PDA

View Full Version : Lag putting

Jazz18
12th June 2017, 11:21 PM
My lag putting sux balls right now. Anyone got any good drills that you've tried and actually helped? Cheers

davepuppies
13th June 2017, 08:28 AM
My putting sucks generally, but when I was playing full time I used to practice my lag putts by looking at hole instead of ball. The brain is good at depth perception and telling your arms how hard to hit it.....

When playing, I would take a few practice swings looking at hole, then immediately step over ball and take stroke.

mrbluu
13th June 2017, 09:07 AM
My lag putting sux balls right now. Anyone got any good drills that you've tried and actually helped? Cheers

Buy a new driver!!! :mrgreen:

Captain Nemo
13th June 2017, 09:09 AM
Hit it closer! 🤣

Dotty
13th June 2017, 11:11 AM
Be wary of putters with two first names.

Coldtopper
13th June 2017, 03:24 PM
Once played with a tool who lag putted really well from 100. Anything over he could hit a full shot.

I bet your stroke is shit so get on a Sam a few times. Best 300 dollars Ive spent on golf crap this year

Jazz18
14th June 2017, 11:58 AM
Thanks for tips fella's.

Dave, I like your idea for starters. Something I can put in play straight away. Will see pretty quickly if that helps. I generally see the line pretty well and start the ball where I need to, just my speed is no where near it. I'll give this a crack tomorrow and see how it goes.

wazandnic
14th June 2017, 12:30 PM
Rich, I've found that anything deep milled or soft face screws with my distance control. Have you got any non milled face / old school hard face flat stick in the cupboard?? Could be worth a shot for a round or two or a bit of practice?

Lagerlover
14th June 2017, 02:03 PM
Any slippery down hill putts or something needing a little caution, I use the toe of the putter.

Lagerlover
14th June 2017, 02:15 PM
An ex ozgolfer gave me a great tip to quieten my stroke, with the putter never leaving the outside of your foot on the "backswing".
This helped keep everything under control, and the compact swing leaving the follow through the only thing in my mind.

Jazz18
14th June 2017, 07:12 PM
Rich, I've found that anything deep milled or soft face screws with my distance control. Have you got any non milled face / old school hard face flat stick in the cupboard?? Could be worth a shot for a round or two or a bit of practice?

Funny you should mention that Waz. I am going directly against Dottys advice by doing this but I'm going to take out the Circa 62 tomorrow. Has a fine milled face and it's quite light so might be able to control the distance a bit better. I struggle mostly with heavy or bulky putters with lag putts but then I suffer on the short putts when I'm not using them. It's a bit of a balancing act but the lag putting is more of an issue at the moment so giving the Circa another run won't hurt.

Any slippery down hill putts or something needing a little caution, I use the toe of the putter.

An ex ozgolfer gave me a great tip to quieten my stroke, with the putter never leaving the outside of your foot on the "backswing".
This helped keep everything under control, and the compact swing leaving the follow through the only thing in my mind.

Thanks LL. I use the toe putt quite a lot already actually but the short backswing is a good idea. That's also something I can incorporate pretty quickly. Thanks for the tip.

BUSHY
15th June 2017, 05:46 AM
A drill I use is putting from edge to edge on the green and trying to stop it as close to the fringe without touching it. I pick a spot to target but it's not my main concern, the main concern is stopping it as close to the fringe without touching it. Do this in all different directions either uphill and downhill and you'll soon develop better speed control.

Jazz18
15th June 2017, 06:37 PM
A drill I use is putting from edge to edge on the green and trying to stop it as close to the fringe without touching it. I pick a spot to target but it's not my main concern, the main concern is stopping it as close to the fringe without touching it. Do this in all different directions either uphill and downhill and you'll soon develop better speed control.

Thanks Bushy. I like the sound of that one, not too technical. I can just see it and putt to create a better feel for the speed. Cheers.

backintheswing
15th June 2017, 06:50 PM
I have a drill I use to improve lag putting.

Pick a hole on the putting green around 40 to 50 feet away. Use 10 balls. Putt the first ball around half way to the hole. Now get the next ball past the first, and proceed with all ten, the last ball needs to finish before the hole though. If any ball doesn't pass the last ball or goes past the hole, then reset and start again.

BUSHY
15th June 2017, 06:51 PM
Thanks Bushy. I like the sound of that one, not too technical. I can just see it and putt to create a better feel for the speed. Cheers.

I stole it from Tiger.

mrbluu
15th June 2017, 07:05 PM
I stole it from Tiger.
Bwhahahaha

Steve57
15th June 2017, 07:11 PM
I stole it from Tiger.i hope you haven't stolen any other of Tigers habits!:lol:

benno_r
15th June 2017, 07:12 PM
I stole it from Tiger.
Shouldn't have said that. Jazz doesn't trust anything Tiger says or does.

Jazz18
15th June 2017, 07:24 PM
I stole it from Tiger.

LOL! :)

Jazz18
15th June 2017, 07:27 PM
Shouldn't have said that. Jazz doesn't trust anything Tiger says or does.

Would trust a bloke with a head like this? I definitely wouldn't trust him with my car keys!

benno_r
15th June 2017, 07:43 PM
Would trust a bloke with a head like this? I definitely wouldn't trust him with my car keys!
Go to a few more Ozgolf champs and you'll realise thats not a bad Sunday morning look.

BUSHY
15th June 2017, 07:54 PM
Go to a few more Ozgolf champs and you'll realise thats not a bad Sunday morning look.

Bus driver?

Jazz18
15th June 2017, 08:23 PM
Bus driver?

Porcelain or the four wheeled variety?

BUSHY
15th June 2017, 08:48 PM
Porcelain or the four wheeled variety?

Four wheeled. Was thinking designated bus driver. Always a tough gig on a golf trip.

Jazz18
16th June 2017, 12:14 AM
Four wheeled. Was thinking designated bus driver. Always a tough gig on a golf trip.

Not sure the passnegers wouldn't have the tougher gig in that case! ;)

Anthony
16th June 2017, 02:54 PM
A drill I used is placing my wedges down on the putting green to form a box with one side open which is about 3ft x 3ft. I then putt from from 20ft, 30ft and 40ft. The goal is to have the ball stop within the box but without hitting the wedges. I usually use 3 balls from each spot and keep trying until get all of them within the box. The main aim of the drill is practicing getting the ball past the hole so it has a chance but to stop it within 3 ft of the hole for an easy second putt.

Another one that I find helpful is to stand behind the ball and make some practice strokes whilst looking at the hole. Once I feel that I have the right stroke I set up to the ball, close my eyes and make the putt. I've found that this one is good for building up muscle memory and teaching myself to commit to the putting stroke that I practiced.

I also like to find a few 20-25ft putt that has a lot of break. I have a Pelz putting aid that I use in this drill to make sure I putt straight. I set up the Pelz aid towards the point where I need to hit for the putt to break towards the hole. Then I practice putting through that point so that the putt will break and get close to the hole. I've also found this one useful for practicing putting from off the green.

BUSHY
16th June 2017, 07:45 PM
Actually I've been doing a bit of reading and general studying with regard to practice techniques for the entire game.

Deliberate and Random being the two main types.

Something like lag putting is probably better practiced with random practice. That is, using one ball putting to different targets of varying lengths and slopes one at a time rather than hitting multiple shots at the same target from the same spot. Once you have the speed of that particular putt your brain has already calculated most of the variables, the value would decrease. Unless you were working on a specific technique in the stroke.

Anthony
16th June 2017, 10:55 PM
Actually I've been doing a bit of reading and general studying with regard to practice techniques for the entire game.

Deliberate and Random being the two main types.

Something like lag putting is probably better practiced with random practice. That is, using one ball putting to different targets of varying lengths and slopes one at a time rather than hitting multiple shots at the same target from the same spot. Once you have the speed of that particular putt your brain has already calculated most of the variables, the value would decrease. Unless you were working on a specific technique in the stroke.

I defientely agree, this is something I've discussed with my teaching pro. Short putts are all about technique and repetition as a <5ft putt doesn't change much from one hole to the next in most cases. That is why hitting 50 or 100 3ft putts into the same cup is an effective practice technique. As you get longer it becomes more about training yourself to calculate stroke length and line based on a visual assessment of the variables. I move around quite a bit and putt from various distances on the drills I use as it's more effective and realistic practice.

walks
5th July 2017, 02:15 AM
I've been doing the Phil Mickelsen drills and I've noticed a large improvement in a couple of weeks.

Jazz18
7th July 2017, 12:10 AM
My lag putting has improved out of sight over the last few weeks. Hadn't tried any of the drills yet but a change in putter did the trick!

#hoingisbest

mrbluu
7th July 2017, 12:12 AM
My lag putting has improved out of sight over the last few weeks. Hadn't tried any of the drills yet but a change in putter did the trick!

#hoingisbest
U sure it wasn't the new 3 wood?? 😃😃