PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Queensland Championships - Cairns

benno_r
8th June 2017, 04:46 PM
Good day fellow Ozgolfers,

Courty and I would like to welcome you to the 2017 Ozgolf Queensland championships in sunny Cairns.

The prestigious Duncan Bennett Memorial Trophy will again be up for grabs as golfers across the country compete to be Qld's top Ozgolfer. Will you be able to defeat last years Champion, Backintheswing, and get your name on the converted trophy?

Kicking off Friday 8th September, and finishing on Monday 11th September. Beat the southern cold weather, and come and join us in the sunny Cairns.

Sunny Cairns you say? Well:
Average September High: 28.7degC

Average September Low: 18.7degC

Mean Monthly Sunshine hours: 261hrs

THE GOLF
Friday: Cairns GC - http://www.cairnsgolfclub.com.au/

Home course to the worlds largest selection of Solarmen. Looking to reprise ver2.0 of the famous 2-ball Banana cup.

Golf: $31 Walking
Cart: $35/cart
Tee time: 12:00 noon first group
Comp: Social round only

Saturday: Palmer Sea Reef - http://www.palmergolf.com.au/cms/palmer-sea-reef/

Coolum might have fake dinosaurs, but Sea Reef has real ones - stay out of the water and you'll be fine.

Golf: $115
Cart: compulsory (inc)
Tee time: 11:15am first group
Comp: $10 pay on the day

QLD CHAMPS PUTTING COMP will also held prior to this round. Kicking off at 10:00am.

Sunday: Paradise Palms - http://www.paradisepalms.com.au/golf

A tough track for champs day 2 to sort the wheat from the chaff. Such a thorough test it has been said Lefty can't break 80 around here (though he has never played it on a Monday)

Golf: $115
Cart: compulsory (inc)
Tee time: 09:00am first group
Comp: $10 pay on the day

Monday: Half Moon Bay GC - http://halfmoonbaygolf.com.au/

A nice cruisy wind down close to the city on the Monday. Lefty normally score 200 birdies on a Monday, so as a group we should get at least 4.

Golf: $40
Cart: $30/cart
Tee time: 07:30am first group
Comp: Social round only

We also will be looking for an informal locals-organised Thursday round. Please feel free to come and play with us. Pay on the day, nice and relaxed.

NOTE: All golf to be prebooked and includes fees for prizes (overall / NTP etc). I will register interest below and deposit / payments paid early would be most appreciated. Some people may get cheaper rates for being members / reciprocal etc, please let me know if this applies to you.

ACCOMMODATION
Bookings start Thursday night, through to Sunday night.

http://www.bayvillage.com.au/

I have reserved:
4x Std motel rooms - twin share - $68pp per night
4x Std motel rooms - Double (solo) - $135pp per night

In an effort to encourage families to take a winter break, Bay Village also has:
2 Bedroom apartments ($290/night) – sleeps 4 ($26 for extra person)
3 bedroom apartments ($320/night) – sleeps 6 ($26 for extra person)
Family Rooms ($175/night) – sleeps 4

For those wanting these rooms, I am happy to book, and also happy if you want to arrange yourself.

There is a pool on site, and a Balinese restaurant. Accommodation is located 1.2km from the center of Cairns CBD.

And the fine print:
1. You will not be considered as entered until you supply your Full name, club and Golflink.
2. Deposits (min 20%) to be paid by end July. Remaining by End August. Late entries will be accepted pending availability.
3. All rounds for championship purposes will be scored as stableford.
4. We do this for fun, so don't be a dick if we don't quite have what you want, or you don't like it.

Payment by bank transfer - Please leave your user name and QLD as the message ie "QLD - username"

Bank: Bankwest
A/C: Benjamin Reed
BSB: 303 092
A/c #: 5689339

PLAYER

Fri Golf

Sat Golf

Sun Golf

Mon Golf

Cart - Fri

Cart - Mon

Accom -
Single / Share

Thur Accomm

Fri Accomm.

Sat Accomm.

Sun Accomm.

Subtotal

Amount
Paid

Amount
Owe

Comments

PRICING:

$31

$115

$115

$40

$17.50

$15.00

$68 / $135

$68 / $135

$68 / $135

$68 /$135

Current Nos.

benno_r
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
N
Solo
Y
Y
Y
Y
$841
$841
$0
Cairns recip

Courty
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N
$280
$0
$280
Cairns mem

Peppas
N
Y
Y
N
N
N
Solo
N
Y
Y
N
$500
$500

$0

KJ
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
N
Y
Y
Y
Y
$573
$573

$0

Cairns recip

Jimandr
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Solo
Y
Y
Y
Y
$1278.50
$1278.50
$0
+ Wed/Mon/Tue accom

Bushy
Y
Y
Y
TBC
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N
$240
$240
$0
Cairns member

Dcanto
Y
Y
Y
N
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N
$261
$261
$0

BITS
N
Y
Y
N
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N

$230
$230
$0
2016 CHAMP

Jazzdog
N
Y
Y
N
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N
$230
$230
$0

AndyP
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
N
Y
Y
Y
Y
$573
$573
$0

Haysey
Y
N
N
Y
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N
$50
$0
$50
Cairns Member

MrBluu
Y
Y
Y
N
Y
N
N
Y
Y
N
$414.50
$414.50

$0

Pete_RS
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N
$301
$301
$0
Cairns recip

LeftyHoges
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
N
N
Y
Y
Y
$505
$505

$0

Solarman
Y
Y
Y
N
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N
$240
$240
$0
Cairns Member

SundayHack
N
Y
Y
N
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N
$230
$0
$230

Frodo (Solarmans mate)
N
Y
N
N
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N
$115
$0
$115

Shazza_RS
N
Y
Y
N
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N
$230
$230
$0

Toots
N
Y
Y
N
N
N
NA
N
N
N
N
$230
$230
$0

benno_r
8th June 2017, 04:47 PM
Saved for future Information

Courty
8th June 2017, 06:09 PM
In. 8)

KristianJ
8th June 2017, 06:49 PM
I'm in. Richmond has reciprocals with Cairns. Twin share accommodation most likely Thur to Sun nights, and no carts where carts are optional.

Please, thanks, excited!

Iain
8th June 2017, 08:00 PM
I'll be in too. Although I'll only need accomodation on the Saturday night.

benno_r
8th June 2017, 08:07 PM
I'll be in too. Although I'll only need accomodation on the Saturday night.
Beautiful. Welcome aboard. Play sat/sun, or any other days take your fancy?

Iain
8th June 2017, 08:10 PM
Beautiful. Welcome aboard. Play sat/sun, or any other days take your fancy? I'll play everyday, just don't need the accommodation every night. In laws are up there.

benno_r
8th June 2017, 08:16 PM
I'll play everyday, just don't need the accommodation every night. In laws are up there.Awesome, solo or share?

SundayHack
8th June 2017, 08:17 PM
In for Fri-Sun. Shared accom Fri-Sun.

Iain
8th June 2017, 08:21 PM
Awesome, solo or share?I'll be solo that night, so looking to share with someone.

benno_r
8th June 2017, 08:21 PM
In for Fri-Sun. Shared accom Fri-Sun.
welcome aboard champ!

jimandr
9th June 2017, 02:05 PM
In for all the golf and anything else happening. Carts for me all the time if anyone else wants to share one.

Solo for the accommodation.

I'll request the organisers to ask about extra days either side at the Resort for me (wed and mon and tues nights). I've never been to Cairns, and it is quite possible that I'll never go there again (unless we have another Qld Champs in the rotation eventually), so I will make a proper holiday of it and have a sightseeing few days after.

Bring on the warmish weather. Handicap farming starts now.

benno_r
9th June 2017, 02:25 PM
In for all the golf and anything else happening. Carts for me all the time if anyone else wants to share one.

Solo for the accommodation.

I'll request the organisers to ask about extra days either side at the Resort for me (wed and mon and tues nights). I've never been to Cairns, and it is quite possible that I'll never go there again (unless we have another Qld Champs in the rotation eventually), so I will make a proper holiday of it and have a sightseeing few days after.

Bring on the warmish weather. Handicap farming starts now.

Welcome aboard Jim, I will ask about the extra days, but I don't see an issue.

Are you driving or flying? I lot of people in Bris might be keen to pay you the new Jetstar tax to courier the bags (I'd suspect)...

Courty
9th June 2017, 03:56 PM
I haven't checked the travel window, but the weekly Jetstar sale starts in 5 minutes!

AndyP
9th June 2017, 04:06 PM
Weekly sale? We have plenty of time then.

benno_r
9th June 2017, 04:19 PM
I haven't checked the travel window, but the weekly Jetstar sale starts in 5 minutes!

I'd be looking at Virgin or Tiger. Just for fun I checked Thursday flights up from Sydney:
Jetstar - $119 + $30 for 30kg + $25 golf club tax = $174
Virgin - $159 inc 23kg
Tiger - $129 + $33 for 25kg = $162

AndyP
9th June 2017, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the Jetstar golf club tax. It has been a while since I have traveled with clubs.

AndyP
9th June 2017, 07:51 PM
No family trip for me since it is outside school holidays. I just need to work which days to come for.

BUSHY
10th June 2017, 12:52 PM
I'm in Fri-Sun definitely, pencil for Monday at this stage, walking where possible. No accommodation required. Looking forward to it.

To comply with the fine print:

Sam Bush
Cairns GC

Bank Deposit will be going in today.

benno_r
10th June 2017, 01:24 PM
I'm in Fri-Sun definitely, pencil for Monday at this stage, walking where possible. No accommodation required. Looking forward to it.
Good stuff bushy. Just try get that hc where it belongs before then... ta! [emoji2]

BUSHY
10th June 2017, 01:26 PM
Good stuff bushy. Just try get that hc where it belongs before then... ta! [emoji2]

Which way?

backintheswing
10th June 2017, 01:36 PM
Bits - sat sun
Jdoggle - sat sun

Not sure on accom yet. Think we will book our own.

Trophy is going in for engraving and a polish

benno_r
10th June 2017, 01:37 PM
Good stuff champ!

benno_r
10th June 2017, 01:38 PM
Which way?
Ha! You post too much in the what did i shoot thread for that to be a difficult answer!

BUSHY
10th June 2017, 01:45 PM
Ha! You post too much in the what did i shoot thread for that to be a difficult answer!

Trying my best...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/536627d45e941cdaec9ab2cefd6a285d.png

benno_r
10th June 2017, 01:47 PM
Trying my best...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/536627d45e941cdaec9ab2cefd6a285d.png
That's what I love about those north of the tweed before champs events. The desire for the handicap to go down...

Dcanto
10th June 2017, 01:47 PM
Can't recall if I have already posted this and I'm too slack to check. Put me down for Friday to Sunday. Anyone who wants a hit on Thursday at Gordonvale let me know as I'll be up for that also.

benno_r
10th June 2017, 01:50 PM
Can't recall if I have already posted this and I'm too slack to check. Put me down for Friday to Sunday. Anyone who wants a hit on Thursday at Gordonvale let me know as I'll be up for that also.
Will do mate, and sounds like Thursday is locked at Gordonvale for those interested. Like me!

BUSHY
10th June 2017, 02:03 PM
That's what I love about those north of the tweed before champs events. The desire for the handicap to go down...

Shots fired [emoji95][emoji379]

AndyP
10th June 2017, 02:20 PM
. No accommodation required.
That's cheating. Any win will now have an asterisk against it.

jimandr
11th June 2017, 01:39 PM
Welcome aboard Jim, I will ask about the extra days, but I don't see an issue.

Are you driving or flying? I lot of people in Bris might be keen to pay you the new Jetstar tax to courier the bags (I'd suspect)...

Benno,

the reason I ask about extra accom days is that you seem to have negotiated a better day rate than is posted on their website. I'd prefer to pay 135 than 160 for extra days.

Regarding question 2, I haven't made a final decision.

Originally, I was inclined to drive (slowly) and drop in at other places on the Coast that I've never been to. But my internet research tells me there isn't much worth seeing between Mackay and Cairns. The attractions all seem to be reef related off the coast rather than on the mainland. And the golf courses, even in Townsville area, barely get a mention by anybody.

The trouble for me with flying is that the direct flights from Gold Coast Airport are at very unfavourable times (either 0600 or 2030), and there doesn't seem much point in driving 3 hours to Brisbane, then parking my car somewhere at skyhigh parking rates and flying from there.

The long drive is still favourite, but not by much. I'm about to ask a question in another thread that may help me make up my mind.

benno_r
11th June 2017, 01:52 PM
Benno,

the reason I ask about extra accom days is that you seem to have negotiated a better day rate than is posted on their website. I'd prefer to pay 135 than 160 for extra days.

Regarding question 2, I haven't made a final decision.

Originally, I was inclined to drive (slowly) and drop in at other places on the Coast that I've never been to. But my internet research tells me there isn't much worth seeing between Mackay and Cairns. The attractions all seem to be reef related off the coast rather than on the mainland. And the golf courses, even in Townsville area, barely get a mention by anybody.

The trouble for me with flying is that the direct flights from Gold Coast Airport are at very unfavourable times (either 0600 or 2030), and there doesn't seem much point in driving 3 hours to Brisbane, then parking my car somewhere at skyhigh parking rates and flying from there.

The long drive is still favourite, but not by much. I'm about to ask a question in another thread that may help me make up my mind.
Yeah i checked it out, i can book it under the group rate.

After sunshine coast, golf pickings get slim.

Maryborough is good, Rocky is ok, Capricorn Resort at Yeppon is great. Mackay is ok, Hamilton is overpriced/overrated. Not much to bet excited about after that until Cairns.

Rascal
11th June 2017, 08:04 PM
Jim parking a Bris airport isn't too pad, paid $120ish for 10 days incl valet when we went to Fiji in april

PeteyD
11th June 2017, 08:25 PM
It is a long way. 1700kms, Further than Melbourne from Brisbane 1675.1

AndyP
13th June 2017, 02:33 PM
I'd be looking at Virgin or Tiger. Just for fun I checked Thursday flights up from Sydney:
Jetstar - $119 + $30 for 30kg + $25 golf club tax = $174
Virgin - $159 inc 23kg
Tiger - $129 + $33 for 25kg = $162
Are Virgin and Tiger okay with the bag being a golf bag?

benno_r
13th June 2017, 02:48 PM
Are Virgin and Tiger okay with the bag being a golf bag?

Virgin definitely OK, no sure about Tiger.

Edit: Tiger appears OK too:

http://www.tigerair.com/sg/en/sports_equipment_check_in.php

jimandr
13th June 2017, 03:23 PM

Four days of rain in a row has given me plenty of time to do some internet searching in order to make a decision.

I'm going to undertake the driving/golfing adventure of a lifetime, with a stopover in the middle in each direction.

My plan at this stage is to leave Ballina Thursday, play golf on the Sunny Coast Friday (probably Palmer Coolum), then make my way to Capricorn Resort for a Sunday game. Much closer to the time I'll post a first tee thread just in case BITS and others can make a game on Sunday Sept 3.

Other stops in Airlie Beach and Townsville should see me arrive in Cairns on Wednesday 6th.

On the way back I'll play it by ear, but make a stopover at Bargara for a Friday game on the 15th.

I'll make sure there is an appropriate selection of driving music on my ipod. I believe a mix of Toby Keith and Public Enemy will do the trick.

benno_r
13th June 2017, 03:56 PM
Four days of rain in a row has given me plenty of time to do some internet searching in order to make a decision.

I'm going to undertake the driving/golfing adventure of a lifetime, with a stopover in the middle in each direction.

My plan at this stage is to leave Ballina Thursday, play golf on the Sunny Coast Friday (probably Palmer Coolum), then make my way to Capricorn Resort for a Sunday game. Much closer to the time I'll post a first tee thread just in case BITS and others can make a game on Sunday Sept 3.

Other stops in Airlie Beach and Townsville should see me arrive in Cairns on Wednesday 6th.

On the way back I'll play it by ear, but make a stopover at Bargara for a Friday game on the 15th.

I'll make sure there is an appropriate selection of driving music on my ipod. I believe a mix of Toby Keith and Public Enemy will do the trick.

Sounds like a good plan Jim. I am likely to be home the weekend before Qld champs, so if you driving through Maryborough can play in Sat comp at Hervey Bay or Maryborough.

Bargara is a top track too, bit of a detour but a top spot as well as course. And you can stop in at Bundaberg distillery (Rum or Ginger beer) on the way home.

Dcanto
13th June 2017, 06:17 PM
Just some information for those considering having a hit at Gordonvale on the Thursday. There is a comp on in case anyone wants to do some last minute handicap farming, so get those tractors warmed up. In fact there may be actual tractors cruising past the course as the sugar-cane harvesting season will be well underway. There will also be the sweet smell of molasses wafting over the course from the local mill - all just part of the attraction at playing 'Royal G' (cue in smartarse comment from Courty in 5..4..3.....).
http://www.gordonvalegolfclub.com.au/
http://www.swingbyswing.com/courses/Australia/Queensland/Cairns/Gordonvale-Golf-Club/43259

With Benno's permisson I'll setup a first tee thread closer to the date. :)

benno_r
13th June 2017, 07:01 PM
Just some information for those considering having a hit at Gordonvale on the Thursday. There is a comp on in case anyone wants to do some last minute handicap farming, so get those tractors warmed up. In fact there may be actual tractors cruising past the course as the sugar-cane harvesting season will be well underway. There will also be the sweet smell of molasses wafting over the course from the local mill - all just part of the attraction at playing 'Royal G' (cue in smartarse comment from Courty in 5..4..3.....).
http://www.swingbyswing.com/courses/Australia/Queensland/Cairns/Gordonvale-Golf-Club/43259

Permission granted, king of Thursdays!

Dcanto
13th June 2017, 09:09 PM
No worries. Just didn't want to steal your thunder.

AndyP
15th June 2017, 01:16 PM
Crisis averted, everyone. There is craft beer in Cairns again. Woohoo!!

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/business/coral-sea-brewing-says-cheers-to-the-region-with-new-beers-that-reflect-the-cairns-lifestyle/news-story/d1e1bb70e3dcef7c2847830b41eb76a9

Dcanto
15th June 2017, 02:43 PM
Crisis averted, everyone. There is craft beer in Cairns again. Woohoo!!

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/business/coral-sea-brewing-says-cheers-to-the-region-with-new-beers-that-reflect-the-cairns-lifestyle/news-story/d1e1bb70e3dcef7c2847830b41eb76a9

The Courtyard - not to be confused with Courty's yard :)

https://www.facebook.com/thecyardcns/

AndyP
15th June 2017, 02:44 PM
Craft beers? Not James Squires, I hope.

Dcanto
15th June 2017, 02:57 PM
Not sure, I mention the Courtyard because it's where Coral Sea Brewing may have some of their products according to local press. Might be worth trying Three Wolves as well for the type of beer you're after. http://www.threewolves.com.au/#Who-we-are-menu

AndyP
15th June 2017, 03:13 PM
Three Wolves definitely got a mention.

KristianJ
15th June 2017, 05:36 PM
Leave form is going in! Planning to fly up on Thur but not sure if it'll be early enough to get in for the Gordonvale round.

AndyP
15th June 2017, 10:08 PM
Virgin definitely OK, no sure about Tiger.

Edit: Tiger appears OK too:

http://www.tigerair.com/sg/en/sports_equipment_check_in.php
I was about to book flights, and the booking lets you select sports equipment without selecting checked in baggage. I thought it strange that it didn't have checked in baggage on the confirmation page, so I have double checked their wording. The problem is the following wording in their baggage section: "If you wish to check-in your sports equipment as baggage, a sports equipment bag fee is levied in addition to standard checked baggage fees."

This makes it the same as Jetstar.

Tiger has $75 flights at the moment, and Jetstar has $79, plus these extra bloody fees. Jetstar up there at $134 still looks good, but I'm getting too tired now to make a call on which to go with, considering price and flight times, as I might do something dumb, so it will have to wait. Damn it! :(

markTHEblake
15th June 2017, 10:18 PM
The trouble for me with flying is that the direct flights from Gold Coast Airport are at very unfavourable times (either 0600 or 2030), and there doesn't seem much point in driving 3 hours to Brisbane, then parking my car somewhere at skyhigh parking rates and flying from there..
look up RACQ airport parking, they might offer a discount to hooligans from interstate autoclubs too,
wont cost much for a few days.

PeteyD
16th June 2017, 06:47 AM
Alpha airport parking is cheap at GC.

AndyP
16th June 2017, 09:48 AM
Flights booked, although I am still confused by the Tiger booking. I put 30kg checked-in baggage, but the golf clubs are only allowed to weigh 20kg.

Arrive in Cairns Airport with Jetstar on Thursday at 11:05am.
Depart with Tiger at 2:15pm on Monday.

Please put me down for all rounds, and all nights accommodation, shared. No cart needed on the days where it is not compulsory. Woot!

benno_r
16th June 2017, 10:02 AM
Flights booked, although I am still confused by the Tiger booking. I put 30kg checked-in baggage, but the golf clubs are only allowed to weigh 20kg.

Arrive in Cairns Airport with Jetstar on Thursday at 11:05am.
Depart with Tiger at 2:15pm on Monday.

Please put me down for all rounds, and all nights accommodation, shared. No cart needed on the days where it is not compulsory. Woot!
Awesome work boss man. We needed some silky smooth swinging, craft beer drinking addition to these champs.

Daves
16th June 2017, 10:15 AM
I am unfortunately not a starter this year. Would have loved to do a FNQ trip, but our son is getting married in September and no trips possible around that time.

Jim,

have a look at BAP (Brisbane Airport Parking), we use them for all our travel. I think it cost us $99 for 10 days undercover on our trip;

http://bap.com.au/

benno_r
16th June 2017, 01:44 PM
Leave form is going in! Planning to fly up on Thur but not sure if it'll be early enough to get in for the Gordonvale round.
Worst case scenario you might get the back 9 in. I hear RG is a mustn't miss location.

I am unfortunately not a starter this year. Would have loved to do a FNQ trip, but our son is getting married in September and no trips possible around that time.

Jim,

have a look at BAP (Brisbane Airport Parking), we use them for all our travel. I think it cost us $99 for 10 days undercover on our trip;

http://bap.com.au/
Shame you can't make it Dave, but it does open the field right up. [emoji2]

Dcanto
16th June 2017, 01:59 PM
Leave form is going in! Planning to fly up on Thur but not sure if it'll be early enough to get in for the Gordonvale round. Last tee off for the comp will be around 12:30pm. Certainly could join for nine if you're interested. What time are you looking at getting in?

solarman
16th June 2017, 02:22 PM
Last tee off for the comp will be around 12:30pm. Certainly could join for nine if you're interested. What time are you looking at getting in?

Yeah, you wouldn't wanna miss that. Worth the 1 hour drive from the airport to play 9 holes at Royal G.

AndyP
16th June 2017, 02:26 PM
Is it one hour to get there? I might struggle with an 11am arrival then.

Dcanto
16th June 2017, 06:44 PM
Is it one hour to get there? I might struggle with an 11am arrival then. At that time of day it won't take an hour. It takes Bob an hour because he drives like my Nonna. I can get from my office which is not far from the airport to GGC in about 35 minutes. They are very easy going at the club so I'm confident we could even tee off as late as 1pm and it will be fine. Once I know who's interested I can see what can be arranged as far as later tee times.

AndyP
16th June 2017, 06:52 PM
Cool. Google had it as 34 minutes.

Do we need to think about hire cars or can we survive with lifts and Uber?

Dcanto
16th June 2017, 07:06 PM
Depending on the timing of when people arrive I could give three maybe four people a lift in my vehicle. Uber is still relatively new to Cairns so I'm not sure if that will be a viable option.

benno_r
16th June 2017, 07:15 PM
Cool. Google had it as 34 minutes.

Do we need to think about hire cars or can we survive with lifts and Uber?
At this stage, between locals, and Jim, Hack and myself, there should be tonnes of lifts up there.

KristianJ
17th June 2017, 12:17 PM
Last tee off for the comp will be around 12:30pm. Certainly could join for nine if you're interested. What time are you looking at getting in? Depends on sales over next few weeks, but I may well end up coming up late on the Wed and seeking a place for the night. To get up there on time on Thur it'd be a bit touch and go, whether it be direct or via Bris.

Courty
17th June 2017, 03:05 PM

Awesome stuff, AP!

AndyP
17th June 2017, 08:58 PM
Awesome stuff, AP!
Even though I don't play golf, I'm excited about it.

benno_r
19th June 2017, 02:37 PM
OK guys, $$$ values are up. Feel free to start trickling deposits in.

Myself and KJ are recips, please let me know if anyone else is:

http://www.cairnsgolfclub.com.au/index.php/golf/reciprocal-clubs

Not sure how much of a saving there is, but you never know.

Plenty of people showed interest in the save the date thread but haven't indicated here. Get on board people!!!

shazza_rs
19th June 2017, 03:06 PM
Nudgee is reciprocal with Cairns too.

Pete is in for all golf.

I'll be chilling out. Might make my camera services available over the champ rounds depending on bubs.

benno_r
19th June 2017, 03:10 PM
Nudgee is reciprocal with Cairns too.

Pete is in for all golf.

I'll be chilling out. Might make my camera services available over the champ rounds depending on bubs.

Excellent - Pete walking, or talking a family cart?

shazza_rs
19th June 2017, 03:29 PM
No carts where they aren't required.

BUSHY
21st June 2017, 02:18 PM

I reckon I could do this Dave, will have to see closer to the day as I'm going o/s the following week.

Dcanto
21st June 2017, 02:42 PM
I reckon I could do this Dave, will have to see closer to the day as I'm going o/s the following week. Cool! I'll look at setting up a first tee thread in the next few days so those interested can start adding their names.

peter_rs
23rd June 2017, 11:42 PM
Flights booked

markTHEblake
28th June 2017, 06:12 PM
anyone thinking of departing on the 7.55pm flight out Sunday night or thereabouts?
VA790 to BNE

Just wondering if its going to be a hassle to get back to Cairns airport in time.

BUSHY
28th June 2017, 07:41 PM
anyone thinking of departing on the 7.55pm flight out Sunday night or thereabouts?
VA790 to BNE

Just wondering if its going to be a hassle to get back to Cairns airport in time.

Paradise Palms to the airport is probably less than 20 minutes on a Sunday evening.

jimandr
12th July 2017, 04:58 PM
When Benno_r issues his usual plea for payments to start arriving, my conscience will be clear, because I've paid mine.

I've made a change to my driving plan, because I've decided it is too difficult to play a game of golf and drive for a number of hours on the same day. So if anyone was planning to join me at Coolum, bad luck, because I've decided to leave that course for another time. Hopefully the course will still be there when that time comes.

But I still have a plan to play Capricorn at Yeppoon on Sunday 3 September, and Bargara on Friday 15 September, staying two days in each location.

benno_r
13th July 2017, 08:17 AM
When Benno_r issues his usual plea for payments to start arriving, my conscience will be clear, because I've paid mine.

I've made a change to my driving plan, because I've decided it is too difficult to play a game of golf and drive for a number of hours on the same day. So if anyone was planning to join me at Coolum, bad luck, because I've decided to leave that course for another time. Hopefully the course will still be there when that time comes.

But I still have a plan to play Capricorn at Yeppoon on Sunday 3 September, and Bargara on Friday 15 September, staying two days in each location.

Money received, and timely bump. Well done Jim.

Still plenty of spots Ozgolfers, and plenty of Cairns sun.

BUSHY
13th July 2017, 07:35 PM
Money received, and timely bump. Well done Jim.

Still plenty of spots Ozgolfers, and plenty of Cairns sun.

I should be all paid up too mate. Went in today I think.

Iain
14th July 2017, 08:05 AM
Looks like I get reciprocal rights at cairns with Pacific also.

BUSHY
17th July 2017, 04:08 PM
I should be all paid up too mate. Went in today I think.

Benno can you confirm this has gone through?

benno_r
18th July 2017, 04:45 AM
Benno can you confirm this has gone through?
Yep, got it. Thanks mate.

Grunt
18th July 2017, 11:15 PM
Enjoy guys, a month too early for me. I get my life back in October/November when the Masters is finished. Who knows once that ends i might become a golf pest again!

Iain
19th July 2017, 08:08 AM
Looks like I get reciprocal rights at cairns with Pacific also.

Did you see this Benno? I'm at Pacific Golf Club, and they get recip's at Cairns.

benno_r
19th July 2017, 08:27 AM
Did you see this Benno? I'm at Pacific Golf Club, and they get recip's at Cairns.
I did mate. I need to confirm some things with Cairns GC as I believe we getting recip rates for everyone already.

Peppas
19th July 2017, 11:18 AM
Just sent money for this today. See you guys in Sept.

AndyP
20th July 2017, 08:59 AM
Just a deposit made at this stage. My son might make a junior footy final that weekend, which might make for a very difficult decision for me. At this stage, they are sitting in 4th, and have lost to all other sides in the top 5, so it doesn't look likely. That said, we think they are capable of beating the other teams on their day, and we play a couple of them over the next few weeks, so that will give a better indication.

Ferrins
21st July 2017, 05:33 PM
Airfares are very reasonable.

KristianJ
25th July 2017, 10:11 AM
Just sent $150 across, Ben. Remainder to come ove next fortnight.

KristianJ
30th July 2017, 10:10 PM
Flight home is locked in. I'm staying an extra day and flying out Tue night, so yet to decide if the Tue day will be sightseeing touristy type of thing or if there's going to be a sixth round of madness.

I'll work out the flight in during this week...still likely to do Wed but not sure how early I'll be getting in.

benno_r
30th July 2017, 10:42 PM
Just sent money for this today. See you guys in Sept.

Got it.

Just a deposit made at this stage. My son might make a junior footy final that weekend, which might make for a very difficult decision for me. At this stage, they are sitting in 4th, and have lost to all other sides in the top 5, so it doesn't look likely. That said, we think they are capable of beating the other teams on their day, and we play a couple of them over the next few weeks, so that will give a better indication.

No worries, let me know

Just sent $150 across, Ben. Remainder to come ove next fortnight.

Got it.

Flight home is locked in. I'm staying an extra day and flying out Tue night, so yet to decide if the Tue day will be sightseeing touristy type of thing or if there's going to be a sixth round of madness.

I'll work out the flight in during this week...still likely to do Wed but not sure how early I'll be getting in.

You want me to extend your accommodation to suit, or you going to organise your own for the extra?

benno_r
30th July 2017, 10:44 PM

Jim, I played Bargara on Thursday. I must say it's in premo nick. A couple of greens are average, but the rest are so good, I would go as far to say they are the best greens I have ever played on in Qld.

KristianJ
30th July 2017, 11:04 PM
You want me to extend your accommodation to suit, or you going to organise your own for the extra? I've just booked the extra elsewhere.

PeteyD
2nd August 2017, 08:27 AM
Despite the fact that my golf is awful at the moment I may make this. Would be Friday-Sunday with Friday and Saturday nights accommodation. Is that available Benno? Would someone be able to pick up at the Airport, I am possibly on the QANTAS at 9:25.

Dcanto
2nd August 2017, 09:26 AM
Despite the fact that my golf is awful at the moment I may make this. Would be Friday-Sunday with Friday and Saturday nights accommodation. Is that available Benno? Would someone be able to pick up at the Airport, I am possibly on the QANTAS at 9:25.

I should be right to pick you up, timing should work in well for after I've done the school / kindy drop-offs.

Courty
2nd August 2017, 09:42 AM
Nice one Petey!

solarman
2nd August 2017, 09:57 AM
I should be right to pick you up, timing should work in well for after I've done the school / kindy drop-offs.

Dave the UBER accountant

Dcanto
2nd August 2017, 10:05 AM
Dave the UBER accountant It's the OZgolf way. :)

Courty
2nd August 2017, 10:14 AM
$1 return fare sale on Tiger.

benno_r
2nd August 2017, 02:58 PM

Yes, Yes, and yes.

Be great for you to join us mate.

mrbluu
3rd August 2017, 11:09 AM
DCan is the offer to pick me up from the airport still available ??:lol:

Dcanto
3rd August 2017, 11:54 AM
DCan is the offer to pick me up from the airport still available ??:lol: Sure. Depending on when you get in you may need to hangout at the airport for a short while if I'm running one of the kids somewhere, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Dcanto
3rd August 2017, 11:55 AM
DCan is the offer to pick me up from the airport still available ??:lol: Are you serious about coming up?

mrbluu
3rd August 2017, 12:13 PM
Are you serious about coming up?I stuffed up the bookings so 10pm Thursday night [emoji16][emoji16]

Dcanto
3rd August 2017, 12:21 PM
I stuffed up the bookings so 10pm Thursday night [emoji16][emoji16] That will be okay. 👍

mrbluu
3rd August 2017, 12:22 PM
That will be okay. [emoji106]Booyah!!!

mrbluu
3rd August 2017, 12:28 PM
That will be okay. [emoji106]Booyah!!!

mrbluu
3rd August 2017, 12:51 PM
That will be okay. [emoji106]Thanks mate.

Dcanto
3rd August 2017, 01:32 PM
Payment made, Benno.

benno_r
3rd August 2017, 01:50 PM
Payment made, Benno.

Outstanding, thanks mate.

Iain
10th August 2017, 08:30 PM
Just paid the rest of mine Benno, also put me down for walking on the Friday and Monday.

KristianJ
10th August 2017, 08:37 PM
Another 200 transferred tonight. Will finalise this time next week.

PeteyD
11th August 2017, 06:32 AM
Sadly I am unable to make it. Have fun everyone.

mike
11th August 2017, 10:05 PM
So yeah anyway bluu talked me into playing on Sunday.

mike
11th August 2017, 10:06 PM
Played 9 holes in 3 years. This will be ... interesting.

Courty
11th August 2017, 10:07 PM
Played 9 holes in 3 years. This will be ... interesting.

You and Haysey [emoji1]

Good to see you back, Mike

mike
11th August 2017, 10:07 PM
Because Paradise Palms is such an easy course. ffs

mike
11th August 2017, 10:08 PM
You and Haysey [emoji1]Good to see you back, MikeYeah hilarious. I thought it was at Cairns.

Courty
11th August 2017, 10:09 PM
Yeah hilarious. I thought it was at Cairns.

Nice.

Want some putting lessons on the practice green? [emoji6]

Dcanto
11th August 2017, 10:15 PM
Yeah hilarious. I thought it was at Cairns. You'll be okay Mike, so long as you don't play in Courty's group. ;)

mrbluu
11th August 2017, 10:17 PM
So yeah anyway bluu talked me into playing on Sunday.He sounds like a cool dude.....[emoji4]

mrbluu
11th August 2017, 10:17 PM
Sadly I am unable to make it. Have fun everyone.Boooo

Dcanto
11th August 2017, 10:56 PM
He sounds like a cool dude.....[emoji4] You just didn't want to be the shortest person at the champs. :)

AndyP
12th August 2017, 08:28 AM
Welcome mike. It looks like there will be a few of us who don't play anymore that can battle it out for 2nd last ahead of solarman.

Steve
12th August 2017, 05:53 PM
Just spent the week in Cairns, played cairns for two days and paradise palms for the last 3. Must say that Cairns GC is in great condition and a treat to play.

benno_r
17th August 2017, 06:37 PM
Sadly I am unable to make it. Have fun everyone.

Boooo. Who's going to do flash JDM now?

So yeah anyway bluu talked me into playing on Sunday.

Welcome aboard Mike, see you Sunday!

LeftyHoges
17th August 2017, 09:36 PM
Aaaaaaaaaand I'm in.

Scratch prize is all mi............ WHAT!?!?!

BITS is playing!?!?!

Ah, fook.

Courty
21st August 2017, 05:35 PM
A few pics of the Champs courses from this past weekend to whet your whistle...

1st at Cairns GC
http://i.imgur.com/3YoRlgu.jpg

14th at Cairns GC
http://i.imgur.com/Z7A6vW9.jpg

1st at Palmer Sea Reef
http://i.imgur.com/ZoFGsDA.jpg

Oh... and there's this :D
http://i.imgur.com/dSZjNGu.png

5th at Paradise Palms
http://i.imgur.com/HCY5TLa.jpg

18th at Paradise Palms
http://i.imgur.com/UUmGLmg.jpg

1st at Half Moon Bay
http://i.imgur.com/LacI0py.jpg

benno_r
22nd August 2017, 03:49 PM
Getting close now. In 2 weeks time I'll be turning north on to the Bruce highway. Stop over in Mackay, and a comp round at Bowen on the way, should be a great weekend.

Need to do a little admin though - I am starting to pay for accommodation, and may need to drop deposits for golf, so a friendly reminder to all to get the rest of your monies in. As an incentive/disincentive, last person to pay gets to spoon with Solarman on the Cairns GC "love hammock".

LeftyHoges
22nd August 2017, 06:59 PM
Getting close now. In 2 weeks time I'll be turning north on to the Bruce highway. Stop over in Mackay, and a comp round at Bowen on the way, should be a great weekend.

Need to do a little admin though - I am starting to pay for accommodation, and may need to drop deposits for golf, so a friendly reminder to all to get the rest of your monies in. As an incentive/disincentive, last person to pay gets to spoon with Solarman on the Cairns GC "love hammock".Looks like I'll be last to pay then....

Yummy.

PeteyD
22nd August 2017, 07:53 PM
I don't think it is intended to be a prize Leftyspoon;)

BUSHY
22nd August 2017, 08:55 PM
[emoji855] 🤢

peter_rs
22nd August 2017, 09:21 PM
This could be fun.

Everything is booked.

A week in cairns

Ferrins
24th August 2017, 09:29 AM
Anyone from Townsville going to this?

AndyP
24th August 2017, 09:49 AM
My son's footy team lost their first final, so there is no difficult decision for me to make. Full payment made.

I guess I should check if my clubs are still in the garage.

Courty
24th August 2017, 10:08 AM
My son's footy team lost their first final, so there is no difficult decision for me to make. Full payment made.

I guess I should check if my clubs are still in the garage.

Excellent news!

AndyP
24th August 2017, 10:47 AM
Excellent news!
The players in tears after the final disagree.

LeftyHoges
24th August 2017, 10:51 AM
The players in tears after the final disagree.Character building.

ESPECIALLY if there was no participation certificate.

Ferrins
24th August 2017, 04:23 PM
Lefty table?

LeftyHoges
24th August 2017, 05:02 PM
Lefty table?Possibly, but it'll only be named that because I'm passed out under it.

Courty
24th August 2017, 06:04 PM
The weather is looking good... no winter chills!

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/lifestyle/mercury-spikes-in-cairns-as-northern-australia-records-historic-heat/news-story/db72a84c38291650a1c04f279af37a43

Dcanto
24th August 2017, 06:32 PM
The weather is looking good... no winter chills!http://www.cairnspost.com.au/lifestyle/mercury-spikes-in-cairns-as-northern-australia-records-historic-heat/news-story/db72a84c38291650a1c04f279af37a43 Better order in more sunscreen for Lefty.

peter_rs
24th August 2017, 07:00 PM
Better then Melbourne

KristianJ
24th August 2017, 07:12 PM
Better order in my sunscreen for Lefty.

1. LeftyHoges
2. KJ

shazza_rs
25th August 2017, 10:10 AM
Alright. Chuck me in for the Saturday and Sunday rounds please Benno. Send Pete the bill :)

benno_r
25th August 2017, 10:17 AM
Alright. Chuck me in for the Saturday and Sunday rounds please Benno. Send Pete the bill :)

I'll enjoy doing both those things. Welcome aboard!

Is Pete now in the race with Lefty for the last paying Solarman love hammock race?

shazza_rs
25th August 2017, 10:27 AM
They are both gingers so Solarman will win either way ;)

mrbluu
25th August 2017, 08:16 PM
Paid in full [emoji16]

SundayHack
25th August 2017, 10:42 PM
Hopefully can confirm tomorrow I'm a starter....
Please leave me off any park runs though.

oldracer
26th August 2017, 10:32 AM
But what about Frank?

LeftyHoges
26th August 2017, 10:42 AM
But what about Frank?He only streaks....

oldracer
26th August 2017, 05:39 PM
He only streaks.... Flames and streaks 😳

AndyP
28th August 2017, 12:25 PM
I haven't played a comp round since May 2016, and my second last comp round was round two of the 2016 Qld Champs. My handicap is 6.1 and my last flagged round was June 2015.

I think it is best if I lose all expectations on my ability to play golf for next week.

jimandr
30th August 2017, 06:41 PM
I haven't played a comp round since May 2016, and my second last comp round was round two of the 2016 Qld Champs. My handicap is 6.1 and my last flagged round was June 2015.

I think it is best if I lose all expectations on my ability to play golf for next week.

I haven't played a comp round since this afternoon, and my second last comp round was the Wednesday previous. My handicap is 4.8 (yikes!) and my last flagged round was also this afternoon.

I'm a home track hero, so my expectations on my ability to play golf anywhere near my handicap are quite low. I may be some chance if the North Qld fairways have 50 metres of run, like those at Ballina.

Lagerlover
30th August 2017, 07:25 PM
I'm rooting for you Jim

wazamac
30th August 2017, 08:28 PM
I'm rooting for you Jim

Someone's a lucky boy!

Lagerlover
30th August 2017, 08:55 PM
Not at the moment, obviously

KristianJ
31st August 2017, 08:04 AM
My last hundred has just been transferred. Can't wait!!!

BUSHY
31st August 2017, 08:57 AM
My last hundred has just been transferred. Can't wait!!!

Whoop!! Not long now.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170830/d137653bcc5277400429ceac03fc276f.heic

Iain
31st August 2017, 11:14 AM
Apologies, I'm going to have to withdraw. Not making the trip to Cairns now.

LeftyHoges
31st August 2017, 01:58 PM
Booooooourns Iain!!!

Shit. I'd better pay for this, I guess.....

AndyP
31st August 2017, 04:08 PM
Apologies, I'm going to have to withdraw. Not making the trip to Cairns now.
Oh no! Is everything okay?

peter_rs
31st August 2017, 05:53 PM
Sorry to hear it was going to be a nice catch up, hope the family is ok

LeftyHoges
31st August 2017, 11:02 PM
Aaaaaaand paid.

Did I win the weekend with Solarman?

PeteyD
1st September 2017, 07:17 AM
Aaaaaaand paid.

Did I win the weekend with Solarman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_zzCLLRvE

jimandr
1st September 2017, 09:41 AM
I'm on my way, hopefully from misery to happiness today.

Hervey Bay tonight, then Yeppoon for the weekend, including Capricorn on Sunday for the last warmup before the real warmup.

benno_r
3rd September 2017, 08:11 PM
I'm on my way, hopefully from misery to happiness today.

Hervey Bay tonight, then Yeppoon for the weekend, including Capricorn on Sunday for the last warmup before the real warmup.

How is Capricorn looking Jim? I imagine is fairly dry, greens holding up?

benno_r
3rd September 2017, 08:26 PM
OK, last adjustments made - Iain unfortunately out, money recieved from KJ and Lefty. Only some locals to finalise the moneys.

On the accommodation front:
Jim, Peppas, and myself in the solo rooms.

AndyP and KJ in the long term twin - Thurs to Monday, Lefty and Bluu in the short term twin Friday to Monday (but lefty gets all the tiles to himself Sunday night).

Courty will chime in soon with evenings entertainment.

Putting comp will be approx 30min prior to 1st group on Saturday, so get there early enough for your warmup as well.

Total prize pool (minus trophies) is just shy of $650. Will announce spilt shortly. Long drive and 3x NTP with ball prizes also in each round.

jimandr
3rd September 2017, 09:11 PM
How is Capricorn looking Jim? I imagine is fairly dry, greens holding up?

Everywhere I have been has been dry. Even Miriam Vale which is the only course I could see from the road.

The grass cover is thin but playable on the fairways but the greens were disappointingly spongy and slow.

The front nine didn't thrill me much but I loved the back nine.

LeftyHoges
4th September 2017, 12:11 PM
So G'vale is a capped round.

Any others likely to be? Asking for a friend who needs to get out to 4 by October.

Dcanto
4th September 2017, 12:25 PM
So G'vale is a capped round.Any others likely to be? Asking for a friend who needs to get out to 4 by October. Comps on Saturday and Sunday so I believe. ;)

LeftyHoges
4th September 2017, 12:31 PM
Comps on Saturday and Sunday so I believe. ;)Noice. My friend will be very pleased.

AndyP
5th September 2017, 07:13 PM
I'm off to a good start for the golf weekend, even though it is a couple of days away.

I pulled the clubs out of the cupboard to charge the devices that I carry, and make sure the essentials were there. While I was at it, I thought I would tidy up the golf cupboard, and came across a bunch of new iron covers, that I didn't even know that I had. Sure, half of them will fall off over the weekend, but at the start of the weekend the irons will look snazzy AF.

Lagerlover
5th September 2017, 07:16 PM
Any clicgear attachments AP?

Worth a fortune

Courty
5th September 2017, 08:31 PM
FYI, evening arrangements in a new thread here (https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/52009-2017-QLD-Champs-evening-arrangements)!

jimandr
6th September 2017, 03:43 PM
I made it.

Got to Cairns, found the Bay Village and they were expecting me. So one tick already. I am in room 232. It is fairly basic but everything seems to work.

Not much is supplied so I am off to the supermarket for some milk and other semi essentials.

The wifi is free and working so that is another tick.

benno_r
6th September 2017, 03:53 PM
We sometimes run a tight ship Jim.

Except occasional room sharing snafus, and weather related bastardtry.

Peppas
6th September 2017, 04:20 PM
I'm bringing clean clubs along. Gave them a scrub to make sure I got thru customs this morning, dude didn't even want to look at them.

KristianJ
6th September 2017, 06:24 PM
Hello FNQ!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170906/bdb105a8f71d2fd552d2feeccecca613.jpg

KristianJ
6th September 2017, 06:48 PM
And hello mozzies...FFS. :lol:

Steve
6th September 2017, 07:04 PM
Welcome KJ

Steve
6th September 2017, 07:07 PM
Wait till the southern folk see the warning signs at Cairns GC

KristianJ
6th September 2017, 07:09 PM
Wait till the southern folk see the warning signs at Cairns GCI'm expecting to see bits of the course and remember that I have seen them in the best of Solarman video series...

jimandr
6th September 2017, 07:40 PM
We sometimes run a tight ship Jim.

Except occasional room sharing snafus, and weather related bastardtry.

If there is weather related bastardry people will be hard to please. The forecast is sunny and 29 for the next 7 days. Every day.

I am in the RSL club enjoying their wifi and food. The balinese place at the resort had a queue to get in.

KristianJ
6th September 2017, 07:45 PM
Jim, any indication of how late their bistro is open? I'm almost at my accommodation and I don't quite feel like resorting to Maccas for eats.

BUSHY
6th September 2017, 07:45 PM
I'm expecting to see bits of the course and remember that I have seen them in the best of Solarman video series...

From completely different holes too.

wazamac
6th September 2017, 07:49 PM
Good luck to everyone and enjoy.

Wishing I was there to defend my NAGA title. :cry:

BUSHY
6th September 2017, 07:52 PM
Jim, any indication of how late their bistro is open? I'm almost at my accommodation and I don't quite feel like resorting to Maccas for eats.

http://www.cairnsrsl.com.au/bistro.html

Normally open to at least 9 from memory.

oldracer
6th September 2017, 08:00 PM
I made it. Got to Cairns, found the Bay Village and they were expecting me. So one tick already. I am in room 232. It is fairly basic but everything seems to work. Not much is supplied so I am off to the supermarket for some milk and other semi essentials.The wifi is free and working so that is another tick. So room service booked up to 232 Jim??? Woohoo

3Puttpete
6th September 2017, 08:02 PM
So room service booked up to 232 Jim??? Woohoo

Don't mess with Jim's room. You'll be put on the list

jimandr
6th September 2017, 08:05 PM
http://www.cairnsrsl.com.au/bistro.html

Normally open to at least 9 from memory.

Yes. 9pm. If you make it I am sitting in front of the TV showing the cricket and enjoying a Tooheys Old. The Spice Girls were on the music PA but it is now Frankie Valli. Life is good.

Courty
6th September 2017, 08:18 PM

UberEats is your friend. ;)

PeteyD
7th September 2017, 05:51 AM
Good luck all. Wish I was there. Weather looks like shit so you will have a great time!

Steve
7th September 2017, 06:14 AM
Yes, good golfing to you all. And remember to the best way to play paradise palms is from the club house

SundayHack
7th September 2017, 11:29 AM
I am a confirmed late starter for both weekend rounds.

mrbluu
7th September 2017, 05:54 PM
I'm on my way!!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170907/d0725d8604441e6fc684136a6c465d5e.jpg

mike
7th September 2017, 08:29 PM
Sorry all I'm no chance of making this.

Courty
8th September 2017, 07:58 AM
I am a confirmed late starter for both weekend rounds.

Awesome!

Sorry all I'm no chance of making this.

Not awesome.

AndyP
10th September 2017, 03:14 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170910/eb325a6b2e0214714a782253746b991f.jpg
2017 Champion - LeftyHoges

3Puttpete
10th September 2017, 03:47 PM
[emoji122] congrats lefty

oldracer
10th September 2017, 03:50 PM
Lefteeeeeeeeeeee woohoo, u know this means no more monday champion, well done

LeftyHoges
10th September 2017, 03:52 PM
[emoji122] congrats leftyThanks Pete!!!

LeftyHoges
10th September 2017, 03:53 PM
Lefteeeeeeeeeeee woohoo, u know this means no more monday champion, well doneHappy to give that up Al, pass the baton to someone else. ;-)

SundayHack
10th September 2017, 03:54 PM
Congrats Lefty. Good to see that I taught you something at Vic champs this year... that was that CC and Dry is in fact the breakfast of champions. Quality effort.

3Puttpete
10th September 2017, 03:56 PM
Who won the gross?

LeftyHoges
10th September 2017, 03:57 PM
Congrats Lefty. Good to see that I taught you something at Vic champs this year... that was that CC and Dry is in fact the breakfast of champions. Quality effort.Cheers Aaron, and you're definitely right mate. I won't forget it, I've had the heartburn all day from the dry ginger to remember it by!!!

SundayHack
10th September 2017, 03:59 PM
Cheers Aaron, and you're definitely right mate. I won't forget it, I've had the heartburn all day from the dry ginger to remember it by!!! The heartburn is all part of the experience.

jimandr
10th September 2017, 04:23 PM
Happy to give that up Al, pass the baton to someone else. ;-)

Hopefully the Monday baton will be passed to me.

Still no prizes for me and I wasn't even leader in my group at any stage. At least I got to play with the winner on Saturday but I don't have the Iron constitution that allows good players to stay out and drink to 3.30 and then win later the same morning. That does seem to be the winning formula.

Well played Lefty, in all respects.

PeteyD
10th September 2017, 06:22 PM
Nice one Lefty. Place at the Table! ;)

BUSHY
10th September 2017, 06:26 PM
“We’re the Eagles, we’re flying high”

Nice win Lefty. Thats 2 solid rounds of golf and a great weekend all round.

Lagerlover
10th September 2017, 07:13 PM
the Iron constitution that allows good players to stay out and drink to 3.30 and then win later the same morning. That does seem to be the winning formula. .It's a gift.

Toxic
10th September 2017, 07:50 PM
Do we have a breakdown of scores lads?

benno_r
10th September 2017, 08:24 PM
Snap shot of results spreadsheet below. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170910/118448f603196754d8d5dd2e2db48747.jpg

Lagerlover
10th September 2017, 08:35 PM
13 points today Bushy?

AndyP
10th September 2017, 08:48 PM
13 points today Bushy?
The most flushed 13 point game ever.

BUSHY
11th September 2017, 02:59 AM
13 points today Bushy?

Yes. That’s not a typo.

The most flushed 13 point game ever.

And had an awesome time doing it. I’ve now set the bar very low so I can always go better.

Ned
11th September 2017, 06:29 AM

Lucasto23
11th September 2017, 07:18 AM
Great win lefty

wazamac
11th September 2017, 04:52 PM
Well done to Lefty and all of the daily winners. Looks like it was a good time.

jimandr
11th September 2017, 05:20 PM
I just compiled a long post thanking everybody for making the NQ version of the Qld Champs a huge success but the forum software rejected it. Maybe it is programmed to block compliments to Benno_r and Courty, or maybe just Solarman.

So a long version can wait until I get
Home but the short version is that I enjoyed almost every minute ( except for some of the really garbage golf holes we played ).

peter_rs
11th September 2017, 05:39 PM
Great effort to all

benno_r
11th September 2017, 08:54 PM
I have finally reached my stopover in Townsville for the night, so figured I'd post a bit of a wrap up.

First of all is Congrats to Lefty for a weekend of steadily good golf to run down the last group on Sunday. Bad luck to BITS, Peppas, Sundayhack and Toots.

Secondly, I must thank Courty for the assistance over the weekend - accommodation reccies, course help, trophies, course guides, spreadsheets etc. Certainly made my life easier, thanks again mate!

Thirdly, thanks Cairns for not raining.

Fourthly, thanks everyone who made the effort to join us. Lefty from Vic, MrBluu, Peppas, KJ, and Jimandr from NSW, and everyone from Brisbane and other parts of Qld, certainly put in the miles to get there.

Myself - I played pretty poorly, but had a tonne of fun, played 8 courses in the last 7 days, with a tonne of different people. Thanks to you all - Bushy, Jim, AndyP, DCanto, Solarman, Lefty, Courty, Peppas, and MrBluu. I had a cracking game in Mackay on the way up, which lulled me into a false sense of security - after which I chopped it hard most days.

Speaking of chopping, our NAGA did a top job of it. But I must say, I played with Bushy twice, and while it was obvious he was struggling big time with his swing, he took it in his stride, kept his cool (when it didn't deserve to be kept), and just kept plugging away and having a laugh. Full credit mate, even if the results weren't there.

Hoping to organise something even better next year, hope as many of the team from this year can make, plus a few more. I can only speak for myself when I say I had a cracking time.

Dcanto
11th September 2017, 09:25 PM
Thanks Benno and Courty for your fantstic efforts. Very much appreciated. I had a fantastic time.

Congrats to Lefty, a rightful champion. How you play so well on so little sleep is one of the mysteries of the modern world. 😁

Thanks to all those who travelled from afar to help make this event what it was. Lefty, Bluu, Peppas, KJ, Jim, Pete, Shaz, Andy and Benno. Also to those closer to Cairns (but still a decent drive) SundayHack, BITS and Jdog. Great to catch up with you all and meet some for the first time. Apologies if I have missed anyone.

It was great to also catch up with Bushy, Courty, Haysey, Solarman and Toots. Even though we all live in the same town we don't always see each other as regularly as you my think (or maybe too regularly for some).

Personal highlights for the last few days was a win in the Banana Cup with Solarman as my partner and also watching Bushy go off at the Casino when West Coast won. Even the security guys were laughing.

Thanks again and hopefully I'll be making it to the 2018 edition. Cheers.

3Puttpete
11th September 2017, 09:33 PM
Personal highlights for the last few days was a win in the Banana Cup with Solarman as my partner

Not enough has been made of what may be the greatest effort in Ozgolf history.

Lots have won champs, none have won anything with Solarman as a partner.

Well done to you!

Dcanto
11th September 2017, 09:41 PM
Not enough has been made of what may be the greatest effort in Ozgolf history. Lots have won champs, none have won anything with Solarman as a partner. Well done to you!Thanks 3PP. Solarman is not that bad, it's just his golf is like a schizophrenic ice addict. You never know what's coming next. Watching him nearly birdie the hardest hole at Paradise Palms for a 5 pointer, I thought I had entered the twilight zone.🙃 Bob did play well at Cairns so of course it genuinely was a team effort - thanks partner. I'm also thankful he didn't discriminate against me. :)

LeftyHoges
12th September 2017, 05:55 AM
Gotta "well done" and high 5 from the baggage scanner at Cairns airport who spotted Dunc in my suitcase....

AndyP
12th September 2017, 06:00 AM
That's excellent.

LeftyHoges
12th September 2017, 06:11 AM
Pilot Joanna Parker sounds hawt!!!!

benno_r
12th September 2017, 06:51 AM
Pilot Joanna Parker sounds hawt!!!!No need to thank the organisers for teeing up a fitting fairwell.

SundayHack
12th September 2017, 07:29 PM
Home from another cracker champs weekend away. Thanks to Benno and Courty for organising another well run event. Glad I was able to talk the missus in a last minute trip to Cairns.
Thanks to DCanto for driving myself to and from each of the days golf. I was able to take the fam yesterday to Hartleys croc farm which you recommended and they loved it.
Good to see everyone who I have met before but also good to met Bhin and Bushy for the first times.
Congrats to Lefty on the win. Quality effort after the big night out with Bush and Andy. As soon as I saw you with that CC I thought you meant business.
Hope to see everyone again next year.

KristianJ
13th September 2017, 12:09 AM
Great 6 days up north! I enjoyed not just the golf, the company and the eat/drink/be merry aspect, but Cairns as a whole...even if I didn't extend my CBD stays until the following morning. The extra day I stayed was well worth it, and even then there was stuff I could have done that I didn't get around to doing.

Benno/Courty, super effort! Accommodation was very reasonable, the choices of dinner venues generally outstanding, weather near perfect (Captain Moonballs will never conquer the wind), courses on the whole very good, Cairns GC is a great track and I'd be more than happy playing there every week.

Congrats to Lefty on his performance. Pre this Champs all I ever really got to see of his game was an opening tee shot and perhaps a glance from other fairways, but in 3 out of the 5 rounds with him I learned a hell of a lot just seeing how he goes about the game.

Thanks to Jim for allowing me to occupy the front passenger seat in his car...very, very much appreciated.

Playing partners...few I'd played with before, few that I hadn't. All great company. DCanto, Peter_rs x3, Courty x2, Haysey x2, Lefty x3, mrbluu, Jimandr, Solarman, Jazzdog x2, Benno.

Biggest memories...Solarman's miracle on 11 at Sea Reef, Lefty's putt on 7 @ PP, $10 jugs of Heineken.

Looking forward to seeing how some of the discussion comes together for 2018!

mrbluu
13th September 2017, 08:42 PM
First of all thanks to Benno and Courty for all the organising, great effort lads.

Thanks DCanto for driving me around and giving me the tour guide treatment and for letting me crash at his place on Thursday.

Thanks to all my playing partners and drinking & eating buddies too!!

These weekends are all about catching up with old friends and meeting new ones like Sundayhack (thanks for being my car buddy and making sure I didn't go thirsty on any of the trips....I owe u a few shouts mate), Bushy (I agree with Dcanto that watching Bushy go nutts at the casino was special) and even Solarman :).

Congrats to my roomy Lefty for his win. To come from behind in Sunday's round after getting home at 3.30am was a great effort mate!!!

My shitty game and the grainy greens got the better of me on both Friday and Saturday but I was please to bounce back with a decent score on Sunday.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed to see if I can make next year's trip.