PDA

View Full Version : Nrl: 2017

PerryGroves
27th February 2017, 11:14 AM
The painful wait between the end of the Big Bash and the start of footy season is almost done.

I see the league have finally got off their asre and are putting a salary cap on "football departments". Been a bug bear of mine for years, they put salary caps on players and coaches get paid $2m plus and send the club broke which was what they were trying to avoid with player overpayments.

Should be a negative for the Broncos so that's good for football (first sledge)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-to-introduce-salary-cap-on-football-departments-as-clubs-blow-budgets-by-29-million/news-story/d97c8f1ac35a0f2020bf58310433cb79

In no particular order, I'd like to see:

- the Knights play better
- Manly make the eight against the odds
- Storm win the spoon
- Mitchell Pearce do OK
- not talk about refereeing
- Cameron Smith pass the ball backwards once or twice

SundayHack
27th February 2017, 11:18 AM
In no particular order, I'd like to see:

- the Knights play better
- Manly make the eight against the odds
- Storm win the spoon
- Mitchell Pearce do OK
- not talk about refereeing
- Cameron Smith pass the ball backwards once or twice

Sounds like a disappointing year coming up for you.

3oneday
27th February 2017, 11:23 AM
You're list is a tough act to follow, no chance although Pearce will probably play origin.

jimandr
27th February 2017, 12:48 PM
The painful wait between the end of the Big Bash and the start of footy season is almost done.

I see the league have finally got off their asre and are putting a salary cap on "football departments". Been a bug bear of mine for years, they put salary caps on players and coaches get paid $2m plus and send the club broke which was what they were trying to avoid with player overpayments.

This is an interesting, but strange development. I would think a business enterprise should be able to spend their budget any way they like, and if they go broke as a result, so be it.

My personal (and totally ignorant) view is that off-field spending on nutrition advisors and Stephen Dank style experts is greatly over-rated in their importance. There are only so many one-percenters you can gain, and after a while it is just a waste of money and resources. My firm suspicion is that the Knights aren't a rubbish team because of their support staff, and the Sharks didn't win the comp because of their support staff.

I don't really have a wishlist. i always want Manly to win the spoon. But I do want Jason Taylor to be first coach sacked, and I think he will be.

backintheswing
27th February 2017, 01:17 PM
I want Broncos on TV every Friday night. Helps to start the weekend off great.

First round sucks as I think we are on Thursday night.

SundayHack
27th February 2017, 01:41 PM

Tough opening few rounds for the Brons. Won't kick start your weekends if they are 0-6.

Ron Burgundy
27th February 2017, 07:33 PM
The Broncos had revenue of $42mil last year. They'll still find ways to spend it regardless of what the NRL put caps on. The massive new training facility they're building across the road is a reasonable start. That might use up a chunk of their cash reserves, but I'm sure uncle Rupert's accountants will find something clever to do with the rest.

JADO75
7th March 2017, 10:21 PM
Just got told a sneaky rumour, Jarryd Hayne to the Roosters in the next 2-3 weeks.

3oneday
8th March 2017, 07:14 AM
Do they need more second rowers?

WBennett
8th March 2017, 07:30 AM

Friday night Broncos is just another reason I don't watch rugby league any more.

jimandr
12th March 2017, 06:10 PM
So, after almost two rounds, I can write off the season already.

After tipping 4 last week, I've got 1 so far this round.

In my fantasy team, three of my stars didn't make half time. I'm gawwn.

It hurts my head to think about this, but bear with me.

Parra beat Manly by 10 points.

Souths beat Manly by 20 points. So Souths are 10 points better than Parra.

Wests beat Souths by 20 points. So Wests must be 30 points better than Parra.

Penrith just beat Wests by 40 points, so they must be 70 points better than Parra.

St George beat Penrith by 20 points, so St George must be 90 points better than Parramatta. Get on now for pick the score/margin.

By the way, I've tipped Parra, so that is an even greater burden for them to overcome.

PeteyD
13th March 2017, 09:50 AM
Parra won didn't they? Hopefully the minibus gets shown the door from the Tigers after that performance.

3oneday
13th March 2017, 10:15 AM
dogs were consistent

BUSHY
13th March 2017, 10:37 AM
After a miserable tipping week last week I've raced to the top of the comp with some bold tips this week.

mrbluu
13th March 2017, 12:43 PM
So, after almost two rounds, I can write off the season already.

After tipping 4 last week, I've got 1 so far this round.

In my fantasy team, three of my stars didn't make half time. I'm gawwn.

It hurts my head to think about this, but bear with me.

Parra beat Manly by 10 points.

Souths beat Manly by 20 points. So Souths are 10 points better than Parra.

Wests beat Souths by 20 points. So Wests must be 30 points better than Parra.

Penrith just beat Wests by 40 points, so they must be 70 points better than Parra.

St George beat Penrith by 20 points, so St George must be 90 points better than Parramatta. Get on now for pick the score/margin.

By the way, I've tipped Parra, so that is an even greater burden for them to overcome.

At least you're stil your positive self :mrgreen:

MAZA68
16th March 2017, 10:20 PM
At least the Bronco's didn't have to wait for extra time this week.

damoocow
16th March 2017, 11:23 PM
At least there was some niggle and agro in tonight's game - NRL is fast becoming as boring to watch as soccer.

Jarro
17th March 2017, 08:07 PM
Warriors are woeful

3oneday
17th March 2017, 09:24 PM
So are Parra.

kiwitown
17th March 2017, 09:52 PM
Warriors are woeful

Woeful is not the word..

damoocow
17th March 2017, 10:10 PM
So are Parra.

Good to hear, hopefully the woman basher was on the losing team.

Captain Nemo
20th March 2017, 12:14 PM
Parra won didn't they? Hopefully the minibus gets shown the door from the Tigers after that performance. Won't be long Pete!!

PeteyD
20th March 2017, 12:32 PM
Waiting waiting ...

Captain Nemo
20th March 2017, 12:40 PM
Lol, by the end of the week...
In all fairness, I'm biased as I went to school with him but it's not entirely his fault. They have 4-5 guys wanting contract upgrades of $600k + that aren't worth 1/2 that. All posers if you ask me, no ticker....
Jmo.

WBennett
20th March 2017, 01:06 PM
Good to see the Broncos get another Friday night prime time home game with an 8 day break, against a team that played on Sunday and has to travel.

Captain Nemo
20th March 2017, 01:12 PM
Good to see the Broncos get another Friday night prime time home game with an 8 day break, against a team that played on Sunday and has to travel.NRL wouldn't want to upset the QRL would they...

PeteyD
20th March 2017, 01:14 PM
The club is still a basket case. No ticker hardly explains it.

backintheswing
20th March 2017, 01:17 PM
Good to see the Broncos get another Friday night prime time home game with an 8 day break, against a team that played on Sunday and has to travel.

Yes it is, isn't it?

Ron Burgundy
20th March 2017, 02:07 PM
NRL wouldn't want to upset the QRL would they... It's not the QRL that would be upset, it's channel 9. If other teams want to lock in more Friday night games they should get themselves more supporters.

PeteyD
20th March 2017, 03:19 PM
And Goneski. Andrew Webster goes from assistant to interim head coach.

3Puttpete
20th March 2017, 04:02 PM
3 rounds in and they've sacked the coach?

I'd hazard a guess the coach isn't what's wrong with that footy club.

TheNuclearOne
20th March 2017, 04:04 PM
Robbie might be having a quiet chuckle. I may have this wrong, but it seems the same players he supported via his treatment of Robbie may have stabbed him in the back?

WBennett
20th March 2017, 04:16 PM
Words can not express how bad the Tigers were yesterday.

Lucky the Raiders were asleep for the first 20-odd minutes - they should have put 70 on.

Captain Nemo
20th March 2017, 04:16 PM
Robbie might be having a quiet chuckle. I may have this wrong, but it seems the same players he supported via his treatment of Robbie may have stabbed him in the back? Sounds like the tickerless big 4 wouldnt re sign unless he went?Maybe they should have a dig instead of whinging.

PeteyD
20th March 2017, 04:26 PM
Not like a player to dictate to the club who should be coaching ....

He should have gone after last year. But as I said before the club is still a basket case. Interest in NRL is already gone for me for this year.

TheNuclearOne
20th March 2017, 08:04 PM
Sounds like the tickerless big 4 wouldnt re sign unless he went?Maybe they should have a dig instead of whinging.

I did hear that on the radio Saturday. From what i've read Taylo may have gotten rid of Robbie to appease said players and others. The club looked strong before the season started, the've got a decent roster. Be interesting to see what happens now, no reason they can't put it together a bit?

3oneday
20th March 2017, 08:25 PM
Big 4 getting smacked by 70 odd in two games? Gun players, not.

I guess you back them to win next week. Where to for JT. England?

jimandr
20th March 2017, 10:35 PM
Tedesco is a gun, and the main reason you want to keep him is so you don't have to play against him.

Brooks and Moses are good players, but well short of gun status. You wouldn't be afraid of playing against either.

Woods is also a good player, but he is no better than another 20 forwards in the game. I don't think Qld think about him as a threat in Origin.

Taylor is dead as a coach, and possibly even as an employee in the game. He has shown he doesn't have man management skills, and without that, whatever other qualities he possesses mean nothing. He'll probably coach Manly next year, or maybe even later this year. There is always someone in the backroom who likes guys like him.

KristianJ
20th March 2017, 10:39 PM
If anything, the best case for him is that he'll end up like Steve Price, be an assistant coach and all we ever see of him is running water during games.

PerryGroves
21st March 2017, 07:36 AM
So the four guys coming off contract wouldn't sign if JT was coach. Fair play to them, in every negotiation regardless of which side you need to know who has the power. The clubs management have put themselves in a position where this is possible on top of the Robbie fiasco last year.

Would suggest if they want Ivan Cleary, he won't accept BS from a useless board and management.

As a Manly supporter, I'd love to have Tedesco (but don't need him), the halves, no and Aaron Woods is the most over rated player since the great Braith was plying his trade.

WBennett
21st March 2017, 07:39 AM
Good to see the NRL cracking down on clubs failing players in their duty of care with concussions with $350k in fines for clubs.

The next crackdown should be related to the actions that cause concussions - the souths bloke with the swinging arm - should have been sent off. Burgess throwing the elbow - should have been sent off.

It is a contact sport, and head clashes and accidental contact will occur, but any action that is deliberate or careless that attacks the head of an opponent should be an immediate send off, and the bunker should step in to ensure the right decision is made on the day.

3oneday
21st March 2017, 09:04 AM
350k suspended sentences? Guaranteed no one will ever be fined that. Nrl are always big on the talk.

Captain Nemo
21st March 2017, 09:42 AM
Thought it was $35k

PeteyD
21st March 2017, 11:01 AM
50k per incident I think.

MAZA68
21st March 2017, 08:50 PM
Do the NRL still run/own then Titans, therefore they are fining themselves?

Captain Nemo
21st March 2017, 09:19 PM
Lol, yep!

PeteyD
22nd March 2017, 07:23 AM
And the Knights.

PeteyD
22nd March 2017, 07:55 AM
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/wests-tigers/jason-taylor-has-been-sacked-as-wests-tigers-coach-and-this-time-robbie-farah-cant-be-blamed-20170320-gv2bv1.html

S (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/wests-tigers/jason-taylor-has-been-sacked-as-wests-tigers-coach-and-this-time-robbie-farah-cant-be-blamed-20170320-gv2bv1.html)uch a cluster****.

pt73
22nd March 2017, 09:48 AM
Rumours that Jason Taumalolo is going to sign a 10 year contract @ 1m a year with the Cowboys.

MAZA68
22nd March 2017, 07:11 PM
Rumours that Jason Taumalolo is going to sign a 10 year contract @ 1m a year with the Cowboys.

Done deal

MAZA68
22nd March 2017, 07:12 PM
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/wests-tigers/jason-taylor-has-been-sacked-as-wests-tigers-coach-and-this-time-robbie-farah-cant-be-blamed-20170320-gv2bv1.html

S (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/wests-tigers/jason-taylor-has-been-sacked-as-wests-tigers-coach-and-this-time-robbie-farah-cant-be-blamed-20170320-gv2bv1.html)uch a cluster****.

Yea and the Tigers are still paying Robbie, must be sitting back and smiling!

jimandr
22nd March 2017, 10:24 PM

Amazing decision, and further proof of why we need salary caps. Clubs simply cannot be trusted to spend their money wisely (Tigers being a perfect example).

I'll be surprised if they get 5 quality years out of Taumololo. The way he plays, his speed and strength are his assets, and the first serious injury he gets, his speed will be compromised.

The US baseball teams often plan these ultralong contracts for their superstars, and they hardly ever pan out. This is a bad trend if it continues.

TheNuclearOne
22nd March 2017, 10:38 PM
Great for the athlete tho.

PeteyD
23rd March 2017, 06:08 AM
Yea and the Tigers are still paying Robbie, must be sitting back and smiling!

And Sironen and now Taylor. This is the sort of mess Oakland were in a few years ago (except the NFL is a lot more $$) and the owner brought in a strong manager who has turned it around big time, but it took 5 years to get rid of the poor contracts etc. The Tigers are in such a mess I doubt they could bring in anyone to clean it up.

Amazing decision, and further proof of why we need salary caps. Clubs simply cannot be trusted to spend their money wisely (Tigers being a perfect example).

I'll be surprised if they get 5 quality years out of Taumololo. The way he plays, his speed and strength are his assets, and the first serious injury he gets, his speed will be compromised.

The US baseball teams often plan these ultralong contracts for their superstars, and they hardly ever pan out. This is a bad trend if it continues.

10 year contract is almost unfathomable. I wonder what clauses are in there and we all know if he doesn't perform they'll get out of it.

Dcanto
24th March 2017, 02:55 PM
Nice to see that Peter Gallen aspires to be like his big brother.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-24/peter-gallen-cops-two-year-drug-ban/8383800

PerryGroves
25th March 2017, 08:11 PM
#haslergawn

Captain Nemo
25th March 2017, 08:25 PM
#haslergawn Oh PG, I live in hope...Please be right.

PerryGroves
25th March 2017, 08:32 PM
He's just no good L, mind you I would be lucky to pay Klemmer and Reynolds more than match payments.

Captain Nemo
25th March 2017, 09:01 PM
I'd only pay the whole lot match payments.
No ticker at all.

Eag's
9th April 2017, 06:50 PM
How about the Mighty Dragons....going along OK ;)

Jarro
13th April 2017, 05:51 PM
How about the Mighty Dragons....going along OK ;)
They've sure surprised me Eag's ..... playing like world beaters so far 👏

3oneday
13th April 2017, 06:34 PM
Bird off to Broncos, wonder if that will kill off Sharks chance at a top 4. No coke head, no ennis and now another guy playing with no motivation.

Jarro
13th April 2017, 07:16 PM
Bird off to Broncos, wonder if that will kill off Sharks chance at a top 4. No coke head, no ennis and now another guy playing with no motivation.

Hopefully [emoji106]

TheNuclearOne
13th April 2017, 11:59 PM
Hahaha, love the honesty Jarro!

Jarro
14th April 2017, 08:17 AM
Hahaha, love the honesty Jarro!
😆

Sorry..i just can't stand Peptide Paul 😠

TheNuclearOne
20th April 2017, 10:15 PM
Well the Cap and 3 are gonna be pleased, not to mention Roosters fans. Feel a bit sorry for The Tigers.

benno_r
20th April 2017, 10:32 PM
Well the Cap and 3 are gonna be pleased, not to mention Roosters fans. Feel a bit sorry for The Tigers.
Better off paying f all to miss the finals than top dollar.

TheNuclearOne
20th April 2017, 11:26 PM
True enough. I think with Cleary at the helm tho they might have been dangerous if they kept those two.

jimandr
20th April 2017, 11:50 PM
In theory, the Tigers should now have some room in their cap to remain competitive. But they seem to operate under a different cap to the Bronco's, Roosters and Bulldogs.

PeteyD
21st April 2017, 04:54 AM
Meh the Tigers are a disaster. At least Cleary seems like a step in the right direction. Although Woods is a big loss, I think they can mitigate that if they now use the cap room wisely. However I somehow doubt they will. Pretty sure the year they won (in the dark ages) they were well under their cap.

3oneday
21st April 2017, 05:05 AM
Wonder what will happen to grub.

jimandr
28th April 2017, 10:37 PM
So, not only do I get the result of the Souths - Manly game spectacularly wrong, but I drop Uate out of my fantasy team and he scores 4 tries. Grrr.

Ron Burgundy
6th May 2017, 04:49 PM
It's been a good week for rugby league players and officials getting on the nose beers. Shaun Kenny-Dowall and the Sharks chairman both done for possession, and two Kiwi test players busted on CCTV last night after the game. Imagine how many more might have gotten amongst it if their headphones had made it back from Columbia!

Captain Nemo
6th May 2017, 04:59 PM
Lol....

TheNuclearOne
6th May 2017, 05:06 PM
It's been a good week for rugby league players and officials getting on the nose beers. Shaun Kenny-Dowall and the Sharks chairman both done for possession, and two Kiwi test players busted on CCTV last night after the game. Imagine how many more might have gotten amongst it if their headphones had made it back from Columbia!

Coke definitely seems to be the NRL drug of choice. I'd say plenty of other sports would follow suit too. It would be interesting to know just how rife it is in the NRL.

Captain Nemo
6th May 2017, 05:14 PM
Coke definitely seems to be the NRL drug of choice. I'd say plenty of other sports would follow suit too. It would be interesting to know just how rife it is in the NRL. Very.... ;)

Steve57
6th May 2017, 07:00 PM
Very.... ;)
A certain ex Australian Capt must be off it now, his voice seems to be returning!

Captain Nemo
10th May 2017, 09:00 AM
Hasler has gone mad.
First that galoof from the Tigers, now Foran?
And letting Reynolds go???
Give me a break, I'm just about done with the dogs...
Might have to succumb to the wife and daughter and join the chicken coop?

chappy1970
11th May 2017, 09:44 PM
Let me preface this by saying I know little to nothing about league.

I don't watch a lot of NRL, but I have watched most of the dogs v cowboys game on tv tonight.

One word springs to mind about the commentary..."Parochial". The bias towards the dogs is embarrassing

Captain Nemo
11th May 2017, 10:29 PM
What channel did you watch it on Chappy?

3oneday
12th May 2017, 06:32 AM
They were probably focussing on how shit they were.

Jarro
12th May 2017, 09:10 AM
Let me preface this by saying I know little to nothing about league.

I don't watch a lot of NRL, but I have watched most of the dogs v cowboys game on tv tonight.

One word springs to mind about the commentary..."Parochial". The bias towards the dogs is embarrassing

Channel Nein no doubt, Hadleys commentary is abominable !!

pt73
12th May 2017, 11:55 AM
Barring most of the Dogs players selected from playing City - Country also did a lot of good.

Ron Burgundy
15th May 2017, 05:43 PM
http://www.betootaadvocate.com/sports/cocaine-worried-nrl-starting-hurt-image/

TheNuclearOne
15th May 2017, 06:25 PM
Gold.

backintheswing
15th May 2017, 06:44 PM
Gagai possibly moving to Souths on a 4 year deal

Captain Nemo
15th May 2017, 07:03 PM
Gagai possibly moving to Souths on a 4 year deal
Pretty sure it's a done deal...

backintheswing
15th May 2017, 07:14 PM
Pretty sure it's a done deal...

I'll see his dad tomorrow and ask him

Captain Nemo
15th May 2017, 07:17 PM
I'll see his dad tomorrow and ask him
I think GI sealed the deal for them...
Calling Grunt!

Lagerlover
17th May 2017, 09:14 PM
GI off to rehab

Captain Nemo
17th May 2017, 09:50 PM
GI off to rehab
Drugs or booze or both?
What the $1m a year not enough to keep him happy?

3oneday
17th May 2017, 10:25 PM
Mental health, taboo.

Captain Nemo
18th May 2017, 06:05 AM
Ahhhh, wish him all the best then.

PerryGroves
22nd May 2017, 10:49 AM
Good to see Sam Burgess fire off a complaint to the refs at half time about the constant wrestling and holding on in tackles from the Storm. Whilst I realise everyone does it to a degree (what a great legacy you are going to leave Bellyache) the Storm continue to go above and beyond.

I may be mistaken but I even think Grub Smith the protected species was penalised last night.

Nice tipping from BITS who got the card, I'm of course wallowing in mid table mediocrity.

3Puttpete
22nd May 2017, 11:19 AM
Good to see Sam Burgess fire off a complaint to the refs at half time about the constant wrestling and holding on in tackles from the Storm. Whilst I realise everyone does it to a degree (what a great legacy you are going to leave Bellyache) the Storm continue to go above and beyond.

I may be mistaken but I even think Grub Smith the protected species was penalised last night.

Nice tipping from BITS who got the card, I'm of course wallowing in mid table mediocrity.
Look on the bright side. You whinging about the storm keeps the league threads alive on here.

PerryGroves
22nd May 2017, 11:48 AM
As I said to LL, I like to think I'm here to help

3oneday
22nd May 2017, 04:09 PM
Was a ball tearingly exciting game.

Fraser
28th May 2017, 09:12 AM
Look on the bright side. You whinging about the storm keeps the league threads alive on here.

its the losers way...

chappy1970
8th June 2017, 09:30 PM
When you're watching a Storm v Sharks game and the commentators shout yes when the Sharks kick a field goal...pfft, this game is doomed

TheNuclearOne
8th June 2017, 09:43 PM
That was one heck of a game.

jimandr
23rd June 2017, 07:23 PM
I switched on the Warriors v Bulldogs after watching the news. I was shocked.

I thought the reports of Josh Jackson and David Klemmer playing two days after Origin were just a typical Hasler smokescreen. But there they were, on the field.

Two months ago, they were not permitted to play City v Country due to concerns for their player welfare for a club game 4 days later.

Maybe the criticism of that move has caused Dessie to not be concerned about player welfare any longer. Perhaps he is more concerned about coach welfare.

Captain Nemo
23rd June 2017, 07:29 PM
**** Jim, really?
They lose this game it's organise end of season trip time!
Need all the artillery they can get, and even that's not enough!

3oneday
23rd June 2017, 08:05 PM
Woeful game, shite refereeing again.

NRL is close to a no go zone.

Captain Nemo
23rd June 2017, 08:14 PM
Yep, shit game.

TheTrueReview
21st August 2017, 07:28 PM
Neil Henry gone. The two assistant coaches will look after the team for the next two matches.

I watched the press conference. "It wasn't player initiated", the CEO said. That says to me that the sponsors had something to do with it. They were barking in the media last week that they supported Jarryd Hayne and didn't like the way he was being "treated."

Perhaps Neil Henry should've got tips from Wayne Bennett about how he gives baby Darius his bottle each night and then puts him to bed. I think Jarryd needed that extra care from Neil Henry.

MAZA68
3rd September 2017, 06:03 PM
Go the Dogs, Cowboys into the Finals.

Jarro
4th September 2017, 05:22 PM
Hope the Chooks can pull a decent crowd for a finals game :?

Ron Burgundy
10th September 2017, 05:01 PM
Hope the Chooks can pull a decent crowd for a finals game :? They didn't and neither have the Sharks. Do any Sydney teams have supporters? Surely it's embarrassing playing a home final and only half filling the ground.

PeteyD
10th September 2017, 06:23 PM
95000 at the G to watch Richmond. Pretty poor crowds in comparison.

KristianJ
10th September 2017, 06:31 PM
Bloody embarrassing. Neither of the 3 Allianz games looked any different from a normal season Roosters game.

But at least Penrith got up and the Cows live to fight another week. Wish I could hitch a lift down to Brissy with Jim and get him to drop me off at Suncorp for Bris/Pen on Fri night, but I'll cheer the Panthers on from back at home.

3oneday
10th September 2017, 08:15 PM
Only 4 refs left to screw the games up, plus bunker and touchies.

The officiating keeps thousands away I reckon.

SundayHack
10th September 2017, 10:34 PM
The officiating keeps thousands away I reckon.Only in Sydney....Eat dick sandwiches Sharks.

pt73
11th September 2017, 10:06 AM
They didn't and neither have the Sharks. Do any Sydney teams have supporters? Surely it's embarrassing playing a home final and only half filling the ground.
And Todd Greenburg's grand plan is to move all games away from suburban grounds to big stadiums.

Go figure .........

pt73
11th September 2017, 10:08 AM
Only 4 refs left to screw the games up, plus bunker and touchies.

The officiating keeps thousands away I reckon.
Any wonder Bill Harrigan gave Archer 2 out of 10 for his performance as the head of referees.

MAZA68
11th September 2017, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=pt73;1358055]And Todd Greenburg's grand plan is to move all games away from suburban grounds to big stadiums.

Makes no sense, you will loose the community/suburban support for the teams.

Ron Burgundy
12th September 2017, 08:39 AM
Surely it's embarrassing playing a home final and only half filling the ground. Turns out I was being too generous. Average Sydney finals crowd last weekend was 17500. That's just over 1/3 of the SFS capacity. And now they're playing this weekend's game at homebush. A sub-20k crowd is going to look interesting at an 80k venue. Little wonder AFL is taking over if league fans can't be arsed even going to finals games.

PerryGroves
12th September 2017, 08:52 AM
Low crowds for NRL finals=AFL taking over. Not sure I get the link given AFL crowds are also declining.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-25/richard-hinds-agony-low-crowd-attendances-footy-codes/8839466

3Puttpete
12th September 2017, 09:44 AM
Low crowds for NRL finals=AFL taking over. Not sure I get the link given AFL crowds are also declining.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-25/richard-hinds-agony-low-crowd-attendances-footy-codes/8839466

Not according to any numbers available anywhere.

pt73
12th September 2017, 09:56 AM
On NRL 360 last night Buzz Rothfield said the Week 1 finals crowds were down 30% on last year.

No clue where he got those numbers but if true, they are a real worry.

SundayHack
12th September 2017, 10:56 AM
Last year week 1 had 1 game in Sydney. This year there was 3. Crowd numbers will improve with Brisbane hosting a knock out semi this weekend. They will probably get more than all the Sydney games combined from this past weekend.
Sydneysiders will than be in an uproar if the gf gets moved to Qld next year though.

PerryGroves
12th September 2017, 01:28 PM

Not according to any numbers available anywhere.

Here is one measure

Average AFL crowd (including finals) 2007: 38,100.............last year 33,200 (down 13%)

NRL over the same period 16,577 to 16,057 (down 3%)

3Puttpete
12th September 2017, 01:40 PM
Here is one measure

Average AFL crowd (including finals) 2007: 38,100.............last year 33,200 (down 13%)

NRL over the same period 16,577 to 16,057 (down 3%)

Apples and oranges for the afl. 2007 didn't have two crap teams in western Sydney and the Gold Coast. 2012 onwards.

It's one of the mistakes he makes in his article

Ron Burgundy
12th September 2017, 02:24 PM
Granted there's probably not an absolute causal link between one weeks worth of attendance figures and any impending total demise of rugby league in Sydney. But if one code is barely filling 1/3 of their grounds for home finals and another is packing them out, that's one indicator of fan involvement and interest in the game. Broadcast deals and participation rates would seem to also correlate with this.

And those stats, like all stats, can be analyzed any number of ways. For example between 2007-2017 total attendance for home and away rounds at league games declined 5.3% while AFL grew 4%. First week average crowds for the AFL finals of 59k aren't too shabby either. Make of that what you will. Might mean something, might mean nothing.

As a league fan it'd be nice to see some atmosphere at the games and having sat through a game at the SFS with only 7k or so other people there I can tell you there's more atmosphere at a wake. Still, could have been worse. Last year one of the roosters games at the SFS only drew 3600 people!

3oneday
12th September 2017, 03:05 PM
It also says that 10 years later the administration of the NRL has marginally less of a clue than they had before.

3Puttpete
12th September 2017, 03:32 PM
Average crowds will be much different this weekend when gws and the broncos host finals

wazamac
12th September 2017, 06:28 PM
AFL Average attendances for 2012

Home & Away:6238876 (31509)
Finals:539948 (59994)
Overall:6778824 (32748)

afltables.com/afl/crowds/2012.html

SundayHack
12th September 2017, 07:13 PM
Take this Afl shit elsewhere.

Steve57
12th September 2017, 07:20 PM
Average crowds will be much different this weekend when gws and the broncos host finalsHave you forgotten the Cats play the Swans at the MCG on Friday night?
I would suggest that will attract far more followers than the Broncos at Suncorp.
The ground capacity at the G is double that of Suncorp.

3Puttpete
12th September 2017, 08:19 PM
Have you forgotten the Cats play the Swans at the MCG on Friday night?
I would suggest that will attract far more followers than the Broncos at Suncorp.
The ground capacity at the G is double that of Suncorp.

Geelong supporters didn't get there last week [emoji234]

Steve57
12th September 2017, 08:21 PM
Geelong supporters didn't get there last week [emoji234]
But this time they are the only Victorian team competing against the arch enemy the Swans.

Daves
17th September 2017, 08:39 AM
On behalf of the AFLers;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

Ned
19th September 2017, 06:17 PM
Hasler sacked.!

3oneday
19th September 2017, 06:27 PM
Is Matt Scott a chance of playing this weekend?

Captain Nemo
19th September 2017, 06:30 PM
Hasler sacked.! A year too late...

Captain Nemo
19th September 2017, 06:30 PM
Is Matt Scott a chance of playing this weekend? Hope so..

PerryGroves
20th September 2017, 09:42 AM
Sydney Fans Urged to Support Roosters.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sydney-fans-urged-to-back-roosters-in-charge-for-nrl-premiership-glory/news-story/44bd5513057354984186e524bfa54fec

No chance this will happen, go Cowboys.

Nemo, you jumping on the latte sipping bandwagon?

Captain Nemo
20th September 2017, 09:59 AM
**** that PG
Have to put up with the FIL for 5 hrs everyday then get home and cop it from the mrs!
Hope they get bent over this weekend.
On a brighter note Des got the arse so I'm all 😀

PerryGroves
20th September 2017, 10:29 AM
On a brighter note Des got the arse so I'm all 

Suppose someone will pick him up although the Dogs situation is not dissimilar to how he dropped a turd on Tooves doorstep and ****ed off.

Back ended deals causing massive salary cap problems, failure to address roster issues, the incoming coach/management has to exit "star" players who are saleable Glenn Stewart/James Graham/Reynolds and the turn around post Des takes years.

No question he's a coach who can get results and if management are prepared to sacrifice the potential of immediate results for time in the wilderness, he's your man. That said I've never really resolved whether two premierships in 7 years was worth it........the 40-0 over the filth was certainly a great day.

Presume Dean Pay is your man?

3oneday
20th September 2017, 07:45 PM
Has to be Pay. Still they'll be in the same position as Wests for a couple of years post Taylor.

If they sign Taylor I might follow the Knights.

Toxic
22nd September 2017, 09:32 PM
Go the Storm

SundayHack
22nd September 2017, 09:36 PM
By the looks everyone else is just playing to watch Smith lift the trophy next Sunday night.

Ron Burgundy
22nd September 2017, 09:40 PM
At least being a broncos fan is predictable. We know we'll always have something to watch Fri nights, just like we know we'll get knocked out by the filth at some point. God I hope the Cows get up tomorrow otherwise it'll be 2 GFs in a row with 2 teams everyone hates. Cheering for a team last year was like a choosing between being stabbed or poisoned. This year will be worse if it chooks vs filth.

timah!
22nd September 2017, 09:57 PM
Go Storm [emoji41]

shazza_rs
22nd September 2017, 10:11 PM
Broncos were outclassed tonight. Storm looked very impressive in the second half.
Now to cheer for the Cowgirls so those dirty chooks don't make the final.

Captain Nemo
22nd September 2017, 10:46 PM
Go the Filth!

3oneday
22nd September 2017, 11:00 PM
I found myself going for broncos, will probably go for cows tomorrow. Care facter on gf will be low if I'm wrong twice.

PerryGroves
23rd September 2017, 10:25 AM
God I hope the Cows get up tomorrow otherwise it'll be 2 GFs in a row with 2 teams everyone hates. Cheering for a team last year was like a choosing between being stabbed or poisoned. This year will be worse if it chooks vs filth.

Spot on Ron, go GWS.

PeteyD
23rd September 2017, 06:02 PM
Hard to believe how bad Brisbane were in the 20, or how great the Storms defense was.

perci
23rd September 2017, 09:31 PM
Go the Boyyys!

SundayHack
23rd September 2017, 09:36 PM
Yeee haaa. The cowboys are my team and it's my dream to see them at the top. Bring on next weekend and the filth

Captain Nemo
23rd September 2017, 09:38 PM
Wow!
Outstanding....

SundayHack
23rd September 2017, 11:01 PM
Better than nachos. Tomatoes and all.

jimandr
23rd September 2017, 11:23 PM
Better than nachos. Tomatoes and all.

I wouldn't bother with the scalpers for a ticket this year, Sunday. I think there may be one or two unsold tickets still available very close to game time. Actually, come to think of it, the scalpers might be selling for well less than face value just to cut their losses. It could be the worst attended GF ever.

After my FNQ experience at the Cairns Casino I can be an honorary Cowboys fan for the day, but it will be a miracle if "we" are celebrating next weekend.

SundayHack
23rd September 2017, 11:59 PM
I'm sorted got tickets when first released. Go every year. Couldn't careless if I was the only prick there.

Lagerlover
24th September 2017, 05:42 AM
Just lucky you Sydneysiders have got an AFL GF to cheer for...

Jarro
24th September 2017, 09:40 AM
Go Cows [emoji106]

Lagerlover
24th September 2017, 09:58 AM
Go Cows [emoji106] Good boy Jarro, (it's actually pronounced "crows")

MAZA68
25th September 2017, 09:17 PM
"It could be the worst attended GF ever".
Another reason to shift the final to Queensland!

PerryGroves
27th September 2017, 06:43 AM
Yeee haaa. The cowboys are my team and it's my dream to see them at the top. Bring on next weekend and the filth

Go Cows, beat the........

Captain Nemo
27th September 2017, 06:51 AM
Well played PG.
Wonder where Fraser is these days, he’d be grinning ear to ear!

PerryGroves
27th September 2017, 10:13 AM
Wonder where Fraser is these days, he’d be grinning ear to ear!

Ol' Fraser, gave as good as he got and for a Storm supporter actually knew what he was talking about.

Captain Nemo
27th September 2017, 10:18 AM
Lol...

Toxic
1st October 2017, 10:01 PM
Not sure on The Churchill

Surely Cam Smith was bog

chappy1970
1st October 2017, 10:07 PM
EAD Gus Gould.

This GF must have stung a bit

SundayHack
1st October 2017, 11:06 PM
Hollow feeling but still proud of how the Cows played this year. We will be back next year stronger.

MAZA68
2nd October 2017, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't bother with the scalpers for a ticket this year, Sunday. I think there may be one or two unsold tickets still available very close to game time. Actually, come to think of it, the scalpers might be selling for well less than face value just to cut their losses. It could be the worst attended GF ever.After my FNQ experience at the Cairns Casino I can be an honorary Cowboys fan for the day, but it will be a miracle if "we" are celebrating next weekend.79k+ pretty good crowd for non nsw teams

Ferrins
2nd October 2017, 10:19 AM
Who won?

Jarro
2nd October 2017, 10:39 AM
Who won?

The better team

Jarro
2nd October 2017, 10:40 AM
Congrats to the Storm, far and away the best team all year and fully deserving to be crowned premiers for 2017.

Captain Nemo
2nd October 2017, 11:36 AM
Who won? Macklemore....

Lagerlover
2nd October 2017, 11:39 AM
Macklemore....

True dat.

No doubt back to X factor runner ups next year though

MAZA68
2nd October 2017, 12:31 PM
True dat.

No doubt back to X factor runner ups next year though

Both AFL and NRL have will have tough acts to follow up with next year

Lagerlover
2nd October 2017, 12:59 PM
Judging by the moronic anti import attitude pre game, the NRL is please to announce..

THE SEEKERS

3oneday
3rd October 2017, 08:02 AM
He was great, his set included the song that was causing the fuss, but he didn't do anything different. Much ado about nothing, but then, Fox Sports finished their pregame coverage with that same love song ONLY.

PC BS.

liptout
3rd October 2017, 04:57 PM
I find it pretty difficult to bag out the cowboys and cowboys fans, cause generally I like the way they play footy; no nonsense footy and like to get involved in the middle of the field with the tough stuff you need to win games.

But as for the fans of other clubs out there, SUCK IT AND SUCK IT HARD!!

Go STORM!!

That was a clinic in how to play finals footy, well footy in general really. And instead of whinging about wrestle this, holding that bla bla bla, if other clubs tried to be as professional as the Storm are/have been they might actually get better and make the NRL enjoyable to watch again and not so one sided.....

But like I said above, SUCK IT UP EVERYBODY, I hope that that Storm victory burns deep down inside!! ;) ;)

3oneday
4th October 2017, 07:35 AM
Nah, nobody cares enough :)

PeteyD
4th October 2017, 07:45 AM
Go Fraser