PDA

View Full Version : Mizuno JPX 900 driver

JoeS
15th January 2017, 08:58 PM
After some feedback on the driver,I have hit it down at the driving range with a number of shafts and settings,and feel comfortable with the 661 shaft.Just wondering what otherrs might think about it.

My thoughts;A lovely looking club,but without some ball data and only hitting range balls it is hard to get a read on it.On the range I get similar distance to that of my JPX 800,although dispersion is better with the 900.I am not a long hitter of the ball,so finding fairways is my go.

jimandr
16th January 2017, 10:05 PM
Joe may get some responses if this thread goes in the Equipment sub forum. So I have moved it. But as a general rule we aren't big followers of Mizuno drivers here.

thecollective
16th January 2017, 10:09 PM
we aren't big followers of Mizuno drivers here.

I am! although no need for me to upgrade from my 850 at the moment

JoeS
16th January 2017, 11:31 PM
Joe may get some responses if this thread goes in the Equipment sub forum. So I have moved it. But as a general rule we aren't big followers of Mizuno drivers here.

thanks mate,but I am curious to know why Mizuno drivers don't have much of a following

Jazz18
17th January 2017, 01:18 AM
thanks mate,but I am curious to know why Mizuno drivers don't have much of a following

Generally speaking for most people (not all) they don't perform as well as other brands. Tend to be expensive as well which isn't a good combination. Irons and wedges on the other hand are a completely different story. Some of the best around in that category.

WBennett
17th January 2017, 07:43 AM

Joe

I loved my MP630 Fasttrack. It only disappeared after I bought a G30 and upgraded shaft.

I also use H4 irons and T4 wedges, so I was a bit of a fanboi!

benno_r
17th January 2017, 09:02 AM
I had a JPX850 for a while. Hit some of my longest drives ever - only recently been surpassed in the distance stakes by a Bio Cell +. It wasn't really a choppers driver though (what I need). The choppers drivers (JPX EZ etc) haven't been that good compared the mainstream offerings.

The flushers drivers (JPX850 / JPX900) are up there with anything though.

Daves
17th January 2017, 09:25 AM
I had a JPX850 for a while. Hit some of my longest drives ever - only recently been surpassed in the distance stakes by a Bio Cell +. It wasn't really a choppers driver though (what I need). The choppers drivers (JPX EZ etc) haven't been that good compared the mainstream offerings.

The flushers drivers (JPX850 / JPX900) are up there with anything though.

Yep. The 850 is very low spin, the 900 is supposedly even more so. They are very long, but 1) you need swing speed to benefit most from the low spin design and 2) they are not greatly forgiving, though not the worst. They have tendency to run out into trouble for moi. I also have an EX, which is very friendly, but its only real resemblance to the JPX is the corporate look. It does find plenty of fairways though. It due for a bag rotation shortly.

thecollective
17th January 2017, 02:35 PM
Yep. The 850 is very low spin, the 900 is supposedly even more so. They are very long, but 1) you need swing speed to benefit most from the low spin design and 2) they are not greatly forgiving, though not the worst. They have tendency to run out into trouble for moi. I also have an EX, which is very friendly, but its only real resemblance to the JPX is the corporate look. It does find plenty of fairways though. It due for a bag rotation shortly.

The JPX 850 is more of a control based driver - if you tell it to fade and draw it performs more so than other drivers. My misses with the JPX are well pronounced and hence I agree it is not as forgiving as my predecessor Callaway drivers. On the other hand if the stars align and I middle one it is longer than any other driver I have ever hit.

I have actually added two extra weights set right back in order to increase the MOI (4 in total), has made a huge difference in my strike and I am finding it easier to connect with the middle of the club. The JPX 850 is not for everyone and hence why they went with the more forgiving EZ model later on. The JPX 900 is a 'one step back five steps forward' in my opinion, although with 2 x 850's in my spare room I have no real reason to update

davidw88
17th January 2017, 06:20 PM
Jpx 900 gets good reviews on the internet, am keen to get one and try it.

ruley
17th January 2017, 06:30 PM
I jumped from the 850 to the 900 when they came out, mainly because of how much more even they are across the face....and I got offered an awesome price! As others have said the 850 is a low spinning not so forgiving driver and sneaky long when hit well. The 900 is actually much more forgiving I found and higher spinning if configured the same. For reference I had the 850 set at 10.5U & weights middle back and draw, the 900 I have set for the most part 9.5 & weights middle fwd and draw. Short story is front to back dispersion is awesome with this driver.....for me.

Stock shaft offering is good however I've recently thrown in a AD-BB to keep launch and dispersion right in check for me.....and I like to tinker!

I like it and am happy with making the switch.

JoeS
20th January 2017, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the replies.Still haven't decided whether I take the plunge on the jpx900 driver or keep looking.I can get the mizuno at a very good price though,so I am tempted

dowdsy
20th January 2017, 09:35 AM
We recently had a mizuno test day at our club and one of my mates who hits his sldr a mile (my old driver grrr that I sold him for 150 bucks) had a fitting with the 900 and he could not get anywhere near his sldr numbers. They are a very nice looking club though.

JoeS
22nd January 2017, 09:57 PM
So I had a go at an AeroBurner today.Can't remember the shaft that was in it,but it doesn't matter.I am finding it very hard to find a driver that I can hit consistently well.I had a round this arvo and on a few holes I drove my jpx 800 well and long( well long for me anyway),but then on a few holes it was a poor mishit that was lucky to go 180m,and not straight.

Coldtopper
22nd January 2017, 10:15 PM
Gaming the 900 with the 661 x and it works. It's very forgiving and lots of screws to adjust it performed better than the TM and Cally Titty. The X16 came close but the numbers didn't stack up. I like the jap shape and 450cc doesn't resemble the fatty stuffing krispy's at the food hall. The shafts are quality and stable, the price was a little high but then again why the f not !

Archi
6th March 2018, 07:31 PM
Picked up a second hander Friday night , 37 points on the Saturday
Normal 2 or 3 ordinary drives but generally pretty good and a couple of big bombs to finish
Looking fwd to its next outing

I haven’t even worked out what it is set to yet , other than 10.5
Just bashed it to make sure I liked the look & feel