PDA

View Full Version : When is it time to get iron lie angle changed and shafts lengthened?

GrandJury
25th June 2017, 02:26 AM
Greetings all
I have recently acquired a great set of Ping G25 irons which feel excellent off the driving range and practice grass. Have never hit a club so well before. They are yellow dot and standard length with graphite TFC 189i regular shafts.

At my height (6"3', 94-95cm wrist to ground) I'm more suited to a white or silver dot with around 1/2 to 1 inch of extra length. But given that they're genuine clubs and I knew Ping iron lie angles can be changed I felt comfortable buying the clubs.

However, when will I know to get the lie angle changed and clubs lengthened? Are there any tell-tale signs that should prompt me to take them to my pro shop and get them altered? A Drummond golf manager bemused me saying that lengthening standard flex graphite shafts will risk making the clubs super flexible and "unplayable" - is that true?
Cheers

3oneday
25th June 2017, 03:14 AM
Isn't yellow a couple up?

Height doesn't dictate lie or length, arm length does. You should probably get a guy to give you a lesson or get Drummond to see if your clubs suit you.

And yes, lengthening does make them more flexible, and flatter lies too I think.

WBennett
25th June 2017, 05:21 AM
When is it time? If it was keeping you up at 2:30 and making you post, I suggest the time is now.

Johnny Canuck
25th June 2017, 08:01 AM
If you've never hit a club so well before as you state, don't change a thing.

mrbluu
25th June 2017, 08:42 AM
Greetings all
I have recently acquired a great set of Ping G25 irons which feel excellent off the driving range and practice grass. Have never hit a club so well before. They are yellow dot and standard length with graphite TFC 189i regular shafts.

At my height (6"3', 94-95cm wrist to ground) I'm more suited to a white or silver dot with around 1/2 to 1 inch of extra length. But given that they're genuine clubs and I knew Ping iron lie angles can be changed I felt comfortable buying the clubs.

However, when will I know to get the lie angle changed and clubs lengthened? Are there any tell-tale signs that should prompt me to take them to my pro shop and get them altered? A Drummond golf manager bemused me saying that lengthening standard flex graphite shafts will risk making the clubs super flexible and "unplayable" - is that true?
Cheers

How do u hit them on the course??

GrandJury
25th June 2017, 09:47 AM
Yes yellow dot is 1.5 degrees upright.I've had clubs fitted at Drummond before, not these ones specifically yet but they recommend a 3 or 3.75 degree upright club in a ping (white or silver dot)Haven't played them on a course yet hence my question of what should I be looking out for and whether to get them altered now or after a few rounds

davidw88
25th June 2017, 09:51 AM
Give them a try, if you hit them no good then get them changed.

GrandJury
25th June 2017, 09:53 AM
Other than "not feeling good" though what are the specific signs I should be looking out for?

Of course some of it could be technique but for instance if I'm continually pulling the ball, should I get the clubs modified and in what way? That's the sort of answer I'm looking for.

jwags
25th June 2017, 10:11 AM
Im in the same boat as you mate. Im 6'3 have ping irons that i think are not the correct colour code. I know ping in Sydney will bend them to the correct code for you free of charge you just pay postage. Dose anyone have a recommendation on where to go for a proper colour code fitting? Will drummond or other shops do this even if your not going to be buying a new set from them?

GrandJury
25th June 2017, 11:03 AM
Im in the same boat as you mate. Im 6'3 have ping irons that i think are not the correct colour code. I know ping in Sydney will bend them to the correct code for you free of charge you just pay postage. Dose anyone have a recommendation on where to go for a proper colour code fitting? Will drummond or other shops do this even if your not going to be buying a new set from them? Same as me there! There is a Ping colour chart if you just google it. You can work out the basic measurements at home yourself. Most Drummond stores have machines to bend the lie angle of irons and they say particularly so for genuine Ping clubs I think because the metal heads are quite workable. You can also do the proper lie angle fitting there where they put tape under your iron and you hit a ball of a Perspex mat, and the club base gets marked where it struck the ground. I haven't thought about the postage option, not sure how to arrange that. Do you know? My first port of call was going to be my local Drummond who ive had dealings with and would be happy to lengthen or change the lie angle of my clubs

grandmasterb
25th June 2017, 12:04 PM
Same as me there! There is a Ping colour chart if you just google it. You can work out the basic measurements at home yourself. Most Drummond stores have machines to bend the lie angle of irons and they say particularly so for genuine Ping clubs I think because the metal heads are quite workable. You can also do the proper lie angle fitting there where they put tape under your iron and you hit a ball of a Perspex mat, and the club base gets marked where it struck the ground. I haven't thought about the postage option, not sure how to arrange that. Do you know? My first port of call was going to be my local Drummond who ive had dealings with and would be happy to lengthen or change the lie angle of my clubs

You just answered your own question!!!

mrbluu
25th June 2017, 12:14 PM
Yes yellow dot is 1.5 degrees upright.I've had clubs fitted at Drummond before, not these ones specifically yet but they recommend a 3 or 3.75 degree upright club in a ping (white or silver dot)Haven't played them on a course yet hence my question of what should I be looking out for and whether to get them altered now or after a few rounds
Go try them on the course and take it from there.

3Puttpete
25th June 2017, 12:15 PM
If they work off range mats but are no good on course (and that's the problem) why on earth would you get fitted indoors?

Johnny Canuck
25th June 2017, 12:38 PM
Other than "not feeling good" though what are the specific signs I should be looking out for?

Of course some of it could be technique but for instance if I'm continually pulling the ball, should I get the clubs modified and in what way? That's the sort of answer I'm looking for.

If they are too flat, shots should leak right (providing you are a righty).

Feel should be fine.

Lagerlover
25th June 2017, 01:10 PM
If they work off range mats but are no good on course (and that's the problem) why on earth would you get fitted indoors? Simulator Matchplay currently 2 and 0

3Puttpete
25th June 2017, 04:03 PM
Stimulator Matchplay currently 2 and 0

What you do with your computer games is your business.

GrandJury
25th June 2017, 04:30 PM
If they work off range mats but are no good on course (and that's the problem) why on earth would you get fitted indoors? Agreed Pete, and that's my issue. What to look out for on the course

Gammon
30th June 2017, 08:32 PM
When is it time? If it was keeping you up at 2:30 and making you post, I suggest the time is now.
One of your best Wayne 👍