PDA

View Full Version : Holden Scramble

Grunt
24th June 2006, 05:39 PM
Hi all

Who is playing in the Holden Scramble this year & Who is interested in forming a team to play in it?
Us OzGolfers could build some pretty formidable teams. maybe we could form a couple and play in the same day with the hope that we take the day out.

3oneday
24th June 2006, 05:56 PM
Sounds good, lets put our name down for Camden and all not turn up !!!

:lol: I'm mildy interested, depends on where and when I guess.

Pete

Grunt
24th June 2006, 06:13 PM
I have had a look and there are heaps of days that the clubs have their event open to members of any AGU Club.
The only one I know a definite date is Macarthur Grange on the Sunday 13th August. There won't be many players as the club did not plan very well. The B & C grade pennants teams are playing their final match away @ Richmond.
Might be a good day for a guy from Bathurst to stack a team up to take a win ;). Also with the lack of numbers we might be able to form up a number of teams.

Pinglauncher
24th June 2006, 07:03 PM
Haven't played in a "Scramble" for a few years so would not mind another go. Similar to 3oneday, depends on where and when and being able to fit in with work etc.

Ducky
24th June 2006, 07:04 PM
Before we organise anything, we need to come up with a handicap strategy.

:p

Grunt
24th June 2006, 07:10 PM
yeah I agree Ducky, I have been noted by some mates as a great ambrose player as my game like a 25+ handicapper does not count but my game like a 10 marker is like gold.

AndyP
24th June 2006, 08:24 PM
The Holden Scramble is starting to get a little expensive. Why would I want to pay over $30 to play my home course?

connico
25th June 2006, 12:41 PM
i might want to join you guys for this, might put my competitive running and then my handicap will come down!!

Matt 3 Jab
25th June 2006, 12:59 PM
a good team would be connico, a big hitter and someone who can really putt.
need a good all round solid player for when the higher handicappers spray their shots, and then on the green, the best putter goes last to see the line.
id be out due to not playing, but have played them before and done ok.

goughy
25th June 2006, 02:30 PM
Just watch out for the groups of 3 old men. Although pairing 2 groups together (6 per time) will have hopefully weeded a lot of it out.

And you all know what I'm talking about!

Grunt
25th June 2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah in the last couple I have played the scores have got more realistic, but I have seen some pretty high handicap ladies playing that looked like their handicaps were higher than they should have been.
Mates of mine played with the group that won it last year in regional qualifying. They noted that the lady in that group was of ability way higher than her handicap suggested. They later won the National Final.

Jarro
25th June 2006, 03:14 PM
so Tezza, Kee ... are we gonna play in this again this year ???????

terryand
25th June 2006, 04:15 PM
so Tezza, Kee ... are we gonna play in this again this year ???????

i'm up for it again :smt023

Terry.

Jarro
25th June 2006, 04:20 PM
i'm up for it again :smt023

Terry.

what course ??

terryand
25th June 2006, 04:24 PM
definitely try nudgee again, but being a Tuesday might not suit Kee.

Terry.

PeteyD
25th June 2006, 07:50 PM
What is the Scramble and how does it work?

Grunt
25th June 2006, 07:54 PM
3 man ambrose pete, it is a national event where in the final round the players play with a PGA pro.

PeteyD
25th June 2006, 09:05 PM
I might be up for that if Kee can't make it and you guys would put up with me.

burger
26th June 2006, 08:40 AM
I'd be interested in this too guys . . . . .

Played in one and enjoyed it.

stu

AndyP
26th June 2006, 08:42 AM
definitely try nudgee again, but being a Tuesday might not suit Kee.
Jarro, can you get some details of this year's event please? Last year's was a little down on the year before's but was still fun.

Jarro
26th June 2006, 02:16 PM
i'll find some info and post it as soon as i can AndyP

jimandr
27th June 2006, 10:18 PM
The Holden Scramble details are on the Australian PGA website. Every event is listed by date, and whether it is open or restricted to members.

It is easiest to get there by googling it.

I'm not a very good Ambrose partner, and I've never won as part of a team. I don't hit the ball far enough, close enough to the hole, or hole enough putts. Consistency is often not a valuable quality.

The Macarthur Grange game is scheduled for my birthday. Can I find a better way to spend it than with OzGolfers sledging each other on a course I don't like very much? Probably not. What time is tee time? And is it a shotgun start (they usually are)?

Grunt
28th June 2006, 05:04 AM
There are no advertised tee times Jim, it is Macarthur Grange. Last year they decided to do it this way as they thought they would lose too much money from customers that were not interested in playing in the event. They forget that if this day was advertised properly they would get heaps involved as alot of clubs nowadays esspecialy if their events are on weekends are locked out to members only.
If we play in this event(date) we would need to have 2 groups organised and then put in a time that we wish to play. We could get more but I am not confident. If we only get one group we would have to book a prefered tee time and then wait for teh club to get back to us to see if they have another group willing to play at that time or another tee time that they have a group playing in the event.
So if we could get 6 of us, it could be a great day as we would all play together and have a good laugh celebrating your birthday and maybe one of us will qualify for the regionals.

Coffs_Hacker
28th June 2006, 08:58 AM
there is also the www.holdenscramble.com.au website too

Grunt
7th July 2006, 05:12 PM
Spoke with Macarthur Grange Pro Shop today about Scramble date. It is a open tee. One social golf club on the course in the morning. Plan for the event is it is late i nte Scramble calendar and hope to attract guys that have had a go at qualifing and failed wanting to have another go.

So who is interested in making the 13th August the OzGolf Scramble day? I will make a calendar entry for it. If we can get players that are interested to list then we can sort out teams.

Lets all have a great day of Ambrose golf.

Grunt
10th July 2006, 06:34 AM
Here is the link for the calendar.

Holden Scramble (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=62&day=2006-8-13&c=1)

Would be great to get 4 teams but I know that is hard to do here. To get 12 players is sometimes hard, if not impossible here in NSW.

connico
17th July 2006, 10:37 AM
ill play!!!

TS
20th July 2006, 10:56 AM
Jono, Connico & I had decided to form one team for the Holden Scramble at Macarthur Grange. It should be interesting. We have the offical second worst putter in ozgolf (Jono). The self claim worst putter in ozgolf (Connico). I guess I am the only real golfer in the group. So watch out for The Dragons from the East.

PeteyD
20th July 2006, 11:04 AM
Anyone want to form a team for up here in Brissy?

AndyP
20th July 2006, 11:58 AM
Petey, if you can find a single capper to join us, then we might make a good team. Nudgee is the most likely place where I will play this thing.

PeteyD
20th July 2006, 12:57 PM
With Jarro etc playing nudgee it would be nice to have another team there! Now to find some single capper willing to play !!

Jarro
20th July 2006, 01:07 PM
yeah, you guys get your team together, and we'll try and play together at Nudgee.

Kee, are you still in for this with me and Tezza ?

Choppa
20th July 2006, 01:08 PM
I don't mind the old Scramble, so if there's a vacant spot around I am keen.

BrisVegas
20th July 2006, 01:38 PM
Sorry if this has already been answered, but isn't the Nudgee event on Tuesday the 5th Sept???

Why do they put these things on mid-week?? Sheeesh.

PeteyD
20th July 2006, 01:42 PM
There are ones on weekends as well. goldCoastCountry 9th, Redcliffe 10th etc

AndyP
20th July 2006, 01:46 PM
Sorry if this has already been answered, but isn't the Nudgee event on Tuesday the 5th Sept???

Why do they put these things on mid-week?? Sheeesh.
I get the feeling that I might have a migraine that day. We could have Choppa in our team, he's practically a single capper.

PeteyD
20th July 2006, 01:59 PM
True. Sounds like a goer to me!

dc68
20th July 2006, 02:15 PM
If you guys get a weekend spot and need a single marker I will play.

Choppa
20th July 2006, 02:55 PM
Yeah weekend spot for me too......Redcliffe could be good?

BrisVegas
20th July 2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah weekend spot for me too......Redcliffe could be good?

About time you played on your side of town...

I'm a chance for a game at Redcliffe, if anyone wants a fair-middling 8 hcap. I go great in ambroses though!

PeteyD
20th July 2006, 03:19 PM
Haven't played Redcliffe before. That might be a go!

Jarro
20th July 2006, 03:24 PM
Redcliffe would be good. I love that course :)

Choppa
20th July 2006, 03:32 PM
So what do we have here.....

Choppa
Vegas
PeteyD
Jarro

Any other takers?

Jarro
20th July 2006, 03:34 PM
Tezza was keen for Nudgee, but i'm sure he'd like to play at Redcliffe too ;)

PeteyD
20th July 2006, 03:42 PM
dc68 is keen too I think

AndyP
20th July 2006, 03:43 PM
Maybe. Scrambles are a bit of a rip off though, so I'd probably only play one.

Choppa
20th July 2006, 03:48 PM
You know you wanna play with us at Redcliffe Andy.....

terryand
20th July 2006, 04:50 PM
Tezza was keen for Nudgee, but i'm sure he'd like to play at Redcliffe too ;)

Hell, why not and Windy is in October if we miss both of these :-s

Terry.

Jarro
20th July 2006, 04:57 PM
we have to do Windaroo Tezza :smt045

Choppa
20th July 2006, 07:55 PM
Few more.....

Choppa
Vegas
PeteyD
Jarro
Tezza
DC68??
AndyP (you know you want to)

Grunt
20th July 2006, 09:34 PM
Jono, Connico & I had decided to form one team for the Holden Scramble at Macarthur Grange. It should be interesting. We have the offical second worst putter in ozgolf (Jono). The self claim worst putter in ozgolf (Connico). I guess I am the only real golfer in the group. So watch out for The Dragons from the East.

So going by the Calendar entries saying they are keen the other team is myself, Jimandr & Burger. Our handicap will be quite good with Burgers and myselves dragging it up.
Anyone else interested? What time does everyone want to play? I will register our interest once we have a time agreed.

Grunt
20th July 2006, 09:35 PM
I will also get some entry sheets if they have to be in beforehand, and also find out prices for the day.

TS
20th July 2006, 09:48 PM
Grant. I am happy to play anytime that you want. Knowing Jim & Jono, they both don't like getting up early, I would suggest 10am.

Jono
20th July 2006, 09:54 PM
Grant. I am happy to play anytime that you want. Knowing Jim & Jono, they both don't like getting up early, I would suggest 10am.

Doesn't matter. I'll only be playing 3 holes anyway ... ;) :lol:

TS
20th July 2006, 10:36 PM
Doesn't matter. I'll only be playing 3 holes anyway ... ;) :lol:

I had already taken that into account. At least I know Connico got balls, anyone that will walk into a lake with their new shoes are ok. 2 of us will carry the team.

jimandr
21st July 2006, 12:19 AM
So going by the Calendar entries saying they are keen the other team is myself, Jimandr & Burger. Our handicap will be quite good with Burgers and myselves dragging it up.
Anyone else interested? What time does everyone want to play? I will register our interest once we have a time agreed.

TS, Jono and Connico should form a good team on paper.

It had to happen eventually, a 'continent of origin' challenge.

Virgal_Tracy
21st July 2006, 08:56 AM
If Burger is out or we can get another couple of players I'm in, otherwise I'll sit on the sidelines and wait to hear all of the banter from the game

dc68
21st July 2006, 09:03 AM
Few more.....

Choppa
Vegas
PeteyD
Jarro
Tezza
DC68??

I am in as long as it is a weekend and not too pricey.

BrisVegas
21st July 2006, 09:58 AM
Isn't there only allowed to be just 1 x single-figure player in each team?? Not a big deal, just means we need a few more "choppers"!

Choppa
21st July 2006, 10:27 AM
I just thought we would get a few names down first then work out teams. If we have left overs then we gotta work some shite out I guess.

Is Kee in??

andylo
21st July 2006, 12:10 PM
I am in if I am in DC's group

Choppa
Vegas
PeteyD
Jarro
Tezza
DC68??
Alo

dc68
21st July 2006, 03:21 PM
Are you stalking me Andy?:-s

andylo
21st July 2006, 04:02 PM
its more like stalking your beautiful iron striking.

AndyP
21st July 2006, 04:08 PM
That's creepy.

dc, be afraid, be very afraid.

Kee
24th July 2006, 09:36 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on OzGolf lately. Yep, count me in for the scramble. Tezza, Jarro, if the spot is still open in your team, I'll be happy to try to contribute 3 shots to the day (that's the rules right?).

Ducky
24th July 2006, 09:53 PM
I'm too lazy to research this. What are the dates?

Edit: nevermind, I am looking at the website now.

Okay, it looks like the Bathurst GC is on September 3rd.

Choppa
25th July 2006, 09:16 AM
So far so good

Choppa
Vegas
PeteyD

Jarro
Tezza
Kee

DC68??
Alo

AndyP
25th July 2006, 09:30 AM
Date and cost for Redcliffe?

dc68
25th July 2006, 10:07 AM
I am in.

PeteyD
25th July 2006, 10:16 AM
Entry fee is $30. This does not include green fees etc that the host club might want to charge.

Grunt
25th July 2006, 10:21 AM
For the guy interested in playing at Macarthur Grange the cost is $49 including cart hire. For some reason the site says cart hire is compulsory.

TS
25th July 2006, 10:42 AM
For the guy interested in playing at Macarthur Grange the cost is $49 including cart hire. For some reason the site says cart hire is compulsory.

That is fine, Grant. Do we need to fill in the form or are you going to make the booking for us?

Grunt
25th July 2006, 10:49 AM
I will make the booking for us. What time does everyone want to tee off?

I guess seeing as it will be Jim's Birthday he should get to play when he like too.

TS
25th July 2006, 10:55 AM
I will make the booking for us. What time does everyone want to tee off?

I guess seeing as it will be Jim's Birthday he should get to play when he like too.

Knowing Jim, I think around 6:30am would be perfect.

You & Jim can pick a time, we should be fine. With Jono track record of being late, Connico & I will most likely to playing the first 3 holes by ourselves. And Jono will walk off after playing 2 holes. It is a good thing Connico & I have big shoulders.

TS

Choppa
25th July 2006, 01:01 PM
Date and cost for Redcliffe?

I think it's the 10th of September, so you have plenty of time to save those penny's.

Grunt
25th July 2006, 03:19 PM
Hey can we compete amoungst ourselves in this? I know we may not be playing at the same courses but we could work something out with the ACR's of them all couldn't we. Could be a fun little side bet?

Jarro
25th July 2006, 05:13 PM
wouldn't be fun Grant 'cos i'd kick your butt :p

hehehehehe

Grunt
25th July 2006, 05:28 PM
Game On, Challenge Accepted!!!

Jarro
25th July 2006, 05:36 PM
cool, how are we gonna work this out ???

Jono
25th July 2006, 05:46 PM
cool, how are we gonna work this out ???

Simple, really ...

The handicap for the team is worked out by adding the 3 handicaps and the dividing by 6, correct?

When you add the 3 handicaps, you can factor in the ACR. So if your course plays to par, then it basically the 3 handicaps as they are. So let's say you have player A with handicap 8, player B off 12, and player C off 22. The Combined handicap would be (8+12+22)/6 = 7.

Now, let's say your course plays 2 strokes easier than par. Then you have to take away 2 from each handicap. So the combined handicap of above three players would become (6+10+20)/6 = 6.

If your course plays 2 strokes harder than par, then the combined handicap would become (10+14+24)/6 = 8.

Grunt
25th July 2006, 05:47 PM
I guess we will have to work out the result after accounting the ACR for the courses involved. Macarthur Grange is 69. So if your course is 73 and we assume 72 is par.

We get 10 under
You get 8 under

We would add 3 shot to our score giving us 7 under
and take 1 off yours to get 9 under.

Would that work?

Grunt
25th July 2006, 05:48 PM
Then CCR will not be calculated Jono, we will have to go off the ACR only.

Jono
25th July 2006, 05:53 PM
Then CCR will not be calculated Jono, we will have to go off the ACR only.

Correct. You can only go by the ACR as the CCR will not be calculated.

Not a perfect system, but better than nothing.

Jono
25th July 2006, 05:58 PM
I guess we will have to work out the result after accounting the ACR for the courses involved. Macarthur Grange is 69. So if your course is 73 and we assume 72 is par.

We get 10 under
You get 8 under

We would add 3 shot to our score giving us 7 under
and take 1 off yours to get 9 under.

Would that work?

No. That would not work.

You have to factor in the difference in the ACR in EACH player's handicap and adjust the "effective handicap" accordingly.

If a 10 marker plays on a par 72 course with ACR of 70, he "effectively" becomes a 8 marker. Conversely, if he plays on a course with par of 72 but ACR of 73, then he effectively becomes an 11 marker on that course. So the handicap adjustment has to be done to EACH player, BEFORE you divide the total by 6.

Whether it's fair or not, it's the mathematically correct way.

Jarro
25th July 2006, 06:00 PM
lost me :smt104

TS
25th July 2006, 06:06 PM

What Jono it trying to say is that we won and you lose.

Grunt
25th July 2006, 06:09 PM
Jono I do not believe you are correct there with your calculations. If it were the way you play it peoples handicap would change at every course they play at, every time. It never does so does it. Handicaps are all worked out to close to 72 as possible and ACR's make everyones handicaps the same, a 10 marker at a ACR 67 course is a 10 marker at a ACR 75 course, he/she has to score differently to manage playing to a ACR 72 that the handicap is based on.
The shot differences are not as great as full shots, maybe the A graders are like that but the higher markers would not be the same.

Jono
25th July 2006, 06:13 PM

Say we have three different courses, all with par 72. Let's call these course 1, course 2 and course 3. Course 1 has ACR of 70, Course 2 has ACR of 72 and Course 3 has ACR of 74.

Now let's take the 3 players with handicaps 8, 12, and 22.

On Course 1 (ACR 70), the "effective" handicap of player A is not 8, but 6. Yes? And effective handicap of player B is not 12, but 10. Player C's effective handicap is 20. So their combined effective handicap for this course would be (6+10+20)/6 which is 6.

If these same 3 players played on Course 2 (ACR 72), then their combined handicap would simply be (8+12+22)/6 which is 7.

Using the same logic, the combined handicap for these players on course 3 (ACR 74) would be (10+14+24)/6 which is 8.

Note how all three courses have par of 72. What really matter is the ACR compared to the par for the course.

Grunt
25th July 2006, 06:17 PM
Forget, I came up with this idea to have some fun.
It is too complicated to satify everyone. If we were serious we would have to take into account heaps of factors like;

Course Elevation (elevated climate enhanced athletes)
Weather
What type of ball each player uses
What colour Undies players are wearing, if any at all
The color of the Tees that we tee off from
The possiblilities are endlessI guess I am not mathematical enough to work out a simple side bet.

Jono
25th July 2006, 06:20 PM
Jono I do not believe you are correct there with your calculations. If it were the way you play it peoples handicap would change at every course they play at, every time. It never does so does it. Handicaps are all worked out to close to 72 as possible and ACR's make everyones handicaps the same, a 10 marker at a ACR 67 course is a 10 marker at a ACR 75 course, he/she has to score differently to manage playing to a ACR 72 that the handicap is based on.
The shot differences are not as great as full shots, maybe the A graders are like that but the higher markers would not be the same.

Grant. My maths is correct.

If we are going to compare two scramble scores from two different courses, this is the way it should be done. I'm not saying it's fair.

You can have two courses with ACR of 72 (and par of 72) and whilst in theory, these two courses should be of same difficulty, one course might set up easier for the ambrose format (say with short par 5's and 4's with eagle opportunities). You are never going to get a completely fair handicapping system in ambrose, but what I suggested works mathematically.

AndyP
25th July 2006, 06:53 PM
Interesting theory, Mr Oh. But here's some food for thought.

Maybe the difference in shots between Par and the ACR should come off the group ambrose handicap not the individuals. As opposed to the individuals playing a full round on the course, they are actually playing each shot from the position of the best shot of the group.

Hmmmmmm....

Jono
25th July 2006, 07:17 PM
Interesting theory, Mr Oh. But here's some food for thought.

Maybe the difference in shots between Par and the ACR should come off the group ambrose handicap not the individuals. As opposed to the individuals playing a full round on the course, they are actually playing each shot from the position of the best shot of the group.

Hmmmmmm....

If the total handicap was sum of the three handicaps divided by 3, then what you say will work.

However, in the Ambrose situation, the total handicap is sum of the 3 handicaps divided by 6 ... If you do as you suggest, and apply the difference between par and ACR to the group's score, then you are magnifying the difficulty (or easiness) of the course. (by a factor of 2).

As I said in the earlier post, there's no such thing as a fair handicapping system in what is essentially a mulligan golf ... But, if you go by the handicapping system where you divide by 6 (and not the number of players which is 3), then you have to account for the course difficulty to the individual's handicap BEFORE you add them up and divide by 6.

AndyP
25th July 2006, 07:27 PM
So where x = Par - ACR and a, b & c are the players handicaps,

hcap = [(a-x) + (b-x) + (c-x)]/6
or simplified to hcap = [a+b+c]/6 - x/2

that is, you work out your OZgolf Scramble handicap by taking your normal ambrose handicap and subtracting half of the difference between par and ACR.

Is everyone clear? Excellent. Good luck.

Jono
25th July 2006, 07:33 PM
So where x = Par - ACR and a, b & c are the players handicaps,

hcap = [(a-x) + (b-x) + (c-x)]/6
or simplified to hcap = [a+b+c]/6 - x/2

that is, you work out your OZgolf Scramble handicap by taking your normal ambrose handicap and subtracting half of the difference between par and ACR.

Is everyone clear? Excellent. Good luck.

At last ... an Ozgolfer who was awake during year 7 algebra ... ;)

:lol:

terryand
25th July 2006, 07:36 PM
At last ... an Ozgolfer who was awake during year 7 algebra ... ;)

:lol:

Isn't this what grows on the bottom of your pool if you don't turn the filter on :-s

Terry.