PDA

View Full Version : Seeking: Second hand tennis racquet?

LeftyHoges
24th January 2017, 09:50 PM
Not sure of the best place to post this, so here will do...

My racquet copped the same treatment as my golf clubs this evening and has now seen better days. Just wondering before I go trawling the Bay and Gumtree if anyone has a decent second hand racquet lying about they're no longer using and looking to offload?

Let me know....

Ruv,
Refty.

AndyP
24th January 2017, 09:52 PM
I'm in the market for one too, since mine is over 10 years old. Ive got no idea what sort of racquet to start looking at though.

Matt 3 Jab
24th January 2017, 09:57 PM
I have a few. I'll have a dig tomorrow.

I also have some pro stocks (tour issue of tennis) that I'm selling, but they are more $150 each.

I'll dig tomorrow and see what I have [emoji1303]

LeftyHoges
24th January 2017, 10:10 PM
I have a few. I'll have a dig tomorrow.

I also have some pro stocks (tour issue of tennis) that I'm selling, but they are more $150 each.

I'll dig tomorrow and see what I have [emoji1303]
Thanks Matty, you're a champ. And don't bother with the Pro stocks. Way too much for me to handle, which would only lead to me breaking them too!!! :-D

thecollective
24th January 2017, 10:27 PM
I have the following available:

- Head Liquid Metal Prestige Mid Plus (98sq / 18:20)
- Head Microgel Rad Pro (100sq / 16:19)
- Head Microgel Prestige Pro - top condition only used a few times (98sq / 16:19)

All are really players racquets so very low power but lots of control and pop through the middle

Let me know if any of the above interests you; happy to part with any for a modest amount

LeftyHoges
24th January 2017, 10:37 PM
I have the following available:

- Head Liquid Metal Prestige Mid Plus (98sq / 18:20)
- Head Microgel Rad Pro (100sq / 16:19)
- Head Microgel Prestige Pro - top condition only used a few times (98sq / 16:19)

All are really players racquets so very low power but lots of control and pop through the middle

Let me know if any of the above interests you; happy to part with any for a modest amount
Actually know very little about racquets and what would be best for me!

I smash the living shit out of the first serve, then cut-slice the living shit out of everything else when attacking. Really just poke stuff back into play otherwise, can't hit a topspin shot to save my life. Very active at the net. Probably means I should be just using something a bit more intermediate???

graham_w
24th January 2017, 11:04 PM
Calling ferrins ....

Shreko
24th January 2017, 11:08 PM
+1

thecollective
24th January 2017, 11:16 PM
Lefty: prob best to get a racquet with a thicker frame. I'm sure Ferrins will find something for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeftyHoges
25th January 2017, 12:09 AM
Lefty: prob best to get a racquet with a thicker frame. I'm sure Ferrins will find something for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, that sounds good. Do prefer a thicker frame and heavier racquet as a general rule.

thecollective
25th January 2017, 08:38 AM
Thanks mate, that sounds good. Do prefer a thicker frame and heavier racquet as a general rule.

The thicker the frame the more stable and forgiving it will be - you will probably be in the tweener racquet category (intermediate).

Babolat make really good tweener racquets

LeftyHoges
25th January 2017, 08:46 AM
The thicker the frame the more stable and forgiving it will be - you will probably be in the tweener racquet category (intermediate).

Babolat make really good tweener racquets
Awesome TC, thanks for the advice bud!

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 10:19 AM
My son has changed to Yonex so his Wilsons are up for grabs

LeftyHoges
25th January 2017, 10:24 AM
Nice. Was using the Wilson Hyper Hammer 6.3.

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 10:26 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/B98G16/B98G16Review.html

LeftyHoges
25th January 2017, 10:29 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/B98G16/B98G16Review.html
Ooh, that looks damn nice, and seems it would suit perfectly.

How much Mr Ferrins, sir?

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 10:29 AM
Lefty the Blade a different kettle of fish. My mate has some rippa chunky racquets if you want to stay with that style.

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 10:32 AM
Ooh, that looks damn nice, and seems it would suit perfectly.

How much Mr Ferrins, sir?

Just got to check with Tom

AndyP
25th January 2017, 10:34 AM
I'm interested, Ferrins, after Lefty finds a racquet, since he started the thread. My Dunlop Superlong would be very old technology, and my more recent racquet (still 10 years old) was a Wilson NCode N3, but it is broken.

I have no idea what would be good for my game (or the strings that I should get). I would be at the level of an ITN 6/7 at the moment, and may have got to ITN 5 when I has playing a bit; hopefully I can get my level up to that again. I do play with top-spin on both sides, but not huge amounts, like some guys I have seen.

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 10:35 AM
$100 new over grip and fancy restring

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 10:39 AM
Andy the modern string generates heeps of spin. Got 2 sticks at that price

LeftyHoges
25th January 2017, 10:41 AM
Lefty the Blade a different kettle of fish. My mate has some rippa chunky racquets if you want to stay with that style.
At the end of the day, just need something that's stable, heavier swing weight, and relatively easy to spin. Can generate enough of my own power for the fast first serve.

Just got to check with Tom
Cool.

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 10:46 AM
Will serve the purpose. $100 and maybe someone can take it with them to the Vic Champs

LeftyHoges
25th January 2017, 10:52 AM
Will serve the purpose. $100 and maybe someone can take it with them to the Vic Champs
Done and sold. Shoot us through some payment details mate. I'm actually happy to pay express postage if that can be done, cos I have to play 2 more games before champs, and if I have to do that with my shitty Slazenger backup racquet I'll shoot myself.

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 11:11 AM
Ok

AndyP
25th January 2017, 11:39 AM
$100 new over grip and fancy restring

Andy the modern string generates heeps of spin. Got 2 sticks at that price
I'll take the second one please. I could spend too long analysing a purchase like this, so this is much easier. I'm happy to pick up from you somewhere and pay cash, if you prefer.

thecollective
25th January 2017, 12:37 PM
Lefty: That Wilson will be fine; the 16:19 pattern will give you more spin and a little more give on the off centred hits. I would assume/expect Ferrins will string it up with a poly such a Luxilon or similar grade that will give you super jizz on spinny shots.

Enjoy

LeftyHoges
25th January 2017, 12:53 PM
Awesome, thanks TC! Looking forward to my next game now. I'll be jizzing everywhere!!!

AndyP
25th January 2017, 01:44 PM
I know as much about tennis gear, as I do about golf gear, and I've played a lot of both.

wazamac
25th January 2017, 01:54 PM
Awesome, thanks TC! Looking forward to my next game now. I'll be jizzing everywhere!!!

Don't slip! :D

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 02:08 PM
Dunlop Black Widow 16g mains & 17g in the cross.

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 02:14 PM
I think luxilon is a bit hard on the arm for social players

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 03:44 PM

Ok going to send you one that is strung with Luxilon Alu power 1.25mm @ 52lbs as it is already strung and had little use.

AndyP
25th January 2017, 03:49 PM
Lefty, do you play in fixtures or just socially?

LeftyHoges
25th January 2017, 03:54 PM
Ok going to send you one that is strung with Luxilon Alu power 1.25mm @ 52lbs as it is already strung and had little use.
Cool. Greatly appreciated.

Lefty, do you play in fixtures or just socially?
Tuesday night twilight tennis A reserve grade, November to March. 3 sets of doubles.

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 04:00 PM
This is ready to go mate is Lefty Melbourne sufficent or can you send me an address.

AndyP
25th January 2017, 04:05 PM
Tuesday night twilight tennis A reserve grade, November to March. 3 sets of doubles.You must be half decent then. I have played doubles only format in the past, but I'd like to play fixtures with singles as well, this year. For now, I've just started back with club organised social tennis, which is only doubles.

How long have you been playing? I don't recall reading that you played tennis. Why did you smash your poor racquet? I've only ever smashed one racquet. That was when we had a points score disagreement with the opposition, which we eventually conceded. We ended up losing the game, and I lost my shit as a result, throwing across the court into the fence.

LeftyHoges
25th January 2017, 04:08 PM
This is ready to go mate is Lefty Melbourne sufficent or can you send me an address.
PM sent mate, cheers.

LeftyHoges
25th January 2017, 04:16 PM
You must be half decent then. I have played doubles only format in the past, but I'd like to play fixtures with singles as well, this year. For now, I've just started back with club organised social tennis, which is only doubles.

How long have you been playing? I don't recall reading that you played tennis. Why did you smash your poor racquet? I've only ever smashed one racquet. That was when we had a points score disagreement with the opposition, which we eventually conceded. We ended up losing the game, and I lost my shit as a result, throwing across the court into the fence.
I can kinda hold my own, Nothing special, but on my day I'm dangerous. ;-)

Played a bit as a junior but gave it up for cricket / golf / tiddlywinks etc. Been back it for about 4 or 5 years now I guess.

This breakage was just pure frustration. Just played like an absolute dog and missed a simple overhead smash to lose the game when we should've won it to go a break clear.

I'd love to play singles too, but no-one around here does it. Even the full Saturday competition is doubles only.

AndyP
25th January 2017, 04:19 PM
I'd love to play singles too, but no-one around here does it. Even the full Saturday competition is doubles only.I can understand that in a smaller city. At my club (University of Queensland), I have the option of either playing internal fixtures, where all matches are played at the club courts, or external, where we have home and away all across Brisbane. There seems to be regular club tournaments too for both doubles or singles, which is great.

LeftyHoges
25th January 2017, 04:29 PM
I can understand that in a smaller city. At my club (University of Queensland), I have the option of either playing internal fixtures, where all matches are played at the club courts, or external, where we have home and away all across Brisbane. There seems to be regular club tournaments too for both doubles or singles, which is great.
Would be really nice to have those sort of options. All hard courts, or any lawn in there?

AndyP
25th January 2017, 04:31 PM
Synthetic grass courts are fairly common, especially when fixtures takes you to private courts. When I was a junior I played on clay, or at least, the local version of it. I can't recall ever playing on real grass.

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 05:23 PM
ok after deliberation lefty's racquet will be a brand spanker noice limited edition Head Radical.

graham_w
25th January 2017, 05:33 PM
ok after deliberation lefty's racquet will be a brand spanker noice limited edition Head Radical. I don't even play tennis and want to own one of those.

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 06:07 PM
I'll take the second one please. I could spend too long analysing a purchase like this, so this is much easier. I'm happy to pick up from you somewhere and pay cash, if you prefer.

Go the Stosur racquet previous model Babolat Pure Strike. Got one new for $100

Courty
25th January 2017, 06:31 PM
I've only ever smashed one racquet. That was when we had a points score disagreement with the opposition, which we eventually conceded. We ended up losing the game, and I lost my shit as a result, throwing across the court into the fence.

Disgraceful behaviour.

thecollective
25th January 2017, 10:12 PM
I can kinda hold my own, Nothing special, but on my day I'm dangerous. ;-)

Played a bit as a junior but gave it up for cricket / golf / tiddlywinks etc. Been back it for about 4 or 5 years now I guess.

This breakage was just pure frustration. Just played like an absolute dog and missed a simple overhead smash to lose the game when we should've won it to go a break clear.

I'd love to play singles too, but no-one around here does it. Even the full Saturday competition is doubles only.

I wrote off my liquid metal radical that I loved doing the same thing - was trying to play the same way I used to as a teenager and it wasn't coming off. Biggest mistake I ever made; they have never made the radical as good as the LM version IMO

Hope Ferrins last minute racquet change works in your favour; 18:20 string patterns take a while to get used to but you get amazing control

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 10:40 PM
It's 16 x 19

Ferrins
25th January 2017, 10:43 PM

thecollective
25th January 2017, 10:59 PM
touche Ferrins

AndyP
26th January 2017, 12:57 AM
Go the Stosur racquet previous model Babolat Pure Strike. Got one new for $100If you think that is better for me, then I'm happy to grab that one. Mentioning Stosur isn't a great selling point though... Thanks, Ferrins.

Ferrins
26th January 2017, 06:33 AM
The Wilsons were just too beat up.

chappy1970
26th January 2017, 08:10 AM
Just an endorsement for Ferrins. He organised a Wilson BLX racquet for me for last seasons tennis.

It's the business and has taken my tennis to a level that is a little less as crap 👍

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Ferrins
27th January 2017, 07:09 AM
I'm interested, Ferrins, after Lefty finds a racquet, since he started the thread. My Dunlop Superlong would be very old technology, and my more recent racquet (still 10 years old) was a Wilson NCode N3, but it is broken.

I have no idea what would be good for my game (or the strings that I should get). I would be at the level of an ITN 6/7 at the moment, and may have got to ITN 5 when I has playing a bit; hopefully I can get my level up to that again. I do play with top-spin on both sides, but not huge amounts, like some guys I have seen.

I think Volkl make some rippa power stick racquets Andy. I will look into getting you something maybe in this category.

AndyP
27th January 2017, 09:46 AM
I think Volkl make some rippa power stick racquets Andy. I will look into getting you something maybe in this category.Okay. Thanks for looking into it. I'll trust your judgement.

goughy
27th January 2017, 01:03 PM
Jeeze, a trusting soul! What the hell would ferrins know about tennis ;) ;)

AndyP
27th January 2017, 01:46 PM
Jeeze, a trusting soul! What the hell would ferrins know about tennis ;) ;)
Possibly a little more than me.

goughy
27th January 2017, 01:52 PM
Yes, I know. Hence my sarcasm.

AndyP
27th January 2017, 02:51 PM
Yes, I know. Hence my sarcasm.
I know.

goughy
27th January 2017, 02:56 PM
I know you knew

AndyP