PDA

View Full Version : Advice with woods

Chris32
14th June 2006, 10:05 AM
Well, time has come for me to get a driver/3 wood that matches my irons

My driver I am currently using is a Cobra 370 SS, 7.5*
I bought this driver at the start of the year, I went for 7.5* as my previous 9* Big Bertha went way too high, and got no roll. About a month after I got the Cobra, I snapped the shaft while at the driving range. I replaced it with a Aldila NV-S. The combination of a 7.5* head and the NV shaft has made my driver very hard to hit straight.

In this time I also upraged my irons, to Titleist 690.CB's, with S300 shafts. I had these fitted, basic specs being 0.5" long, 4* upright. I am hitting these quite well, I am happy with there performance

Having just joined a golf club, I have been doing a bit of practice. Mainly mid-short irons to get my swing tempo at a pace where I feel comfortable.

My handicap is currently 17. After 5 comp rounds, I am averaging 34 putts a round, 49% fairways hit, 5% GIR. My big miss of the tee with my driver is either a big block out to the right, or a worm burning duck hook left.

While my driving stats might sound pretty good, the un-forgiving nature of my course means that most of the time, I am using my 2 iron off the tee for accuracy. I average about 220m of the tee with my 2 iron.

Par 5's are costing me the most, as thats where I am using my driver, and spraying them everywhere. I am currently averaging 8 shots per Par 5! This is really costing me, for instance on the weekend, I had 32 points, with 3 wipes, all Par 5's. These are the holes I expect to score well on, not walk off with triple bogey!

I have spoken to the club pro, and he is going to organize some loan 3 woods and driver for me to use/test in the coming weeks.

I trialed a Cobra X-speed 13* 3 wood last week, it went very long, but still lacks the control I am after.

I am thinking along the lines of a steel shafted 3 wood, to match more similarly to my irons, feel wise. I have had a look at the Titleist 904F with a steel shaft, and hope to demo one this weekend.

I am thinking steel shafts for my 3 wood at least, as with graphite I find it feels to light and I get very loose with my swing. Might even go steel in my driver if need be

What are everyone's thoughts that has some knowledge in this area, or does anyone have any 3 woods that they reckon I should have a try of?

Cheers, Chris

BrisVegas
14th June 2006, 10:21 AM
When you say control, do you mean the ability to precisely shape your shots, or do you mean forgiveness to keep shots going fairly straight when you don't quite flush them??

I think it's a good idea to demo as many different clubs as you can. I think with 3 woods, there are only small differences between different brands/designs. After all, they are all pretty small. The basic difference is whether you go for a shallow face style which are the easiest to hit off the deck or a more traditional shape that is a useful tee club too.

I am very happy with my 904F 3 wood with steel shaft. A few others on the forum use the exact same setup and like it.

Drivers are much more diverse, simply because of the massive head size and longer shaft length. I have found most of the 460cc heads are very forgiving, and go pretty much straight and high. That may or may not be what you're after. My current driver is 400cc and was a huge step up from my previous 320cc club. It is incrementally straighter on mis-hits but I can still get plenty of curve out of it. I think it won't be long before I'll be wanting a 460cc head to maximise the straightness. Why fight it??

Again with driver... do you want to be able to shape your shots easily OR hit it as straight as possible on less than perfect swings??

Chris32
14th June 2006, 11:01 AM
I am after accuracy/straighness rather than being able to shape shots at this point in time.

3 wood would almost exclusivley be used of the tee, off the deck I can't see it being needed that much. Although a 3 wood that is suitbale for both would be handy

Jarro
14th June 2006, 01:11 PM
i hear those Adams fairway woods are pretty good Chris ... might be what you're looking for.

I used to have a CobraSS 370 as well, they go long .. but wayyyyy too high :p

Chris32
14th June 2006, 03:25 PM
Yeah, seen/hit the Adams stuff, it pretty good

Problem is though, I want a 3 wood that feels like I am swinging one of my irons, and thats proving hard to find!

andylo
14th June 2006, 03:50 PM
Wouldn't a hybird club with a 3 wood loft is what you are after? You meant to hit your hybird like your 7 iron anyway. (down and thru... VS wood's sweaping)

connico
14th June 2006, 03:53 PM
you can still hit down on the woods, but andys right on this one, get a hybrid and that might resolve your issues with finding a club?

3oneday
14th June 2006, 03:53 PM
Wouldn't a hybird club with a 3 wood loft is what you are after? You meant to hit your hybird like your 7 iron anyway. (down and thru... VS wood's sweaping)

:roll: ummm, what was that ???

:lol:

Chris32
14th June 2006, 04:00 PM
tried that, got a 15* Bridgestone J33 hybrid, got it of Jarro

Would not get in the air, at all! I think its that shaft, Aldila NV-S Hybrid, thats the problem. I could re-shaft that with a DGS300 I guess, but not sure if it would help or hinder the situation

Jarro
14th June 2006, 04:07 PM
Chris, i just got myself another :roll: Taylormade 200Tour 15* fairway wood and it's a beast 8)

Hitting woods from the fairway has always been hard for me, but these babies make it really easy.

I thoroughly recommend them if you can find one ;)

AndyP
14th June 2006, 04:08 PM
Chris, maybe you could buy it off jarro when he's finished with it in a couple of weeks.......

Jarro
14th June 2006, 04:46 PM
Chris, maybe you could buy it off jarro when he's finished with it in a couple of weeks.......

hardy har har

andylo
14th June 2006, 04:49 PM
hardy har har

you said the same thing on a few occasions. :)

Chris maybe try something with softer tip. I think Irod hybird is a good start.

I personally find that using steel shaft on hybird just making it hard to launch the ball high but I am a crap hack.

Look at the UST range (if you keen on graphite hybird shaft) and I am sure you will find something works well for you.

990B Luva
14th June 2006, 05:46 PM

Like the last 200 Tour he had:mrgreen:

Jarro
14th June 2006, 06:22 PM

don't you dare say a word mate !!

andylo
15th June 2006, 09:39 AM
don't you dare say a word mate !!

;)

Chris32
15th June 2006, 12:08 PM
What shafts would you guys reccomend?

I have been advised something with low torque and a stiff tip would benefit me most

andylo
15th June 2006, 12:21 PM
Chris from what you said in the thread you are having problem the get it up (the golf ball) with the J33 hybird so a stiff tip shaft is something you want to avoid.

Let me ask you something 1st. Do you have a late release in your swing?

If you have a late release you can probably look at something with mid-stiff flex tip and lower torque. If not I would recommend you a softer tip shaft.

Something like Proforce V2 Hybrid shaft have softer tip and it makes it easier to launch the ball higher. It got a 3.5* of torque..... which in HO term its kinda high. But unless you are swinging your driver 120MPH you probably don't want something with too low torque because it will feel quite stiff and you will want to power the shaft, which leads to inconsistent result.

But if you still want to after something with lower torque, then the Irod hybird is your safe bet. The tip is slightly stiffer and I think the torque is only 2.5* or so. I personally experienced with it and I find that you might want to go 1/2 a flex softer as it feel kinda stiff.

Forget about stiff tip if you have problem to get the ball up with hybird club. Because the shaft will just not create enough "bend" to give you the loft you need.

Chris32
15th June 2006, 12:36 PM
I was thinking more of what shafts for my driver?

No problem getting the driver or any other of my clubs up and flying, just that hybrid

andylo
15th June 2006, 12:39 PM
Oh... sure... then in this case you are aftering the consistency part.

Mind if I ask what is your stock miss? On you fade side, or draw side?

brad
15th June 2006, 01:49 PM
I know this goes against the thread a bit, but if you can hit a 2 iron 220m :shock: then why not work on your selection/practice of driver and wood over a longer period of time and just use the 2 iron. You can still easily reach par 5s in regulation and have a crack at a birdy.

I know heaps of (older) guys at our club with handicaps around 10 who can't hit that long with their driver !

Chris32
15th June 2006, 02:29 PM
andylo - stock miss is a hook 3/4, other miss is a huge block out to the right

brad - I know what you mean about the older guys, the last few weeks I have been right up next or past them with my 2 iron, and they are hitting driver - BUT, there second shots always hit the green, I tend to pull mine a little, and then face with a chip/bunker shot. They have a 2 put par, I have a 2 put bogey, and ten of those later they are playing to 10, while I am playing to 18! Frustrating!

Not hepled too, as my clubs practice range is quite short, about 230m, and they frown upon hitting range balls into the dam which is right behind the range!

Par 5's at the moment are costing me 8 shots on average, as I am having to recover from a poor drive and then scramble from there. My thinking is with a decent drive/3 wood of the tee, I can start trying to have a crack at the green with my second, and trying to par the hole

On another note, I hit a 905R with a UST Proforce V2 shaft in it at lunch at a retail outlet in town, liked the feel of that shaft

AndyP
15th June 2006, 02:33 PM
I found I started playing par 5s better, when I eliminated the thought of going for the green in two shots, and taking 1 putt birdies where I could get them.

andylo
15th June 2006, 02:58 PM
Chris, from what you said I suspect you have a Over The Top move (I have exact same problem with you) and occasionally both of us run out of space for the right arm during down swing and blocked it.

I just suspect you do, I am not sure ;)

Maybe I suggest you get a lesson or 2 to get rid of the OTT move? :)

I am sure once you rid of the OTT move the ball will obey to you more.

I guess at the moment I can't really recommend much about shafts. If its the driver shaft the green NV and Graflloy Blue seems works with majority of fellow golfers if you find the right flex for your swing speed. Both of these are low torque and stiff tip shaft. Note that the Blue play 1/2 a flex stronger than it suggest.

If you have a late release I HIGHLY recommend the Accra SC series. From a bunch of premium shaft I have tried it performed the most consistent for high handicapper like me.

But I really like to see you get a lesson or 2 to get rid of the OTT move 1st (if thats the case) ;)

Chris32
15th June 2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah, lessons are on the cards, I have a free lesson from when I joined, so that will be taken soon

andylo
15th June 2006, 03:26 PM
Chris... suggest you take the lesson 1st... then worry about the shaft thing later. :)

Once you sort out your swing you can swing almost any shaft :)

Chris32
15th June 2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah, probably not a bad point mate, although I am reasonably consistant enough to work out what shaft will suit me best

Jarro
15th June 2006, 04:13 PM
just listen to ALo Chris, and you can't go wrong ;)

andylo
15th June 2006, 04:47 PM
jarro my buddy... don't say that... I am just another high capper who talk too much ;)

Iain
15th June 2006, 05:10 PM
If you have a late release I HIGHLY recommend the Accra SC series. From a bunch of premium shaft I have tried it performed the most consistent for high handicapper like me.
Andy, these shafts (through Ben) are $345 a pop, I know they are likely cheaper OS, but suggesting a $300 dollar shaft is ridiculous....

Let alone to an 18 handicap (No offense Chris :-D)

Iain

3oneday
15th June 2006, 08:00 PM
Andy, these shafts (through Ben) are $345 a pop, I know they are likely cheaper OS, but suggesting a $300 dollar shaft is ridiculous....

Let alone to an 18 handicap (No offense Chris :-D)

Iainwhat he said, a blue, a prolaunch, an Nv or an NVS are just as good, IMHO of course ;)

Jarro
15th June 2006, 08:22 PM
can't beat the good old NV if you ask me ;)

Chris32
16th June 2006, 09:06 AM
Yeah, i wouldn't spend that sort of money on a shaft, the benefits would be hard for me to make use of

The NV is good, providing you don't have a 7.5* head on the end of it!

3oneday
16th June 2006, 09:13 AM
The NV is good, providing you don't have a 7.5* head on the end of it!NVS would be the answer then.

Chris32
16th June 2006, 09:27 AM
Thinking maybe of Proforce V2, but I have to demo a few clubs first

Jarro
16th June 2006, 09:40 AM
mate, in all honesty, you shouldn't be playing a 7.5* head.

they are just not forgiving enough for us higher handicappers. Have you thought of just keeping the same setup shaftwise, and looking for a slightly more lofted head ? something around the 9* mark maybe.

Chris32
16th June 2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I know, its not the best setup!

I am thinking of going to a shaft like the Proforce V2, low torque, and stiff, with a 9.5 0r 10.5* head. I want accuracy rather than distance

BrisVegas
16th June 2006, 01:52 PM
didn't perci have a Graf Blue for sale cheap as dirt??? That would do the same job as a V2.

Iain
16th June 2006, 02:27 PM
I don't think a graffolly blue would be a good match with a 7.5* head?? Something with a lower kickpoint would be better I think.....

Toolish
16th June 2006, 03:59 PM
A-lo...how did you come up with the OTT call on the swings...hooks and blocks caused from OTT? If anything hooks and blocks are usually a swing too much from the inside...

Chris...fairway wood wise I just bought a 904F in 17° with a NV Stiff...awesome fairway wood... bit of extra loft to get it straighter...brilliant off the tee and off the deck if length is not a major issue...with 220m 2 irons length should be fine.

Driver wise...I too tried a 905R with a V2...they are a sweet setup. Go a 10.5 if accuracy is a major concern, may lose some distance but again more loft = straighter.

Chris32
16th June 2006, 04:21 PM
yeah, 904F steel shaft either 15 or 17*, and want to trial 905R with V2 shaft, 10.5*

My 7.5* driver will be retired, maybe hit at the drivin range for a bit of a laugh!

Matt 3 Jab
17th June 2006, 08:49 AM
I agree toolish, coming from the inside too much causes hooks and blocks, i've had that problem for years. OTT would be slices and pulls.
Its just a matter of what angle the club face is at impact that will determine the block or hook, open or closed.

Iain
17th June 2006, 04:58 PM
An OTT move could cause a smother hook, if you have a closed clubface at impact.

Jarro
17th June 2006, 07:37 PM
An OTT move could cause a smother hook, if you have a closed clubface at impact.

speaking from experience again ;)

Iain
17th June 2006, 09:19 PM
speaking from experience again ;)
Nope

Jarro
17th June 2006, 09:23 PM
Nope

sorry, i must've been thinking about shanks ;)

Toolish
18th June 2006, 02:04 PM
Smother hook from OTT and closed face...yeah....but where do the blocks come from?

Flowergirl
20th June 2006, 10:00 PM
Don't get too carried away with thinking that changing equipment will be a quick fix to what is more likely to be a swing fault issue and course management situation. As Alo said - get those lessons happening. And as AP said - why be trying to reach Par 5's in two shots and making 8's when you can reach it easier in 3 and 2 putt for your par or one putt for your birdie. Sorry - but I don't get it. You're going to hate me for being blunt - but you just aren't doing yourself any favours at all.
That's my motherly advice - for what it's worth:razz: :smt002

I'm not really a ***** - I'm actually very nice - just trying to be helpful - really I am.Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Chris32
21st June 2006, 09:50 AM
I know what you mean.

On the weekend, I played the par on the par 5's I had a 6,7,6, the 2 sixes being 2 iron of the tee, lay up, shot at green, missed green by a metre or so, pitch and two puts. The seven was a 3 wood of the tee, punch out of the rough, layup because of no shot, shot at green, chip and two putts!

I didn't hit the driver all day, as I was hitting the ball quite well of the tee. The rest of my game was very ordinary though! One of the worst rounds I have had in a long while, but thats golf!

New driver in the wings, as well as more practice and lessons!