PDA

View Full Version : Malty MMB-17 irons and Golf Works club building

Smilesy
28th February 2017, 04:27 PM
Hi All,
Has anyone hit the Maltby MMB-17 irons, I'm intrigued by them, not just the price but the whole idea of a forgiving blade. Also has anyone had clubs built by Golf Works, if so how was the quality of their work?
Thanks

Jazz18
28th February 2017, 08:36 PM
Never hit them but there's plenty of blades out there that aren't too hard to hit. Can't speak for the quality personally and I'm sure they would be ok, but the main issue I see (unless you'll use them until they have no grooves left) is, they will only be worth $1.57 once you've unwrapped them.

davidp
28th February 2017, 09:17 PM
The quality of Golf Works build is variable. I've had friends from the US have good experiences and some have bad experiences. Generally nothing wrong with the Maltby (or Snake Eyes or Golfsmith) forgings. Generally out of the same Chinese foundries as big OEM brands using similar or the same methods. As Jazz points out, buy them to play as the resale is pretty poor. Better option may be to see if you can buy the heads / shafts and have them shipped here. Then find your own club builder here who can build to your specs and can compensate for any manufacturing out of spec differences in the components. I've played Maltby irons in the past and find Wishon or KZG have stuff more suited to my eye. I still play a couple of Maltby wedges though.

Smilesy
1st March 2017, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Resale value isn't a huge concern for me, my current irons (13 Apex Pros) wouldn't be worth more than $200, they've got some very aggressive wear makes now so I've lost a lot more on them.
I quite like the idea of the MMB-17 as they are fairly high launch irons from what I've read. That is something I'm looking for, but I don't want to look down at a big GI iron really. From a price point of view it is around $600 all up including building which is also tempting and very easy to get past the wife.

3oneday
1st March 2017, 10:58 AM
If you're happy with that price I can't see why you wouldn't go ahead.

Warranty issues on irons are pretty rare, if a head comes off you reglue it, not much can really go wrong.

If you give them your specs and they arrive wrong, I guess you just get them corrected here at your cost, that's probably the only risk.