PDA

View Full Version : Golf Club selection

Mayborn
4th June 2017, 05:59 PM
One of my goals this year was to join a golf club, obtain a handicap and potentially start competing in weekly comps. As we are now half way through the year and I have yet to join one, I thought it high time to get serious. I do however have some questions about selecting a club and whether it is the right time. I have been constantly playing at least 9 holes a week since the start of the year, as well as lessons roughly once a month. I have developing confidence, but i still have a lot to work on in all aspects of the game. I am taking this journey alone, so it has been a daunting process. I know I could answer all these questions, but I thought I would put it out there to more knowledgeable people.

How does one select a golf club, is it typically based on proximity, membership costings and course enjoyment?

The course I like the look of has some slight aspects that I don't like, such as a share fairway with a driving range.

When do you typically want to considering getting a handicap?

I seldom keep score now, as I am building enjoyment for the game.

Am I ready to start to start competitive golf, or am I going to just be burden to the pace of play on a comp day?

I have a slight anxiety of miss hit balls, and learning the golfing conventions and etiquette.

Grumpy8
4th June 2017, 06:59 PM
Proximity, cost and playability in my opinion . I wouldn't be concerned about if you are good enough , you will be surprised how crap most comp golfers are . If you are shooting 50 for 9 holes you can get and play to a handicap
Just do it

wazamac
9th June 2017, 01:30 PM
You will learn more about the etiquette and rules by joining a club.
Most golf clubs will have something you don't like so travel. Around your vicinity and join the one that you feel most welcomed at.
At a lot of clubs the Manager will give you a game as a guest.

Most importantly, don't worry about making mistakes or a high score. That is what handicaps are for.
Stableford is probably the most common game and you just pick up after you can't score a point.

Lagerlover
9th June 2017, 02:08 PM
...always go at least one more