PDA

View Full Version : The Duncan Bennett Cup

Trung
14th June 2006, 06:03 AM
This would be a great way to honour Duncan's name with Ozgolf.

BrisWesty
14th June 2006, 06:30 AM
Fantastic idea Trung

Jarro
14th June 2006, 06:34 AM
absolutely ... let's do it.

Moe Norman
14th June 2006, 08:24 AM
I can get a classic style cup made up if you guys want?

Eag's
14th June 2006, 09:20 AM
Great idea Trungy, count me in for sure.

Grunt
14th June 2006, 10:54 AM
I was speaking with Trung this morning when he came up with the idea. I'm in too.

burger
14th June 2006, 11:15 AM
Great idea guys!

Bruce
14th June 2006, 04:13 PM
Anyone who doesn't think this is a good idea should just delete their account now.

Jarro
14th June 2006, 04:16 PM
I can get a classic style cup made up if you guys want?

interesting idea.

Do you all think we should get a new trophy ?

PeteyD
14th June 2006, 04:23 PM
Might be the go, but probably best to not call it the Drunken Cup.

990B Luva
14th June 2006, 04:37 PM
lets do it... thats all i can say

Moe Norman
14th June 2006, 05:05 PM
a nice engraved trophy would be the go.

or if you want to honour his name it could be an empty bottle of bundy with the winner having their name on it in nikko. Obviously mounted on timber so someones idiot wife doesn't toss it out.

AndyP
14th June 2006, 06:19 PM
The idea of doing something in honour of him, like the Duncan Bennett Cup, was definitely something I was thinking about before announcing the bad news to you guys. I just wanted to wait for the shock to subside a bit before suggesting it. Needless to say, I'm in full support of doing this.

Do you all think we should get a new trophy ?
We can easily get the current trophy engraved. I'd opt to keep the current one, but I'm biased.

Speirsy11
14th June 2006, 06:57 PM
Great idea Trung. From everyone's words he was a fine young man taken far too soon. Something like this would be a wonderful way to honour his contribution to this board.

markTHEblake
14th June 2006, 07:53 PM
But how will the winner of the Drunken cup be determined?

I was wondering, given Keza's excellent wrap up of the 2005 champs http://ozgolf.net/forums/showpost.php?p=103016&postcount=28

(and Trungs as well) perhaps the Drunken memorial cup could be awarded to the biggest ratbag on the evening of our champs? and complete with a 6 pack and a group SMS

Flowergirl
15th June 2006, 09:53 AM
For my 2 cents I think we need to adopt some form of recognition of Dunc at the Championships. After all its the time when most people are together.
I can see some type of annual memorial event south of the Tweed being a logistic problem in years to come whereas the Champs are the best time to remember him.

I agree. The Champs should become "The Duncan Bennett Memorial Trophy"

terryand
15th June 2006, 04:31 PM
I agree with the thought that we should hold the "DB" Cup in conjunction with the Champs.

My thoughts were that one part of the Champs should honour his memory, whether it be the gross trophy or the 1st or 2nd round.

For me I think it would be fitting that the 2nd round should be used as the "DB" Cup for a couple of reasons. One being that those of us that have a shocker in the 1st round still have something of significance to play for and secondly, it would be fitting that the winner has won after a big night with a similar amount of sleep as our first Champs when Dunc and Trungie rang us all.

And thirdly for the people that can make the 1st round,they can still play for something on the sunday.

Terry.

AndyP
15th June 2006, 04:36 PM
Aren't we renaming the current OZgolf Champs trophy, as opposed to something in conjunction with it?

terryand
15th June 2006, 04:39 PM
Aren't we renaming the current OZgolf Champs trophy, as opposed to something in conjunction with it?

I thought people started talking a whole new date and event,which would be nice but I don't think we get the numbers to it that it deserved.

Terry.

amanda
15th June 2006, 04:48 PM
I like the idea of an event in conjunction. For all the reasons tez mentioned.

Jarro
15th June 2006, 05:51 PM
what Tezza said 8)

AndyP
15th June 2006, 06:24 PM
I admit that I had had the same thought, but do we have a cup for the overall, a cup for the second round, and a pat on the back for the first round?

goughy
15th June 2006, 06:30 PM
As long as it's not tezza patting me on the back. He'd send me flying.

The second round could be an event on it's own in conjunction???

AndyP
15th June 2006, 06:31 PM
The second round could be an event on it's own in conjunction???
Huh? Run that by me again? Is that any different to what Tez suggested?

goughy
15th June 2006, 06:58 PM
I got no idea. when do I read everything?

AndyP
15th June 2006, 07:02 PM
It was less than 10 posts ago. Do you just scan to get the jist of things?

3oneday
15th June 2006, 07:04 PM
what about something different, so the winner of the champs event doesn't also necessarily win Duncs cup. What about nett, first 9 and last 9 over the 36 holes or even your best 2 9's over the 2 days .

The winner will be a bit of a surprise then, which would make it all the more better for the winner.

Just a suggestion.

Pete

AndyP
15th June 2006, 07:07 PM
And not a bad suggestion at that. Hmmmmm.

How about giving the DB (drunken) Cup to whoever wins the pool championships the night before with plenty of drinks under their belt?

Jarro
15th June 2006, 07:10 PM
How about giving the DB (drunken) Cup to whoever wins the pool championships the night before with plenty of drinks under their belt?

.. save yourselves the trouble and just give it to me now then ;)

markTHEblake
15th June 2006, 07:35 PM

I already suggested something like that - lead balloon apparently.

I dont support renaming the champs, - but whatever it is should be something from within the champs, and something that personifies our memory of him. Certainly seems that the Pool comp could be it

terryand
15th June 2006, 07:40 PM
I also suggest that we move the Champs to the weekend that Trungie is in town so he can honour his pranking partner in crime.

Terry.

AndyP
15th June 2006, 07:43 PM
The only reason he shared with Trung in the first place is because the sneak got to the motel before the rest of us and took his pick from the rooms, instead of being the third in the room that Iain and I had, as previously organised.

Courty
15th June 2006, 08:40 PM
I dont support renaming the champs, - but whatever it is should be something from within the champs, and something that personifies our memory of him. Certainly seems that the Pool comp could be it

The Champs don't have to be renamed. It should still be the Ozgolf Championship, and the winner (gross, nett or otherwise) receives the Duncan Bennet Cup. I don't see why it can't be the 36 hole Champ trophy. It would be the highest accolade on the Ozgolf calendar. Do we want to remember Duncan in a secondary event?

Trung
16th June 2006, 02:20 AM
I also suggest that we move the Champs to the weekend that Trungie is in town so he can honour his pranking partner in crime.

Terry.

Don't do that mate, there are plenty of time ahead.

Jarro
16th June 2006, 03:08 AM
the Ozgolf Championship winner should receive the Duncan Bennett cup.

Flowergirl
16th June 2006, 07:00 AM
the Ozgolf Championship winner should receive the Duncan Bennett cup.

Without a doubt. 100%. I insist:-D Has to be. I knwo what your saying Blakey but I don't think his family would appreciate a pool game and drinking comp as fitting. We can see the humour as a tribute but I don't think his Mum would.
The Ozgolf champ is presented with the Duncan Bennett Cup.

AndyP
16th June 2006, 08:20 AM
Done. I'll organise to get the trophy engraved prior to the Champs.

The Duncan Bennett Cup
or
The Duncan Bennett Memorial Cup
?

I think the first is fine.

Courty
16th June 2006, 08:27 AM
Option 1

Jarro
16th June 2006, 08:33 AM
option 1

can't think of a better way to remember Duncan by than by naming the cup that Gaz will win every year :roll:

Grunt
16th June 2006, 08:35 AM
:smt038 Good work Guys & Girls.

Everything that has happened this week has shown to me what a great (is that a strong enough word) group that we have here. You all deserve a great pat on the pack.

Jarro
16th June 2006, 08:37 AM
thanks Grant, it was nothing really :mrgreen:

yep, i agree .. i think we have a pretty special bunch of assorted nuts here ;)

shavey
19th June 2006, 09:09 PM
proud to be associated with such a special group of people.. well, most of you anyway..

just goes to show that we do actually care for things other than course architecture, course reviews and equipment ho's :)

i like the idea of a plate or shield that can be updated.. played on the dates (or as close as possible) of the unforunate turn of events would provide a sobering reminder on how special life really is..

Keza_G
6th August 2006, 09:02 AM
AP...

Have you got a "cup" yet ?

AndyP
6th August 2006, 06:55 PM
It's the same cup that we already have, but it will be engraved.

Trung
20th September 2006, 08:47 AM
Looking forward to see picture mate...

Trung

AndyP
20th September 2006, 09:55 AM
Guess I should get it off the current holder about now.

Trung
22nd October 2006, 06:28 AM
1 minute silent before the first group tee off would be a nice tribute for our mate Duncan.

Grunt
22nd October 2006, 06:53 AM
Also first drinks Saturday night too!!

Still gives me goosebumps feeling that I lost a mate I never met. Just shows you how much this place brings us all together.

Trung
22nd October 2006, 09:39 AM
A nice thought Trung...but good luck with Blakey shutting up for a min.

I had Blakey for more than 3 hours when I stayed at Surfers few weeks ago. I know what you mean. :???: :shock:

AndyP
22nd October 2006, 09:54 AM
Just tell him he is about to utter his 5000th word for the day, and he should shut up for ages.