PDA

View Full Version : Help with my 2 different swings

trev79
4th February 2017, 04:08 PM
Hi all

I have been playing every week now for the last 3 years. I reckon I have now well and truly gone from weekend hacker to half decent mid-handicapper. My handicap is 15.

I normally have a simple swing where I swing back and then forward and its pretty consistent.

Recently I discovered a different swing where I slowly swing back and then on the downswing I bring my right elbow in close which lags the club and produces faster/whippy swing at contact and the ball travels a bit further.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on which swing would be better for me in the long term. The normal swing is a little easier than the more complex whippy swing but I get a little bit less distance with the normal swing. Thanks.

Grumpy8
4th February 2017, 04:23 PM
Google Ben hogans swing and what they call hogans pivot or pivot move and you will have your answer

trev79
6th February 2017, 08:05 AM
Tried researching it. Nothing was clear. Just all very long winded explanations. Just trying to get a simple answer. Anyways I tried swing with my new second swing on Sunday and got 40 stableford points. So happy with that but the swing just feels unczomfortable and harder to execute

Toolish
6th February 2017, 08:10 AM
Without seeing the swings I would say the second one gives more opportunity for development, but what you feel like you are doing and what you are actually doing may be very different.

davepuppies
6th February 2017, 03:20 PM
Sadly no such thing as a simple answer.

Without seeing your 2 swings, the second sounds like you are potentially dropping the club inside, and maybe creating more lag, dependant on your release.

My suggestion, go see a pro and work the best solution in person, as all we can do here is give guesses......

mrbluu
6th February 2017, 03:48 PM
Hi all

I have been playing every week now for the last 3 years. I reckon I have now well and truly gone from weekend hacker to half decent mid-handicapper. My handicap is 15.

I normally have a simple swing where I swing back and then forward and its pretty consistent.

Recently I discovered a different swing where I slowly swing back and then on the downswing I bring my right elbow in close which lags the club and produces faster/whippy swing at contact and the ball travels a bit further.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on which swing would be better for me in the long term. The normal swing is a little easier than the more complex whippy swing but I get a little bit less distance with the normal swing. Thanks.

Go with whichever swing that will help you buy more clubs?? :mrgreen:

Seriously what DP said, go see a coach!!!!

trev79
7th February 2017, 07:59 AM
You guys are right. I'll get a lesson
Yes I think my second swing is called dropping the club inside. I did make better contact most of the time but it's a more complex swing.

mrbluu
7th February 2017, 10:17 AM
You guys are right. I'll get a lesson
Yes I think my second swing is called dropping the club inside. I did make better contact most of the time but it's a more complex swing.
Good idea. But speak to Ur pro on a long term plan not just a quick fix.

jimandr
7th February 2017, 09:05 PM
I've got at least six different swings, probably more. Observers probably can't tell the difference, but I know whether I'm trying to keep my lead shoulder still, my trail elbow close to my body, my hands high, or whether I'm trying to swing more upright or more flat.

To answer the question posed without seeking professional help (recommended), use the swing that gives you the most satisfaction. That might be the straight one, or it might be the longer one. But stick to one swing thought for the entire round, don't chop and change depending on what type of shot you want to hit.

You'll find something you think works. Then a week later it won't work. That's golf.

virge666
7th February 2017, 10:24 PM
Yes. Love it. Do it

Simple enough...

Also then... Push up with your feet when you swing down with your arms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk