PDA

View Full Version : Ogilvy US Open Champ!

Chris32
19th June 2006, 09:22 AM
Great result for aussie golf!

Well done!

McMw
19th June 2006, 09:24 AM
and O'Hern in the top 10 (top 7th or 8th)...

Courty
19th June 2006, 09:25 AM
Yahoo!

3oneday
19th June 2006, 09:33 AM
and O'Hern in the top 10 (top 7th or 8th)...6th

Was sitting in the clubhouse at 11th, talk about a war of attrition !!! How about that fried egg of Mickelsons on the last, normal lie he get's up and down. Finally someone other than an Aussie gets the bad breaks !!!!

McMw
19th June 2006, 09:35 AM
Lefty got a good break on 17th - he pushed his luck once too many on 18th...

If it was anyone else other than Ogilvy in the hunt, I was barracking for Lefty...
oh well...$h!t happens!!! :lol:

Fishman Dan
19th June 2006, 02:16 PM
I only saw a small amount on TV before i left home, but he was 2/10 fairways at that time, then proceeded to miss the next one (14 or 15?).

Perhaps time to get into another scandal so a different sponsor can bail him out?

Moe Norman
19th June 2006, 02:24 PM
if that was the shark in the clubhouse at +5, Phil's second would have bounced off the tree and landed a foot from the pin :o

Jarro
19th June 2006, 02:24 PM
watched it all LIVE on Foxsports.

it was absolutely a war of attrition, first Monty gets the wobbles... then Lefty goes berko with the driver.

Ogilvy was solid enough for most of the day though ... i think he deserved his win.

PeteyD
19th June 2006, 02:34 PM
Lefty was berko with the driver all day, just got some lucky bounces. At least the 18th said enough is enough.

Ogilvy par on each of the last 4 holes, even after some horrendous luck with the bounces, shows he deserved the win.

Flowergirl
19th June 2006, 02:57 PM
Lisetening to the radio some stupid commentator said his win was like that of Stepehn Badbury ( ice skating gold medal dude). What sort of wanker makes a comment like that!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR I should have rang up and told him how stupid he is.
What a top result.:mrgreen:

Chris32
19th June 2006, 02:58 PM
if that was the shark in the clubhouse at +5, Phil's second would have bounced off the tree and landed a foot from the pin :o

When Ogilvy chipped in, I thought of that time when Norman lost the playoff after the other guy, can't remember his name, chipped in.

At the time I thought this might be a good sign, a change of fortune so to speak!

Grunt
19th June 2006, 03:22 PM
He also had a few putts that should have dropped only to just miss. He could have had it wrpaped up by 18 if things had gone his way.

oz
19th June 2006, 03:47 PM
Holy brain-fart, Fatman! That was a helluva implosion.

Full props to Ogilvy, though, and congrats. He was the steadiest, smartest player over the 4 days. A great win, and hopefully, the first of a few more (majors).

McMw
19th June 2006, 04:57 PM
let's not forget that 2 years ago, Ogilvy was ranked #1 in All-Round-Ranking acc to the PGA Stats...2nd place was VJ Singh (when he was #1 ranked)

How tough was the back9 this morning???
I read that no one broke par...2 shot level par...

Moe Norman
19th June 2006, 05:03 PM
i don't think anyone is suggesting ogilvy was a surprise no name winner from the clouds.

he will be #2 on the money list now and inside the top 10 players in the World.

O'hern will likely move into the Top 20 giving us 4 inside the Top 20 and 2 inside the Top 10 and I think 6 blokes inside the Top 25 on the PGA money list.

McMw
19th June 2006, 05:07 PM
i don't think anyone is suggesting ogilvy was a surprise no name winner from the clouds.

except for the tv commentators... [-(

could have been worse - could have been Ferrie to win...

markTHEblake
19th June 2006, 07:07 PM
Dont forget Furyk's yip on the last hole. At the time it didn't seem to matter but it did.

I turned the telly on when Ogilvy was alone at +3 on about the 12th and he just hacked and chopped all the way home - He looked gone.

Surely when he finished he must have been ready to cut his throat.... and then Monty and Lefty gave him a gift. At least he can look at it in perspective, of all the players in contention, he was the only one to par the last 5 holes. Thats what won it for him.

reg320
19th June 2006, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=oz]Holy brain-fart, Fatman! That was a helluva implosion.

Ithink that it was Great that Ogilvy won in the end, and the first ozzie in eleven years to win a major, but has Phil ever heard of this thing called COURSE MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!, what the hell was bones thinking? I know he must of had words to phil on the tee at 18, and when they were in the boonies after the drive. Ever heard of TAKING YOUR MEDICINE???? it was only the 72nd hole of the US OPEN!!! !@#$%^&*

Jarro
19th June 2006, 08:24 PM
.. any other caddy in the business might've got the sack for not stopping the player from trying to hit a fairway wood out of 8" deep rough too :shock:

what the hell was Lefty thinking :-s

reg320
19th June 2006, 08:28 PM
I think thats the main difference between Tiger and Guys like Phil and Greg Norman-they are all exceptional players, but Tiger knows when to throttle back a little and when not.

gazgolf1
19th June 2006, 08:35 PM
Dont forget Furyk's yip on the last hole.

Can't stand that loopy swinging prick....never smiles.

markTHEblake
19th June 2006, 10:08 PM
My first reaction before Mickelson went for it, was to wonder if he remembers when Payne Stewart laid up on the 72nd hole and got up and down from 100 - ish. There was no way he wouldnt have remembered that.

Upon reflection - Payne Stewart didnt have a choice, but Mickelson did. We may never know how difficult a 2nd shot he had, for a golfer of his standard it might have been a straigtforward shot and therefore did nothing wrong strategically, and he just hit a clanger - just like Monty and a lesser extent Ogilvy did earlier from the fairway.
The commentators did mention that he did have a gap or words like that.

Did he say anything in the wrap up to suggest he would have played it diffferently if he had another crack at it?

McMw
19th June 2006, 10:30 PM
just watched the press conference of Lefty's...

the reason why he went for the driver and not the 4 wood was that the 4wood (with a bad shot) would have left him too far back from the green to have a chance - nice thought process!!!

the driver was taken becoz it was a stock shot for him, high cut around the corner (much like 13th at Augusta)...he just over did it...maybe his belly got in the way!!!

for the 2nd shot, he had 3 iron, 185 to front edge, 201 to pin...
clean contact, but cut too quickly into the trees...
it was spose to be an easy shot, but as he said, cut too quickly much like his driver on 18th...

as for the fried egg, that was sposedly the first time that's happen in that bunker, and there were lots of balls into that bunker with pin position in R2 and R3...

Lefty's Par5s this week +2
Ogilvy's Par5s this week -2

Ogilvy played the last 3 holes par par par
Lefty bogey par double
Monty par birdie double
Furky par par bogey

McMw
19th June 2006, 10:34 PM
Also watched Ogilvy's press conference - not once did he said he played great and deserved to win - first to admit that he was the beneficiary of some charity from Lefty and Monty...

he didn't expect to be the first aussie to win since Elk's...considering Scott, Apples etc etc had been close before...

talk about humility...

Moe Norman
19th June 2006, 10:46 PM
MTB remember the Toms layup in the PGA against Phil as well?

Trung
20th June 2006, 07:55 AM
I was at Denver airport watching the final round with a bunch of yankies.

Phil this, Phil that. It was so pro-american. It was sick to hear but I can't blame them for rooting for their countryman... I kept to myself until our Aussie man got up.

I went to the bar and ordered FOSTERS. The rest is history. I'm a proud Aussie.

Earlier in the day, my bestmate from Sydney, myself and a few other Aussies from LA went to an English pub at Las Vegas (aka Lost Wages) for the soccer.

2-0 isn't too bad, Croatia will be our destiny for the round of 16. Go aussies.

We even bought a special friend from dowunder. Check him out.. :mrgreen:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3773/dsc001203qq.jpg

Jarro
20th June 2006, 09:26 AM
World rankings as they stand after the US Open :

1/ Tiger Woods
2/ Phil Mickelson
3/ Vijay Singh
4/ Reteif Goosen
5/ Jim Furyk
6/ Adam Scott
7/ Ernie Els
8/ Geoff Ogilvy
9/ Sergio Garcia
10/ David Howell

GO AUSSIES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Courty
20th June 2006, 09:35 AM
The Aussies are coming!

Toolish
20th June 2006, 09:43 AM
5 in top 30...and 3 in top 10 on money list!!!

HERE WE COME!!!

Jarro
20th June 2006, 09:49 AM
interesting to see only 3 Americans in the top 10 :shock:

Bruce
21st June 2006, 05:12 PM
I'm doing the Golf Talk Podcast this week and I'll be raising that stat with them Jarro.

We'll be talking US Open and how great Geoff Ogilvy and the rest of the Aussies are. My show notes so far are:
-18th was a scoring graveyard
- 6 Aussie wins from 25 tournaments
- Good caddy vs Bad caddy.
- US Open winner's cheque = $1.2M vs Aus Open total purse = $950k

Any other things of note I should bring up?

Jarro
21st June 2006, 05:20 PM
give 'em hell Bruce :twisted:

Toolish
21st June 2006, 07:53 PM
Bruce...where is this podcast available?

Bruce
21st June 2006, 08:09 PM
If you have iTunes then the podcast directory has it under Golf Talk.

or you can get it from http://thesandtrap.com

I did one with them earlier in the year after the World Matchplay win for Geoff Ogilvy.

McMw
21st June 2006, 11:01 PM
is there talk of a parade for Ogilvy??? :mrgreen:

hell, even cambo got one!!!

McMw
22nd June 2006, 09:19 AM
Seen this yet??? :lol:

markTHEblake
22nd June 2006, 10:50 AM
Earlier in the day, my bestmate from Sydney, myself and a few other Aussies

Trung, you may not have ever noticed, but if your going to go to an aussie function you got to try a bit harder to look like an aussie than the rest of us. Maybe next time wear a yellow shirt you idiot :mrgreen:

for petes sake you dont even have a beer in front of you!

interesting to see only 3 Americans in the top 10 :shock:

fantastic, back to where it was in the 80's - When the rankings started and Norman was #1 there was only about 3 Yanks in the top 10 back then.

Lets hope that this brings about a change in world golf and sees more money being spread around rather than just USA.

goughy
25th June 2006, 02:13 PM
What a guess by us golf digest. Just got june issue which has the lead up to the us open. At the start of their "digest" section they have a one page mini story about a golfer. This issue it happened to be Geoff Ogilvy, and how his level head and loss of frustration and anger at himself could lead to bigger things. Now if they could only give me the winning power ball numbers???

Bruce
25th June 2006, 08:15 PM
The podcast is up now at:
http://thesandtrap.com/podcasts/sand_trap_028.m4a

Enjoy. Although the levels are all over the shop. They did a good job of editing my rambling to a nice tight couple of minutes. I come on at about 5:40

Grunt
25th June 2006, 08:55 PM
Will have a listen tomorrow on the drive to work.

Courty
25th June 2006, 08:57 PM
Already got it. I have the Sand Trap on my RSS list.

Bruce
28th June 2006, 09:48 AM
I think I have a little Man Crush on Geoff Ogilvy now.

This week, I want to go to the footy like a punter. My wife (Juli) has never been. I want to go to the footy, have a pie, yell at the umpire and do what I used to.

dc68
28th June 2006, 03:30 PM
I wonder how many corp offers he has recieved now.Wonder if he takes one or sticks with general admission like a normal punter would?

Not having a dig here. Go Geoff.

chappy1970
10th July 2006, 09:35 AM
My dad works parttime at a public course in Melbourne and has known Geoff Ogilvy's folks for quite a while.

He is out here in Oz for a little R&R before the British Open.

So the old man was talking to is mum last week. What does the reining US Open champion, winner of $1.3 million USD, alround nice guy, form Aussie golfer do when he is relaxing. W

He was not in a private jet swanning around the place, he was not living in a fortress somewhere counting his money, he was with his mates in a little tinny off Westernport bay (for those not familiar with Melbourne, it is the bay next to Port Phillip) catching whiting.

Speaks volumes about the humility of the bloke.

Geoff Ogilvy for PM.

Chappy:smt038 :smt023 :smt045

Flowergirl
10th July 2006, 03:28 PM
Yep--that's pretty cool.:-D

Webster
10th July 2006, 05:19 PM
How many did they catch?