PDA

View Full Version : In 5 years, who will be a better pro? Scott or Ogilvy?

Speirsy11
19th June 2006, 10:58 PM
Ok, now that Geoff Ogilvy has earned a US Open title as well as a World Match Play Title can we start mentioning him in the same breath as Adam Scott? I know everyone thinks Scott is the second coming, but I for one think that in 5 years Ogilvy will be the Aussie most feared on TOUR. Their long games are similar, both hit it great, but I think that Scott's shortgame and putting will hurt him compared to Ogilvy.

I also think that Ogilvy seems tougher, but only time will tell I guess.....What do you think?

terryand
19th June 2006, 11:01 PM
You could be right Rob.But if Scott could find a short game like Phil under the Xmas tree one year I don't think that anyone would get near him.

Terry.

McMw
19th June 2006, 11:02 PM
Ogilvy has been the better putter in the past 2 years...
maybe with this win, he'll start to believe in himself as much as Scott does as himself...

Scott's a really crappy putter...he misses too many 6-8 footers...

Question the US are asking - who's player of the year - Lefty or Ogilvy?

Moe Norman
19th June 2006, 11:03 PM
Scott will maintain a higher ranking but Ogilvy will win more majors.

Badds.com, Buckle and Jason Day might go alright.

BTW: Remember Scott is 25 and Ogilvy is nearly 30.

Speirsy11
19th June 2006, 11:06 PM
Question the US are asking - who's player of the year - Lefty or Ogilvy?

No question it's Ogilvy to this point (very early yet). A US Open AND a World Match Play win? Guys dream of years like that no matter who they are.....Lefty has a Masters win and what, a win in the Tucson Greater Independant Dentists Championship?

WGC events rate very highly to the players, Ogilvy is the leader in the clubhouse halfway through the year in the POY race, no doubt about it.

Speirsy

Speirsy11
19th June 2006, 11:06 PM

So in 5 years they'll both be in their prime....Hence the timing of it......

Jono
19th June 2006, 11:08 PM

5 years ... bah, that's nothing. :lol:

You mention Jason Day, but I suppose you are a Qld'er. :roll: Have you heard of Won Joon Lee? Tim Stewart, perhaps? 8)

McMw
19th June 2006, 11:09 PM
true - but the anaylsts are going with Phil for the time being...
If Ogilvy can win one more tournament this year - he should be a shoo-in...

let's not forget that even with his implosion, Lefty finished T2 in a major to go with his win at Augusta, and the weekend before by 13 shots...

McMw
19th June 2006, 11:10 PM
Buckle needs to get off the Asian Tour first!!! :lol:

Speirsy11
19th June 2006, 11:37 PM
true - but the anaylsts are going with Phil for the time being...
If Ogilvy can win one more tournament this year - he should be a shoo-in...

let's not forget that even with his implosion, Lefty finished T2 in a major to go with his win at Augusta, and the weekend before by 13 shots...

Players vote on POY, not Press. Thats why players see it as such an honour; it's awarded by their peers.

cazandpaul
20th June 2006, 05:05 AM
A few years ago Geoff's results were similar to Adam's these days where he would be in contention, blow a few holes and then come home with a wet sail when it was all over.

If Adam continues to put the work in I believe he will be our premier player in 5 years.

goughy
20th June 2006, 06:09 AM
I think the reason I'm going with ogilvy is adam has been around their for a few years now, as well as the european tour. I understand that he is only 25 and still has plenty of years left to improve, but with all the years he has had he still has shaky putting. It's a testament to how good he could be that with his putting/short game he is ranked as highly as he is. And he he shores it up then he will be a force to reckon with. But he's already had plenty of time to do that and as yet hasn't.

Ogilvy seems like a grinder to me. That's what I thought after the matchplay. The positions he was in during it and then to produce win after win shows a lot of resolve, belief and guts. A few years ago I was talking to my dad about pampling. Both of us thought he would be a good pga pro, a grinder who does what he has to to keep his card year after year. He'll get the odd win, but will keep himself in that 125 by grinding it out. And that's how I see ogilvy now, except with him I see that grinding producing wins, not top tens.

Honestly, I always thought it would be allenby or appleby; there's a new guy on the block and I think he's gonna be the aussie No.1, and he won't give it up without a fight.

Damn aussie golf is looking good atm, at least overseas anyway. Aussies have won almost 25% of pga tour events till now.

http://www.pgatour.com/story/9515065
How biased does this sound. The way it reads you would swear phil won the us open. And whether up to this point he is the mvp over ogilvy I can't comment, suffice to say he would not be glaring ahead of ogilvy. Phil's got 2 wins, a 2nd, 8 top10's and no missed cuts from 14 events. Geoff has 2 wins, a 2nd, 4 top 10's and 3 missed cuts fro 15 events. The sit 1 and 2 on the money list with about 130k seperating them.

The big question is with the players voting the poty, and say this year continues in a similar fashion for both of them who are the players gonna pick? Phil is the sentimental favourite with the crowds but is he with the players. You still hear goss about how many don't consider him their favourite person on the planet. Geoff is an unknown element to me, although I have heard that in recent times he is well liked and well regarded by the players.

Right now, who can pick, and I have hyperfocused on this question long enough to produce something akin to a thesis on it. Sorry, I will go now.

BrisVegas
20th June 2006, 07:17 AM
I think there is room in the World's Top 10 for a couple of Aussies. Much like South Efrika has had Ernie & Retief for a while now.

I don't think there will be a clear winner out of the two.

I think that in 5 years time Adam Scott will have learned how to make clutch putts, which should see him pick up a couple of majors. He already has the rest of the game and knows that he belongs at the top of the game. Geoff will get a huge boost from this win and hopefully kick and win plenty more regular tour events and a British Open.

Jarro
20th June 2006, 09:15 AM
i personally think Ogilvy will be the better player.

He seems to have a lot of confidence and certainly has the better short game, not to mention a pretty handy long game as well.

Scotty seems a little too unpredicatble lately and is sliding down the world rankings

3oneday
20th June 2006, 09:52 AM
Scott is only 25, whilst he may look and sound mature, another 5 years at the top level would see him very hard to beat. He really is still very young for someone with his stature in golf and I think he has a lot more growing to do (mentally) before he reaches his full potential.

Having said that, Ogilvy swung it as pure as anyone all weekend !!!

Pete

Jarro
20th June 2006, 09:56 AM
way to sit on the fence **** !!!!

Fishman Dan
20th June 2006, 11:38 AM
I reckon once Scott wins a big one, there may be no stopping him. It seems as though he's just impatient in cracking a big title, although he's proven that he not only wins tournaments in the UK and Europe, but he often wins by a good margin!

Ogilvy in the short-term may earn more, backed by the confidence of winning 2 of the big money events in the calender.

Bruce
20th June 2006, 11:39 AM
Doesn't this question essentially boil down to "Will Adam Scott get his **** together and start delivering on the promise he has shown so far?"

I'm gunna say - No.

I do this in the same way I tip against the cats sometimes so that I can get a win either way.

Moe Norman
20th June 2006, 01:36 PM
Scotty seems a little too unpredicatble lately and is sliding down the world rankings he just had 4 consecutive Top 5's prior to the US Open and moved up to a career high ranking!

AndyP
20th June 2006, 02:07 PM
Scott for me. He's been consistently up there for a while now. There's nothing to say that this isn't just a hot streak of Oglivy's, although you'd hope not.

Speirsy11
20th June 2006, 04:21 PM
Scott for me. He's been consistently up there for a while now. There's nothing to say that this isn't just a hot streak of Oglivy's, although you'd hope not.

Not really a hot streak, just consistent play for almost 3 years. 2 004 he was ranked #1 overall for total stats ahead of VJ (the same year VJ won 10 times), last year he won in Tucson for his first PGA Tour win and had a couple of top 10's in Majors........This year has been a career year for anyone but Tiger.......

To me Scott is a better version of Charles Howell III. He hits it incredible, has all the tools, but just doesn't seem to know how to get it done under the pump........I know he's young, but he's been out there a long time too. I just thinkthat had Ogilvy or Appleby been in the same positions as Scott the last month, they'd have one 2, maybe 3 of those events. No way do either of those guys 3 stab from 4 feet and then double a par 3 like he did at Barclay's.......

Either way, it's a great time for Aussie golf. Is there any other country (besides the states) with as many great players?

Moe Norman
20th June 2006, 05:08 PM
South Africa

Speirsy11
20th June 2006, 05:37 PM
South Africa

Really? I'd say that their top 3-4 can match the Aussies, but the next 10 would be hard pressed....The Aussies have too much depth.....

McMw
20th June 2006, 06:12 PM
South Africa

just have a look at the current standings for President's Cup selection...
I haven't seen it yet - but that would be a great table to see who's got more depth...

I can think of 4 off the top of my head that might be in for SA...Els, Goose, Immelman, Clark...

and 4 for Aus - Scott, Ogilvy, Apples, O'Hern...

Nashy
20th June 2006, 06:27 PM
Just for the record Andrew Buckle is off the Asian Tour and playing Nationwide and won a Nationwide Tournament a couple of weeks back. I would think it highly likely that he will be on the US PGA Tour next year.

Whether it is Scott or Ogilvy or Buckle is a good question... but who cares. Let's hope there are 4 or 5 Aussies swapping spots in the World's top 10 by then.

Jarro
20th June 2006, 06:30 PM
spot on Nashy :mrgreen:

when was the last time we had two Aussies in the top 10 ???

oz
20th June 2006, 06:36 PM
Ogilvy gets my vote for now. He is a more complete player than Scott, at the moment. He doesn't display an obvious weakness in any one area of his game, as opposed to Scott who clearly struggles with the flat-stick at times. If Adam Scott can find some mojo on the greens, I'd be happy to re-evaluate my vote.

Moe Norman
20th June 2006, 08:06 PM
I can think of 4 off the top of my head that might be in for SA...Els, Goose, Immelman, Clark...

and 4 for Aus - Scott, Ogilvy, Apples, O'Hern...

Scott and Ogilvy are still a long way from being players of the calibre of Els and Goose. Apples is easily better than their 3rd man, then its a lottery from there.

jimandr
20th June 2006, 10:57 PM
I'm an Ogilvy fan, for most of the reasons already expressed in this thread. I followed him for a few holes at the 2004 Oz Open, and gee, he strikes the ball well.

I think he is level-headed enough to go on and be a top 10 player for the next 5 years, and win one more major at least.

A Scott is also good, but not quite good enough, for the reasons expressed by others. He has an American soft-course game suited to regular tour events, but not to the Masters or the US Open. Maybe he wins a British or PGA on the right course sometime. I don't think he'll get much better than he is right now. He may be young, but he's now a very experienced player.

It is a good time for Australian Golf right now.

I can't agree with Moe regarding Els and Goosen. Both are slumping a bit right now, Ernie in particular. They'll probably contend again soon, but at this very moment, Ogilvy and Scott are better than them, not worse.

Moe Norman
20th June 2006, 11:31 PM
Scott's game is perfectly suited to the Masters, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

I also have no idea what you mean by him being suited to an American soft course game. He has won all over the World, except in Australia! He has won on soft US courses, links courses in Europe, swamps in Asia etc etc.

Ogilvy has only three professional victories in his entire 8 year career, all in the USA and within the last 20 months. Sure two of them have been big buggers, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Norman only won two majors, does that make David Graham as good as him because he won two as well? Majors are a great thing, but they are not the only way to measure a golfers career. Vijay has won 3 majors, is HE a better golfer than Norman was??

Els is coming off a long injury layoff and Goosen is still up there as well. Both are ranked higher than Scott and Ogilvy in the short term. Scott is 25, he cut his teeth on the European Tour and won there. Took himself to the US and made Top 10 in his first start at the Masters and won several times on the PGA tour including the Tour Championships.

To be honest, I think Scott is currently the better player and is 5 years younger and is likely to always be the better player. Hopefully they are 1 & 2 in the future!

Ogilvy was a very talented youngster as well remember, but compare where he was at 25 to where Scott is at 25, or even Badds (!) It's a compliment to the younger guys to even make the comparison

In years to come, I can see a rivalry between Scott and Sergio and maybe Oberholser that will be wonderful for golf. All are young guys with alot of talent and each comes from a different region.

3oneday
21st June 2006, 07:38 AM
Ogilvy was a very talented youngster as well remember, but compare where he was at 25 to where Scott is at 25, or even Badds (!) It's a compliment to the younger guys to even make the comparisonyep, and Ogilvy finally reached his potential when he fixed his head, has Scott fixed his ??? maybe he will by the time he is Ogilvys age ;)

Moe Norman
21st June 2006, 08:04 AM
he should fix his putting first

BrisVegas
21st June 2006, 08:10 AM
he should fix his putting first

Putting = Head.

3oneday
21st June 2006, 08:22 AM
Putting = Head.thanks

Jarro
21st June 2006, 08:24 AM
Scott just seems to get too mechanical with his putting stroke.

I remember an interview with him after he won The Players Championship. He said he wasn't happy with the way he putted after the first three rounds, so before he teed off on the final round, he made a conscious effort to make a more 'natural' stroke with the putter, and forget about the mechanics of it all.

He made a helluva lot of good putts that day. Maybe his head isn't right yet after all :-|

3oneday
21st June 2006, 08:28 AM
Maybe his head isn't right yet after all :-|:-#

McMw
21st June 2006, 11:05 PM
wateva it is, Scott's a better putter than Sergio - that ain't saying much tho!!!

Moe Norman
21st June 2006, 11:30 PM
Whats the deal with Sergio?

I haven't seen him win or contend for a long time now, but he remains entrenched in the Top 10.

Jarro
22nd June 2006, 06:53 AM
commentators mentioned that if he could make those 6-8 footers on a regular basis, he'd win a heap of tournaments.

Guess he's in the same boat as Scott in that respect. The only pieces of footage i saw of Segio was of him regularly missing putts.

suwii
10th August 2006, 04:20 PM
I voted Adam surprise surprise.
He has a certain calmness about him and a certain steely look when he really focuses and concentrates. Ogilvy can have his time in the sunshine, after all he should be at his peak..late 20's early 30's....Adam still has a few years to go. I think this will be talked of for years to come though!

Ducky
16th August 2006, 03:40 AM
I selected someone else. THE SHARK is making a comeback!

AndyP
13th December 2011, 01:46 PM
I saw this thread in the similar threads section.

Who won?

virge666
13th December 2011, 01:49 PM
I think Jason Day did.

3oneday
13th December 2011, 03:06 PM
Robert would have, except they made him not be.

Jarro
13th December 2011, 03:13 PM
Scott has, now that he's gone to the long putter.

rubin
13th December 2011, 03:16 PM
I saw this thread in the similar threads section.

Who won?

I think Jason Day did.

Depends, Day finished higher up the rankings (Day from memory was 7, Scott 8), but Scott has just been given the nod by Golf Digest Aus.

Sydney Hacker
13th December 2011, 04:04 PM
Scott actually won something this year so that would have to have him ahead of Day at the moment wouldn't it?

PeteyD
13th December 2011, 04:08 PM
Was this poll before or after winged foot?

It all comes down to majors, rightly or wrongly.

matty
13th December 2011, 05:16 PM
Had anyone heard of Day 5 years ago?

gazgolf1
13th December 2011, 07:34 PM
Scott's interview after Coolum proved to me that he really is'nt desperate enough and he's pretty happy earning his 15 mill a year and boning Anna Ivanovich.

rubin
13th December 2011, 07:45 PM
Scott's interview after Coolum proved to me that he really is'nt desperate enough and he's pretty happy earning his 15 mill a year and boning Anna Ivanovich.

I reckon that the interview he did after Coolum just showed how knackered he was. You could hear it in his voice and the way he looked (Day was the same way). Gotta keep in mind that was the week after the Pres. Cup, which was a huge event and took a lot of the players time. something like 6/7 rounds over 5 days - thats hard work.

AlexMc
13th December 2011, 09:30 PM
Isn't Scott up to Number 5 in the world and Day is back to 8th?

Daves
13th December 2011, 09:34 PM
Isn't Scott up to Number 5 in the world and Day is back to 8th?

Yep, and he has just been voted Oz Golfer of the Year.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/golf/scott-named-top-aussie-golfer-20111213-1os26.html

Lagerlover
13th December 2011, 09:35 PM
Pessimist !!

dc68
13th December 2011, 10:14 PM
he's pretty happy earning his 15 mill a year and boning Anna Ivanovich.

Reckon I could be satisfied with that.

dhills2
14th December 2011, 03:05 PM

She ain't ugly. This is one of my shots of her from Wimbledon this year.

In Jason Day's defence, his year was outstanding as well & his wife isn't too shabby either.

Sydney Hacker
14th December 2011, 03:08 PM
Was Day's year really outstanding? He didn't actually win anything, granted he came runner up in 2 majors, but the win column still has a 0 in it for the year.

dave1
20th December 2011, 03:14 PM
I havent seen the stats but this is a hunch and a question has Scotts putting irmpoved because hes hitting it closer with irons or is he holling more longer birdie putts

I could probably scrawl through the PGA webiste and maybe find it but I have a feeling Scotts putting has imroved with the broomstick but I also think hes hitting it closer than before

Scott is a betetr ball striker but Ogilvy isn't shabby either

meh call it a draw for mine

BGH
19th June 2012, 11:09 AM
Just noticed that Ogilvy has fallen out of the Top 50 for the first time that I can recall. The beginning of the end?

Captain Nemo
10th June 2013, 09:44 PM
Probably should shut this one down I'd say, obvious winner...,

Yossarian
10th June 2013, 09:56 PM
Correct Titty Ogivly probably was the better pro in the 5 years.

Captain Nemo
10th June 2013, 09:58 PM
Absolutely, without a doubt....

Yossarian
10th June 2013, 10:02 PM
Actually Ogilvy was only 36 Scott was 5.