PDA

View Full Version : The Masters 2017

jimandr
3rd April 2017, 12:11 AM
As the dedicated Masters Channel has started on Foxtel (ch 507), it is time to start a dedicated thread for the best tournament of the year.

From what I can see of the program guide, there appears to be a mix of official films for each year, which usually consist of the highlights over an hour, and selected full 3 hour coverage of final rounds.

For my predictions, I'm going very conservative for the win by going DJ, Rory and Jon Rahm. My top 10 roughies at good odds are Thomas Pieters and Lee Westwood (always goes well at Augusta), and having just seen him on the Houston Open coverage, how about Angel Cabrera as a top 25 shot at big odds.

I read that rain is forecast for much of the week, so the course might be a bit softer than usual. Should favour those who can hit it very high and land it softly near the flags.

Technically, 5 days to go.

PeteyD
3rd April 2017, 04:51 AM
Yah I get the channel on Foxtel Play!

BUSHY
3rd April 2017, 02:29 PM
Watching Tiger in 97 as we speak after watching Faldo back-to-back in 89/90.

AaronBoy
4th April 2017, 12:35 PM
Ready to get into this!

Dave R
4th April 2017, 12:56 PM
My tip is Dust Bin Johnson he is hitting the ball really solid, his wedge play has improved heaps and he is putting really well.

PeteyD
4th April 2017, 01:16 PM
Going out a limb there, considering he has won the last 3 tournaments he entered. Has to be favourite going in.

It's the masters though, I am thinking Jon Rahm has a good shot (only a marginally bigger limb ... ).

Edit - Is Jason Day playing?

BUSHY
4th April 2017, 01:28 PM
Going out a limb there, considering he has won the last 3 tournaments he entered. Has to be favourite going in.

It's the masters though, I am thinking Jon Rahm has a good shot (only a marginally bigger limb ... ).

Edit - Is Jason Day playing?

Looks like Jason is playing. Has been there all week, has publicly said he's in a great place mentally thanks to his mums surgery.

Dustin is on fire. Interesting that Rory has flown under the radar compared to recent years. Not as much hype regarding the career slam this year. Could be a good thing for him and his high draw. Literally can't wait. The masters channel has been awesome and only extends the 4 days of interruptions to a full week now.

PeteyD
4th April 2017, 01:49 PM
Might be worth a little on J Day. Rickie been going well too. Should be a great masters!

backintheswing
4th April 2017, 02:33 PM
I only place my larger bets on Sunday night, our time. Can still get great odds and way more chance of a collect.

I will take my 2 titleist bois, Jordan and Justin though before the tourney starts.

Sydney Hacker
4th April 2017, 02:36 PM
Looks like Jason is playing. Has been there all week, has publicly said he's in a great place mentally thanks to his mums surgery. Dustin is on fire. Interesting that Rory has flown under the radar compared to recent years. Not as much hype regarding the career slam this year. Could be a good thing for him and his high draw. Literally can't wait. The masters channel has been awesome and only extends the 4 days of interruptions to a full week now. Unless it rains the greens might be a little too firm for Rory.

BUSHY
4th April 2017, 02:37 PM
Unless it rains the greens might be a little too firm for Rory.

Good thing for him the weather report is for a bit of rain.

3oneday
4th April 2017, 08:35 PM
Can't wait, what about the fellas that won a couple of tourneys early on? Justin Thomas or Hideki?

Captain Nemo
4th April 2017, 09:00 PM
Yep can't wait.
Stenson, Reed, Hatton e/w for me.

BUSHY
4th April 2017, 09:12 PM
Yep can't wait.

Hatton is paying good money for top rookie.

BUSHY
4th April 2017, 09:13 PM
Can't wait, what about the fellas that won a couple of tourneys early on? Justin Thomas or Hideki?

You'd think the height these two hit the ball they'd be a good fit but neither of them have been in any kind of form since their early season run.

PerryGroves
4th April 2017, 10:06 PM
My tip is Dust Bin Johnson he is hitting the ball really solid, his wedge play has improved heaps and he is putting really well.

You could get an apprentiship with Tony Brassell giving us the favourite.

Sean O'Hair @850 is my roughie, bit more on Thomas and Koepka.

Heading down for my usual Mornington trip on Friday, St AB, Portsea and National Moonah on Monday after the golf. Gold.

Captain Nemo
4th April 2017, 10:23 PM
Nice PG, hit em well.

jimandr
4th April 2017, 10:27 PM
Yep can't wait.

That's a courageous wager.

Henrik has missed two cuts in a row and can't hit the side of a barn, and Patrick hasn't done anything this year.

Hatton might get you back to square. He is playing well right now, and has a very similar form line to Willett from last year.

Watching a few of the earlier Masters today, it struck me what a fickle game this is. You have to take the opportunities you get, as you might not get any more. There was Chris DeMarco being a consistent contender, certain to break through and win a major, but he didn't. And looking back at Swartzel after 2011, he looked a certainty for more majors, but he hasn't done it, and his time might have passed.

Captain Nemo
4th April 2017, 10:29 PM
I'm a punter Jim, you think I give a **** about stats...?

oldracer
4th April 2017, 10:47 PM
You could get an apprentiship with Tony Brassell giving us the favourite.Sean O'Hair @850 is my roughie, bit more on Thomas and Koepka.Heading down for my usual Mornington trip on Friday, St AB, Portsea and National Moonah on Monday after the golf. Gold.Wow awseome weekend, enjoy, whst odds Luke List top 10???

oldracer
4th April 2017, 10:49 PM
I'm a punter Jim, you think I give a **** about stats...? Luke List...what's his odds L???

PerryGroves
4th April 2017, 11:02 PM
Luke List...what's his odds L???

Write your own ticket.

http://www.pgatour.com/inside-the-field/2017/03/31/the-masters-tournament-augusta.html

Captain Nemo
4th April 2017, 11:16 PM
?

jimandr
5th April 2017, 12:23 AM

Just in case those responses are too subtle for you, OR, Luke didn't make the field.

Currently, I'm watching From the Range Live. It is heavy going.

It really is one for the super golf nerds. The commentators are struggling to find things to talk about, and basically just filling in time. The trackman stuff is good, but the bottom line is that it just isn't very interesting watching people hitting golf balls.

Toxic
5th April 2017, 05:28 AM
Rory for me.

Best 4 days of each year

oldracer
5th April 2017, 09:30 AM
Just in case those responses are too subtle for you, OR, Luke didn't make the field.

Currently, I'm watching From the Range Live. It is heavy going.

It really is one for the super golf nerds. The commentators are struggling to find things to talk about, and basically just filling in time. The trackman stuff is good, but the bottom line is that it just isn't very interesting watching people hitting golf balls.well well, should have looked at the entries before I picked my smokie, watched 2011 last night, wow what an unreal back nine with so many in contention

Wenz
5th April 2017, 11:19 AM
JT
Hideki
DJ

All 3 have had big starts to their 2017 year, have the long game, have the ball striking & have had hot putters this year.

BUSHY
5th April 2017, 01:43 PM
Jason Day is going to do something special this week. I can feel it.

https://www.facebook.com/TheMasters/posts/10154437985348161

PeteyD
5th April 2017, 02:20 PM
It has a fairy tale feel about it.

Dotty
5th April 2017, 02:37 PM
I'm waiting to hear about the bloke now leading the Masters, who was inspired to take up golf by a signature from Arnold Palmer as a 6yo.

BUSHY
5th April 2017, 02:39 PM

He's got the game.

SundayHack
5th April 2017, 02:42 PM
Sportsbet have a promo bonus bet up to $50 to bet on the outright after your first bet on the outright is made. Have had $50 on DJ and the bonus 50 on Spieth.

SundayHack
5th April 2017, 02:50 PM
I think DJ is excellent value at $7.50. Has won his last 3 starts, T6 and T4 in the last 2 Masters and got rid of the majors monkey of his back last year. He won't be that price after he comes out and shoots 62 on Thursday :wink:

benno_r
5th April 2017, 03:00 PM
Sportsbet have a promo bonus bet up to $50 to bet on the outright after your first bet on the outright is made. Have had $50 on DJ and the bonus 50 on Spieth.
Where is that mentioned mate? Just logged onto sportsbet on my phone couldn't find it anywhere.

SundayHack
5th April 2017, 03:08 PM
Where is that mentioned mate? Just logged onto sportsbet on my phone couldn't find it anywhere.

Just tried finding it on the site as well and couldn't. I got an email yesterday. I will try and flick it through. I did have to chase the bonus bet up with them though.

3Puttpete
5th April 2017, 03:38 PM
I got it too

benno_r
5th April 2017, 03:41 PM
Not for me. If you don't get the email you don't get the bonus.

jimandr
5th April 2017, 05:33 PM
https://www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/the-masters:-player-by-player/49176

For those who haven't made their choice yet, this article is essential reading.

Apart from some good one-liners, there is also some good info on prior records. I didn't realise Martin Kaymer has such an awful record.

BUSHY
5th April 2017, 05:48 PM
https://www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/the-masters:-player-by-player/49176

For those who haven't made their choice yet, this article is essential reading.

Apart from some good one-liners, there is also some good info on prior records. I didn't realise Martin Kaymer has such an awful record.

When he won the PGA and then got to #1 he tried to change his swing to hit draw as he believed his stock fade wouldn't allow him to compete at Augusta. That's why he ended up out of the top 100. Funny how he went back to his old swing and promptly won the US Open.

BUSHY
5th April 2017, 06:54 PM
A bit odd watching Jordan birdie 6,7,8,9 and listening to the comments knowing he's going to lose.

oldracer
5th April 2017, 08:07 PM
Wow 12.......I would do that

Chilled
5th April 2017, 08:31 PM
Spieth

That is all.

This may be a better way to play it: http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/04/05/19/15/jordan-spieth-makes-wonder-shot-during-practice-round-at-the-masters

Ron Burgundy
6th April 2017, 07:51 AM
http://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2017-dustin-johnson-injures-back-on-wednesday-questionable-to-compete?mbid=social_twitter

Captain Nemo
6th April 2017, 08:27 AM
http://www.golfdigest.com/story/masters-2017-dustin-johnson-injures-back-on-wednesday-questionable-to-compete?mbid=social_twitterPossible bender with the missus....?

Ron Burgundy
6th April 2017, 08:36 AM
Possible bender with the missus....? Wouldn't be the first time he's missed the masters due to a 'bad back'.

Captain Nemo
6th April 2017, 08:59 AM
Lol, shaggers back I'd say!

Chilled
6th April 2017, 09:31 AM
I wonder if it's really a bad nose? ; )

Anyways, hopefully weather wont be a real problem this weekend.... https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/golf/3260906/the-masters-2017-par-3-contest-tornadoes-and-giant-hailstones-forecast/

Johnno
6th April 2017, 09:41 AM
He might be doing what Jday did in last years matchplay. Feign a bad back then step up and rip a 300m drive on the 1st before running away with it.

SundayHack
6th April 2017, 09:55 AM
Beware the injured golfer.... I might just take some more of the $9.50 that is on offer now...

Dave R
6th April 2017, 10:12 AM
You could get an apprentiship with Tony Brassell giving us the favourite.

Sean O'Hair @850 is my roughie, bit more on Thomas and Koepka.

Heading down for my usual Mornington trip on Friday, St AB, Portsea and National Moonah on Monday after the golf. Gold.

My head say DJ my heart say JD.

jimandr
6th April 2017, 04:46 PM
You guys are on the wrong track with DJ. He fell down some stairs.

Was he pushed? There are only about 50 playing suspects, and does BITS have a watertight alibi?

Bets placed. I've left DJ out. Assuming his injury report is accurate, with the way he swings any type of back trouble and he may not even start. Rory to win, Sneds, Fitzpatrick and Casey top 6, Pieters top 10.

Maybe a few more bets after round 1, when we see who handled the forecast wind and who hasn't.

At this point I can't see the usual extra features of amen corner etc on the Foxtel guide. I know they are on the Masters website, but i'd prefer to watch the easy way though Foxtel. There doesn't appear to be any early coverage on Fox either. Nothing before 5.00am.

BUSHY
6th April 2017, 07:56 PM
Live from 04:30 in QLD. Haven't heard about "the red button" this year.

BUSHY
6th April 2017, 07:57 PM
I'm watching the 1983 Back 9 and I'm reminded how much I miss Ken Venturi as a commentator.

backintheswing
6th April 2017, 08:08 PM
Live from the range at 1030pm tonight for 2 hours

SundayHack
6th April 2017, 08:12 PM
Live from the range at 1030pm tonight for 2 hours
That is boring as bat shit. Wonder how long until they take a leaf out of the Opens book and show full coverage? If they are going to show 2 hours of blokes warming up on the range they might as well show the real thing.

BUSHY
6th April 2017, 08:35 PM
That is boring as bat shit. Wonder how long until they take a leaf out of the Opens book and show full coverage? If they are going to show 2 hours of blokes warming up on the range they might as well show the real thing.

I like it. But I'm a golf nerd. Plenty of tips and tricks to pick up.

Jerrymoo
6th April 2017, 09:01 PM
I have Leishman and Matsuyama.

JADO75
6th April 2017, 10:33 PM
Justin Thomas or DJ, dark horse Rory

Johnno
6th April 2017, 10:47 PM
Nice words about Arnie before the ceremonial tee shots, good to see Fowler out watching too

fredstar
7th April 2017, 04:35 AM
And DJ is OUT

Johnno
7th April 2017, 05:19 AM
Spieth with a 9...ouch

Ron Burgundy
7th April 2017, 05:19 AM
Holy shit. Speith just had a 9. He looks shot.

Captain Nemo
7th April 2017, 05:37 AM
Spieth with a 9...ouch

Meh...easy to do, I have them often!

benno_r
7th April 2017, 05:44 AM
What? That's not boring????

Dcanto
7th April 2017, 06:16 AM
Just saw an interesting stat. 59 consecutive years that at least one player has completed the first round with a score in the 60s. So far no player has had a round in the 60s.

Dcanto
7th April 2017, 06:38 AM
The stat will continue to 60 consecutive years. McGirt with a 69.

chappy1970
7th April 2017, 07:00 AM
When you just don't want to miss the Masters.

Communal tv room in Akaroa whilst campervaning around NZ.

Coverage has been great and surprisingly very few ad breaks.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/4372bf64ec82b9c2dd4aaac186adc49a.jpg

Captain Nemo
7th April 2017, 07:00 AM
Lol, who deosnt watch the Masters!!!

3oneday
7th April 2017, 07:52 AM
Foxtel coverage has been so much better than any free to air I can remember.

BUSHY
7th April 2017, 08:28 AM
Lol, who deosnt watch the Masters!!!

Best weekend of golf watching all year. Followed closely by the Open Championship.

Steve57
7th April 2017, 08:32 AM
Westwood and Hoffman on fire!

WBennett
7th April 2017, 08:49 AM
What? That's not boring????

I lolled

3Puttpete
7th April 2017, 09:01 AM
When you just don't want to miss the Masters.

Communal tv room in Akaroa whilst campervaning around NZ.

Coverage has been great and surprisingly very few ad breaks.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170406/4372bf64ec82b9c2dd4aaac186adc49a.jpg

Foxtel coverage has been so much better than any free to air I can remember.

The coverage (limit on ads, no aerial shots etc) is dictated by Augusta national. The tv networks have very little say over what happens. It's unlike any other sporting event in the world.

BUSHY
7th April 2017, 09:27 AM
The coverage (limit on ads, no aerial shots etc) is dictated by Augusta national. The tv networks have very little say over what happens. It's unlike any other sporting event in the world.

This gets mentioned every year but still I'm sick of Geoff Ogle[emoji13][emoji13]

3Puttpete
7th April 2017, 09:44 AM
This gets mentioned every year but still I'm sick of Geoff Ogle[emoji13][emoji13]

He's no Cameron Daddo

Johnno
7th April 2017, 09:46 AM
Just checked the leaderboard for the 1st time in a few hours ..Hoffman where the f@$k did that come from

backintheswing
7th April 2017, 09:47 AM

Very good

BUSHY
7th April 2017, 09:49 AM
Who's Geoff Ogle

Obviously you haven't seen the Drummond ad running on the Masters channel this week.

BUSHY
7th April 2017, 09:55 AM
Happy to see Rory finish strong. Could've put himself out of it on day one.

dazza99
7th April 2017, 10:44 AM
Justin Thomas or DJ, dark horse Rory

Er, how can one of the favorites be called a "dark horse"? :)

backintheswing
7th April 2017, 11:13 AM
Obviously you haven't seen the Drummond ad running on the Masters channel this week.

No I haven't. Working remote.

BUSHY
7th April 2017, 11:48 AM
No I haven't. Working remote.

In the ad some bozo says "Awesome... Geoff Ogle" obviously some reference to Geoff Ogilvy and Joe Ogilvie getting confused and maybe Brett gets called Geoff sometimes. Either way it's stupid like most Drummond ads come Major time.

Lagerlover
7th April 2017, 12:50 PM
Yep, pretty sure it's a distinct reference to Joe

WBennett
7th April 2017, 01:30 PM
So I happened to miss Speiths 9 - did he dunk 2 in the soup, or was it even messier than that?

BUSHY
7th April 2017, 01:34 PM
So I happened to miss Speiths 9 - did he dunk 2 in the soup, or was it even messier than that?

Didn't see before the 3 putts. Left the first one 12 feet short and just went from there.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/watch-jordan-spieths-masters-first-round-unravels-with-quadruplebogey-9/news-story/2c3ada0500e28c66719c35d5182ee73b

SundayHack
7th April 2017, 01:51 PM
1 Drive in the fairway
2 Lay up short of creek
3 Hit green, spun back, creek.
4 Penalty
5 Air mailed green with wedge
6 Blade wedge, almost back into creek
7 1st putt half tracker
8 2nd putt still leaves it short
9 In the hole

Easy 9.

You can watch it on the Masters website. Just click on Spieths name on the leaderboard, then click on the hole.

Ron Burgundy
7th April 2017, 01:53 PM
So I happened to miss Speiths 9 - did he dunk 2 in the soup, or was it even messier than that? Layer up on the par 5, dunked his first wedge, flew the green with the next, difficult chip ran all the way down the front of the green, first putt got halfway to the hole, next putt was well short too, holed the 3rd putt. Not often I can relate to the guy, but that's pretty consistent with my approach to par 5s too.

SundayHack
7th April 2017, 01:54 PM
http://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/2017/r1_34046_15.html?promo=highlight_lb

Video here.

jimandr
7th April 2017, 05:46 PM
Awesome play by Hoffman, Westwood, Rory and one or two others late in the day. It didn't look easier late in the day, but the scores suggest it was.

If the greens stay softish, there could be quite a few more Hoffman style rounds come out of the blue when players suddenly get hot. So guys well off the pace after two rounds could easily still come from the clouds and win.

The 18th cost my tips badly. Two three-putt doubles from my stable of stars.

I'm not death-riding C Hoffman (indeed I'd like to see him win) but he has leaked away leads a number of times in his career, and hardly ever actually won from good positions. His round may have inflated the odds for some of the others.

I realise The Masters can do what they like, but I'm disappointed in the coverage. Nothing before 5.00am, although they started at 10.00pm our time. I tried to get the extra features on the Masters website, but it wouldn't load for me. Just as well the Foxtel IQ is working.

3oneday
7th April 2017, 06:38 PM
Layer up on the par 5, dunked his first wedge, flew the green with the next, difficult chip ran all the way down the front of the green, first putt got halfway to the hole, next putt was well short too, holed the 3rd putt. Not often I can relate to the guy, but that's pretty consistent with my approach to par 5s too.not that 60.04 again I hope.

Eag's
7th April 2017, 09:00 PM
Load up on Westwood.....he is due ;)

Bitter
7th April 2017, 09:21 PM
Load up on Westwood.....he is due ;)

Due to make a 3 foot putt maybe but not sure about winning a major :roll:

BUSHY
7th April 2017, 09:22 PM
Due to make a 3 foot putt maybe but not sure about winning a major :roll:

Has a good record here. By comparisons.

Bitter
7th April 2017, 09:24 PM
Has a good record here. By comparisons.

Yeah I can't seem to let go of his last Ryder Cup performance unfortunately. Has always been one of my favourite players but frustrating to follow.

BUSHY
7th April 2017, 09:29 PM
Yeah I can't seem to let go of his last Ryder Cup performance unfortunately. Has always been one of my favourite players but frustrating to follow.

Yeah. In hindsight he made an international move to the US, then had a marriage breakdown, got divorced, family went back to the UK, he then followed. Been an eventful couple of years for him.

Bitter
7th April 2017, 09:35 PM
Yeah. In hindsight he made an international move to the US, then had a marriage breakdown, got divorced, family went back to the UK, he then followed. Been an eventful couple of years for him.

Fair call, I had no idea about any of that. I just like to Rag on people that putt like me haha!

damoocow
7th April 2017, 09:44 PM
I'm watching the 1983 Back 9 and I'm reminded how much I miss Ken Venturi as a commentator.

I don't - he was as self important as Baker Finch and Faldo are now - good riddance to him.

TheNuclearOne
7th April 2017, 09:49 PM
I don't - he was as self important as Baker Finch and Faldo are now - good riddance to him.

Who are your fave commentators Moo?

Lagerlover
7th April 2017, 09:51 PM
This'll be good

BUSHY
7th April 2017, 09:55 PM
This'll be good

Can't wait.

damoocow
7th April 2017, 09:59 PM
Who are your fave commentators Moo?

Could stand Peter Alliss [only because I grew up watching ABC Pro Celebrity Golf] - can just take Nobilo - and barely Grady [ bit of a dribbling Bogan] - McCord was fair but apart from that off the top of my head the rest are either suck ups or banal. The audio I heard in today's telecast was pretty crap - you'd think they were playing the hardest sport in the world on the hardest ever course in the worst ever conditions.....seriously it's a commentary wankfest.

BUSHY
8th April 2017, 05:41 AM
Watching Rory and Rahm tee off 18 makes me wish they had Protracer here. I wonder why ANGC don't have it?

Toxic
8th April 2017, 06:01 AM
Rorys approach to 18, sooo unlucky

chappy1970
8th April 2017, 06:21 AM
Adam Scott putting ????

Toxic
8th April 2017, 06:53 AM
Adam Scott putting ???? Been good for most of today

chappy1970
8th April 2017, 07:04 AM
Ok, following on the Internet sd they don't have pay tv at this park

Ron Burgundy
8th April 2017, 07:06 AM
Adam Scott putting ???? Just missed a couple of short ones on 13 & 14. Otherwise ok.

Daves
8th April 2017, 09:21 AM

With Kanye West or Karl Stefanovic at natural 10s, where would they rate on the self importance scale Damo?

chappy1970
8th April 2017, 09:37 AM
With so many within 5 of the lead, it's going to be a cracking weekend at the Masters.

Really happy to see Curtis Luck make the cut at his first attempt.

BayBum
8th April 2017, 02:06 PM
Looking through the list of players that missed the cut, the masters is definitely on its own when it comes to course difficulty.

I hope Sergio stays in the mix and gives it a good run. Always been a fan and i think he is getting better with age. A lot more likable at least, without the hissy fits.

Roll on moving day !

Ferrins
9th April 2017, 07:23 PM
Pumped!

FuzzyJuzzy
9th April 2017, 07:29 PM
Say what you will about Jordan Spieth, but I thought his "what would Arnie do?" phrase to Mike Greller while facing up to his second shot on 13 in R3 today was bloody fantastic.
Anyway, with Rory seemingly out of it, I hope Sergio gets the win in the morning...

Ron Burgundy
9th April 2017, 08:24 PM
I can't wait for tomorrow. If Scotty can get a few more of those putts to drop instead of shaving the cup or circling it he's a big chance. Sergio winning his first major, at the Masters, on what would have been Seve's 60th birthday, would be incredible.

But if I was putting my last $10 on it, it'd be going on the boring, balding, ball whispering Speith.

TheNuclearOne
9th April 2017, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't count Fowler out he could be due a big one.

BUSHY
9th April 2017, 08:45 PM
Either way it's going to be awesome. I've been talking up Rory shooting 62

3Puttpete
9th April 2017, 08:48 PM
I can't wait for tomorrow. If Scotty can get a few more of those putts to drop instead of shaving the cup or circling it he's a big chance. Sergio winning his first major, at the Masters, on what would have been Seve's 60th birthday, would be incredible.

But if I was putting my last $10 on it, it'd be going on the boring, balding, ball whispering Speith.

Balding Jordan Spieth. Great song

Bitter
9th April 2017, 08:49 PM
I now have the luxury of being able to watch it all (wife has been violently ill all day so have to stay home tomorrow with the kids)

wazamac
9th April 2017, 08:53 PM
C'mon Sergio. Get the monkey off your back

jimandr
9th April 2017, 09:53 PM
Either way it's going to be awesome. I've been talking up Rory shooting 62

He has some of my money weighing him down, so he is no chance. Indeed while some of my money is still alive, it will take minor miracles for me to collect.

I don't think I'll really mind though. There are a number of cinderella stories to cheer for, and even those who have won majors before would be deserving winners should they win again.

One thing struck me while watching Justin Rose though. Has anybody won a major using the claw grip? I can't think of anybody.

3Puttpete
9th April 2017, 10:05 PM
He has some of my money weighing him down, so he is no chance. Indeed while some of my money is still alive, it will take minor miracles for me to collect.

I don't think I'll really mind though. There are a number of cinderella stories to cheer for, and even those who have won majors before would be deserving winners should they win again.

One thing struck me while watching Justin Rose though. Has anybody won a major using the claw grip? I can't think of anybody.

Did Chubbs win one?

Lagerlover
9th April 2017, 10:47 PM
Came third to Vic

Jazz18
9th April 2017, 11:38 PM

Phil Mickelson, The Open Championship?

Ferrins
10th April 2017, 03:42 AM
Ready! Expert commentary by Paul Gow, bonus!

Johnno
10th April 2017, 05:00 AM
Usual Scott , drives just through the green on a 350yd par 4 then misses a short birdie putt

3Puttpete
10th April 2017, 05:11 AM
Came third to Vic

[emoji1319]

Lagerlover
10th April 2017, 06:17 AM
Need Schwartz to get caught in the corner, +5 from here on in, and my man Grace birdie 18

Lagerlover
10th April 2017, 06:37 AM
Nice bogey on 18 Brenda

Chilled
10th April 2017, 07:39 AM
Oh oh, Spieth double bogey on the 12 th.

Lagerlover
10th April 2017, 07:39 AM
Really is a game of inches..
Schwartz misses the third step walking out of the locker room to the 1st tee, twists his ankle and it's...

KA CHING!! another smart bet.

Jazz18
10th April 2017, 07:48 AM
What's with all the f&$kin commercials on Foxtel! It's ridiculous!

Jazz18
10th April 2017, 07:52 AM
And what's with Sergio dropping in a hazard? I didn't think you could drop it in a hazard except for like casual water in a bunker?

3Puttpete
10th April 2017, 07:55 AM
Was out of the hazard

Chilled
10th April 2017, 08:12 AM
Sergio!!

Chilled
10th April 2017, 08:26 AM
Oh my god. Wow.

KristianJ
10th April 2017, 08:29 AM
How good is golf?

PeteyD
10th April 2017, 08:31 AM
Go Sergio!

SundayHack
10th April 2017, 08:34 AM
Go Rose!

Lagerlover
10th April 2017, 08:46 AM
Go Kang!

backintheswing
10th April 2017, 08:56 AM
Hi Jordan

WBennett
10th April 2017, 09:02 AM
Wowee!

SundayHack
10th April 2017, 09:04 AM
Well played Sergio. Hit some crackers coming in.

KristianJ
I saw Justin and Sergio's 2nd shots, headed out to start work and the boss sent me back out to watch the rest...

But if it goes.to a playoff he might not be quite as accommodating.

SundayHack
Wow

backintheswing
10th April 2017, 09:06 AM
Wow

Multi one of them up in your punters club bet

SundayHack
10th April 2017, 09:11 AM
Multi one of them up in your punters club betAlready got on Rose last night.... Don't want the punters club curse to undo it

backintheswing
10th April 2017, 09:22 AM
Already got on Rose last night.... Don't want the punters club curse to undo it

The curse is strong

Chilled
10th April 2017, 09:30 AM
Sergio!!!!!! Great win! So happy for him.

PeteyD
10th April 2017, 09:31 AM
Great to see him win a major.

Lagerlover
10th April 2017, 09:36 AM
Aye Curumba!

wazamac
10th April 2017, 09:45 AM
Great win Sergio. Monkey has been banished.

SundayHack
10th April 2017, 09:54 AM
Great to see the pleasure Danny Willet had in handing Sergio his jacket. Unlike the pleasure Jordan showed Danny last year.

TheNuclearOne
10th April 2017, 10:03 AM
Epic.

Ferrins
10th April 2017, 10:25 AM
How good for golf!

Jazz18
10th April 2017, 10:28 AM
Was out of the hazard

Yeah, realised he was left of the hazard not long after I posted this.

Great to see Sergio win it. Has been coming for a long time and he played so well towards the end. The eagle on 15 was epic!

wazandnic
10th April 2017, 10:51 AM
Another sensational finish! Half way through the round when Rose made a hat trick of birdies and got out to 2 shot lead I thought it was all over and it was actually going to fizzle into a nothing finish. He was clinical and Sergio showed glimpses of Sergio. But how good was that dual. Nerves of steel both of them!

So happy for Sergio to get the no major monkey off his back and what a tournament and way to do it.

goughy
10th April 2017, 10:57 AM
Without Paytv and working etc, I haven't really gotten to watch golf for a while. But this has brought a much needed smile to my face. I'm so happy for him to have won it. I still remember him running and jumping up the fairway. Good on ya Serg.

goughy
10th April 2017, 11:02 AM
And he's only 37! Feels like he's been around forever......... cause he has really!

KristianJ
10th April 2017, 12:17 PM
http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/04/09/masters-2017-sergio-garcia-beats-justin-rose-playoff-win-first-major

Great read here...

Chilled
10th April 2017, 12:27 PM
Great to see the pleasure Danny Willet had in handing Sergio his jacket. Unlike the pleasure Jordan showed Danny last year.:roll:

SundayHack
10th April 2017, 12:39 PM
:roll:
Why the rolled eyes

BUSHY
10th April 2017, 12:44 PM
Choke on that you Septic Tanks!!!! Jordan and Rickie wilted like snowflakes.

Shreko
10th April 2017, 12:45 PM
Great win Sergio, On Seve's birthday as well!!!!!!

Jazz18
10th April 2017, 07:53 PM
Choke on that you Septic Tanks!!!! Jordan and Rickie wilted like snowflakes.

So did Hoffman and Moore. Surprised Rickie did though......

Lagerlover
10th April 2017, 08:31 PM
And Gurty

3Puttpete
10th April 2017, 08:35 PM
And Scott?

BUSHY
10th April 2017, 08:35 PM
Kuchar with his ace and subsequent back door top 5 was the only[emoji631] on the front page.

Lagerlover
10th April 2017, 08:38 PM
Kuchar was a highlight for me too

Jazz18
10th April 2017, 08:39 PM
Kuchar with his ace and subsequent back door top 5 was the only[emoji631] on the front page.

I'm not a big fan of Kuchar but he definitely deserves some kudos. He was at the back of 18 watching the playoff and congratulated Sergio as he walked off the green. That's pretty good stuff.

BUSHY
10th April 2017, 08:49 PM
I'm not a big fan of Kuchar but he definitely deserves some kudos. He was at the back of 18 watching the playoff and congratulated Sergio as he walked off the green. That's pretty good stuff.

Generally he's not exciting but he's a walking talking cash machine. $38m over 12 years on tour. Come a long way after low Amateur at the Masters a long time ago.

FuzzyJuzzy
10th April 2017, 09:32 PM
I'm honestly am so damn happy for Sergio. The amount of times he's come so close to winning a major, and then after missing the cut at The Masters a couple of years ago and then saying maybe he doesn't have what it takes to win a major....I think everyone in golf was very happy to see him win it.Also, it was so great how the final round played out. It was shaping up as the young yanks (Spieth/Fowler) trying to overhaul the grizzled European vets, but in the end the young yanks fell apart and the Euro vets pulled away from the field.And it really did feel like matchplay between Rosie and Sergio. Square at the start, square after 18. Sergio's good shots were better than Rosie's good shots, but Sergio's misses were bigger than Rosie's misses. And Rosie (even with that gumby-looking putter he's now using) putted better than Sergio on the whole, although Sergio putted well too. Sergio showed he meant business with that super solid birdie on the opening hole. Their shots under pressure were insane. Sergio jagging that par on 13 and halving the hole after Rosie was on back fringe for two was redonk. Sergio's 8-iron into 15 for eagle was totally nuts. As was his wedge into the 72nd green. And so many clutch up n downs to save par from both of them. The whole tournament was awesome....best Masters since Scotty's win in 2013. Wonder how DJ would've fared... . Rosie might win another US Open in a couple months...

Johnny Canuck
10th April 2017, 09:39 PM
I'm honestly am so damn happy for Sergio. The amount of times he's come so close to winning a major, and then after missing the cut at The Masters a couple of years ago and then saying maybe he doesn't have what it takes to win a major....I think everyone in golf was very happy to see him win it.Also, it was so great how the final round played out. It was shaping up as the young yanks (Spieth/Fowler) trying to overhaul the grizzled European vets, but in the end the young yanks fell apart and the Euro vets pulled away from the field.And it really did feel like matchplay between Rosie and Sergio. Square at the start, square after 18. Sergio's good shots were better than Rosie's good shots, but Sergio's misses were bigger than Rosie's misses. And Rosie (even with that gumby-looking putter he's now using) putted better than Sergio on the whole, although Sergio putted well too. Sergio showed he meant business with that super solid birdie on the opening hole. Their shots under pressure were insane. Sergio jagging that par on 13 and halving the hole after Rosie was on back fringe for two was redonk. Sergio's 8-iron into 15 for eagle was totally nuts. As was his wedge into the 72nd green. And so many clutch up n downs to save par from both of them. The whole tournament was awesome....best Masters since Scotty's win in 2013. Wonder how DJ would've fared... . Rosie might win another US Open in a couple months...

I agree with you about being happy for Sergio.

Greatest major result for me since Mike Weir.

jimandr
10th April 2017, 10:30 PM
I think we need to teach Fuzzy about paragraphs.

He had reason to be excited though. Once again the Masters showed why it is the best tournament, and Augusta showed why it is the perfect place for a major.

Firstly, I'd like to thank Paul Casey for holing his putt for birdie on 18, and thus getting himself a top 6 and getting me out of a financial hole.

Then I'd like to acknowledge the great play of Sergio and Rosey, and also the great attitude they displayed. They were friends playing for after round drinks, cheering good shots and egging each other on. Too often these guys put their game faces on and forget about enjoying the game, but not those two.

In the end it was the fairytale result. Sergio deserves a major on his record and now he has one.

I wonder if Rickie will ever get one, though. I hope he doesn't turn into the new Sergio, with his own list of heroic failures. My feeling is that he will win one, but he'll do it the same way he won the Players, by shooting a superhot last round from about four groups back.

Great tournament.

Jazz18
10th April 2017, 11:34 PM
You guys need to sort out how to spell "Rosey's" name. Or should it be Rosie? ;)

Dotty
11th April 2017, 01:08 AM
Am I the only one that was disappointed with the result?

Perfectly summed up by Rose's near miss on the 72nd compared to Sergio's dunderheaded NFI attempt. As the saying goes, a miss is as good as a mile.

Doubly disappointed at low amateur result. Right up there with the 1988 Seoul Olympics 100m final.

SundayHack
11th April 2017, 07:52 AM
Doubly disappointed at low amateur result. Right up there with the 1988 Seoul Olympics 100m final.

Thought you were insinuating Hagestad was on the gear until I took a look at a few videos. Definitely a sus action with no clear separation from the body. Agree he is as bad as Ben Johnson.

WBennett
11th April 2017, 07:53 AM
The sooner putters are outlawed at 36 or 38 inches the better.

WBennett
11th April 2017, 07:54 AM
The post round interview with Hagestad was interesting though - expressed no desire to be a touring pro, and focusing on finance markets instead.

Bladerunner
11th April 2017, 08:06 AM
Thought you were insinuating Hagestad was on the gear until I took a look at a few videos. Definitely a sus action with no clear separation from the body. Agree he is as bad as Ben Johnson.
Love

The post round interview with Hagestad was interesting though - expressed no desire to be a touring pro, and focusing on finance markets instead.

benno_r
11th April 2017, 11:01 AM
He isn't as bad as Ben Johnson. Ben Johnson broke the rules.

Hagestad was not disqualified with a number of players and officials watching him over 4 days, I can safely assume he did not.

3Puttpete
11th April 2017, 11:06 AM
He isn't as bad as Ben Johnson. Ben Johnson broke the rules.

Hagestad was not disqualified with a number of players and officials watching him over 4 days, I can safely assume he did not.

Has anyone but Mark Allen raised it as an issue?

goughy
11th April 2017, 12:54 PM
It made for a story on news.com.au, including that others watching the coverage had been tweeting about it

3Puttpete
11th April 2017, 01:49 PM
It made for a story on news.com.au, including that others watching the coverage had been tweeting about it

If it's on there it must be a story. Did the headline include the words outrage or brutal?

Dotty
11th April 2017, 02:42 PM
If it's on there it must be a story. Did the headline include the words outrage or brutal?
It did feature the word 'cheating'.

Then again, it was probably just lifted straight from Monday's sensationalisation of the LPGA incident or Wednesday's beat-up of a Phil Mickleson remark about Monday's incident.

Lagerlover
11th April 2017, 05:01 PM
Worth a read, if not for anything other than Bogle trying to pass on his Wally tag..

http://www.news.com.au/sport/golf/controversial-moment-almost-robs-sergio-garcia-of-masters-title-spaniard-is-up-himself/news-story/6bd1b41bbe6b52fd900cfff45db4364e

Yossarian
11th April 2017, 06:38 PM
Reports suggest Garcia observered a lady playing with a weak grip and did nothing to correct it, our sources tell us.

Steve57
11th April 2017, 06:40 PM
Worth a read, if not for anything other than Bogle trying to pass on his Wally tag..

http://www.news.com.au/sport/golf/controversial-moment-almost-robs-sergio-garcia-of-masters-title-spaniard-is-up-himself/news-story/6bd1b41bbe6b52fd900cfff45db4364e
Sounds like he backed Rose.
Issue was raised at the time and cleared by Masters Rules Officials.

Daves
11th April 2017, 06:42 PM

Brett who?

Steve57
11th April 2017, 06:44 PM
Brett who?
Exactly!

Johnno
11th April 2017, 07:35 PM
I'd doubt many of those guys would be constantly great with the public, wether due to a bad round/tournament, having your ass constantly kissed or various other reasons. Everyone has moments where you wish everyone would piss off and leave you be. Funnily enough most of mine do come after a bad round.

wazamac
11th April 2017, 07:52 PM
I'd doubt many of those guys would be constantly great with the public, wether due to a bad round/tournament, having your ass constantly kissed or various other reasons. Everyone has moments where you wish everyone would piss off and leave you be. Funnily enough most of mine do come after a bad round.

Mines usually after the 10th, 11th and 12th holes. :cry:

Jazz18
11th April 2017, 08:25 PM

Brett Ogle - Pot, kettle, black.

I thought this was awesome. So sick of hearing a low amateur say he's turning pro next week and then never to be heard of again. He's probably done the sums and realised he can make more in finance in his career than as a fledgling pro just making ends meet. Good on him!

fredstar
12th April 2017, 04:46 PM
Reports suggest Garcia observered a lady playing with a weak grip and did nothing to correct it, our sources tell us.

What a tosser saying Sergio is up himself when this guy makes the Drummond ads all about himself.

BUSHY
12th April 2017, 05:24 PM
Brett Ogle - Pot, kettle, black.

I thought this was awesome. So sick of hearing a low amateur say he's turning pro next week and then never to be heard of again. He's probably done the sums and realised he can make more in finance in his career than as a fledgling pro just making ends meet. Good on him!

Yeah cos there's 'heaps' of names in this list that were "never heard of again"

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170412/f188045f1a5dce09b21a2f1d1735eab6.jpg

3oneday
12th April 2017, 05:28 PM
30 odd percent, depends on your never heard from again definition :)

If Bryson wasn't a freak (of nature, or generally) he'd probably never see the light of day again.

Lagerlover
12th April 2017, 06:03 PM
Never did end up getting that I ❤️manny tattoo

Grumpy8
12th April 2017, 06:08 PM
Brett Ogle - Pot, kettle, black. I thought this was awesome. So sick of hearing a low amateur say he's turning pro next week and then never to be heard of again. He's probably done the sums and realised he can make more in finance in his career than as a fledgling pro just making ends meet. Good on him! Maybe he knows he won't get away with his putting style and can't putt any other way

Jazz18
12th April 2017, 08:40 PM
Yeah cos there's 'heaps' of names in this list that were "never heard of again"

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170412/f188045f1a5dce09b21a2f1d1735eab6.jpg

OMG you're right! What the hell was I thinking!