PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on SAN backup solutions

Fishman Dan
15th June 2006, 09:31 PM
8 servers backing up to a single Dell PowerVault 24 slot library over the SAN fabric.

Software packages, hardware solutions, vendors etc. All info gratefully accepted.

Anyone not posting helpful information will be dobbed.

Fishman Dan
15th June 2006, 09:34 PM
Multiple DLT and SDLT drives in individual servers - all consolidated into the 1 unit.

HIGHLY SEXUAL!

AndyP
15th June 2006, 09:36 PM
Quiet night, lads?

Fishman Dan
15th June 2006, 09:38 PM
If you're not going to help AP i'll dob you..

terryand
15th June 2006, 09:40 PM
I suggest you take the lan and isolate it with the router then find a 1000 gig hard drive and duplicate it with a back up notebook, then you can double back through a multi switch so you can run multiple modums all at the same time.

But if this doesn't work just wait for Connico to log on.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
15th June 2006, 09:42 PM

:lol:

You know what, i forgot all about the C-Factor!

Courty
15th June 2006, 09:56 PM
Trash it all and buy a single Macintosh. Problem solved.

Choppa
15th June 2006, 10:08 PM
I suggest you take the lan and isolate it with the router then find a 1000 gig hard drive and duplicate it with a back up notebook, then you can double back through a multi switch so you can run multiple modums all at the same time.

Terry.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Courty
15th June 2006, 10:11 PM
8 servers backing up to a single Dell PowerVault 24 slot library over the SAN fabric.

Make sure you double stitch the seams so the fabric doesn't rip. :-s
You can use, err, Microsoft Sew. :roll:

Ducky
15th June 2006, 11:30 PM
OMG you hacked the mainframe!

Bruce
16th June 2006, 09:41 AM

Software packages, hardware solutions, vendors etc. All info gratefully accepted.

Anyone not posting helpful information will be dobbed.

How much data?
What retention policies? (ie. How many Gb/days)
Amount of zeros in the budget?
Are you ditching the Powervault? or do you want to keep it?
Do you/will you use a private backup network?

connico
16th June 2006, 10:17 AM
Bruced asked all the right questions there.

But one more

Windows or Unix or doesnt matter?
SLA for restores?

connico
16th June 2006, 11:55 AM
Hmm questions arnt very helpful are they??

Look in all seriousness, if your after a SAN that is quick and easy to install and manage then i cannot recommend more highly than the HP SAN solutions.

Right now im using an SDLT320, coupled with a Autoloader with 8 Carts it does about 140-160gigs every 3 hours, its fully automated and can be autopiloted/managed and remotely managed.

Im also running Veritas Netbackup, on a V250 with an industry standard HP SSL1016, running a Veritas file system backing up in tar. Each storage solution is very different and there alot out there to choose from.

But from experience Veritas software/symantic stuff, comes with good technical support and will have onsite engineers visit you to install and configure software on hardware that you have brought. Most of the time very helpful.

I cant speak more highly of the lower end server solutions from sun the V and the T series servers have been exceptional this past year and also they have reduced the heat generated from our dataroom.

Regardless if you answer some of bruce questions we might be able to come up with a suitable and affordable solution for you mate

Courty
16th June 2006, 11:58 AM
That's what I was gunna say. :shock: :roll:

Fishman Dan
16th June 2006, 12:01 PM
Settle mate. I was here last night getting it sorted and got a little bored. Could you tell?

If you want something to chew on, we've got a Dell Powervault 132T with 23 LTO 3 slots (400/800). Backups that were taking 2 hours now complete in under 30 minutes.

Everything is now SAN connected using BackupExec 10d and the SSO (SAN Storage Option) - it's not large enough yet to bother using CASO (Centralised Adminstration Storage option), but when the Exchange and other app servers are replaced that will happen. So basically one of the servers has been designated to maintain the BackupExec database and owns the library hardware.

Like i said - highly sexual!

connico
16th June 2006, 12:08 PM
Hows BackupExec, iv been planing to do a trail of it on one of our systems since its marginally cheaper than running veritas netbackup on all our storage solutions?

Whats the support like and does it run on anything bar windows?

Fishman Dan
16th June 2006, 12:58 PM
We held off BE until now, v10d (10.1). I heard ordinary things before this update. Prior to that we stuck to 9.1 which was extremely stable, and prior to that 8.6.

Support is usually very good, but haven't had to speak to them much since they became a Symantec product. Mind you, they are still very much Veritas.

The knowledgebase on the website is very good, and you can Google most things that go wrong with it. My problem last night could be resolved with the online (F1) Help.

Ironically my issue last night turned out that i had to reboot the primary SSO object, THEN install the secondary clients. Pretty handy stuff - seeing as though i had to install the product to find that out. :roll:

That logic is enough to drive us to the pi$$ 69..

AndyP
16th June 2006, 03:11 PM
.... in all seriousness, ....
When did this get serious?

connico
16th June 2006, 04:14 PM
i dont know, i think it was a typo..you know me andy typo all the time!!

AndyP
16th June 2006, 04:53 PM
So you're blaming your fingers for what you post?

connico
16th June 2006, 04:55 PM
and my brain??? is that ok wit you???

also im blaming my subculture, i cant type proper english because of generation gap and my nerd l33t skills..

bet you, you didnt get all that...

Courty
16th June 2006, 04:57 PM
You wouldn't be ADHD by any chance, would you? ;)

connico
16th June 2006, 05:26 PM
the doctors thought that at once stage i was adhd, but they did all sorts of tests and i wore them down, so they just put it off as me being me...i think they got tried of doing tests that werent conclusive enough.

in the end they just put me in a "special" class for most of primary school...when i got to high school i got all my agression out on the playground and school sports, i was an inside/outside centre for a while in rugby...

Fishman Dan
16th June 2006, 06:37 PM
Don't stop there, i'm sure there's so much more to you that we don't know...

Geez - 4 lines of text and you didn't have sex.

3oneday
16th June 2006, 08:07 PM
Geez - 4 lines of text and you didn't have sex.not that you saw !!!!

:lol:

connico
20th June 2006, 08:38 AM
damn right!