PDA

View Full Version : Heavyweight A Flex driver shaft

Dave R
8th May 2017, 02:31 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew what would be the heaviest (A flex,Senior,Light) driver shaft available I was hoping I could get one around the 90 gram region if possible.

grandmasterb
8th May 2017, 02:51 PM
Nunchuk are 107g :mrgreen:

Dave R
8th May 2017, 02:55 PM

Yes I have one of them in my driver at the moment I love the feel but have lost about 20 meters I was wondering if I could get the best of both worlds with a heavier shaft but a lighter flex.

Daves
8th May 2017, 03:01 PM

A Nunchuk (Uniflex) would probably be your best bet actually. I don't think you will find an A Flex at much over 65 grams.

grandmasterb
8th May 2017, 03:02 PM
Yes I have one of them in my driver at the moment I love the feel but have lost about 20 meters I was wondering if I could get the best of both worlds with a heavier shaft but a lighter flex.

But are you on the fairways???

Dave R
8th May 2017, 07:40 PM
But are you on the fairways???

Yeah I'm finding a lot more fairways but only having a swing speed of 85mph I am not a big hitter of the ball anyway my Drive with the Nunchuk is about 200 meters on average.

Dave R
8th May 2017, 07:44 PM
I have found a Matrix HD8 in regular flex that is 80grams not sure if it would work for my swing speed or be any longer than the Nunchuk.

Daves
8th May 2017, 07:49 PM
Yeah I'm finding a lot more fairways but only having a swing speed of 85mph I am not a big hitter of the ball anyway my Drive with the Nunchuk is about 200 meters on average.

200m with a 85mph swing speed is overs imo! What (Driver/shaft) were you hitting the 20m further? What is the Driver head you have the Chuk in ? and how long have you set the Chuk up at?

Dave R
8th May 2017, 07:53 PM
The new Callaway Fusion head 10.5* set at 12.5* weighted up to 205 grams at 43.5" with the Chuck it originally had the Project X LZ Blue A flex at 44.5" with the head at 198 grams set at 11.5*

Dave R
8th May 2017, 09:01 PM
200m with a 85mph swing speed is overs imo! What (Driver/shaft) were you hitting the 20m further? What is the Driver head you have the Chuk in ? and how long have you set the Chuk up at?

The new Callaway Fusion head 10.5* set at 12.5* weighted up to 205 grams at 43.5" with the Chuk. It originally had the Project X LZ Blue A flex at 44.5" with the head at 198 grams set at 11.5* I was hitting it 20 meters further but wasn't hitting many fairways.

Daves
8th May 2017, 09:31 PM
The new Callaway Fusion head 10.5* set at 12.5* weighted up to 205 grams at 43.5" with the Chuk. It originally had the Project X LZ Blue A flex at 44.5" with the head at 198 grams set at 11.5* I was hitting it 20 meters further but wasn't hitting many fairways.

Don't get too hung up on what flex is printed on a shaft, it can be quite misleading. I am not greatly familiar with the various versions of the LZ. I assume it is the LZ 50 version?, as it is the only one that PX list at 5.0 flex? That is miles away from the Chuk on weight and character. The issue for you is that as you go up in weight for a Driver shaft, you also go up in "flex". The LZ is a classic example as per the spec chart here;

https://www.pxshaft.com/products/project-x-lz-hand-crafted/

The heavier the shaft, the "stiffer" the flexs available.

How is your tempo/transition? Fast and aggressive or slow and rhythmic?

Dave R
9th May 2017, 07:48 AM
Don't get too hung up on what flex is printed on a shaft, it can be quite misleading. I am not greatly familiar with the various versions of the LZ. I assume it is the LZ 50 version?, as it is the only one that PX list at 5.0 flex? That is miles away from the Chuk on weight and character. The issue for you is that as you go up in weight for a Driver shaft, you also go up in "flex". The LZ is a classic example as per the spec chart here;

https://www.pxshaft.com/products/project-x-lz-hand-crafted/

The heavier the shaft, the "stiffer" the flexs available.

How is your tempo/transition? Fast and aggressive or slow and rhythmic?

Yes it is the LZ 50 my tempo transition would be average so everything says a lighter shaft should work but I just like the feel of a heavier shaft and head combination I hit it so more consistently

Daves
9th May 2017, 08:02 AM
Yes it is the LZ 50 my tempo transition would be average so everything says a lighter shaft should work but I just like the feel of a heavier shaft and head combination I hit it so more consistently

Yep, understand what you are saying. The downside of the extra "stability" of a heavier shaft is 1) slightly slower swing speed and 2) shorter set up (and less speed again) to maintain SW. So distance is always going to suffer to some degree.

My suggestion would be to try a heavier regular, or find a lower launching (stiffer tipped) A Flex. There is no standard for flex ratings as you know, and most indicative flexes are more about butt flex anyway. It sounds like you are after more stability through the strike, and additional weight or tip stiffness can help there. The Chuk is the master of that, but at a some distance penalty as you found (though 20m sound a lot).

It is a shame you aren't in Brissy, I could lend you a few shafts to try in the Fusion.

grandmasterb
9th May 2017, 08:15 AM
Yep, understand what you are saying. The downside of the extra "stability" of a heavier shaft is 1) slightly slower swing speed and 2) shorter set up (and less speed again) to maintain SW. So distance is always going to suffer to some degree.

My suggestion would be to try a heavier regular, or find a lower launching (stiffer tipped) A Flex. There is no standard for flex ratings as you know, and most indicative flexes are more about butt flex anyway. It sounds like you are after more stability through the strike, and additional weight or tip stiffness can help there. The Chuk is the master of that, but at a some distance penalty as you found (though 20m sound a lot).

It is a shame you aren't in Brissy, I could lend you a few shafts to try in the Fusion.

Or even try back weighting the grip could help as well, I know it does for me.

Dave R
9th May 2017, 08:31 AM

Do you think the Matrix Ozik HD8 in regular flex would be worth a try it's 80 grams low launch low spin.

Daves
9th May 2017, 08:38 AM
Do you think the Matrix Ozik HD8 in regular flex would be worth a try it's 80 grams low launch low spin.

Definitely. Reg Flex don't come much heavier than that, and I have always been a fan of the Matrix Ozik series. It sounds like it was made to do just what you are trying to achieve;

http://www.matrix-golf-shafts.com/proddetail.php?prod=hd8ozikbt

Dave R
9th May 2017, 08:46 AM
Definitely. Reg Flex don't come much heavier than that, and I have always been a fan of the Matrix Ozik series. It sounds like it was made to do just what you are trying to achieve;

http://www.matrix-golf-shafts.com/proddetail.php?prod=hd8ozikbt

Ok thanks for that do you think I should play it at 44.5" or 43.5 like the Chuk.

Daves
9th May 2017, 09:26 AM
Ok thanks for that do you think I should play it at 44.5" or 43.5 like the Chuk.

Start at 44.5" and see how it goes. It is easier to lope some more off later, rather than having to extend it, if it is too short. The Chuk is pretty unique in the length set up, I doubt you will need to go down to 43.5" with the Matrix. And remember that distance will be affected, as you go shorter.

The key to tuning is whether the ball is mostly coming out of the centre on good swings. If not you can trying gripping down 1/2" and see whether that improves the situation? If you have a range to do some testing, some talc powder on the face can help with identifying where the ball is being hit on the face, if you don't have any impact strips to do so. Some heads will show the impact marks without any extra help. I haven't used a Fusion, so I don't know in that regard. But the XR15/16s are good for this, from memory.

Dave R
9th May 2017, 10:24 AM
Ok thanks for all of your help Dave I will get a HD8 and give it a try.