PDA

View Full Version : How to lose and gain distance back - Big Thank you to Pureform Golf

YonexMan
22nd May 2017, 12:11 PM
Bit of a story here - but maybe a "lesson learned" or hopefully other golfers might learn and not let the same thing happen to them in regards to their equipment, getting fitted and being coached by a teaching Pro.

Quick background - my son was fitted to some Mizuno MP15's by a local golf Pro. We had previously tested the clubs at a couple of Pro Shops with launch monitors, but wanted to be able to hit the clubs off grass and not a perfect hitting mat as well. The local Pro recommended a certain shaft to help my son develop the swing he needed to have, to gain that extra bit of consistency to drop down to a scratch or better golfer - he was already hitting off a 5 handicap. This made sense to me - so we went with his recommendation. Clubs worked great and my son in his first game with them hit to a 3 handicap even though he had to take a penalty drop on one hole. He then took lessons over a period of 6 months or so with the Pro that fitted him to the clubs. Over that time we noticed a slow decline in carry distance. - like around 15m in his irons, from the start of the first lesson, to the last lesson. My son commented on the declining loss of distance over the 6 months and the club Pro, said that - it was normal and that the distance would come back - but it never did. After another 3 months of playing and also me doing some research I decided that enough was enough and booked my son into Pureform for a iron fitting.

Now - over the period of coaching the change that the Pro had made to my son's swing was to shallow out his attack angle. Previously my son was quite steep and "trapped" the ball. on previous launch monitors he was around 7 to 8 degrees down.

On friday we were in Sydney and spent time with Michael Rasetta at Pureform Golf, going through a iron fitting. BIG thank you to Michael for all his patience and explanations. As at the end of the fitting, we found that the best option was to stay with the MP15 heads and change the shaft. My son instantly gained back the 15+ metres he had lost and was back to hitting out to 160m with his 6 iron again.

It was all in the shaft. As Michael explained that the original shaft that was fitted - being a Project X 5.5 Rifle shaft was meant for players who trap the ball with a very steep angle of attack. Hence why the club worked when we first got them. But because the local golf pro changed my son's angle of attack to be more shallow, this caused my son to go from 7 to 8 degrees down to what he has now - being around 4 degrees down. This also caused an issue with dynamic loft being higher than what it should be and as such backspin was through the roof for a 6 iron at around 6800rpm at times. My son uses the Bridgestone B330S ball.

After the shaft was changed to the Project X 5.5 LZ - spin dropped down to mid or below 5500rpm, dynamic loft was way better and distance was back to where it was expected to be. As this shaft is meant for downswings which are not as steep.

Michael even changed the heads to others he had there, such as the JPX 900 Forged, Srixon (can't remember the exact model number) and others, as well as testing other shafts and the results showed that the best result was still the original MP15 heads with the new Project X 5.5 LZ shaft. So we got the old heads retrofitted with new shafts.

Moral of the story? The golf Pro you get lessons from needs to have an understanding of your equipment. What shaft suits what golf swing. Otherwise you can all too easily end up going backwards and it may well be not your fault, as your equipment may not suit the swing that the golf pro is teaching you - or the changes they are wanting you to make.

Yes, my son could have gone back to his old steep angle of attack - but better to just keep doing what he is currently doing (as he is still playing well - it was just the distance loss that was a concern) so I decided that a shaft change was the way to go. But in essence, it should not have been necessary and has been yet another expensive exercise.

Captain Nemo
22nd May 2017, 12:30 PM
Nice story...
I think many older type pros have no idea of the new gear available these days...
Hence why Pureform and the like have popped up.

AndyP
22nd May 2017, 01:30 PM
Couldn't he have got the 15m back by using Forte balls instead?

YonexMan
22nd May 2017, 01:43 PM
Never heard of Forte golf balls until now.

The Pro shops up here don't stock anything outside the big names in the industry.

Other than that, my son prefers the performance of the B330S.

That said - we did do prior testing using different golf balls - there was very little difference in spin rate, which was a big part of the problem. The shaft made the difference when we were testing with Michael at Pureform. No swing changes were made during the day. Michael said that there was really nothing wrong with the swing. It was the shaft that was the issue and the proof was in the numbers being shown on Trackman, as we tested each shaft on the same head.

Johnny Canuck
22nd May 2017, 01:55 PM
I've had a few lessons with Curtis Luck's coach.

The last time I was there, I commented that another pro recommended that I change my ball placement. He seemed genuinely amazed that another guy would make any recommendations without looking at the Trackman numbers to see the result of such a change.

If you've got access to technology, use it!

Funny timing of the thread, I just bought a set of iron shafts on here and have lost between 10-15m with them, and I have a steep swing!

YonexMan
22nd May 2017, 02:21 PM
I've had a few lessons with Curtis Luck's coach.

The last time I was there, I commented that another pro recommended that I change my ball placement. He seemed genuinely amazed that another guy would make any recommendations without looking at the Trackman numbers to see the result of such a change.

Funny timing of the thread, I just bought a set of iron shafts on here and have lost between 10-15m with them, and I have a steep swing!

What shafts did you change to?

I'll be selling my son's old shafts which are the Project X 5.5 Rifle shafts. But not sure if you would be interested in them as they are cut to have 3/8inch length difference between each shaft, rather than the standard of 1/2 inch difference. He prefers the 3/8inch difference.

Johnny Canuck
22nd May 2017, 05:56 PM
What shafts did you change to?

I'll be selling my son's old shafts which are the Project X 5.5 Rifle shafts. But not sure if you would be interested in them as they are cut to have 3/8inch length difference between each shaft, rather than the standard of 1/2 inch difference. He prefers the 3/8inch difference.

I tried out CTaper lites in x flex. I might just be getting too old for them :).

I'll probably stick with my steelfibers.

I've had very good results with my project x 6.0s previously and will probably revisit the next time I feel like building some clubs.

BUSHY
23rd May 2017, 08:58 AM
...I commented that another pro recommended that I change my ball placement. He seemed genuinely amazed that another guy would make any recommendations without looking at the Trackman numbers to see the result of such a change.

So true. I was thinking about this point the other day. Some pro's/fitters have enough of a clue to be dangerous, not enough to be proficient. This really highlights that fact.

YonexMan
23rd May 2017, 09:45 AM
So true. I was thinking about this point the other day. Some pro's/fitters have enough of a clue to be dangerous, not enough to be proficient. This really highlights that fact.

Yep, I guess that was my underlying point. The pro that fitted my son said that the shafts he fitted him to will help him develop the swing he needed to get down to scratch. But then the lessons the Pro gave my son made the shafts unsuitable to the swing. But it seemed that he knew that my son would lose distance and was expecting, saying it would eventually come back - but never did.

I just think that teaching Pro's need to have more knowledge about equipment in general. But also that there are a lot of pros out there that just teach a swing model - whether that swing model suits you or not, or suits your fitted equipment or not.

it's no wonder that amateurs don't tend to get better at times

grandmasterb
23rd May 2017, 10:18 AM
Yep, I guess that was my underlying point. The pro that fitted my son said that the shafts he fitted him to will help him develop the swing he needed to get down to scratch. But then the lessons the Pro gave my son made the shafts unsuitable to the swing. But it seemed that he knew that my son would lose distance and was expecting, saying it would eventually come back - but never did.

I just think that teaching Pro's need to have more knowledge about equipment in general. But also that there are a lot of pros out there that just teach a swing model - whether that swing model suits you or not, or suits your fitted equipment or not.

it's no wonder that amateurs don't tend to get better at times

Out of curiosity how was your son scoring even though he'd lost distance?

3Puttpete
23rd May 2017, 10:46 AM
.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170523/b6be54740ab64eb4ef4a3eca1c9713c2.jpg

YonexMan
23rd May 2017, 01:18 PM
His scoring had become very sporadic and was struggling to hit to his handicap over the past 6 months. Due to the continual loss of distance - even clubbing up would not work and at times it would look like he had just hit a great shot that was coming down right on the pin, only to be 8-10m short of the green. It was only over the last month that the distance loss had stabilised - as in it was no longer continually dropping. The thing was, as an example, he was previously hitting the PW out to 120m. This had dropped down to 105m. Still with the same very small dispersion rate, so there was no change in dispersion - only the big distance drop.

3Puttpete
23rd May 2017, 01:19 PM
Dd you think of buying him a 9 iron?

YonexMan
23rd May 2017, 01:24 PM
3puttpete.

I've no idea what you are trying to say with the photo or your comment on the 9 iron..

3Puttpete
23rd May 2017, 01:35 PM
3puttpete.

I've no idea what you are trying to say with the photo or your comment on the 9 iron..
That's ok. They were mostly for my benefit anyway.

grandmasterb
23rd May 2017, 01:50 PM
His scoring had become very sporadic and was struggling to hit to his handicap over the past 6 months. Due to the continual loss of distance - even clubbing up would not work and at times it would look like he had just hit a great shot that was coming down right on the pin, only to be 8-10m short of the green. It was only over the last month that the distance loss had stabilised - as in it was no longer continually dropping. The thing was, as an example, he was previously hitting the PW out to 120m. This had dropped down to 105m. Still with the same very small dispersion rate, so there was no change in dispersion - only the big distance drop.

If the above is true it sounds like he has more to worry about other than the loss of distance as there is absolutely no reason not to be able to go back 1-2 clubs to hit the distance required, hell we do it all the time when playing into a head breeze etc

Regardless of the shaft he was using or the swing changes it sounds like he is a very capable ball striker if he's off low singles but sounds like he needs to work on his mental toughness IMHO!!!

Dotty
23rd May 2017, 02:23 PM
That's ok. They were mostly for my benefit anyway.
I smirked.

This thread highlights the shortcomings of many club pros and, more accurately, the committees that select them.

YonexMan
23rd May 2017, 02:32 PM
If the above is true it sounds like he has more to worry about other than the loss of distance as there is absolutely no reason not to be able to go back 1-2 clubs to hit the distance required, hell we do it all the time when playing into a head breeze etc

Regardless of the shaft he was using or the swing changes it sounds like he is a very capable ball striker if he's off low singles but sounds like he needs to work on his mental toughness IMHO!!!

LOL - WOW

I post the original post to hopefully help other golfers learn from what has happened and for them to hopefully avoid the same problem and expense that I have gone through.

Now it has degraded to someone accusing my son of being mentally deficient.. Nice to see that they can make this sort of comment when they know nothing about him.

Backs up my original opinion of forums..

I won't bother with posting anymore.... obviously just trying to help others is not the thing to do anymore..

If the forum moderators are reading this - you are welcome to delete my profile please as I can't seem to find anything on the forum on how to do this.

AndyP
23rd May 2017, 02:49 PM
Your post seems like a bit of an over-reaction, YonexMan. You've had plenty of comments that agree with you in this thread, but you have chosen to blow up over one that doesn't.

grandmasterb
23rd May 2017, 02:53 PM
LOL - WOW

I post the original post to hopefully help other golfers learn from what has happened and for them to hopefully avoid the same problem and expense that I have gone through.

Now it has degraded to someone accusing my son of being mentally deficient.. Nice to see that they can make this sort of comment when they know nothing about him.

I won't bother with posting anymore.... obviously just trying to help others is not the thing to do anymore..

If the forum moderators are reading this - you are welcome to delete my profile please as I can't seem to find anything on the forum on how to do this.

From which part of my comment do you get that I've accused your son of being mentally deficient YonexMan???

Regardless of swing changes or not having the right shaft which had lead to a loss in distance if he can't hit a ****ing green with any club in his bag from any distance I stand by my comment that he needs to look at the mental side of his game and I reckon 99% of forum members would agree!!!

Captain Nemo
23rd May 2017, 03:04 PM
Nice one guys, turn a constructive positive thread into a joke...yet again.

BUSHY
23rd May 2017, 03:08 PM
From which part of my comment do you get that I've accused your son of being mentally deficient YonexMan???

Regardless of swing changes or not having the right shaft which had lead to a loss in distance if he can't hit a ****ing green with any club in his bag from any distance I stand by my comment that he needs to look at the mental side of his game and I reckon 99% of forum members would agree!!!

I agree, the inability to hit a green when even clubbing up is less to do with the shaft and more likely due to some other factor. I would ask if he can hit knock down shots into the wind with the new shafts now that there has been a change.

A bit of an overreaction from Yonex in the scheme of things. IMO it's often the case when discussing the strengths and weaknesses of your own children. It's a natural response.

Yossarian
23rd May 2017, 03:12 PM
Maybe he meant to quote 3pp.

I bet with myself this would happen and sure enough it has.

backintheswing
23rd May 2017, 03:19 PM
Usual stuff from certain members.

3Puttpete
23rd May 2017, 03:33 PM
Usual stuff from certain members.
Agree. The self-righteousness gets a bit much

mrbluu
23rd May 2017, 04:04 PM

Probably the bit where you said he needs to work on his mental game and no I don't agree with you.

Leftfoot75
23rd May 2017, 05:00 PM

100% agree. The original post was a good read.

From what was written, I am not sure how one can conclude that mental toughness is the issue.

I guess when you're not 100% comfortable or fully trust your equipment then misses will happen with any club you use.

Hatchman
23rd May 2017, 05:22 PM
Nice way to stuff up what started out as a good thread and drive away a contributor.

Lagerlover
23rd May 2017, 05:35 PM
Sorry, had to take the spoodle to the vet to get his anal glands released.

What did I miss??

Lagerlover
23rd May 2017, 05:38 PM
Just read every single post. Great OP, shame about everything that followed.

Hope you stay around as the one thing this forum is lacking is golf related posts.

Lagerlover
23rd May 2017, 05:46 PM

Probably the most defining post of the thread..

R.I.P. TGF

perci
23rd May 2017, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Lagerlover;1348450]Sorry, had to take the spoodle to the vet to get his anal glands released.

Pics?

Lagerlover
23rd May 2017, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=Lagerlover;1348450]Sorry, had to take the spoodle to the vet to get his anal glands released.

Pics?

I expected better from you.

(check my instagram)

Dotty
23rd May 2017, 06:19 PM
Maybe it should be put in the forum rules ... 'Thou shalt not question what the Pureform printout says'. :wink:

YonexMan summarised it well in his second last paragraph starting ... 'Moral of the story ...'

I'll add my serious two cents.

1. Your club pro is out of his depth. with loss of distance and no improvement in shot dispersement AND no plan to improve either.

2. Hitting a longer club into the green is not the answer. (It's nice to gloat that that I nearly got D&P on the weekend hitting a 105m 7 iron.
Nearly, as in well and truly beaten by Davepuppies SW from under half that distance.) Good thing that you are addressing it.

3. Pureform is not the holy grail. They provide a different service and they have their own pre-conceived ideas what is 'best' for the golfer. It would be interesting to see how their fitting compares to a fitting at a major retailer, who has a wider selection of OEM clubs. (I tried to buy a TM M2 driver last year and the retailer steered me to a $300 Srixon, rather than telling me that I'd develop the swing speed /angle of attack to make the M2 work properly. A similar exercise at Pureform in 2014 had me lined up for $800+ BioCell for a 5 metre distance gain with very selective data.)

I'd be interested in the first bit of the story about trying the original clubs indoors, then going to the outdoor pro to see how it went on grass. Was the original 'indoor' shaft recommendation the same as the club pros recommendation?

Who recommended the 3/8 increments? Does the club pro agree, disagree, neutral or oblivious to this? Ditto for Pureform.

grandmasterb
23rd May 2017, 06:23 PM
Probably the bit where you said he needs to work on his mental game and no I don't agree with you.

MASSIVE difference between needing to work on your mental ability to stay focused for 4+ hours whilst playing golf compared to being "mentally deficient"

Heaven forbid I don't agree with the OP and have a different view on the scenario but obviously because of this it's "off topic" or "stuffing up a thread"

I merely looked at the original post differently compared to other members and from that came my reply. It wasn't meant to upset anyone nor be taken personally and certainly wasn't "attacking his son" as he likes to say. The interesting thing everyone is overlooking is that they went to the pro for new clubs and the specs provided were based on his swing at the time. Regardless of what improvement his son wanted to do I find it absolutely crazy that he's "blaming" a club pro/fitter for his advice on shaft spec/selection because of changes made to his swing throughout instruction after the initial club fit given is sounds like there have been some significant swing changes made throughout the process!

I've personally changed shafts in my irons 3 times in 2 years due to changes in my swing as the previous shaft specs were no longer relavent or worked the way I needed them and that's because this game that we all love continues to evolve and change constantly especially with technology & equipment advances but to jump on a forum and moan that it was all the pro's fault is a little harsh (again just my opinion) given he can't even give his side of events!!!

jocker
23rd May 2017, 06:55 PM
I have a shallower angle of attack when I hit off a mat.

blurry
23rd May 2017, 07:14 PM
.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170523/b6be54740ab64eb4ef4a3eca1c9713c2.jpg

Very good [emoji1433]

Lagerlover
23rd May 2017, 07:33 PM
Would've thought any reference to Monis should be seen in the extreme poor taste.

FuzzyJuzzy
23rd May 2017, 08:00 PM
This is a little bit Days Of Our Lives from both sides in my opinion.
There's a big difference between being mentally deficient at golf and being mentally deficient at life in general. I'm sure we're all mentally deficient at golf at least a few times in every round we play. No??? Must just be me then:).
In any case, I don't think the dude was saying the other dude's son was mentally deficient in general.
And in any case, there's more awesome shit we should be talking about, like the dude who shot 58 off the stick at Castle Hill on the weekend. How the hell does a +6 marker score 44 ****in' points?!?!

Grumpy8
23rd May 2017, 08:20 PM
I had a mystery 10 mtr loss in distance in my irons when I switched from Warragul to beacon hills . As it was winter and wet I put it down to the conditions and hills verse flat but I think yonex might have explained it for me as I have mizuno jpx with rifle project x shafts

Anthony
23rd May 2017, 09:39 PM
I've had a similar experience with my irons. I've been working with the pro I get lessons from to shallow out my path and hit less down on on the ball. I've been getting better results in terms of dispersion but I've lost a fair bit of distance. The pro said it's probably down to equipment and he's going to get me to try some stuff next lesson. In the meantime I have had any issues just clubbing up when I need too.

3oneday
24th May 2017, 03:27 PM
I can't see where it was stated he was missing greens? I do need to read some of these posts twice at times.

I also can't see how a leap was made to mental toughness being required? If the kid was 18 or 19 and off 5 maybe, but there's no mention of age at all?

But yep, another close my account post is a bit sad.

BUSHY
24th May 2017, 04:03 PM
...even clubbing up would not work and at times it would look like he had just hit a great shot that was coming down right on the pin, only to be 8-10m short of the green.

I can't see where it was stated he was missing greens? I do need to read some of these posts twice at times.

I also can't see how a leap was made to mental toughness being required? If the kid was 18 or 19 and off 5 maybe, but there's no mention of age at all?

But yep, another close my account post is a bit sad.

I agree about the closing of the account and I definitely didn't intend to suggest the kid was "mentally deficient" but the part above where even clubbing up would result in 8-10m short of the green points to something other than the shafts, I'd assume anyway.

Depending on the pin, that's a fair distance short when clubbing up.

3oneday
24th May 2017, 05:11 PM
Thanks, I am surprised that a shaft would make 15 metres diff in a wedge, that seems a stretch too.

Almost a cool aid story in finding distance indoors? Anyway, hope they end up finding what they're looking for.

Johnny Canuck
24th May 2017, 06:18 PM
Thanks, I am surprised that a shaft would make 15 metres diff in a wedge, that seems a stretch too.

Almost a cool aid story in finding distance indoors? Anyway, hope they end up finding what they're looking for.

I was losing 15 with the pw I shafted up with the new clubs.

There was 1° difference in loft, which would account for a few yards.

I'm a decent striker of the ball and hit it pure on the shots that fell short.

Johnny Canuck
24th May 2017, 10:58 PM

Pics?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170524/b99f189e9cce98c45a197c78a0bb0c00.jpg

Coldtopper
25th May 2017, 06:31 AM
[QUOTE=perci;1348455]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170524/b99f189e9cce98c45a197c78a0bb0c00.jpg Laurence Angwin ?

Yossarian
25th May 2017, 10:07 AM
Is that talart?

Lagerlover
25th May 2017, 10:49 AM
Is that talart?

Hahaha, second favourite blogger after you Yoss.

sfdoddsy
25th May 2017, 07:18 PM
3. Pureform is not the holy grail. They provide a different service and they have their own pre-conceived ideas what is 'best' for the golfer. It would be interesting to see how their fitting compares to a fitting at a major retailer, who has a wider selection of OEM clubs. (I tried to buy a TM M2 driver last year and the retailer steered me to a $300 Srixon, rather than telling me that I'd develop the swing speed /angle of attack to make the M2 work properly. A similar exercise at Pureform in 2014 had me lined up for $800+ BioCell for a 5 metre distance gain with very selective data.)

I'd be interested in the first bit of the story about trying the original clubs indoors, then going to the outdoor pro to see how it went on grass. Was the original 'indoor' shaft recommendation the same as the club pros recommendation?

It is a shame this thread degenerated.

But I have done fittings at Pureform and at a major retailer (Power Golf).

For irons, they both came up with the same recommendation for head - Callaway Steelheads. The numbers from the Trackman at Pureform and the GC2 at Power Golf were also very close. The difference was that Pureform recommended reshafting with Steelfibers, but didn't have the stock shafts to compare this to.

I ended up buying the Steelheads with the stock shafts elsewhere, and then having them reshafted with Steelfibers (also elsewhere).

There may have been differences between the shafts indoors on Trackman, but that was not evidenced on the course.

I've also done a few driver fittings at Pureform. Sometimes I've been shown numbers that prove a certain head and shaft combo is better than my gamer. Other times I've been shown numbers that prove there is no difference.

I've been recommended three different shafts by three different fitters for the same head.

To me, all this is a sign that their fittings are not scientific. If they were, the results should be repeatable across different sessions.

Much like the irons, I get essentially the same numbers from the monitors at Powergolf.

gameboy
26th May 2017, 07:58 PM
good original post. i also find there are differences between hitting inside v outside. i tend to try and 'overhit' the ball on the inside while i tend to be a bit more focused on the swing outside and hit it better.

AlexMc
28th May 2017, 09:13 AM
I won a fitting with Cool Clubs a few months ago and went through the process about a month ago in Sydney. It was 6 hours and would have cost $800. Prior to doing it I would have struggled to see the value in it, but it is seriously the best thing I've ever done for my game.

Starting with driver, I was playing a HZRDUS Black 6.0 which they said was the right shaft for me, except mine had a flex of 6.7 and was probably 2 flexes too stiff for me. I got a shaft with a flex of 5.7 from them and I am immediately 20 metres longer one round in. The blokes that I was 40 behind all of a sudden I'm only 20 behind. Hit 11 from 13 fairways too...

They ended up recommending JPX-900 Hot Metal irons with Modus3 Tour 120 shafts. I ended up getting them through Mizuno with Tour 105 shafts - I couldn't justify the extra $70 per iron for Cool Clubs to build them when Mizuno already make a very close option. Cool Clubs said they were 7 metres longer than my old G30's - that was pretty close yesterday. Broke 80 with them first go (39 points).

They didn't recommend to change wedges or putter, but did give me a lesson on chipping and putting which has helped heaps. They did bend my 52 wedge to 50 and 56 to 55 to get the gaps even from PW down.

They suggested I ditch 3 wood and go 2 hybrid which I got through them (Titleist 817H1 with a Fujikura Pro 72H stiff shaft - got from Cool Clubs as Titleist don't offer the shaft combo), but I haven't hit it yet...

My club pro was so impressed with the data they provided me he is going to go through the same process with them (get some intel as to what they are doing, check the specs of his clubs).

It's a lot of cash (particularly when you don't get a discount off the clubs - it's the fee plus the clubs), but I do see the value in it...

Captain Nemo
28th May 2017, 10:22 AM
Alex, tell Mearsy to let me know when he's going to do it, lol....

TheNuclearOne
28th May 2017, 11:24 AM
I won a fitting with Cool Clubs a few months ago and went through the process about a month ago in Sydney. It was 6 hours and would have cost $800. Prior to doing it I would have struggled to see the value in it, but it is seriously the best thing I've ever done for my game.

Starting with driver, I was playing a HZRDUS Black 6.0 which they said was the right shaft for me, except mine had a flex of 6.7 and was probably 2 flexes too stiff for me. I got a shaft with a flex of 5.7 from them and I am immediately 20 metres longer one round in. The blokes that I was 40 behind all of a sudden I'm only 20 behind. Hit 11 from 13 fairways too...

They ended up recommending JPX-900 Hot Metal irons with Modus3 Tour 120 shafts. I ended up getting them through Mizuno with Tour 105 shafts - I couldn't justify the extra $70 per iron for Cool Clubs to build them when Mizuno already make a very close option. Cool Clubs said they were 7 metres longer than my old G30's - that was pretty close yesterday. Broke 80 with them first go (39 points).

They didn't recommend to change wedges or putter, but did give me a lesson on chipping and putting which has helped heaps. They did bend my 52 wedge to 50 and 56 to 55 to get the gaps even from PW down.

They suggested I ditch 3 wood and go 2 hybrid which I got through them (Titleist 817H1 with a Fujikura Pro 72H stiff shaft - got from Cool Clubs as Titleist don't offer the shaft combo), but I haven't hit it yet...

My club pro was so impressed with the data they provided me he is going to go through the same process with them (get some intel as to what they are doing, check the specs of his clubs).

It's a lot of cash (particularly when you don't get a discount off the clubs - it's the fee plus the clubs), but I do see the value in it...

You'd have to be ecstatic with those results. Nice.

BUSHY
28th May 2017, 12:15 PM

Out of curiosity did they change your swing weight much?

AlexMc
28th May 2017, 12:37 PM
You'd have to be ecstatic with those results. Nice.I was a bit of a pessimist before the session to be honest, but it was super thorough and first game with the new gear was pretty good. Another mate I was playing with is usually 10-15 past me - I got past him a few times which was nice. 79 (+8) with 33 putts - could have been even better!
Out of curiosity did they change your swing weight much? Driver was the same, irons a little heavier but then I ended up going with the lighter shafts in the end any way. Wedges and putter didn't change, didn't have a hybrid to compare.

BUSHY
28th May 2017, 12:40 PM
Thanks Alex. Sounds like a great result.

thecollective
28th May 2017, 01:40 PM
Agree. The self-righteousness gets a bit much

Indeed, shame on you 3PP, shame shame shame

Yonex: Well done on the shaft change; in saying that though Rory M made an interesting statement recently noting that the player has to adapt more to the equipment than vice versa;

perhaps that is the point others are trying to allude.

wazamac
28th May 2017, 02:18 PM
I would love to get over to the Eastern States one time and do a proper fitting.
We don't have anything like that here in Radelaide.

My issue probably would be that my swing is not consistent enough. Swing is ok, certainly not long, but reasonably straight.

Would a proper fitting help with consistency, in turn ball striking, or would it be more beneficial for decent lessons?

thecollective
28th May 2017, 02:28 PM
I would love to get over to the Eastern States one time and do a proper fitting.
We don't have anything like that here in Radelaide.

My issue probably would be that my swing is not consistent enough. Swing is ok, certainly not long, but reasonably straight.

Would a proper fitting help with consistency, in turn ball striking, or would it be more beneficial for decent lessons?

Hey Waza, HOG Mile End claim they have all the technology to do a proper fitting; I personally find the owner of the store hard to stomach and wonder when they get to the sales pitch (of new clubs etc.) what the ramifications are when you say you will 'go away and have a think about it'.

wazamac
28th May 2017, 02:45 PM
Yeah, he shits me too.

I'm more talking of a place that doesn't try to sell the club that is going to give them the best profits. I think they also only do the shafts that are available
for that model club.
They also wouldn't do loft and lie changes, just what goes the longest.

Chris West is also a little bit of a tool. Iv'e had lessons from other Pros and they ask if I have had lessons before and I say " Chris West" and they all cringe.

Captain Nemo
28th May 2017, 03:21 PM
My sons got a soccer game v st pius college at oxford falls sat 17th, I'm going to book in with cool Clubs for a driver fitting....

oldracer
28th May 2017, 03:27 PM
Going to the dark side Loz 😏

Captain Nemo
28th May 2017, 03:30 PM
What do you mean Al?

AlexMc
28th May 2017, 04:42 PM
My sons got a soccer game v st pius college at oxford falls sat 17th, I'm going to book in with cool Clubs for a driver fitting.... See if you can get the fitting with Jack - great guy!

oldracer
28th May 2017, 05:58 PM
What do you mean Al?thought you were a Pureform advocate 8-)

oldracer
28th May 2017, 06:00 PM
See if you can get the fitting with Jack - great guy!super bloke Jack, really knows his stuff and even provides the odd coaching tip along the way

Captain Nemo
28th May 2017, 07:42 PM
thought you were a Pureform advocate 8-)

No not really mate.
It's prob my only opportunity to go over to Narrabeen as its over an her from my place.
I'm up that way with my son so why not...?

oldracer
28th May 2017, 09:06 PM
No not really mate.It's prob my only opportunity to go over to Narrabeen as its over an her from my place.I'm up that way with my son so why not...? Zactly mate, enjoy the ride 👍

Captain Nemo
29th May 2017, 05:19 AM
Well it's like this, my brother works for a winery, deosnt mean I'm going to buy his wine exclusively! ;)
It's so far away, I'd never really get a chance to check them out otherwise...

Gammon
29th May 2017, 05:36 PM
I'm interested to see the results Capt. Do you think you will purchase or just do the fitting and knock the club/shaft combo up yourself if you find an improvement?

Captain Nemo
29th May 2017, 07:18 PM
I'm interested to see the results Capt. Do you think you will purchase or just do the fitting and knock the club/shaft combo up yourself if you find an improvement?
Depends mate....
lets wait and see......

AlexMc
29th May 2017, 08:42 PM
Depends mate....lets wait and see...... They pured both shafts that I got through them. I guess when you are between flexes like they said I was it was better to get it from them knowing it is bang on what they said I needed.As opposed to the HZRDUS 6.0 that I got via TM that was actually 6.7...

Captain Nemo
29th May 2017, 08:49 PM
See that's the beauty about Pure, Precision and Cool Clubs.
They CPM all the shafts so you don't take notice of what it says o the shaft graphics, but what they measure it out to be...

TheNuclearOne
29th May 2017, 09:10 PM
They pured both shafts that I got through them. I guess when you are between flexes like they said I was it was better to get it from them knowing it is bang on what they said I needed.As opposed to the HZRDUS 6.0 that I got via TM that was actually 6.7...

TM tip almost all of their aftermarket shafts an inch. Fair chance this may have happened and offset the frequency.

grandmasterb
30th May 2017, 08:07 AM
TM tip almost all of their aftermarket shafts an inch. Fair chance this may have happened and offset the frequency.

I had this happen to my new M1 3wood I just pruchased, the Rogue Silver plays more like an X-stiff rather than a stiff when we pulled and checked it.

TheNuclearOne
30th May 2017, 10:33 AM
I had this happen to my new M1 3wood I just pruchased, the Rogue Silver plays more like an X-stiff rather than a stiff when we pulled and checked it.

No idea what they tip FW's but if it's anything like the drivers..........lol

grandmasterb
30th May 2017, 10:40 AM
No idea what they tip FW's but if it's anything like the drivers..........lol

The morning I did the fitting I was flushing it (first time in months) and I was on the border of a x-stiff shaft but didn't feel comfortable with that recommendation so opted for the stiff instead. I ended up going with the Rogue Silver which now even when I go after it I'm not happy with the ball flight with my current "non flusher swing...

My swing is constantly changing whilst I work on improving flexibility so the Rogue can go in the cupboard and I'll try it out again in summer but that's why I'm a firm believer in 2 day fittings as I never swing the clubs the same day in, day out so what worked for me yesterday doesn't necessarily mean it will work today, tomorrow or next week!!!

oldracer
30th May 2017, 12:00 PM
See that's the beauty about Pure, Precision and Cool Clubs. They CPM all the shafts so you don't take notice of what it says o the shaft graphics, but what they measure it out to be... Don't forget House of Chappy Loz, they have all the gear as well 👍

AlexMc
31st May 2017, 10:03 PM
38 points today - second round with the new gear post-Cool Clubs fitting. Windy, cold conditions - couldn't believe how good the ball flight was. No ballooning...

Down from 10.7 to 9.5 in 2 rounds!

TheNuclearOne
31st May 2017, 10:13 PM
Jebus, you'd sure be itching to get back out there.

AndyP
1st June 2017, 07:20 AM

True to his word. I hope he enjoys the supportive community on Facebook.

AlexMc
1st June 2017, 09:46 AM
Jebus, you'd sure be itching to get back out there. I am... off to Fiji on Saturday (staying at Natadola Bay - 6 holes are closed for renovations so not really worth taking clubs for), but itching to get back and play again!

grandmasterb
1st June 2017, 01:08 PM
38 points today - second round with the new gear post-Cool Clubs fitting. Windy, cold conditions - couldn't believe how good the ball flight was. No ballooning...

Down from 10.7 to 9.5 in 2 rounds!

Great progress Alex, do you have a target handicap you're trying to achieve?

Lagerlover
1st June 2017, 04:56 PM
I am... off to Fiji on Saturday (staying at Natadola Bay - 6 holes are closed for renovations so not really worth taking clubs for), but itching to get back and play again!

Perci says to say hello to Christian and Vijay

AlexMc
1st June 2017, 10:02 PM
Great progress Alex, do you have a target handicap you're trying to achieve? For now I just want to break 80 consistently. In pretty tough cold conditions I played pretty well, but didn't break 80 (had 80, but with two doubles and a 3 putt). Just want to keep working on cutting the crap from my game and just focus on shooting seventy-something each round and keep improving from there.

Gammon
3rd June 2017, 09:06 AM
I am... off to Fiji on Saturday (staying at Natadola Bay - 6 holes are closed for renovations so not really worth taking clubs for), but itching to get back and play again! Natadola is a great course, I'd happily play 12 if the price was adjusted accordingly. Especially if those super elevated tee shot holes are in play.

AlexMc
4th June 2017, 05:13 AM
12 Holes open for play and they are 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,17 & 18.

About $65 for 12 holes, clubs, cart and range balls.

Gammon
4th June 2017, 09:43 PM
12 Holes open for play and they are 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,17 & 18.About $65 for 12 holes, clubs, cart and range balls. Take your clubs bruh.

AlexMc
5th June 2017, 01:09 PM
Take your clubs bruh. Too late for that. Played 12 holes this morning. 6-9 are a great stretch of holes. Had 1 over, but to be fair two of the par 5's were really 4's. Wind made the holes along the coast hard, but I thought it's difficult reputation is a little overstated. Nice track though.