PDA

View Full Version : If someone finds my game could they return it to me pls!!

goughy
10th June 2006, 06:21 PM
Somewhere in the last few years of slack golfing turnouts I have missplaced my golf game. If someone sees it lying by the side of the road somewhere could they return it to me. I may have left it lying next to the 18th green once (did that with a wedge many moons ago) and someone from the group behind grabbed it. As usual it wasn't handed into the proshop.

Seriously, over the last 2 years elements of my game has started to slide. Considering my lack of golf this is pretty much to be expected. My driving has never been great. My chipping patchy at best and I'd go through periods of great putting and horrible putting. But I could always rely on my iron play. Well, last week I can to the realisation that that too has deserted me in a big way.

For 3 or 4 years now I have been tinkering with my swing, usually in a big way. While it is much better now it has no consistancy. Obviously due to the fact it dosen't get used much.

Most noticeably it shows in my driving. I don't have a stock miss anymore. It always used to be to the right. But now I hit big slices, blocks, fades, draws, hooks, duck hooks, pull hooks, pull to the lefts. It's like a buffet of choices.

I feel my never ending quest for distance may have something to do with it. I was long enough already, but why go longer and lose all sense of consistancy?

I think my next game (hopefully tomorrow but I won't hold my breath) I will concentrate on my rythm more, and not try to belt every club from the top (as I am prone to do). I think I hit the ball just as far from a smoother swing rather than the aggressive swing that has become my norm. We'll see what happens.

I still enjoy myself, and while last week was probably the worst game I have played in many years I think my playing partners were stunned that I was laughing at my shots and calling to the heavens for an even break.

I have also done the unthinkable for me and have ordered a golf instruction book - 'practical golf' by john jacobs. I read an interview with him in a golf digest some months ago and just loved what he had to say and how he felt things worked. Seemed much more simple than what I've been doing. A lot of it has to do with identifying faults by ball flight rather than looking at your swing.

Anyway, that's my gripe session for today.

Jarro
10th June 2006, 06:23 PM
welcome to my world Goughy :roll:

and i play regularly :(

goughy
10th June 2006, 06:30 PM
When was the last time you cracked 100. I did it my last 2 :o

Jarro
10th June 2006, 06:32 PM
oops, i didn't realise things were that bad :oops:

maybe a lesson or two might be in order ?

perci
10th June 2006, 06:44 PM
Or maybe a new DRIVER,it hasn't worked for me yet but you never know.

goughy
10th June 2006, 06:48 PM
oops, i didn't realise things were that bad :oops:

maybe a lesson or two might be in order ?

Funny thing was, first game back I shot 82 after almost 5 months with no golf at all. I've had 3 games since then and each game the scores have gotten progressively worse. Maybe I'm just too fixated on getting out and not concerned enough with what I do when I'm out there. No point in lessons when there's no time to practise with I'm taught. The only time I'll be swinging a club is during my games. Not at a range.

Would just love to blame the clubs perci. But I picked the ones I'm using so that I can't blame them. And I love the stuff I have now. Unfortunately the blame has to lie squarely on someones shoulders.

And today I'd like it to be Jarro's fault :)

Andrew
10th June 2006, 07:04 PM
You should have thought ahead. I purchased 2 swings many years ago. If I ever lost my swing, I knew I always had another. Well, the Sydney swing market started to skyrocket in the early 90's, so my wife & I bought a few more swings. We rented them out, of course, to people who didn't have swings.

Well, we sold all my swings about 2 years ago & have since purchased a much nicer swing that's large & comfortable (a little like me).

David Duval had his swing stolen. Apparently, he went out celebrating after his British Open win, parked it in a council parking lot & when he came out it was gone. Where as, Ian Baker Finch got drunk after his win at Royal Birkdale & forgot where he parked his swing. He still had his putting stroke because he always keeps that in his pocket, but he doesn't remember where his swing was parked & still hasn't found it.

Ben Curtis leased his swing, but unfortunately the lease ran out.

Jarro
10th June 2006, 07:10 PM
no-one stole Goughy's swing Andrew.

it was a datsun 120Y :roll:

perci
10th June 2006, 08:25 PM
Try BEER when ever I'm playing bad BEER makes it better,although when ever i'm playing well BEER may & I say may have a detrimental effect.