PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in the USA

keymaster
31st January 2017, 05:15 PM
Hi guys

Heading to the US in a few months time.

Anyone got any suggestions for golf shopping? Outlets? Retailers?

Not looking for clubs or anything big. Probably just clothing/accessories.

Cheers guys!

spanner039
31st January 2017, 05:28 PM
They don't always stock the same things as you see on the line. So if you find some shoes or clothes they may not have it in the store

And golf stuff isn't really that cheap unless you go to second swing or something like that.

Golf smith when I was there last was interesting but not a lot different to Drummonds and not much cheaper

hardboiled
31st January 2017, 05:37 PM
Izod at the outlets.. Bloody cheap

pt73
31st January 2017, 06:06 PM
Where are you going ?

I got some great bargains at outlets when I lived there at Nike, Izod, Ashworth etc. and also stores like Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, Marshalls etc. who sell prior year stock.

rhino62
31st January 2017, 06:36 PM
Macy's has Greg Norman apparel. I got a couple of Polo shirts for $7 at Dillard's when I was there in October, so check the large department stores for clearance stuff. The golf stores clearance section is worth a look. The outlets can be hit & miss with sizes at times but prices usually are pretty good.

keymaster
31st January 2017, 06:50 PM
Thanks so far guys.

I'm heading to the usual. LA, Vegas, New York.

Which outlets and departments do you suggest to hit up?

hardboiled
31st January 2017, 07:27 PM
Woodbury for sure in New York.. It's a whole day trip tho.

rhino62
1st February 2017, 09:03 PM
Thanks so far guys.

I'm heading to the usual. LA, Vegas, New York.

Which outlets and departments do you suggest to hit up?

Vegas and New York have Maceys. Vegas outlets have Adidas, Puma etc, the south outlet has Greg Norman. There are a couple of golf shops in New York City. From memory there was one a couple of blocks from the Empire State Building.

Good hunting.

davidp
2nd February 2017, 12:27 AM
Marshalls for sure for run-out stock. 2nd Swing Golf in suburban Minneapolis is an amazing place for clubs - you can always find a bargain there and the guys are always open to negotiation. But if you're not looking for clubs well ... And Minneapolis is still cold this time of year.

sfdoddsy
2nd February 2017, 09:11 PM
I was just in Vegas and LA. Clubs, with the exchange rate, are actually about the same price as here. Some, like Callaway, are actually cheaper.

Clothing can be cheap, but not necessarily that much cheaper than here depending on sales.

Much like here, you'll find the previous seasons stuff heavily discounted in most of the bigger stores

Since our seasons are opposite, that means right now you can get bargains on winter stuff. Howeve, as mentioned above, they have different stules for different countries and regions. I' have no idea of your sartorial standards, but the US has less'trendy' stuff than we do.

Vegas doesn't have that many golf stores. Vegas Golf is OK, Dick's Sporting kind of lame. The Taylormade Experience has some bargains on Adidas.

Much better is LA. Roger Dunn on Bundy Drive is my fave. Lots of discounted clothing.

They also have a very big used section, but again you can get used clubs on this site or eBay for less than you'll pay for used clubs in the US.

I bought a couple of things, but frankly the hassle of boxing them up for the flight home was more trouble than its worth.

The exception is exotic stuff you can't find here like fancy shafts. Get them on eBay and have them shipped to your hotel.

darkeststar07
3rd February 2017, 01:21 PM
I just came back from the US. As sfdoddsy mentioned, our weak dollar makes it about the same price.

The only thing that I bought in was 4 boxes of Pro-V1 as $39.99

keymaster
5th February 2017, 08:25 AM
Cheers guys.

I'm not really setting any expectations for golf gear. I think I'll hit up the outlets and see what shakes out.

dM.
6th February 2017, 08:01 PM
What you will find is that these days some of the bigger companies are working of US prices - It is an international market these days so if you are priced similar to the US give or take $20 bucks for the postage costs from there you will keep the AU buyers. Some things can't be priced match due to very different Whole sale prices or if one region discontinues and sales a product earlier then another.

keymaster
31st May 2017, 02:00 PM
An update on this one if anyone was interested.

Just got back from the US. Like most of you mentioned, there's not really many bargains to be had.

I hit up the Woodbury outlet, no cheap golf stuff. Macy's across the board had really really cheap Greg Norman gear. Under Armour wasn't too badly priced too.

The only golf thing i bought was some Winn dri-tac grips in Dick's Sporting goods, which were on clearance. They worked out to be ~$3 each.

You can get some generic sports gear in Macy's clearance, but it's pot luck.

LoveGolf2012
31st May 2017, 02:33 PM
I'm in USA now, couple of weeks ago I bought a box of Chrome Soft X at Grayhawk in Scottsdale, cost $68 US, so over $80 AUS dollars a dozen, I didn't even check receipt till I walked out of pro shop...Then seen them in a Target store here in Texas for $39 US dollars...[emoji23][emoji23]