PDA

View Full Version : What's your "14th" club?

Micdeez
1st March 2017, 12:18 PM
So I've done a complete re-haul of my bag and it goes like this:

Driver - 9*-12*
3W - 15*
3/4H - 19*-22*
5-UW - 26*- 50*
Wedges 54* & 58*
Putter

I then have one more to add to the bag, but what gaps do you prefer to cover to your style of play?

Dotty
1st March 2017, 12:31 PM
Personally, it's a dedicated sand (and rock) wedge.

I don't like the idea of wearing out good wedges prematurely.

For your set-up, since you can't modify your hybrid's loft during the game ... I'd look at either two hybrids (3 and 4) or a 5w (and set your existing hybrid to 22*).

Micdeez
1st March 2017, 12:59 PM
Good idea. I'll book a launch monitor soon to see my distances and could demo another hybrid/fairway, and find out which I can hit alright and am comfortable with. Only problem is I've never hit a fairway good from the deck, only off the tee....

3Puttpete
1st March 2017, 01:01 PM

Driver - 9*-12*
3W - 15*
3/4H - 19*-22*
5-UW - 26*- 50*
Wedges 54* & 58*
Putter

I then have one more to add to the bag, but what gaps do you prefer to cover to your style of play?

What gap are you looking to fill?

Micdeez
1st March 2017, 01:04 PM
What gap are you looking to fill?

Just looking to spend more coin :roll:

I'm still an absolute chopper so I'd have to suss it out when I get to a launch monitor.

Dotty
1st March 2017, 01:14 PM
Just looking to spend more coin :roll:

Then you need a Honma putter. ;)

thecollective
1st March 2017, 01:19 PM
get a driving iron - around 18deg

Micdeez
1st March 2017, 01:19 PM
Then you need a Honma putter. ;)

Gorgeous putters!
Too bad, I just ordered a #7 O-Works!

Micdeez
1st March 2017, 01:24 PM
get a driving iron - around 18deg

Can a chopper hit one of those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backintheswing
1st March 2017, 01:26 PM
I have that exact same setup and have a 4 iron

3oneday
1st March 2017, 01:29 PM
Doesn't look like you have any gaps, have an extra schooner after golf for a few weeks instead.

thecollective
1st March 2017, 01:42 PM
Can a chopper hit one of those?

arguably yes...you will get more control with a DI over a hybrid, if you miss-hit it is likely to spray far less than a hybrid as well

Most DI's these days contain a very fat sole - making it hard to dig them into the ground; hence if you can hit a hybrid you should be able to make contact with a DI

Dotty
1st March 2017, 01:43 PM
Doesn't look like you have any gaps, have an extra schooner after golf for a few weeks instead.
Drunk bidding?

That will quickly fill gaps that don't exist.

mrbluu
1st March 2017, 01:45 PM

Driver - 9*-12*
3W - 15*
3/4H - 19*-22*
5-UW - 26*- 50*
Wedges 54* & 58*
Putter

Do u actually have a 19 or 22* hybrid??

Dotty
1st March 2017, 01:47 PM
I suspect that it is Cobra hybrid, with 3* adjustment.

Micdeez
1st March 2017, 01:47 PM

Cobra F7! Adjustable only from that loft range

3oneday
1st March 2017, 01:49 PM
I read two hybrids, if it is only one you need another hybrid/4 iron for mine. You can't change the loft mid round :)

But beer is a good alternative.

goughy
1st March 2017, 01:51 PM
I only have 12 in my bag. Can the pencil be my 14th club?

davepuppies
1st March 2017, 02:06 PM
I see a gap between the 3 wood and 5 iron.

You current have 1 club here, i would have 2.

I run a 19 degree 5 wood, then a 4 iron (or hybrid)

Dotty
1st March 2017, 02:07 PM
Provided you only use one Footjoy as your leather wedge.

You wouldn't want kick a ball out of the rough with the wrong foot, and get pinged for using too many clubs.

JADO75
1st March 2017, 03:10 PM
Play two drivers

Jazz18
1st March 2017, 03:38 PM
if you miss-hit it is likely to spray far less than a hybrid as well

TC -I could be wrong, but I'm not sure this is correct. Irons and DI's have flat faces. Hybrids have bulge and roll similar to a fairway wood or driver which helps with gear effect, which results in improving dispersion when shots are hit off centre. Flat face irons and driving irons do not.

Micdeez, make sure you demo a DI before you fork out for one. Not saying you won't be able to hit one or won't really like one but DI's, like hybrids, are not for everyone. A month ago I would have said you were crazy if you told me I'd bench my Srixon Z U45 driving irons for hybrids, but I have. By finding the right hybrids, I've found them to be just as straight, they launch higher, are more forgiving, go further and are more versatile than my DI's. Not getting rid of my DI's but will be using hybrids for the most part.

Like most of the guys have mentioned, I think you need 2 clubs between your 3 wood and 5 iron. 2 hybrids work well for me for that gap.

Micdeez
1st March 2017, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I haven't hit a DI in my life, so will see how it all goes this Saturday when I hit up Power Golf's monitors.

I'll demo what you blokes suggested - 5W or a 4-5H in 22*. I'll report back with my super explosive distance stats.

Captain Nemo
1st March 2017, 04:07 PM
Peroni, and not the light crap.

Micdeez
1st March 2017, 04:08 PM
Peroni, and not the light crap.

Mate, you know I'm always down for a Peroni. And it doesn't need to be in that fancy flask.

jimandr
1st March 2017, 05:37 PM
There are two questions being asked in this thread.

I interpret the 14th club question to mean the last club in your bag, or the first one to go if the rules changed so that we were only allowed 13 clubs. My last club is my 60 degree. While I have sort of learned how to use it for chipping, I can't do full swing shots with it, and I usually only use it for chipping in very specific situations. So I'd chuck it if I had to.

In Mic's case, if he is unhappy with his 58 I'd suggest a new mix of wedges, 52, 56 and 60. If he is happy with his 58, he doesn't really need another club. In that case, I'd carry a 3 or 4 iron purely for the purpose of chipping low shots out from under trees. I can't play punchout shots with hybrids.

Johnny Canuck
1st March 2017, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I haven't hit a DI in my life, so will see how it all goes this Saturday when I hit up Power Golf's monitors.

I'll demo what you blokes suggested - 5W or a 4-5H in 22*. I'll report back with my super explosive distance stats.

My 5w is equivalent to my 20° hybrid. It goes much further than my 23°

Micdeez
1st March 2017, 07:50 PM
My 5w is equivalent to my 20° hybrid. It goes much further than my 23°

Aren't the lofts lower on a 5W over a 4H 22-23*? Is that your point? Just checking.

wazamac
1st March 2017, 07:53 PM

Better take a club out of my bag cause I need a calculator as well. :(

Micdeez
2nd March 2017, 09:19 AM
There are two questions being asked in this thread.

I interpret the 14th club question to mean the last club in your bag, or the first one to go if the rules changed so that we were only allowed 13 clubs. My last club is my 60 degree. While I have sort of learned how to use it for chipping, I can't do full swing shots with it, and I usually only use it for chipping in very specific situations. So I'd chuck it if I had to.

In Mic's case, if he is unhappy with his 58 I'd suggest a new mix of wedges, 52, 56 and 60. If he is happy with his 58, he doesn't really need another club. In that case, I'd carry a 3 or 4 iron purely for the purpose of chipping low shots out from under trees. I can't play punchout shots with hybrids.

Cheers jimandr, but I just dropped a few big ones on Glide 2.0's so there is no replacing that any moment.

I only hit from under trees when it was at Kogarah or Cabra :lol:.

So 4i, 5W or 4-5H to demo this weekend then