PDA

View Full Version : Why is the spider tour so expensive?!

thecollective
26th June 2017, 02:41 PM
Howdy Ozgolfers,

Made a rare trip to Drummond's today to pick up a shoe bag - notably they had a black spider tour (DJ) putter in left hand so I had a waggle-yip with it...

My goodness what a fantastic putter - very soft but also very solid with a small balanced head; reminds me alot of a Seemore. Very good for a flat lie mallet

What kills me though is the price - listed @ $429; looking at the putter close up it seems like a normal mass produced premium putter with an insert

I acknowledge the argument 'you'd pay that for a Scotty or an Anser' sure but you can clearly see and feel the difference when it comes to a milled face and the attention to detail in the construction etc.

Are they basing price just on WTP (Willingness To Pay) or is there a legitimate reason why it is $429 - for me its an insert based putter and most retail around $350 tops

Interesting the US seem to sell it around the same price - and that is in USD! so no good trying overseas

benno_r
26th June 2017, 02:53 PM
Howdy Ozgolfers,

Made a rare trip to Drummond's today to pick up a shoe bag - notably they had a black spider tour (DJ) putter in left hand so I had a waggle-yip with it...

My goodness what a fantastic putter - very soft but also very solid with a small balanced head; reminds me alot of a Seemore. Very good for a flat lie mallet

What kills me though is the price - listed @ $429; looking at the putter close up it seems like a normal mass produced premium putter with an insert

I acknowledge the argument 'you'd pay that for a Scotty or an Anser' sure but you can clearly see and feel the difference when it comes to a milled face and the attention to detail in the construction etc.

Are they basing price just on WTP (Willingness To Pay) or is there a legitimate reason why it is $429 - for me its an insert based putter and most retail around $350 tops

Interesting the US seem to sell it around the same price - and that is in USD! so no good trying overseas

Simple answer is "because they can". And the numbers they are selling I'd say more people are willing to accept it. I only got mine because I got nearly half of it in pro shop winnings.

jimandr
26th June 2017, 04:29 PM
TC, I'm afraid you answered your own question correctly.

Spiders are this year's Oddysey 2-ball or Scotty Newport or any other flavour of the month putter.

I recall quite a few years ago 2-balls were retailing for north of $600.

The market sets the price, then the copiers sell copies at half price, then the punters realise that no putter will help bad putters putt better. Then a new model comes out that looks and feels different, and the cycle starts over again.

Drivers, on the other hand, are totally justified in their pricing (he says with heavy sarcasm).

thecollective
26th June 2017, 04:59 PM
TC, I'm afraid you answered your own question correctly.

then the punters realise that no putter will help bad putters putt better.

Correct; 14 putters and counting and yes I am a terrible short distance putter

olddogmike
26th June 2017, 07:07 PM
Buy yourself a Spyder Ghost for a fraction of the price, then make a trip to Bunnings choose your colour of choice, red or black, problem solved. :razz:

TheNuclearOne
26th June 2017, 08:57 PM
Buy yourself a Spyder Ghost for a fraction of the price, then make a trip to Bunnings choose your colour of choice, red or black, problem solved. :razz:

Not sure i'd be going a fake tho.

Johnny Canuck
26th June 2017, 09:12 PM
2 balls fetched over $600?

olddogmike
26th June 2017, 10:39 PM
Not sure i'd be going a fake tho.still genuine Taylormade, just customised like many SC,s out there.