my lay up shots for a few holes were a little better. (one hole I hit my 5 iron, topped it and went left, hit the 100 distance marker bounced further back into the trees and hid behind a tree... I was laughing so much I managed to hit the tree chipping it out and went even further back... hole wiped) Anyway, I realised most of the issues with my 2nd shots seems to be with my 5 iron and the Cobra 4-5 Hybrid at 22*... both seems to be slightly inconsistent... though my 3 Hybrid seems to worked really well for me. This got me thinking.... would a GI long iron be an alternative option compare to a hybrid? I am pretty happy with my shorter iron games, and have always preferred hitting irons instead of wood/hybrids.... and I the Razr X Black I had was hitting pretty well with the 4 and 5. The Apex 4 and 5 seems to hit well in driving range, but just seems to struggle with it on the course.... not sure why.... Drop the 5 iron 4 hybrid. Hit the 3 hybrid or 6 iron. You're welcome.

3Puttpete
12th July 2017, 01:44 PM
I get near as long with my 3 iron as I do with fairway woods, a lot more reliable too. 120 down the guts is 120 down the guts. Doesn't matter how you get there.

okitoki
12th July 2017, 02:49 PM
Drop the 5 iron 4 hybrid. Hit the 3 hybrid or 6 iron. You're welcome.

My total distance for my clubs are approximately below when hit well
3H - 170s
4H - 160s
5I - 150s
6I - 140s

if I remove the 4H and 5I then I would have a pretty big gap there?

3Puttpete
12th July 2017, 03:29 PM
My total distance for my clubs are approximately below when hit well
3H - 170s
4H - 160s
5I - 150s
6I - 140s

if I remove the 4H and 5I then I would have a pretty big gap there?

How often do you hit greens with them?

okitoki
12th July 2017, 03:45 PM
How often do you hit greens with them?

Very Good point...

Previously when I was struggling with my driver, and was using my 2H to tee off, I needed the hybrids and 5I more... now I am finding my footing with my driver, I might be able to get away with using the 6I and a chip

sfdoddsy
12th July 2017, 09:35 PM
I also feel like I prefer irons to hybrids, but could never decide.

I used to play irons up to the 5 iron, a strong-lofted 4 iron for long par 3s, then a couple of hybrids.

Some days I would hit the hybrids well and love them, other days I would spray them everywhere or simply top them.

Equally some days I would hit my 5 iron well, other days I'd hook the crap out of it.

I've tried various GI long irons with similar inconsistency.

On a whim I bought a Ping 5 Crossover for cheap on eBay.

I wasn't expecting much, but the first shot I hit with it (off the tee on a long par 3) was superb. The next shot I hit with (off the deck) was also superb.

Not every shot shot since has been as brilliant, but really bad ones are very rare. I am way more consistent with it than either my proper long irons or my hybrids.

It's big and chunky and has lots of offset, but I hit it higher and straighter than both alternatives.

I actually feel more confident with it than I do my 6 iron.

I liked it enough that I bought the 4 Crossover as well. I only use it off the tee, but it is also way more consistent than my hybrids.

As for length, the 5 is longer than my 5 iron and about the same as my 4 hybrid on well struck shots. It averages much higher than both because I hit it better (180-190 yards)

The 4 Crossover off the tee is about the same as my 3 hybrid (200-210).

I still carry the 3 hybrid to use off the deck, but I haven't really tried the 4 Crossover there that much.

Above that I use a Cobra Baffler, which is the only fairway wood I've ever felt comfortable with.

The Crossovers are expensive if you buy new, but there is one GI club amongst the many I've tried that comes close - the Callaway Big Bertha OS.

okitoki
12th July 2017, 10:56 PM
Well.... Picked up a x24 5 iron from Gumtree for $20.... Went to driving range with the Apex, old Ap1, my old Maruman and my dads old blade. 4 and 5 irons. Hitting up from the blade to the x24.. Man the x24 is so easy to hit after the blade.... Distance wise seems to be similar to my Apex.

Will bring it out this weekend and see how it goes.

The 4H face seems to confuse me... Not sure how to align to my target... I keep thinking it is open

Jazz18
12th July 2017, 11:10 PM
Best thing to do is just keep trying things. And if something works, go with it. I used to hit my 20deg utility really well. Had full confidence in it. Now I can't hit it at all. Back to the hybrids. I love love love my 816H2 hybrids. Because of the distance gapping, I actually carry a 4 iron and a 4 hybrid essentially but the 4 iron is 10-15m shorter than the hydrid so fits in nicely. Would never go on the golf course now without my 23deg/4 hybrid. It is so good. But hybrids aren't for everyone so just try things and use what works.

Daves
13th July 2017, 09:08 AM
So many variables, so many options. As Jazz said, it is trial and error, if you have the time. Everyone has their own swing characteristics, so there is no one fit all solution. Some sweep, some dig for example. There are variations in the type of rough from course to course. What will work best out of the rough for you?

Then there is the make up of the rest of your bag you are trying to fit into. I usually carry a Hybrid between 3 wood and 4 iron, but not always. A TM Speedblade 4i for instance is 20* and looong for me. So if I carry a Hybrid with it in the bag, it will a #1 and around 16*. A good combo for Black Markers for example, when the extra distance and options off the tee can be a bonus. And the full Speedblade set is effectively 3 - 9 in terms of loft in standard sets, so I have a potential gap at the wedge end, and adjust my wedge lofts accordingly.

They say you should hit a Hybrid like an iron and I try to do that. All my clubs are MOI matched, and I find that helps me hit my Hybrids more consistently. It also enables me to transition easily, changing clubs in the bag all the time, as I do with my Bag Lotto system.

For what it is worth, my favorite long Irons and Hybrids are;

Irons
TM Speedblade 4i (which reminds me, I have a Speedblade 3i I must try!)
Cleveland 588TT or MT in either 3 or 4I
Callaway Apex 3 or 4i
TM RSi1 4i
TM Burner 2.0 4i

Hybrids

Adams a12 Pro
Adams Proto Gold
Cobra Baffler Pro
Titleist 915 Hd
Adams 9031 series

3oneday
13th July 2017, 09:45 AM
Don't overthink it.

Ferrins
13th July 2017, 09:46 AM
What?

okitoki
13th July 2017, 11:20 AM
Don't overthink it.

Will try that... guess after hitting a few bad iron shots on "easy" positions psyched me out... since I've got plenty of handicaps to play with now, I should play it easy or just play safe and play the shorter irons and hopefully have a easy chip on with 1 or 2 putts to hole out for 2 points.

3oneday
13th July 2017, 12:05 PM
What?
Golf, in general. He's asked for opinions, got plenty. Not sure they will assist a 25 marker unless he's prepared to take the hybrid to a pro and say teach me.

Will try that... guess after hitting a few bad iron shots on "easy" positions psyched me out... since I've got plenty of handicaps to play with now, I should play it easy or just play safe and play the shorter irons and hopefully have a easy chip on with 1 or 2 putts to hole out for 2 points.
See above, should be the easiest club in your bag to hit, but only if you know how.

The biggest issue I encountered when I switched to hybrids was convincing myself I'm not to hit it like a wood :) The type of stick shouldn't matter, mine is a J33 made by Bridgestone, which is about 10 years old.

Johnny Canuck
13th July 2017, 12:20 PM
I look at it like this.

Hybrids - you should get better and more consistent solid strikes, but your misses can go a lot further offline.

Low irons will be tougher for you to launch and hit solid, but when you miss, it won't be as deep in the kack.

Carry one of each so that you have options

okitoki
13th July 2017, 12:58 PM
I look at it like this.

Low irons will be tougher for you to launch and hit solid, but when you miss, it won't be as deep in the kack.

well... can't say its normal for me to be further from where I started after 2 shots :D (after hitting a distance marker and a tree)

Johnny Canuck
13th July 2017, 01:08 PM
Hartfield will do that to you.

I played in a foursomes championship with a +1 marker there.

I hit a 180m drive, that was stopped by trees. My partner hit a tree on our second for -30m.

I hit a tree on our third for about -90.

One more, we were back on the tees.

mrbluu
13th July 2017, 01:31 PM
I never used a utility before, and when i look at it, I keep thinking it is like the old blade driving irons for ages ago... is it hard to hit off the fairway?
Have u tried buying a new putter and 3 wood?? 😁😁

okitoki
13th July 2017, 01:34 PM
Have u tried buying a new putter and 3 wood?? 
no new putter (yet), but just bought a cheap old Callaway X Hot 3 wood :D

mrbluu
13th July 2017, 01:38 PM
no new putter (yet), but just bought a cheap old Callaway X Hot 3 wood :D
Then ur on ur way to hit better drives and irons as well

okitoki
13th July 2017, 01:51 PM
Then ur on ur way to hit better drives and irons as well

then probably can make pro by end of year then :)

mrbluu
13th July 2017, 02:01 PM
then probably can make pro by end of year then :)
Depends on how much u buy....😁😁

Dotty
13th July 2017, 03:08 PM
Have you tried more loft?

Adjust your Cobra 4-5 hybrid to 25*.

If you want a 4 hybrid, then buy a matching 3-4 hybrid and adjust that to maximum loft.

Jazz18
13th July 2017, 04:39 PM
Have you tried more loft?

Adjust your Cobra 4-5 hybrid to 25*.

If you want a 4 hybrid, then buy a matching 3-4 hybrid and adjust that to maximum loft.

What kinda loft are you talking about Dotty?

Dotty
13th July 2017, 05:02 PM
What kinda loft are you talking about Dotty?
For him, it's loft.

For you and I, it's always LOFT.

okitoki
15th July 2017, 06:45 PM
OK. Got rid of the 4H today and change over to the AP1 #4 & #5.

Played smart on the first 9 scoring 21 points. However... Blew 2 holes in the 2nd 9 and just scoring low end up finishing the day at 36 points.

The 4 iron was easier to hit for me and even shit shots goes straight and not get me in trouble. My chipping today killed a lot of opportunities.

On a different note... Managed to play with a Ping G400 at the driving range... Surprisingly I have no slice at all with it compare to my M1.