PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Par" event and how to play.

markTHEblake
25th June 2006, 09:07 AM
Not sure what to think of the par format. It's quite frustrating while playing it, as it seems so harsh to be marking a minus for a bogey
Par is dead set the hardest game of all the adaptations. No rewards for good holes & very hard to get the lost shots back.

Most people do not know what a "Par" event is, nor do they understand the strategy behind it. If you did, you probably would enjoy it much more, as i do. I wished there were more of them.

"Par" sometimes also called "Bogey" is in fact playing matchplay against the golf course.

The scoring format is identical, you either Win, Lose, or Halve the hole.

To say that a golfer is not rewarded for a nett eagle on a hole is the same as saying a golfer is not rewarded in matchplay for winning a hole by 2 or more strokes. On the other hand a golfer is not penalised severely for a poor hole, as he is in stroke and to a lesser extent Stableford.

Here's a couple of examples of Matchplay/Par strategy. On my home course there are a couple of par 5's that I can reach in 2 easily. In a Par event I get a handicap stroke on these two holes or in Matchplay my opponent has hit into the water. No way do I take any risk on this hole no matter what. I strategically play out the hole by laying up and taking the water out of play, take no risks and win the hole. (as opposed to a stroke or stableford, no doubt i am wanting to make birdie here)

In both cases If i was to accidentally hit my pitch close to like 4 foot, I can guarantee that the next putt will not be going past the hole. Makes the game so much easier.

How many times have you seen someone 3 putt from 6 foot for a Half becuase they were fixated on making a birdie instead of focussing on having a tap in for the next putt to win the hole? These are the people at your club that have no idea about Par events and whinge about them.

On the other hand in both Par and Matchplay if you are already 1 behind on a hole because you took a penalty or whatever you now have the opportunity to take risks that you wouldnt normally take - as you can only lose "one" and you already lost it anyway.

There you can see, Matchplay and Par (Bogey) are identical. Next time you get the opportunity to play in a Par event, take it on as a Matchplay against the Par of the course (including your handicap according to the index), and let us know if that changed your enjoyment of the event - especially how you played holes that you normally find easy "3 pointers" because you have 1 or 2 shots on it.

Grunt
25th June 2006, 09:10 AM
Thank you,
I think you may have given me the mental image of the Par game Mark. I am pretty solid with matchplay and if I take this attitude to the golf course for a par event I might be able to get the same result.

goughy
25th June 2006, 09:56 AM
I can't say I disliked the format, but that does bring it into a whole new light for me. Still wouldn't have stopped me going 6 down, but I still enjoyed myself.

Fishman Dan
25th June 2006, 11:00 AM
Thank you,
I think you may have given me the mental image of the Par game Mark. I am pretty solid with matchplay and if I take this attitude to the golf course for a par event I might be able to get the same result.

Good wrap Blake.

It's just golf Grunt, you just need to go out and hit the ball, the matchplay likeness is just the scoring. I.e. - The course is always going to make the same score every hole, you have to beat it, unlike a matchplay opponent who may stuff up a hole allowing you to win with a double....

I don't mind it, except no one picks up when they have lost a hole (to the course), therefore it's no quicker, and there's no (mental) reward for making a birdie/+ (instead of 4 points for us hackers) when you jag one.

Matt 3 Jab
25th June 2006, 12:41 PM
I hate it, im more of a hit and miss golfer, i take risks, its just the way i play, matchplay or stroke, if im playing matchplay and the guy hits it in the water, i try and blast it 270+ down the middle just to show that i'll win the hole myself. Par doesnt reward my type of play, and im not going to change the way i play for an event, not that i play alot anyway, but par is always a no no for me.

Choppa
25th June 2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah Mark, that is a good way to look at it.

You are right too Fishy, we didn't really pick up too much after losing the hole. I guess the mindset is different to playing a matchplay. Or at least, our's was yesterday.

It's funny, because when you think logically about it, it's not that much different from other formats that I play, and enjoy, however I just couldn't get into it yesterday. I did enjoy the game, I just counldn't get into the scoring.
For example I had a 4 foot birdie putt, and I also had a shot on that hole. So I didn't really care about making the putt, which I missed, and I just took a 2 putt par. I won the hole, but it just didn't get me excited like making a par would in a stroke round.

Next time I am going to go in with a matchplay mindset like MTB suggests, and see whether that makes the scoring side more enjoyable.

connico
25th June 2006, 12:45 PM
dont really mind par, iv only played once and while i walked off with a +3.. i know i could have played better, but as matt said, taking risks is apart of his game, its also a part of mine!

goughy
25th June 2006, 02:33 PM
If we had been holding up play I have no doubt we would have picked up more. But we were also out to have fun, and we did. We daudled a bit and enjoyed the company. And we finished out holes when out of it. But we were also the last group and we weren't holding up the next groupings of tee times.

markTHEblake
25th June 2006, 02:53 PM
I don't mind it, except no one picks up when they have lost a hole (to the course),
Now that is really poor ettiquette - doesnt matter if its Par or Stableford (if it is affecting speed of play). A lot of clubs would not tolerate that at all.

Historically (like 2-300 years ago), Golf was played as Matchplay only, there were no Tournaments you just played against the other guys in your group. In fact they did not even calculate the gross score on each hole. They just worked out the status based on "odds" and "evens" to keep track of how you stood against your opponent during play of a hole. It worked on the premise that any golfer who hit 2 shots in a row is 1 stroke behind. This is why the farthest from the hole always hits first and the principal of Honour on the next tee. (I'll see if i can dig up a better explanation than that)

After Stroke was invented to allow competittions to be played it created a huge burden as every golfer now had to complete every hole - this had never happened before. As golf became more popular Clubs needed to find a way to speed up play, so the "Bogey" (par) comp was invented which is a simple derivative of Matchplay.

Stableford was only invented somewhere around 60 years ago, by some bloke who felt that there needed to be some reward for a 1 over par on a really tough hole, hence 1 point.

These days for lots of reasons (mostly logistical) we just dont get to enjoy playing and watching Matchplay anymore. A Bogey/Par competition is as close as regular golfers can get to the purest form of golf.

Fishman Dan
25th June 2006, 02:57 PM
Christ - i knew you were old, but not that old.

Jarro
25th June 2006, 03:08 PM
I don't like the format at all.

.. and i don't give a rat's what anyone says ... it BITES :p

3oneday
25th June 2006, 06:29 PM
I don't like the format at all.

.. and i don't give a rat's what anyone says ... it BITES :pI hate doing this........

I agree :p

Jarro
25th June 2006, 06:54 PM
I hate doing this........

I agree :p

if it makes you feel any better, i'm a bit uneasy with your agreeance as well :-s

McMw
25th June 2006, 08:19 PM
I thought golf comp is about playing the best that you can...and not whinge about it... who cares if u don't get an extra point in a par...do you really think thatyou're not the only one who's lost out??? :confused:

in the end - your gross score should give you the satisfaction... :mrgreen:

3oneday
25th June 2006, 09:52 PM
I thought golf comp is about playing the best that you can...and not whinge about it... who cares if u don't get an extra point in a par...do you really think thatyou're not the only one who's lost out??? :confused:

in the end - your gross score should give you the satisfaction... :mrgreen:That's a wank....

"one" of the reasons I play golf is to get my handicap down, a par event is not conducive to that. Can't see how that confuses you... but then, I can :roll:

PeteyD
25th June 2006, 09:53 PM
Feeling dirty Jarro? ;)

McMw
25th June 2006, 11:38 PM
at the end of the day, your low gross score should give you enough to feel good/bad about your game..

I don't care too much par/stableford becoz there's always a bailout...you play a bad hole, it doesn't count...full gross score is what counts (to me)...

so at the end of the day, when you calc that scorecard, that gross score should be enough motivation enough to get back out there... :mrgreen:

AndyP
26th June 2006, 08:25 AM
Armed with the information that Blakey has supplied above, I would have played every shot exactly the same.........

Moe Norman
26th June 2006, 09:08 AM
i quite like the format, but then again I love matchplay and couldn't give a rats about my hcp.

Flowergirl
26th June 2006, 03:42 PM
I actually enjoy playing par and I do play it the same as matchplay. When I know I don't have to make the putt I'll play it safe and when I know I have to make the shot I'll play it more aggressively. I usually have better results when I play par.
I'm with you Blakey - on this one:twisted:

Andrew
26th June 2006, 04:29 PM
Great write up, Blakey.

The term ‘par’ wasn’t widely used until the beginning of the 20th century, having only been first used in the 1870’s. Bogey was the best average score for a ‘first-class’ golfer & was generally a few strokes more than ‘par’.

Handicaps didn’t begin to be officially kept until 1881. Previous to this, stroke allowances in matches would be agreed upon by the players involved or by the club.

Stroke events were rare, & is why the British Open was only fought out between 10 –15 golfers most years for the first 20 years of its life.

Stableford came into being in 1932 with:
Bogey/Par - 2 pts
1 over - 1 pt
1 under - 3 pts
2 under - 4 pts
3 under - 5 pts

It was modified a few years later to the point scoring system we know today.

Melbourne clubs play far more Par events than Sydney clubs. I would prefer to play Par than many of those novelty events they have these days.

AndyP
26th June 2006, 04:29 PM
How do you play it safe with a putt?
Aim not to get it in?

Moe Norman
26th June 2006, 04:33 PM
if you're above the hole, its very easy to 'play it safe'

3oneday
26th June 2006, 04:55 PM
Aim not to get it in?sort of defeats the purpose in my opinion. Why have a crack on a shot hole for birdie when you can only pick up one shot on your handicap.

I can certainly see both sides of it, twice I have shot even par in a versus par and had +2 (off 4) so to me I am penalised. Each to their own.

Pete

Moe Norman
26th June 2006, 07:33 PM
so when you play matchplay are you concerned when you win the first hole by two shots and only go one up?

markTHEblake
26th June 2006, 08:35 PM
Aim not to get it in?

Have you ever 3 putted from 4 feet?
(obviously yes)
Was it because you left your first putt short
(most likely no)

Imagine you have 2 putts from 4 feet for a win (whether it be matchplay or a Par event) and its a slightly downhill putt with a smidgin of break.

Which of the following putts would you think is the best strategy?

a) stroke it firmly into the centre of the cup
b) lag it towards the hole
c) tap your putt so that the ball finishes about 2-3 inches short of the hole.

terryand
26th June 2006, 09:03 PM
A

McMw
26th June 2006, 09:08 PM
what would Adam Scott do??? :mrgreen:

AndyP
27th June 2006, 01:06 AM
D - Surely the opponent/course would concede the hole.

What Terry said.

3oneday
27th June 2006, 01:17 AM
so when you play matchplay are you concerned when you win the first hole by two shots and only go one up?not playing matchplay, I'm playing a singles club event, where the course chooses where it gets a shot instead of playing me stroke :p

:)

markTHEblake
27th June 2006, 08:29 AM
D - Surely the opponent/course would concede the hole.

What Terry said.

if you are being serious, You just proved (by agreeing with Terry who is not being serious) why he should not concede the hole. If you miss a 4 foot putt hit firmly its going to be 4 foot past the hole if its a downhiller. Even if you make the putt, your opponent will be licking his lips becuase he now knows he is playing a wood-duck.

Would you be prepared to make this theoretical bet? Go to a putting green and measure a 4 foot distance on a slightly downhill break. Hit 100 putts firmly into the back of the cup. Would you be prepared to make this bet? you get $1 for every one putt, but you pay $100 for every 3 putt.

Nobody in their right mind would take on that bet, they would most likely lose several hundred dollars. So why would you give yourself a chance of 3 putting when you only need 2 and 1 is irrelevent?

BrisVegas
27th June 2006, 08:39 AM
I don't think AndyP thought about it in those terms... But then again, now I'm trying to think like AndyP thought and it's messing with my thought processes... I think I'd go for B - the lag option... I think...

markTHEblake
27th June 2006, 08:48 AM
not playing matchplay, I'm playing a singles club event, where the course chooses where it gets a shot instead of playing me stroke :p
:)

sorry, thats the kind of answer i would expect from the average golfer (ie 10-20 hcap) - not belittling average golfers but its a fact that they dont get to play much golf at higher levels.

a Par event is Matchplay, your opponent is the scorecard and not a person. The only difference between tthe two events is that you have prior notice of what score your opponent will make.

I just checked my golflink, Played 2 Par events in the last 2 years and reduced my handicap both times. (bear in mind most of my strokes I get on short Par 5's so it 'should' be even harder for me) Now is that coincidence or attitude?

Flowergirl
27th June 2006, 09:06 AM
It's beacause you are a friggin living legend Blakey. Simple.:twisted: But hey- I agree. The way that I've been playing lately - poor shot choices, course management etc - I think I need to get you to draw me up a game plan.
Hey - I'm serious. Tell me how to approach bogey golf. Cos that's all I want.
Plan A...............B...........C............. Share your wisdom...please!!!!!!!:)

BrisVegas
27th June 2006, 09:08 AM
It's beacause you are a friggin living legend Blakey. Simple.:twisted:

Don't give it up so easily Reenie. Make him tease it out of you....

3oneday
27th June 2006, 09:42 AM
sorry, thats the kind of answer i would expect from the average golfer (ie 10-20 hcap) - not belittling average golfers but its a fact that they dont get to play much golf at higher levels.as I said, each to their own, you are one of the rare low markers I have come across that actually enjoys versus par.

Pete

AndyP
27th June 2006, 10:20 AM
Would you be prepared to make this theoretical bet? Go to a putting green and measure a 4 foot distance on a slightly downhill break.Hit 100 putts firmly into the back of the cup. Would you be prepared to make this bet? you get $1 for every one putt, but you pay $100 for every 3 putt.

Nobody in their right mind would take on that bet, they would most likely lose several hundred dollars. So why would you give yourself a chance of 3 putting when you only need 2 and 1 is irrelevent?
Your scenario is flawed.
You still need to pay the $100 if you 3 putt after screwing up a lag putt, not just if you go past the hole.

markTHEblake
27th June 2006, 11:21 AM
Your scenario is flawed.
You still need to pay the $100 if you 3 putt after screwing up a lag putt, not just if you go past the hole.
scenario is not flawed cos you just dont get it. I am not sure if my explanation is not good enough or you just dont want to know.

I won't 3 putt in that situation.

Armed with the information that Blakey has supplied above, I would have played every shot exactly the same.........
well that pretty much sums that up.

as I said, each to their own, you are one of the rare low markers I have come across that actually enjoys versus par.Pete
given that its an acceptable fact that Stableford advantages the higher handicap golfer in comparison thats very strange.

Hey - I'm serious. Tell me how to approach bogey golf. Cos that's all I want.
Plan A...............B...........C............. Share your wisdom...please!!!!!!!:)
Its "C" - Strategically you should be aiming to stop the ball 1-2 inches short of the hole (and perhaps below the hole). There is a significant margin for error there, probable worst case scenario from that distance about 1 foot. What you are doing here is eliminating the possibility of a 3 putt, in particular the nervous 'jerk' that can send the ball a long way past.

By the way this is not my wisdom. Its the wisdom of Nicklaus, Player, Hogan, and countless other 's.

Bruce
27th June 2006, 11:30 AM
Par has been good to me. I had +7 and +3 the last 2 times I played it.

AndyP
27th June 2006, 11:59 AM
scenario is not flawed cos you just dont get it. I am not sure if my explanation is not good enough or you just dont want to know.
I only said A for lack of a better option. The other options imply that I'm not trying to put the ball in the hole, but miss close.

I won't 3 putt in that situation.
Oh, you won't 3 putt in that situation. I thought it was a general discussion on what others would do in this situation, and I think that people may not get the initial lag putt right sometimes.

well that pretty much sums that up.
Why's that? What would you have me change on Saturday?

Its "C" - Strategically you should be aiming to stop the ball 1-2 inches short of the hole (and perhaps below the hole). There is a significant margin for error there, probable worst case scenario from that distance about 1 foot. What you are doing here is eliminating the possibility of a 3 putt, in particular the nervous 'jerk' that can send the ball a long way past.
So someone needs to be a good enough putter to get the ball to stop 1-2 inches short of the hole, but they're not good enough to try and get it in?
Perhaps from 4 feet, but what about from further away?

oz
27th June 2006, 12:08 PM
I enjoy par. I think it encourages you to manage your misses much more, and play more strategically. I get sick of playing stableford week after week. My first preference is strokeplay, but par is fine by me.

From what I have seen, it is generally mid-higher handicaps that dislike par, because of the percieved loss of benefit from nett birdies or better.

Everyone has their likes & dislikes, I guess.

Moe Norman
27th June 2006, 12:21 PM
Par is definately an event that favours low markers.

anyone off more than 18, can easily waste shots in a Par event if they don't think strategically.

Fishman Dan
27th June 2006, 02:15 PM
I don't mind playing Par to break up the monotony, but as Moe said it favours low markers. Higher handicappers still relish the odd 4-pointer...

markTHEblake
30th June 2006, 04:33 PM
So someone needs to be a good enough putter to get the ball to stop 1-2 inches short of the hole, but they're not good enough to try and get it in?
Perhaps from 4 feet, but what about from further away?

you have totally missed the concept, A firm putt from 4 feet is always a chance of a 3 putt if you miss. What i am talking about here is eliminating all possibility of a 3 putt.

Next Ozgolf day I'll show you.

I don't mind playing Par to break up the monotony, but as Moe said it favours low markers. Higher handicappers still relish the odd 4-pointer...

Do they relish the 0 pointer just as much. Par only advantages low markers cos most of them understand what they are playing.

3oneday
30th June 2006, 04:48 PM
Par only advantages low markers cos most of them understand what they are playing.Par only advantages low markers WHEN THEY CARE TO GO ON AND ON AND ON AND ON ABOUT IT at every opportunity they get.... :p

FFS, it could be that some of us don't like the format, rather than not understand it !!! I think if I play a sport for 25+ years I might have a small concept of what I do and don't like. I could be mistaken, but then I'm sure you could tell me if I am....

Please........:smt119

markTHEblake
30th June 2006, 05:01 PM
Par only advantages low markers WHEN THEY CARE TO GO ON AND ON AND ON AND ON ABOUT IT at every opportunity they get....

I started the thread, I'll post in it as often as I like.

if someone goes on and on and on about something that i dont agree with, why cant i reply?

3oneday
30th June 2006, 05:11 PM
I started the thread, I'll post in it as often as I like.

if someone goes on and on and on about something that i dont agree with, why cant i reply?MTB, it is my impression that you are the only one in your thread going on and on about it. I could also say that most of us would see why that word was underlined, as directed to those who in your words do not understand how to play the game.

Each to their own as previously stated, if you don't feel you are overdoing your alledgedly outstanding grasp of all things tactical well ....

Feel free to have the last word now.... :p

markTHEblake
30th June 2006, 05:52 PM
MTB, it is my impression that you are the only one in your thread going on and on about it.

and now obviously you.

I could also say that most of us would see why that word was underlined, as directed to those who in your words do not understand how to play the game.

No, not directed to anybody. The word was underlined to highlight that I am not making an absolute statement.

you better cut back on the caffiene and stop reading threads you dont like.

3oneday
30th June 2006, 08:19 PM
you better cut back on the caffiene and stop reading threads you dont like.good point, both.

Moe Norman
30th June 2006, 09:46 PM
he's kind of right though.

generally people that don't like the format because the approach it like a stroke or stableford game instead of how it's meant to be played.

If you don't like Par, then I guess that means you don't like matchplay?

Par is matchplay against a very consistent opponent ;)

3oneday
30th June 2006, 09:52 PM
If you don't like Par, then I guess that means you don't like matchplay?seems that way apparently.

Looks like I might have to miss pennants this year ;) damn, and it was only three years ago I won my clubs (stroke, does that count ???) matchplay champs, so yep, as MTB said, best I say nothing hey ;)

Moe Norman
30th June 2006, 10:20 PM
Par is stroke matchplay if you're off scratch, but again, its against a very consistent opponent. ;)

AndyP
1st July 2006, 08:54 AM
Pete, you seem to have issues with having other people tell you what you do and don't like and how you should play. Why?

goughy
1st July 2006, 09:10 AM
If I was playing better then I'd be interested in tackling this format again with the new found information. Unfortunatley I can't afford to take it too easy on a hole. I need to get the ball in the cup before I implode.

Moe Norman
1st July 2006, 09:26 AM
you seem to have issues with having other people tell you what you do and don't like and how you should play. Why? it was an explanation as to how the format is played, people jumped all over it as though he was trying to be some kind of mater. I merely agreed with him, that its a form of matchplay and that its unusual not to like Par if you like matchplay.

markTHEblake
1st July 2006, 05:34 PM
Unfortunatley I can't afford to take it too easy on a hole

Absolutely, anytime that mindset starts, your a goner. However Laying up or aiming for the centre of the green is not taking it easy.

p.s. Goughy this reply is directed at you. Anyone else reads this at their own risk. I accept no responsibility for any burst veins or feet stamping from anyone else who did not heed this warning.

3oneday
1st July 2006, 07:13 PM
Absolutely, anytime that mindset starts, your a goner. in your learned opinion one would guess....

p.s this is aimed at the small minded individual who started this thread, and who can obviously say whatever he wishes because of that fact. It must be proving quiet difficult for him to type when his head is lodged in that place where the sun does not appear to shine....;)

markTHEblake
1st July 2006, 11:06 PM
http://www.iplexingtonplant.org/Our%20Boss.jpg

terryand
1st July 2006, 11:13 PM
Nice self portrait Blakey.

Terry.

Jarro
2nd July 2006, 05:52 AM
nah, can't be ... Blakey's head's too big to fit up his own a4se :p

terryand
2nd July 2006, 02:42 PM
Wished we where playing par at Gailes today,I would have been -1 rather than 5 over after the 1st hole :oops:

Terry.