Grunt
27th June 2006, 08:18 PM
Hi all

Now we are at Semi Final stage. The semi Finallists are:

Jimandr
Brad
Grunt
Andrew
What do you all think about us organising a dedicated OzGolf Matchplay event for the 4 of us to play our matches?
I know we are going to Kooyinda Waters in a few weeks but I think we should not play 2 events at once. What do you all think?

Andrew
28th June 2006, 09:53 AM
I'm up for a special matchplay round, as long as it's a day I can play.

Grunt
28th June 2006, 05:43 PM
What days would that be? Maybe the 4 of us put down a list of available days in July/August. Then we work out where we line up best. Next stage would be to put down the options for courses that day. After all that we get a date and a course. It is now down to us to get the game happening. Sounds easy hey?

jimandr
28th June 2006, 09:10 PM
Brad and I are both very limited in our weekday availability, Andrew can't play Sundays and Grant has his golfing life ruled by shiftwork. It won't be easy to get all four of us together.

Brad has already suggested that he and I play a simple matchplay round, without a stableford/stroke/other event in conjunction. I'm happy to go along with this. It can be done within the confines of a competition round as long as the other players in the group know what is going on, and it may be cheaper than playing social green fees.

Brad and I were looking at either the last Friday of July, or sometime in early August. Negotiations are continuing.

Grunt
29th June 2006, 05:34 AM
The last Friday in July is good for me. It just might be that the planents are aligned or something for once. Let's see if this can happen.

Grunt
29th June 2006, 08:09 AM
Just looking at the open day's for Fridays. How about playing Ryde-Parramatta on the 28th July? I have never played there, how about you guys?

Andrew
29th June 2006, 11:35 AM
That Friday is good for me as well.

Grunt
29th June 2006, 07:10 PM
Another Course that may be in the picture is Camden Lakeside. I just saw an ad in The Golfer for golf in July for $58 per person. the offer is available 7 days

Andrew
29th June 2006, 08:14 PM
Another Course that may be in the picture is Camden Lakeside. I just saw an ad in The Golfer for golf in July for $58 per person. the offer is available 7 days

I would prefer Camden Lakeside.

I'm away for the next 10 days (probably not with internet access) as of tomorrow, so I'm happy to play anywhere on that Friday. Just organise it & I'll be there.

jimandr
29th June 2006, 09:53 PM
Miracle of miracles. Our planets are in total alignment.

Brad is happy with Friday July 28.
Jimandr is happy with Friday 28
Grunt is happy with Friday 28
Andrew is always happy.

Camden Lakeside at less than $60 sounds perfect. Actually, I might jump onto their website, lodge a formal enquiry, and see if they offer a better discount. Or I might get lucky and win a free game.

I suppose we should ask other OzGolfers if they wish to join us. Maybe two groups, with a match in each group and a referee (or two).

amanda
30th June 2006, 08:28 AM
I'd like to play as well - happy to referee the Grant v Andrew match :)

Grunt
5th July 2006, 10:17 AM
After looking at Vince's post about Shootoutgolf, I looked at his link only to find that shootout golf are having a day at Camden Lakeside on the 28th july, no tee time is given. Maybe we will have to loook for another course.

Virgal_Tracy
5th July 2006, 02:54 PM
Grant if its anything like yesterday it was a 10:30 - 11:00am shotgun tee off. Would probably mean that it blocks out the whole day apart from a 6am tee off.

TS
5th July 2006, 03:00 PM
Grant if its anything like yesterday it was a 10:30 - 11:00am shotgun tee off. Would probably mean that it blocks out the whole day apart from a 6am tee off.

Vince, how was the shootout. I got an email offering from them to play the Camden round at member's rate. Is it worth it?

TS

Grunt
5th July 2006, 03:30 PM

That is what I thought it would be like, oh well another course to be decided then.

jimandr
5th July 2006, 10:18 PM
After looking at Vince's post about Shootoutgolf, I looked at his link only to find that shootout golf are having a day at Camden Lakeside on the 28th july, no tee time is given. Maybe we will have to loook for another course.

I sent Lakeside an enquiry email over the weekend. I was expecting a reply well before now, but have not received one. The Shootout may explain their silence.

Other Options: For a genuine social round concentrating on our matches, plenty of courses should be available, but we'll have to pay their normal green fee price. Bankstown is fairly accessible to each of us. Dare I even suggest Cabramatta?

Virgal_Tracy
6th July 2006, 07:48 AM
Vince, how was the shootout. I got an email offering from them to play the Camden round at member's rate. Is it worth it?

TS

Tony,

It was basically a stabby round and then they draw 6 holes at random. The top 8 players with the best score from those selected holes then go into a 3-4 hole playoff with players dropping out on each hole until 2 left for the final.

All ties are settled by a putt off from the furthest part of the green with the closest going through. Some good prizes for those lucky enough to win either overall or the stabby event. The winner on Tuesday one a windbreaker, Hogan CS3 club and 2 tickets to Las Vegas for the world shootout champs. There was also travel bags, stand bags, rescue clubs, balls so not bad in all.

Lunch was also supplied so it made for a good day. You just have to work out if all of that is worthwhile for the extra cost from a normal round.

brad
6th July 2006, 12:36 PM
I'm happy to play anywhere on that day. Bankstown sounds fine by me.

Grunt
6th July 2006, 01:01 PM
Has Banktown recovered from when there greens died over the summer. I know a lot of temporary greens were in play earlier in the year. 15/18 I think.

Virgal_Tracy
6th July 2006, 02:41 PM
I played Bankstown 3 weeks ago and there was only 1 temp green. Most were in good nick except for 4 where vandals had gotten in and attacked the greens with the rakes.

jimandr
6th July 2006, 09:06 PM
I'll ask my mate who is a member of Bankstown what its current condition is like. He's likely to be playing on the weekend, so I'll report back on Monday.

If there are no temporary greens I'll be in it.

brad
7th July 2006, 12:09 PM
If all greens are in, count me in as well!

Andrew
10th July 2006, 07:57 PM
Hi guys,

I just flew back in this arvo, so I thought I better ask, "Is anything happening with this day?"

I have another voucher for Camden Lakeside at $50 for 4 golfers with cart on a week day.

jimandr
10th July 2006, 09:00 PM
Hi guys,

I just flew back in this arvo, so I thought I better ask, "Is anything happening with this day?"

I have another voucher for Camden Lakeside at $50 for 4 golfers with cart on a week day.

Earlier posts in this thread indicate that Lakeside is out of play on Friday 28th due to a corporate day of sorts.

I can now confirm that all greens at Bankstown are reported to be in play ('the rebuilt 8th is Ok but a bit slow' is the report I've received). So we had almost agreed to play at Bankstown on Friday 28 July.

I can take an RDO and play any day of that week, so I'm not fussed whether it is Bankstown on the 28th, or Camden Lakeside another day that week. I'll leave it to you guys to declare your availability and golfing preferences.

Grunt
10th July 2006, 10:03 PM
I am available all that week except Monday.

amanda
11th July 2006, 07:38 AM
Brad and I are only available on the Friday (unless ppl want to drive up to Port Macquarie during the week ;))

Grunt
11th July 2006, 08:25 AM
Just rang Camden Lakeside, Friday 28th July booked out. The guy said it was the only day this month it is booked out.
I know everyone is talking of playing Bankstown but I would prefer to play at an Open Day, just for the cheaper green fees that comes with open days. What are the green fees for Bankstown?

Friday Options are:

Camden Valley
Dunheved
Fox Hills
Macarthur Grange
Muirfield
Oatlands
Richmond
Ryde Parramatta
Strathfield
The CoastThere may be others that I do not have on my list.

amanda
11th July 2006, 08:30 AM
Grant - we may have a problem with an open day - only because we may not have our golflink cards from Bathurst yet. I will contact them today to find out how much longer.

3oneday
11th July 2006, 08:35 AM
Grant - we may have a problem with an open day - only because we may not have our golflink cards from Bathurst yet. I will contact them today to find out how much longer.Amanda, the club should be able to send you an interim handicap card anyway.

Pete

amanda
11th July 2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks Pete - I will ask them about this.

Grunt
11th July 2006, 08:57 AM
Yeah I have not got mine yet, but Golflink says in it's web site that golflink cards take 2 weeks from order before delivery to the club. Could be a month before you have a golflink card. I am going to ring the club myself today too.

brad
11th July 2006, 12:47 PM
My original idea was to play a matchplay without any other events in order to see what it felt like to play only the matchplay (since I'd never done it that way before).

If this can't be done, then I am happy to combine it with an open event, but not any more events (e.g. Ozgolf stroke play). I believe Jim is in agreement here.

As Amanda said, I can't play any other day that week except Friday as I am up the coast. But, I can play anywhere on that day. I am happy to pay social fees to play this game as well.

Andrew
11th July 2006, 03:52 PM
Some of the 'better' courses would not take kindly to social golfers playing off the members tees. Playing an open day alleviates that problem.

Brad & Grant - Bathurst should be able to give you a golflink number before the card is sent. I played a couple of comps by just quoting my number, before my card had arrived in the mail.

Grunt
11th July 2006, 03:56 PM
When I spoke to Bathurst today, as my Mac Grange membership is still valid I just use it's golflink until I recieve the new one. Then I ring Bathurst and they will transfer my history to the new number.

jimandr
11th July 2006, 08:46 PM
Grunt's list:

Friday Options are:
Camden Valley (OUT, my home course)
Dunheved
Fox Hills (OUT, crappy course)
Macarthur Grange (OUT, Grant's home course)
Muirfield
Oatlands
Richmond
Ryde Parramatta
Strathfield (OUT, many temporary greens)
The Coast
There may be others that I do not have on my list.

Ryde Parramatta is the best course, but quite expensive at $55 or so. Isn't the Oatlands price fairly high as well? Never played at Muirfield, so I'd like to play there sometime (although if I recall correctly, Andrew doesn't rate it highly).

My view is that The Coast is probably the best option, and certainly the most scenic, so that is the one I nominate as first preference.

Andrew
11th July 2006, 09:06 PM
Never played at Muirfield, so I'd like to play there sometime (although if I recall correctly, Andrew doesn't rate it highly).

My view is that The Coast is probably the best option, and certainly the most scenic, so that is the one I nominate as first preference.

I have no problem with Muirfield. I may have said in the past that they have water problems, so the course gets very dry.

I would vote for The Coast as well. I still believe that 16 of the holes are reasonable, even if the other 2 are the worst in Sydney. At least the 2 worst holes are after each other. All the 'badness' happens all at once.

Grunt
11th July 2006, 09:40 PM
Would love Muirfield, not that keen on the coast,

brad
12th July 2006, 12:51 PM
Should I make it three to one ... Yep!

Coast.

Grant, why aren't you keen on The Coast?

Grunt
12th July 2006, 06:34 PM
Brad I dont see the value in playing there with it in it's current state.

The Temporary 7th hole is a joke a blind tee shot par 3 of about 130m to a peice of cut grass they call a green.
The abysmal idea of a hole on the 10th Par 3.5
If things could get worse they did with the very next hole, short club off tee to fairway then long club uphill to the green. Even low markers have struggled on this hole they don't get a shot on.Even that said the course for the money is not up to the standard of other courses that are available to play on Fridays.

jimandr
12th July 2006, 09:00 PM
We are all at Kooindah Waters on Saturday, so let's look each other in the eye, and make a decision then.

If there is a deadlock, then we can do a Rock, paper, scissors (always pick paper the first time, as most pick rock) championship to decide.

brad
13th July 2006, 12:49 PM
Oh work , how I love you :evil: .

28th now out for me. Got to work. Sorry guys. August is also looking fairly tight - eben the weekends. Some projects MUST hit their target dates.

I'll try hard to find a date Jim and I can play, but if not, then Jim may get a free ride to the finals ... :smt087

jimandr
13th July 2006, 09:22 PM
Oh work , how I love you :evil: .

28th now out for me. Got to work. Sorry guys. August is also looking fairly tight - eben the weekends. Some projects MUST hit their target dates.

I'll try hard to find a date Jim and I can play, but if not, then Jim may get a free ride to the finals ... :smt087

I thought you were on holidays?

I hope you are getting something extra for either breaking your holiday or cancelling it altogether. We'll talk on Saturday and see what can be worked out. I want to play, not get a free ride.

brad
14th July 2006, 12:15 PM
We're going up the coast until Thursday. So still have holidays. Just cancelling the last day due to work really ramping up. And yes, there will be something - what that is I don't know, probably free dinners.

I would much rather play as well and either get to the finals or make it as hard for you as possible :)

Glad to chat tomorrow.

Grunt
15th July 2006, 04:58 PM
Well after Brad and Jim having to work out another date for their match due to Brad's work commitments. Andrew & I have planned to have our match on the same date, 28th July @ Muirfield.

Grunt
24th July 2006, 12:34 PM
Another Change,

Andrew V Grunt

Penrith GC

Wed 26th July