PDA

View Full Version : 2017 M1 3 wood vs 2017 M2 tour 3 wood

Jazz18
28th June 2017, 11:13 AM
Looking at perhaps one of the above. Anyone hit both or either and have some feedback? Are they as good as the drivers? I loved the 2016 drivers and will grab a 2017 M1 driver at some point but was keen to hear whether anyone thinks the fairways are as good. Cheers

Edit: meant to also ask if anyone has hit/bought one of these what loft they went with. Did you find you neede the HL version to get results instead of a 15deg version.

davidw88
28th June 2017, 12:38 PM
Have a 2017 M1 3 wood in 15 deg. Had a titleist 917f2 before that and the m1 is probably slightly longer and is a flatter flight. I find the m1 a bit easier to hit off the deck as the head is a bit smaller.

Jerrymoo
28th June 2017, 06:48 PM
Jazz, I've hit the '17 M1 at my local range a few times. Goes well, feels pretty hot. Nice club, for sure.

I've seen the '17 M2 Tour at PowerGolf, but I haven't hit it. Looks a little small, to me. Kinda like one of those old Cobra S9-1 Pro fairways.

So, M1 with all the adjustability; M2 Tour with none. And the M1 is a little shallower, longer heal to toe; M2 Tour is a little deeper, shorter heal to toe.

Jazz18
28th June 2017, 07:45 PM
Thanks guys. I had a chance to hit them today. Definitely preferred the M1. I agree with you Jerry, the M1 looks a little bit friendlier than the M2 tour because of the heel to toe length and the shallower face. M2 tour is quite deep. I want to be able to hit it off the deck a little easier so the deep face won't help that. Do like the adjustability of the M1 too.

Dave, did you hit the 17deg as well? I didn't seem to see much difference between the 15 and 17 today on a launch monitor but maybe that's my gumby swing giving the same numbers from gumby strikes. Probably just shows that 2deg of loft doesn't make much difference. I did like the way the 17deg looked next to the ball with a little extra loft.

davidw88
28th June 2017, 09:01 PM
Nah didn't try the 17, usually have to buy without trying here unless I want to travel a couple of hours.

Jazz18
28th June 2017, 09:57 PM
Nah didn't try the 17, usually have to buy without trying here unless I want to travel a couple of hours.

Fair enough. Thanks

wazandnic
28th June 2017, 10:03 PM
... but maybe that's my gumby swing giving the same numbers from gumby strikes...

Yeah right... Flusha!!

8)

jimandr
28th June 2017, 10:32 PM
I have a stupid question to ask about this subject, and if the responses take the discussion way off topic I'll delete the lot.

If you are testing/comparing 3 woods of different varieties, surely you would want to do so in real world conditions, which would be on a fairway, aiming toward a target (preferably a green). I can't see why you would compare 3 woods. or any clubs except drivers for that matter, indoors, off perfect lie mats and look at launch monitors, when that isn't how you are using the club on the course. Unless you only hit 3 woods from tees I suppose.

I would think the most important aspect of a 3 wood is how easy it is to hit from fairway lies, and that would be a legitimate way of deciding between an M1 and an M2.

I wouldn't think "the numbers" are all that relevant.

Jazz18
28th June 2017, 11:04 PM
I have a stupid question to ask about this subject, and if the responses take the discussion way off topic I'll delete the lot.

If you are testing/comparing 3 woods of different varieties, surely you would want to do so in real world conditions, which would be on a fairway, aiming toward a target (preferably a green). I can't see why you would compare 3 woods. or any clubs except drivers for that matter, indoors, off perfect lie mats and look at launch monitors, when that isn't how you are using the club on the course. Unless you only hit 3 woods from tees I suppose.

I would think the most important aspect of a 3 wood is how easy it is to hit from fairway lies, and that would be a legitimate way of deciding between an M1 and an M2.

I wouldn't think "the numbers" are all that relevant.

Good point. At my previous club, 3 wood off the tee was very important. LM numbers were very important when mostly using it off the tee but now not so much at the clubs I'm playing now I guess. But, I do find it useful to see how they compare in controlled conditions. When I can see how they launch and spin compared to each other off a mat, then I know what to consider or what to forget about.

It can also help with how a club sets up next to the ball and how it feels and sounds (even though they do sound a little different indoors). For example, I've eliminated the M2 tour because I didn't like the way it sets up next to the ball and how it sounded. It was too similar in look to a three wood I already have and I didn't like the sound at all. The M1 sets up and sounds much nicer to me so even that helps. Numbers from a LM can just help eliminate or support a feel your getting from a club in a shop.

Does that make some sense of it Jim?

jimandr
29th June 2017, 10:26 AM
Does that make some sense of it Jim?

Nothing makes sense to me with the way some of you guys must have a try of the latest version of everything, but you need feedback from other users first.

Surely you would just read the manufacturers blurb and accept it would be better because they say it is. You know you are going to try it anyway, because it is a scratch you simply must itch.

3oneday
29th June 2017, 10:53 AM
It's important you hit something well inside so you don't blame it when you don't outside :)

Jazz18
29th June 2017, 06:22 PM
It's important you hit something well inside so you don't blame it when you don't outside :)Doesn't matter how good it goes inside, if it doesn't work outside, it's still the clubs fault :)