PDA

View Full Version : F1 2017

wazamac
29th March 2017, 06:08 PM
The first race has passed us by without too much fuss.

Wider tyres, wider cars, smaller wings and increased downforce meant quicker lap times.
Is Danny Ric behind the 8 ball now with a gearbox and engine change within the first race?

Was hoping that Hamilton would stall it on the line with the new clutch system, but not to be.

HOPHEAD
29th March 2017, 09:01 PM
I think it will be another Hamilton world title this year but hopefully Vettel can make a challenge of it, would love to see Ricciardo up there but I can only see him fighting it out for 3rd place

Jazz18
29th March 2017, 09:14 PM
I thought it was a pretty good race but to be fair, any race that the little ponce doesn't win is a good race! Not sure if we can judge if overtaking is better or worse under the new regs. Melbourne is not typically a good track for overtaking anyway so they say it will be easier to tell once they get to China and Bahrain.

Just one thing Wazamac, I think the wings are bigger. The rear wing looks lower but is wider. The front wing is wider too as I understand.

Jazz18
29th March 2017, 09:50 PM
I think it will be another Hamilton world title this year but hopefully Vettel can make a challenge of it, would love to see Ricciardo up there but I can only see him fighting it out for 3rd place

You might be right but not sure how you draw that conclusion given Hamiltons pace was matched by Vettel in both stints of the race. Looks promising for a good championship. Bottas looked on pace as well.

wazamac
30th March 2017, 01:17 PM
Just one thing Wazamac, I think the wings are bigger. The rear wing looks lower but is wider. The front wing is wider too as I understand.

Your right Jazz. They are lower but wider to match the car width.
I watched a comparison between Hamilton's lap this year and last year and in the end was at least 40m in front.

HOPHEAD
1st April 2017, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=Jazz18;1343184]You might be right but not sure how you draw that conclusion given Hamiltons pace was matched by Vettel in both stints of the race. Looks promising for a good championship. Bottas looked on pace as well.
Hamilton had the pace early on and only fell behind due to the pit strategy, then got stuck behind max. Vettel did have the faster car for the majority of the race thou. Still a long way to go in the season anything could happen yet.

Jazz18
3rd April 2017, 09:56 PM
Hamilton had the pace early on and only fell behind due to the pit strategy, then got stuck behind max. Vettel did have the faster car for the majority of the race thou. Still a long way to go in the season anything could happen yet.

Yep, sure could. Looking forward to some mixed up results this year and not just Mercedes running away with it.

HOPHEAD
6th April 2017, 07:16 PM
Yep, sure could. Looking forward to some mixed up results this year and not just Mercedes running away with it.Hopefully Red Bull can join them up the front as well. A bit of rain is expected Sunday morning which could always throw up a few surprises if it hangs around

WBennett
7th April 2017, 01:49 PM
Rain causing all sorts of delays and issues with Friday practice.

Jazz18
10th April 2017, 08:01 PM
Still might be too early to say but I was hopeful after Melbourne for a more interesting season but not so much now after China. It seemed a lot of cars had issues with overtaking even with the massive straight there and even Verstappens Redbull seemed to have trouble in the dirty air from the Haas toward the end of the race.

May have been a very different race for Vettel/Hamilton and others if there had been some space between the virtual safety car and the safety car that was sent out for Giovinazzi's crash on the pit straight. Thought it was a bloody boring race in the end but in fairness, that may have as much to do with Hamilton winning the race as anything.

God I hope the Ferraris are competitive all season and that Redbull can start to make up some ground soon as well.

wazamac
10th April 2017, 08:05 PM
I missed the race yesterday as I was working, but thinking on the way home about Monaco (my favourite race of the year). Will there actually be an overtake with the wider cars?

Jazz18
10th April 2017, 08:18 PM
I missed the race yesterday as I was working, but thinking on the way home about Monaco (my favourite race of the year). Will there actually be an overtake with the wider cars?

Didn't think of that. I'm not sure they will be able to. Not even so much the wider cars but with Monaco being the highest down force track of the calender, I can see there being any clean air anywhere on the circuit to allow them to get close enough to each other to overtake. If there is overtaking, they will be some kamakazi moves I think!

wazamac
13th April 2017, 08:05 AM
Just heard that Alonso is going to miss the Monaco race so he can compete in the Indy 500.

Jazz18
13th April 2017, 10:40 AM
Just heard that Alonso is going to miss the Monaco race so he can compete in the Indy 500.

Beginning of the end to his career with McLaren perhaps?

coalesce
13th April 2017, 11:07 AM
Beginning of the end to his career with McLaren perhaps?

I'd suggest it is more of an attempt by McLaren to keep him happy by allowing him to do some other things whilst they are uncompetitive.

wazamac
13th April 2017, 11:32 AM
I thought that a year or two ago when he was sniffing around the Le Man cars with Webber.

HOPHEAD
13th April 2017, 05:53 PM
Just heard that Alonso is going to miss the Monaco race so he can compete in the Indy 500.Looking to become only the second driver to win the triple crown, if he can win Indy and Le Mans that is. Be interesting to see how he goes

Jazz18
15th May 2017, 11:37 PM
Another good race in Spain. Think the result would have been different if it weren't for the virtual safety car and pits stops that followed. VSC and SC shouldn't have an influence on the race in my opinion. Anyone else think it would be better if they didn't allow pits stops during VSC or SC periods? I know everyone has the same opportunity to pit when you have them but you're not allowed to overtake under either conditions on the track so why should you be allowed to gain time or track position in the pit lane during a VSC or SC period? Think it would be better without it.

HOPHEAD
16th May 2017, 07:29 AM
I think it should be left how it is, everyone has the same opportunity to pit if they want. It can be a bit unlucky if they pitted a lap before the sc comes out tho but if they are due to pit soon it comes in at a very lucky time.

WBennett
16th May 2017, 08:06 AM
Another good race in Spain. Think the result would have been different if it weren't for the virtual safety car and pits stops that followed. VSC and SC shouldn't have an influence on the race in my opinion. Anyone else think it would be better if they didn't allow pits stops during VSC or SC periods? I know everyone has the same opportunity to pit when you have them but you're not allowed to overtake under either conditions on the track so why should you be allowed to gain time or track position in the pit lane during a VSC or SC period? Think it would be better without it.

There is always an element of luck in timing pit stops.

On the plus side, there are two decent teams this year with 4 potential race winners - better than the last few years where there were realistically two cars capable of winning any race.

I have enjoyed watching a few of the old years in review on Foxtel - seeing teams like JPS/Camel Lotus, Benetton, Leyton House, Arrows, Ligier, Minardi, Tyrrell etc fighting it out.

And the Senna/Prost/Mansell races - and the quality of Ferrari, McLaren, Williams all capable of winning.

wazamac
16th May 2017, 08:12 AM
Races like the next one, Monaco, might only be determined by pit stops, safety cars and luck of position on the track when it comes out.

WBennett
16th May 2017, 08:18 AM
Races like the next one, Monaco, might only be determined by pit stops, safety cars and luck of position on the track when it comes out.

Monaco has been determined by qualifying and luck for 50 years.

Jazz18
16th May 2017, 08:22 PM
Yeah I know luck comes into racing a fair bit but would be good if there was less luck involved. I mean Nikki Lauda said that Hamilton deserved to win the race, but there was certainly a fair bit of luck involved with the timing of the VSC. He also had a pretty big helping hand from Bottas slowing Vettel down for a few laps. With those 2 combined, I'm not sure I would have said he deserved the win if I was in Lauda's shoes.

Anyway, yep, the season definitely looks like it will be a much closer fight than previous years which is great. Ferrari really showing some pace and that Australia wasn't a fluke. Very impressed with how well Force India are going. Always there or there abouts and given their budget, punching well above their weight I would have thought.

Hope Alonso doesn't kill himself at Indy. Big call to be racing there after little practice.

HOPHEAD
16th May 2017, 08:47 PM
I can't see Alonso winning with his lack of driving an Indy car but he should do ok. Sportsbet have him 3rd fav at $9

coalesce
16th May 2017, 11:34 PM
With less luck involved wouldn't it likely be more of a borefest with the best car winning all the time?

Merc sold Ferrari a great dummy making them think they were going to 3 stop and then using Bottas as a mobile roadblock. That's what gave Hamilton the chance to win after his poor start. When the VSC happened things were marginally in Hamilton's favour anyway tho it did move it further

coalesce
29th May 2017, 12:18 AM
Aside from the start itself, I don't recall seeing a single overtake on the track in that race. Probably the first race this year where the wider cars has made the spectacle worse. It is still the first race I'd choose to go to given the chance mind you

That said good work by Vettel, Ricciardo and Hamilton to make use of when they did get clean air

Now what can Alonso do in the Indy 500 later?

WBennett
29th May 2017, 05:38 PM
The comparison between the processional F1 and the spectacular Indy race was chalk and cheese.

Indy had 6 or 7 guys who looked like they had the pace for the win.

Alonso did a magnficent job until his day was ended by a dud Honda as usual, but Takuma Sato deserved the win.

The inbuilt safety of the cars was demonstrated by Scott Dixon walking away from a 350kmh wreck. The changes implemented since the death of Dan Wheldon probably saved his life - any impact that splits an engine in half is a hell of an impact...

wazamac
29th May 2017, 05:44 PM
Aside from the start itself, I don't recall seeing a single overtake on the track in that race. Probably the first race this year where the wider cars has made the spectacle worse. It is still the first race I'd choose to go to given the chance mind you

That said good work by Vettel, Ricciardo and Hamilton to make use of when they did get clean air

+1.

And who the hell are you? :D

Ron Burgundy
26th June 2017, 08:32 AM
Great race and great to see Dan on top of the podium again. Stoll didn't seem too impressed by the shoey though!

Also reinforced for me what an absolute c**t Vettel is. He should have been DQ'd for that. A 10s drive through is laughable.

wazamac
26th June 2017, 07:39 PM
Missed the race last night but just finished watching highlights.

If all of the races are going to be like that when I don't watch, then I will just go and feed the chooks.

Well done Dan.

I think Vettel thought that Hamilton was going to do the bolt but he obviously didn't. Don't think it was a brake check like he claims. Maybe it was his KERS kicking in so he would have a full stash to use on the restart.

Jazz18
26th June 2017, 10:21 PM
Wow, what a great race. Pretty much everything that can happen did. Love that track. Great job from DRicc to grab the win with the front 2 tripping over each other. Thought a Haas was going to finish in 5th until he got mobbed at the end of the race too.

Hamilton was obviously unlucky not to win with his headrest coming loose. I'm sure someone has had a word to him in the off season about being a sook all the time because he's certainly not behaving like a baby that's dropped their rattle after the races.

Might be on my own here but I actually don't think Vettel intentionally side swiped Hamilton. I think he was so mad about running I to the back of Hamilton, that as he was trying to pull alongside Hamilton, he had both hands off the wheel and he just didn't control the car properly. I could be wrong but I don't think he meant to bang wheels with Hamilton. I do think he deserved the penalty though.

Anyway, great race. Hope we get more of the same in Austria!

wazamac
3rd July 2017, 08:20 PM
Renault are not upgrading the engine the engine this year. Red Bull still lag at the bottom with the least number of laps completed this season. Not bad result being third in the constructors considering.

Ron Dennis has sold his last stake in McLaren. Doing some design work for the defence dept. I hear.

Jazz18
31st July 2017, 08:13 PM
Just finished watching Hungary. Was a great race in the end. Thought it was going to be a bit of a procession and I guess in the end it did but there was a couple of periods during the race when I wasn't sure what the finishing order was going to be.

Very impressed with the Mercedes team work. Was typical of Bottas to be the team player to let Hamilton have a go at Raikonnen but I will admit I was astonished Hamilton gave the place back at all, let alone when he did it. Not sure he would have done the same for Rosberg but very impressed that he did that for Bottas. Will do him, Bottas and Mercedes the world of good in unity and morale going forward.

I thought it was funny how the commentators and even Toto Wolf were saying the 3 points that Hamilton gave up could cost him the championship at the end of the season and while it seems likely it will be Hamilton and Vettel fighting it out to the end, they forget that those 3 points could put Bottas in a position to win the championship if Hamilton isn't there for whatever reason. Goes both ways so interesting most were saying it could ultimately hurt Hamilton, not help Bottas win the championship, but I guess the Sky Sports F1 broadcast is a little UK driver biased (as you'd expect).

Great race. Look forward to it coming back already after the break.

Jazz18
31st July 2017, 08:15 PM
Oh, also keen to hear what everyone thinks about the halo. I know safety safety safety but I must admit, I tend to agree with Nikki Lauda but can also see what Fernando Alonsa was saying about it. Tough one to call. If it was my decision, I'd say F1 can do without it but could be swayed either way to be honest. It is F&%KIN ugly though!!!

WBennett
1st August 2017, 08:52 AM
Did Martin have another heart attack at Silverstone? He has missed two races through 'illness' which is highly unusual...

WBennett
1st August 2017, 08:57 AM
Oh, also keen to hear what everyone thinks about the halo. I know safety safety safety but I must admit, I tend to agree with Nikki Lauda but can also see what Fernando Alonsa was saying about it. Tough one to call. If it was my decision, I'd say F1 can do without it but could be swayed either way to be honest. It is F&%KIN ugly though!!!

Not a fan of the halo. The drivers already have significant head and neck protection.

Bianchi was killed when he hit a rescue crane, and suffered a 250g impact (200km to 0 in about 30cm). Its unlikely a halo would have withstood the impact.

Motorsport is dangerous. It says on the ticket.

wazamac
1st August 2017, 09:41 AM
I think the halo has its good and bad points.

Good to stop debris flying into the cockpit.
Bad - Is it going too take longer to get the driver out if there is a serious problem?

Jazz18
1st August 2017, 05:21 PM
Did Martin have another heart attack at Silverstone? He has missed two races through 'illness' which is highly unusual...

I didn't get the impression he had a heart attack. That was my initial thoughts when he left the Silverstone broadcast but I thought I heard he had some sort of virus that really hit him hard. He could have been better but not able to fly yet if it was inner ear issues perhaps? Just a total guess.

Jazz18
1st August 2017, 05:25 PM
I think the halo has its good and bad points.

Good to stop debris flying into the cockpit.
Bad - Is it going too take longer to get the driver out if there is a serious problem?

I'm not convinced the halo will stop debris unless it's large. Would it have deflected the spring that hit Massa in 2009 at the Hungaroring? I'm not so sure. It will obviously stop a wheel or a wing etc etc but the chances of that are so slim. I think you make a good point that it could make it more difficult to get out of the car in the much more likely event of a big crash. you would hope they've taken that into account with the designs though.

Iain
1st August 2017, 06:43 PM
Sick of all the F1 Facebook articles asking whether Hamilton should've given back the place to Bottas.

Of course he ****ing should have, because Bottas gave it to him in the first instance.... Hamilton wasn't getting by Bottas on his own.

KristianJ
1st August 2017, 06:48 PM
I didn't get the impression he had a heart attack. That was my initial thoughts when he left the Silverstone broadcast but I thought I heard he had some sort of virus that really hit him hard. He could have been better but not able to fly yet if it was inner ear issues perhaps? Just a total guess. I heard it was a similar thing to what Massa had...I Googled it after I heard it - something called viral labyrinthitis. Inner ear infection that can take a few weeks to recover from in some cases.

Jazz18
1st August 2017, 06:52 PM
Sick of all the F1 Facebook articles asking whether Hamilton should've given back the place to Bottas.

Of course he ****ing should have, because Bottas gave it to him in the first instance.... Hamilton wasn't getting by Bottas on his own.

Absolutely........was still surprised it happened though!!!

Iain
1st August 2017, 07:03 PM
Absolutely........was still surprised it happened though!!! Yeah, I didn't think he would give it back.

Jazz18
1st August 2017, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I didn't think he would give it back.

He must have taken some grown up pills in the off season. That's far too mature behaviour for the normally whiny little maggot! :)

Must admit, I think it's hilarious how they go on a summer break like its school holidays! Makes me have a little chuckle every year when they talk about summer break.

virge666
1st August 2017, 08:55 PM

Exactly

Daves
1st December 2017, 05:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/embed/1_kwxzU4wL4