PDA

View Full Version : Tragic News: Drunken

AndyP
13th June 2006, 10:45 PM
Many of us have been wondering why Drunken (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/member.php?u=23) hasn't been on the forums. And I for one have been concerned, as I had tried to contact him otherwise over the last couple of months.

I have spoken with his mother today, and I'm sorry to tell you all that Duncan died in a car accident in the wet, earlier this year . Mrs Bennett told me it was at the time that they were having flood rains on the NSW North Coast. Looking back through the forum, I believe the date was Friday, March 3.

This is a tragedy, as Duncan was only 21 and had just made a change in his life. Duncan was on his way home from his last day of his hotel/resort shift work at Byron Bay, and was due to start a new job with the public service on the following Monday and begin studying again.

I'm very upset and in shock from this news, as he was a great guy that I got along with very well. I'm sure those of you who met him would agree.
I was lucky enough to play with him for his first OZgolf round at Glades and played with him several times after, including last year's Champs. We played some horrible golf together, but we always had great fun.

I have passed on my sympathies on behalf of the forum to Mrs Bennett. I have her details, and promised her that I would gather together what photos I could find of Duncan and forward them on to her. I'm sure we could send her more than that.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of such terrible terrible news.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6757/duncan6yy.jpg
RIP
Duncan Bennett
1984-2006
(http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/member.php?u=23)

Eag's
14th June 2006, 12:13 AM
OMFG!! that is terrible news :( :(
What a tragic waste of a young life, he was just getting started and things were
looking great for him.
He will be sadly missed around here and my condolences go out to his family.

Rest in peace old mate.

3oneday
14th June 2006, 02:53 AM
Tragic, great guy from my own experiences..... Must have been just days before that game he didn't arrive to ???

Pete

cazandpaul
14th June 2006, 03:46 AM
This is the worst possible outcome I could have imagined - good fun guy to play golf with and will miss him.

Hope there is a golf course up there.

RIP mate.

gazgolf1
14th June 2006, 04:25 AM
Unbelievable....I'm shocked.
Had the pleasure of Duncan as a playing partner at last years Champs and he was great geeing me up in my game with Blakey.
Jeez....can't believe it.

terryand
14th June 2006, 05:01 AM
Not the news you expect or want to wake up to, I'm speechless.

RIP lefty brother.

Terry.

Grunt
14th June 2006, 05:17 AM
Like Terry said not news you want to wake up to.
Never actually played with Duncan but we had a few chats on MSN while I was crook. We were both looking forward to playing at a later stage sometime this year.
Lost to as what to say now, RIP Duncan.

Trung
14th June 2006, 05:43 AM
I'm speechless, I just got the head up from Grant about Duncan.

For the last 2 years, I shared a room with Duncan at the champs (2004 & 2005).

We had a great time in 2004 so we decided that we would do the same in 2005.

I have many great memories of Duncan, the 2004 champs telephone incident was the best out of all. We were up all night, by 4am we decided since we got no sleep time, so shouldn't anyone else. To this day, I can still recall the 2 of us in that dark room with our ears wide open as phones rang over and over next door to us.

I played with Duncan both years and enjoyed every moment of it.

This is so sad, I never thought losing someone that I met on the internet can be this bad, now I know.

RIP
Duncan Bennett
1984-2006

Jono
14th June 2006, 06:09 AM
:shock: I'm speechless. Bit numb. I didn't get to play golf with Duncan but got to know him at the champs last year and the year before. Always smiling and having fun ... great guy. What a loss ... :cry:

AndyP
14th June 2006, 06:12 AM
Tragic, great guy from my own experiences..... Must have been just days before that game he didn't arrive to ???
It happened on the weekend before he was going to make the big effort to drive up to Brissy and play with us.

This is so sad, I never thought losing someone that I met on the internet can be this bad, now I know.
I know what you mean, Trungy. I've been floored by it.

goughy
14th June 2006, 06:32 AM
I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but it's a testament to him that so many of us have wondered and asked what had happened to him. I'm glad that you were able to get in touch with his mother Andy. It's the sadest outcome but we now know. It's sad news indeed. I will inform jaster as he was most surprised that dunken had not been around.

If you're wanting to do something with photo's Andy, I'm sure Robyn would put together an ozgolf photo montage or scrapbook of drunken with his mates and out on the course. If anyone has any photo's they are welcome to send them to us snail mail, or email, or supply web links to them. High quality would be best and we can arrange to have a large print made, and maybe even framed.

It's the least we could do to help.

Jarro
14th June 2006, 06:33 AM
well what do you say when you read something like this .....

.. i know we've all been concerned that our Ozgolf brother hasn't been online sharing his thoughts with us lately, but surely none of us would've expected such a bright, funny young man would've died so needlessly :(

My best wishes and prayers go out to his family. He will be a great loss.

RIP Duncan .... you'll always be in my thoughts.

clikchic
14th June 2006, 06:51 AM
Hi Guys

I never had the pleasure of meeting Duncan, but what devestating news.

My thoughts are with his family as they mourn his loss.

Big hugs guys, this is just so sad.

As goughy said, I would be happy to put together a photo montage for his family. Just send me the photos.

RIP Duncan

BrisWesty
14th June 2006, 06:56 AM
Awful news.
Likewise, I never had the pleasure of meeting Duncan, but sympathies go to his family.

Please everybody, be careful when you drive. It only takes a moments loss of concentration.

Jarro
14th June 2006, 07:04 AM
AndyP ... i know it sounds morbid, but can you give us a date when this tragedy happened?

We might like to make a calendar entry that's all.

markTHEblake
14th June 2006, 07:37 AM
buggar.....

My Missus always says theres no point saying nice things about people when something like this happened, I thought she was being rather ignorant but I tend to agree now. She reckons its far better to tell someone how great a bloke (or lady) they are before it's too late.

Fortunately our forum community is a great testimony to the friendships that will live on for ever. Give yourselves a huge virtual group hug all around

andylo
14th June 2006, 08:16 AM
That's sad news :cry: Never play with Duncan but had couple of short chat with him during 2004 champ. Feel so bad and wordless...

RIP..... Duncan.

Matt 3 Jab
14th June 2006, 08:22 AM
Never met him, but as a guy around the same age, it scares the living crap out of me that this can happen. It's really tragic news. My prayers are with the family.
RIP Duncan.

AndyP
14th June 2006, 08:44 AM
AndyP ... i know it sounds morbid, but can you give us a date when this tragedy happened?

We might like to make a calendar entry that's all.
Mrs Bennett told me that the accident occurred after his last day of work, before he was due to start his new job on the following Monday. If you look back at his posts in the Job Satisfaction thread on March 2, you'll see that he was due to start on Monday, March 6.
I had assumed that his tragic death occurred on Friday, March 3, and maybe his mum mentioned Friday, but I can't remember, but being a shift worker, it could have been the Saturday or Sunday too, I guess.

TS
14th June 2006, 09:12 AM
It is sad to hear such news. I had the pleasure playing with Duncan on the 2005 ozchamp, great guy to play with.

terryand
14th June 2006, 09:26 AM
Hi Guys

I never had the pleasure of meeting Duncan, but what devestating news.

My thoughts are with his family as they mourn his loss.

Big hugs guys, this is just so sad.

As goughy said, I would be happy to put together a photo montage for his family. Just send me the photos.

RIP Duncan

Robyn, you should find some pics of Duncan in the Lakelands and CTH files that you have.

Terry.

AndyP
14th June 2006, 09:40 AM
I've hunted down some more details of this terrible accident, as depressing as they are, via some online archived newspapers.

As I mentioned, the NSW North Coast was having severe storms at the time.

The weekend’s bad weather claimed the life of a 21 yearold Lennox Head man in a single motor vehicle crash at Broken Head on Saturday morning. About 3am, the man was driving his 2005 Mazda sedan south along Coast Road when he lost control of the vehicle which rolled a number of times and landed in a ditch.

The crash was not reported to police until 2:47pm as the vehicle could not be seen by passing motorists. Emergency Services attended the scene, however the driver was already dead.

http://www.echo.net.au/pg.php?issues_id=20_41&pg=04&view=gif

BrisVegas
14th June 2006, 09:41 AM
Duncan was a great guy. Can't believe he is gone. He was smart, funny, vibrant and had the world at his feet. It takes courage to make a charge in your life like Duncan was embarking on. I am grateful to have played a round or two with him and got the chance to know him. Duncan will be sadly missed.

Ona
14th June 2006, 10:22 AM
Bloody terrible news. Never met him, but it's plain to see from your posts that he was a top bloke. May all that knew him remember the good times, and the rest of us regret never meeting a fine young man. Thats too young to go.

Grunt
14th June 2006, 10:53 AM
I've hunted down some more details of this terrible accident, as depressing as they are, via some online archived newspapers.

As I mentioned, the NSW North Coast was having severe storms at the time.

http://www.echo.net.au/pg.php?issues_id=20_41&pg=04&view=gif

Seeing this Andy makes it even harder to take. To be found 12 hours after the accident is horrible, must have made it even harder for his parents.

burger
14th June 2006, 10:59 AM
I didn't know Drunken at all, however whenever anyone dies too young it is a great loss for all that might have been.

My brother died in a motor bike crash when he was 20 and I know the impact that had on our family.

My thoughts go out to his family, may they find the strength to cope with their loss.

stu.

Keza_G
14th June 2006, 11:45 AM
I was saving my 1000 post for something special... but I must say something about Duncan... I met Duncan at the 2005 Champs **** up and Dinner... He cracked me up and probably , like the rest of the boys, flogged me and Shazza at pool...

I bought him a 6pk on the way back... I told him that he owed me and he can make it up at the 2006 Champs...

Duncan... mate... I guess I'll have to get it from you at the big course in the sky one day....

A great bloke, a tragedy, a life so short full of promise... we will miss you Duncanbizkit.... You have made my life richer fo knowing you...

RIP Duncan Bennett

Cheers

Keza

Courty
14th June 2006, 02:34 PM
Like many of you, I never met Duncan, but chatted to him on MSN on the odd occasion. It's very sobering to hear someone so young is gone forever. Commiserations must go to Duncan's family.

RIP Duncan Bennett

I was going to suggest that the Ozgolf Champs trophy be named in his honour, but I see Trung has started a thread along similar lines.

Bruce
14th June 2006, 04:02 PM
In a way I wish he was just bored with us and didn't want to post anymore instead of this tragedy.

Add my name to the condolences as I will miss this guy too.

990B Luva
14th June 2006, 04:36 PM
I'm speechless...

RIP Duncan

PeteyD
14th June 2006, 04:42 PM
Very very sad :(

Fishman Dan
14th June 2006, 05:30 PM
I didn't get the chance to play with DB, but we threatened to play together time and time again during one of my visits to the Northern Rivers. We often MSN'd about how the work at Ballina GC was going.

I was MSN'ing with him about his new job etc. We often chatted IT stuff at work, and i have a sick feeling I was chatting to him on his final day of work at the resort, winding down etc. He was looking forward to a 'normal' job that he had secured that meant the end of shift work, more regular golf and rugby etc.

RIP Dunc.

Jarro
14th June 2006, 05:39 PM
Fishy, maybe we should meet up at Ballina G.C one day and have a round there in honour of our mate 8)

Fishman Dan
14th June 2006, 05:40 PM
Fishy, maybe we should meet up at Ballina G.C one day and have a round there in honour of our mate 8)

Can be done...

Jarro
14th June 2006, 06:06 PM
maybe an annual event at BGC in his honour ???

I'd be in it for sure.

Keza_G
14th June 2006, 06:10 PM
maybe an annual event at BGC in his honour ???

I'd be in it for sure.

The Duncan Bennett Cup ....

Sunday March 4th 2007 ???????

AndyP
14th June 2006, 06:13 PM
He was always threatening to have a round down there and was probably waiting for the course renos to finish.
I'd love to have a round down there.

Fishman Dan
14th June 2006, 06:33 PM
The Duncan Bennett Cup ....

Sunday March 4th 2007 ???????

Without wanting to stamp all over that thought KG, i think those dates are for the family.

However does anyone know the dates for Easter next year? Could be as early as that weekend, or up to 6 weeks later. We had a late one this year (early/mid-April), most likely a March date for 2007.

Jarro
14th June 2006, 06:34 PM
well sounds like we all agree it should go ahead.

What date ? Do we go with Keza's idea and have it on March 4, or wait until we can get a date that's more suitable for everyone else ??

AndyP
14th June 2006, 06:42 PM
I think a bit more thought needs to go into an annual event idea if we are to do that.
Thinking aloud, I'm not sure what we would achieve by playing each year at Ballina. And we don't want to be too impulsive with this.
Perhaps the event would need to benefit something, such as a charity. Maybe we could tee something up with the club, and they could actually have a full comp day there on the day that we decide. Just thoughts.....

Grunt
14th June 2006, 06:44 PM
While we are all here. Why don't we all get on here(in the chat room) at half time in the footy and have a drink for Duncan.

Jarro
14th June 2006, 06:48 PM
sounds like a good idea Grant.

I've had 6 beers already, you'll have to play catchup :mrgreen:

senecio
14th June 2006, 06:49 PM
However does anyone know the dates for Easter next year? Could be as early as that weekend, or up to 6 weeks later. We had a late one this year (early/mid-April), most likely a March date for 2007.

Easter 2007 is April 6-9.

Call it a job hazard, but I have every public holiday for the next 2 years in my head.

I had the honour to play with Duncan only once (2004 Champs). He had this incredible ability to keep a smile on his and his playing partners faces, while shooting an absolutely shocking round. He will certainly be missed.

I'd like to thank AndyP for looking into it and finding out what happened. It must have been very difficult talking to his mother. We all appreciate what you've done to bring us this tragic news.

Ryan

Grunt
14th June 2006, 06:49 PM
Challenge Accepted!!!
Carlbergs are my weapon of choice

Grunt
14th June 2006, 06:50 PM
I'd like to thank AndyP for looking into it and finding out what happened. It must have been very difficult talking to his mother. We all appreciate what you've done to bring us this tragic news.

Ryan

Here Here Ryan

terryand
14th June 2006, 06:52 PM

Ryan

Here here, thats a call I don't think I could've made, well done AP.

Terry.

Jarro
14th June 2006, 06:52 PM
Challenge Accepted!!!
Carlbergs are my weapon of choice

Pure Blondes at 20 paces :p

raidrboy
14th June 2006, 08:48 PM
I never met Duncan but it sounds like he was fun guy reading all the posts. A tragic loss of a young life.

RIP Duncan.

Kee
14th June 2006, 09:05 PM
My goodness. Just come across this thread and what tragic news.

I had the pleasure of playing and sharing a cart with Duncan during the 2nd 18 of the first OzGolf champs. He was a good guy, easy to play a round of golf with.

My prayers will go out to his family. Rest in peace Duncan.

Flowergirl
14th June 2006, 09:08 PM
Just so sad to lose a memeber of our Ozgolf family. He was such a lovely kid. My heart goes out to his family. Such sad sad news.

damoocow
14th June 2006, 09:52 PM
Have just read this and feel sick, deep down and gutted, Drunken was the 1st person I met at the 2004 champs, played at least 2 rds with him from what I recall, dinner and drinks and pool at Tweed Heads then the champs the next day , 2004 / 2005 - the late night mobile wake up call, the early morning search for a bakery for brekkie in the Eag's taxi at 4 am before the tee off at the 2004 champs.........sorry, but cannot apologise for the fact that if any of you on this forum believe in God, you are unable to apologise for the suffering your alleged God inflicts on us all,

damoocow

Jarro
14th June 2006, 09:54 PM
settle Damo, no religious debates in here OK :roll:

AndyP
15th June 2006, 07:31 AM
Yeah, it was a tough call. I feared the worst, but didn't want to put off making the call any longer. Unfortunately, my fears were realised.

I'm still can't comprehend the fact that we won't see him or get to play golf with him again.
Have a look back through some of his posts, think back to the time you might have spent with him, and have a laugh and cry. I did.

Jarro
15th June 2006, 07:57 AM
sad thought is that we posted with him on his last day at work (i think that was his last day there anyway) March 2nd

you just never know what's gonna happen i suppose.

Flowergirl
15th June 2006, 08:54 AM
Andy has asked me to send flowers to Duncan's family on our behalf. I just spoke to a lovely florist in Ballina who got to know his family quite well over the days and weeks after the accident. She is sending flowers today - and I was very happy with the flowers she suggested. The card message sent was as follows.

To the Bennett Family
We are all so saddened to hear about the tragic loss of Duncan. So many of us had the pleasure to get to know him first via the internet on the Ozgolf website and then in person at our golf days. He was vibrant, funny and bright and a very popular member of our group. Duncan will be sadly missed by us all.
Our heartfelt sympathy and condolences are with you.

OzGolf net. members.

Still so hard to believe isn't it?:cry:

AndyP
15th June 2006, 08:58 AM
Thank you very much, FG.
That's perfect.

TS
15th June 2006, 09:08 AM
FG. Thanks.

Virgal_Tracy
15th June 2006, 09:29 AM
Took a while to catch on as to who Duncan Bennett was as not having had the pleasure of playing with him. I'm sure both Duncan and "drunken" will be sorely missed by those that knew him both here and in his regular life.

Vail Duncan Bennett

gazgolf1
15th June 2006, 09:54 AM
Andy has asked me to send flowers to Duncan's family on our behalf. I just spoke to a lovely florist in Ballina who got to know his family quite well over the days and weeks after the accident. She is sending flowers today - and I was very happy with the flowers she suggested. The card message sent was as follows.

To the Bennett Family
We are all so saddened to hear about the tragic loss of Duncan. So many of us had the pleasure to get to know him first via the internet on the Ozgolf website and then in person at our golf days. He was vibrant, funny and bright and a very popular member of our group. Duncan will be sadly missed by us all.
Our heartfelt sympathy and condolences are with you.

OzGolf net. members.

Still so hard to believe isn't it?:cry:

Thanks F.G.

Jarro
15th June 2006, 10:28 AM
nice work Reenie ... you're a champion :mrgreen:

macleod
15th June 2006, 10:43 AM
ah cripes, i only just read this at work, can't believe it.

i miss the big feller heaps already in my memory, played with him a bunch and got on like a house of fire :( always remember having a great time and discussing werid crap and joking around...but i wish i could crystallise my memories better....bugger...

*after some more thinking for the last hour...*
we spotted scotty gardiner at the practise session at Chinderah before the champs,
we scored those leftover free pies and sausage rolls from the guy there, i gave up the better pie for him in exchange for the sausage rolls....played the second leg of 2004 champs with him
god i wish i'd been playing more golf for the last 6 months now...

i will go through my pics as well tonight. i was going to bug him to camp on his lawn too shortly....

thanks andyp and FG for arranging the flowers....

AndyP
15th June 2006, 11:30 AM
i will go through my pics as well tonight.
Macca, you posted some photos (incl drunken) after the 2004 champs here, but they are no longer there.
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=981

g69, you took some photos of each group on the River course of CTH last year. Most of the photos are still, there but a couple of them have disappeared, including any of drunken, if you took any. Can you please try to track them down.
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3440

macleod
15th June 2006, 11:45 AM
ah yes, thanks for that, they were on my former ISP but luckily i zipped all that plus the originals thank goodenss, grazie.

CobraSS
15th June 2006, 03:02 PM
Many of us have been wondering why Drunken (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/member.php?u=23) hasn't been on the forums. And I for one have been concerned, as I had tried to contact him otherwise over the last couple of months.

I have spoken with his mother today, and I'm sorry to tell you all that Duncan died in a car accident in the wet, earlier this year . Mrs Bennett told me it was at the time that they were having flood rains on the NSW North Coast. Looking back through the forum, I believe the date was Friday, March 3.

This is a tragedy, as Duncan was only 21 and had just made a change in his life. Duncan was on his way home from his last day of his hotel/resort shift work at Byron Bay, and was due to start a new job with the public service on the following Monday and begin studying again.

I'm very upset and in shock from this news, as he was a great guy that I got along with very well. I'm sure those of you who met him would agree.
I was lucky enough to play with him for his first OZgolf round at Glades and played with him several times after, including last year's Champs. We played some horrible golf together, but we always had great fun.

I have passed on my sympathies on behalf of the forum to Mrs Bennett. I have her details, and promised her that I would gather together what photos I could find of Duncan and forward them on to her. I'm sure we could send her more than that.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of such terrible terrible news.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6757/duncan6yy.jpg
RIP
Duncan Bennett
1984-2006
(http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/member.php?u=23)

Sad news indeed, :( my sympathies to his family and friends.......

Iain
16th June 2006, 01:17 PM
Shows what you miss when you don't pay attention for a few days..... :cry: :cry: :shock:

I played quite a few times with Duncan, including our 05 matchplay down at Coolangatta Tweed, he was a great guy to play with and being a similar age we always got on really well.

He will be sadly missed, here and at ozgolf days..... :smt087 :smt087

RIP Duncan Bennett....

shavey
19th June 2006, 08:57 PM
:(

I'm lost for words...

Thanks for your help on our 'special' project, you know what I mean ;)

You will be missed...

Love from your golfing family...

R.I.P

McMw
19th June 2006, 10:34 PM
just saw this thread... :(
even tho I've never met the guy - sad to hear what's happened!!!
just terrible...

Ducky
22nd June 2006, 04:12 PM
This is so surreal and at age 21, this world can be so cruel.

It can serve as a lesson to all of us not to take life for granted.

RIP Duncan.

Jarro
22nd June 2006, 07:48 PM
.. any word on how the photo collection is going for Drunken's parents ??

AndyP
23rd June 2006, 04:56 AM
Here's the photos that I've been able to find, plus clikchic has some from last years Champs from Terry.
http://ozgolf.net/gallery/v/OzgolfPhotos/Duncan/

If anyone can add to this then forward them on.

Jarro
23rd June 2006, 05:02 AM
good idea AndyP ... will be easier to find the photos if they're all in the one place 8)

AndyP
6th July 2006, 03:28 PM
If you're wanting to do something with photo's Andy, I'm sure Robyn would put together an ozgolf photo montage or scrapbook of drunken with his mates and out on the course. If anyone has any photo's they are welcome to send them to us snail mail, or email, or supply web links to them. High quality would be best and we can arrange to have a large print made, and maybe even framed.

It's the least we could do to help.
goughy, have you got the photos and other material that you require to get this happening?

clikchic
6th July 2006, 04:45 PM
Andy

We have the photos, tho could use some more personal messages, I only have a handful of them here.

I am just waiting for goughy to tell me which photos to include at the moment as I don't know enough faces to do that myself. He has been working really long hours at the moment but I will see if I can tie him down tonight or at latest on the weekend to choose some photos...

We thought we might do a photo book like the ones they have at www.myreflections.com.au I have had a book printed through them and they are really good. (if you ever want books printed through them use the codename clikchic and you will get a discount. ;-) )

I can do up some scrapbook pages with some quotes and personal messages and have them printed into a photo book.

AndyP
6th July 2006, 06:23 PM
Are any of the personal messages in this thread appropriate to use? These are the feeling of the members after just finding out.

goughy
6th July 2006, 07:53 PM
Has been suggested to me that that would be a good idea andy, and we'll look at it. Mostly when I get home from work lately I just wanna collapse. But I will get it sorted soon.

AndyP
6th July 2006, 07:57 PM
No problems, goughy. I just didn't want this to be something that falls off the radar.

gazgolf1
30th July 2006, 05:22 PM
I still cannot frickin believe this.:(

AndyP
30th July 2006, 05:56 PM
I must say that it still comes into my mind. Especially when thinking of previous golf rounds or seeing a Mazda 3.

A timely bump for the photos that I want to send to the family too, Gaz.

Iain
28th October 2006, 07:04 AM
This weekend's for you Duncan.

:smt045 :smt045

Golf_Novice
1st November 2006, 01:16 PM
I just wanted to put a brief message on here... I never knew Duncan. But Iain and I sat down on Friday night and read through this Thread again. He was telling me all about Duncan and from what I read about him from you guys - he was someone I would of gotten along with.

If you need any help putting together something for his family (if this hasn't already be done) I would be more than happy to lend a hand. I know from experience that families really appreciate to see how a loved one touches other peoples lives...

dc68
1st November 2006, 01:40 PM
Gee I had never read this thread in full before, having now done so and finding out how everyone felt about this young man I am truly honored to win the inaugural Duncan Bennett Cup.

Jarro
1st November 2006, 01:44 PM
His huge beaming smile was certainly missed this year :(

Golf_Novice
1st November 2006, 01:44 PM
I was quite overwhelmed by the Thread as well and was so proud to read such great comments by "macho men" I read the threads every day and most of them talk some utter crap. But it made me feel proud to be a member of such a supporting group...

And it would make you very proud to have won the cup. Congrats :D

AndyP
1st November 2006, 03:35 PM
I must admit that I was a little teary when we had the tribute on Sunday. He would have made the effort to make the trip up for sure.

Unfortunately it has been slow moving on getting stuff done. Just last week I managed to get some more photos of him off Terry from last years Champs. So now I'm going to forward them on to his family.
I think I'll go back through this thread and cut and paste some comments too.

Grunt
1st November 2006, 05:21 PM
I admit I got a little teary too. I had a beer at Ballina GC on Monday last week too, that was tough.
Weird how close I got to him, seeing how I never met him in the flesh.

AndyP
4th March 2007, 10:27 PM
My thoughts have been with Duncan's family today, and I miss my lefty mate around here.
It's one year since he passed away. :(

goughy
4th March 2007, 10:57 PM
Man!!

Courty
4th March 2007, 11:00 PM
:cry:

Jarro
5th March 2007, 05:23 AM
Should we make a calendar entry for both Duncan and Leon ?

goughy
5th March 2007, 06:07 AM
While visiting Jacob yesterday we went and visited Leon for the first time. When I saw Andy's post I thought our timing funny.

Eag's
5th March 2007, 06:46 AM
Hard to believe it's been a year :(

Keza_G
5th March 2007, 11:35 AM
1 year on and we still miss him....:-(

Jarro
12th July 2007, 07:16 PM
**bump**

morgy
18th May 2009, 01:42 AM
I often look over this forum for advice and reviews etc; however, I had never gotten around to joining because I wasn't sure I had much to contribute. Today I got the shock of my life when I saw Duncan's face on the tribute banner. Dunc is a mate of mine from High School and I had known him for a long time before he passed. Our Mother's have worked together for many years now and are also great friends so Dunc's passing had a huge effect on my family and I.

As well as going to school with Dunc for a number of years, I was also fortunate enough to have the opportunity to drink with him every other Friday, and whilst we weren't the closest of mates, he was the kind of guy that everyone got a long with so we always had a beer whenever we could.

I knew he played some golf but I didn't know how much until now. I only took the game up earlier this year and I am hooked, but I am saddened that I have missed the opportunity to have a hit with him, and also play in the memorial events that you have so kindly organised. I know that a lot of our other mates from school would also love to get involved so it would be great if you could let me know of next event you plan to organise and I will put the word out around Ballina and Lennox Head.

Dunc's family and friends would be stoked to know how much everyone on here cares for him and it is great that his passion for golf lives on. Needless to say that he was a top bloke and is sadly missed!

Jarro
18th May 2009, 07:02 AM
Nice post morgy :)

Duncan was a great young bloke who we all loved, he will indeed be missed greatly.

AndyP
18th May 2009, 07:06 AM
Welcome to the forum, morgy. Our annual championships are played for the Duncan Bennett Memorial Cup, and this year we are holding it at Pelican Waters on the Sunshine Coast on the weekend of Nov 14-15.

We never did get down for that hit at Ballina though....

Jarro
18th May 2009, 07:17 AM
Welcome to the forum, morgy. Our annual championships are played for the Duncan Bennett Memorial Cup, and this year we are holding it at Pelican Waters on the Sunshine Coast on the weekend of Nov 14-15.

We never did get down for that hit at Ballina though....

No we didn't.

maybe we should look at making that a regular trip away ? Or at least get down there for one round sometime in the near future.

Eag's
18th May 2009, 07:22 AM
Duncan was a top bloke and I enjoyed his company, he is sadly missed.
I would be keen for a trip to Ballina as would quite a few others on here.

morgy
18th May 2009, 07:56 AM
Sounds good Andy, you can count me in for November. I'll let a few of my mates know about it too. Ballina is a good course, you should make the trip down/up sometime!

andylo
18th May 2009, 07:56 AM
Wouldn't mind go to Ballina neither. Just will make it more special.

Fishman Dan
18th May 2009, 11:53 AM
No we didn't.

maybe we should look at making that a regular trip away ? Or at least get down there for one round sometime in the near future.

I've tried on the few occasions I've been around Ballina, but it's a hefty day-trip for those in Brisbane.

Ballina is a great family-friendly town with tons of beaches and plenty to do, so those who want to make a weekend of the trip can bring the family, and the airport makes it accessible to us in Sydney (Virgin/Jetshit/Rex).

Eag's
18th May 2009, 01:25 PM
Yep it sounds like a weekend may be more suitable rather than trying to jam everything in on one day. I would say we could get good numbers to this if it was over a weekend??

poidda
18th May 2009, 01:41 PM
I'm always up for a road trip. Weren't we looking for an August Major?

Ned
5th September 2009, 08:10 PM
Been reading through the history of OZgolf and came across a couple of links relating to Drunken.

Also have been working through the posts about Leon.

Duncan by the looks of it was a keen Rugby player and he was acknowledged posthumously by the Rugby powers to be.

http://www.casinojuniorbulls.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/Board_Minutes_March__06.doc

He was also recognised for his work in the Tourism and Hospitality Industry

http://www.thebyronatbyron.com.au/byron-bay/resort/cultural-activites/

"The Resort has developed a positive relationship with the Southern Cross University School of Tourism and each year employs several university students for their internships. This provides these students with hands on training and experience in hotel management. The Byron at Byron also sponsors the ‘Duncan Bennett Tourism Scholarship’ at Southern Cross University each year, named after a former employee who tragically lost his life"

Apologies if posting this is not seen for anything but in good spirit fore given the above links and especially the Uni Scholarship named after him I think is a compliment to what was posted about him on OZgolf! (And a testament to the person himself)

Grunt
5th September 2009, 08:52 PM
Good to see him remembered with something that is respected and rewarding to those that get it.

RIP Duncan

Jarro
5th September 2009, 11:34 PM
He was a truly great young fella.

I'm still keen to get down to Ballina for a hit one day too, Duncan really loved that course so it'd be great to experience it for myself.

Eag's
6th September 2009, 05:02 AM
Great to see they have set up a scholarship in honor of Duncan.
He was a top young bloke who loved his golf. I think we are overdue to get this Ballina game organised.

Grunt
6th September 2009, 06:03 AM
I am going to try and have a hit there on my way up to the Champs this year.